‘Secret Life’ Series Finale Recap: Did Amy & Ricky Finally Get Married?

Mon, June 3, 2013 10:59pm EDT by 177 Comments 16,949 Article Views
Secret Life Series Finale
Courtesy of ABC Family

Shay

Posted at 3:51 PM on June 20, 2013

This is the worst show in tv history..

Enough said

gamer girl

Posted at 9:07 PM on June 19, 2013

I really wanted Amy and Ben together. He really loved Amy. Ricky deserved someone better. Such a horrible ending…

Fatimah

Posted at 2:50 PM on June 18, 2013

Unbelievable! Series like this just make you nt wnt 2 watch another one. Really brenda, this was the best you could do? I was so happy wen ricky proposed to amy and then this is what u gv us? UGH!

tami

Posted at 4:44 PM on June 15, 2013

i was so unbelievably upset that ricky and amy didnt end up together… Ricky was amazing. Amy is an idiot for leaving him and ridiculously selfish for leaving her son. PISSED at that ending… UGH!

BTW i could never stand ben… he was so annoying.

Karen

Posted at 11:12 PM on June 14, 2013

The ending was so disappointing! I actually didn’t realize THAT was the finale!! It sucks, everything is wrong. Amy is supposed to marry Ricky, that’s what everyone was waiting for!! Ben is so stupid for not leaving Amy alone to be with Ricky. He would annoy me just watching him. He didn’t deserve to end up with Amy!! Ugh, sorry excuse for an ending.

Natalie

Posted at 9:49 PM on June 13, 2013

On a side note, it was getting really redundant and frustrating with Amy going back and forth a thousand times for the past few seasons about Ricky. And then this is the ending we get.. terrible. Hopefully they’ll end up together again in the future.

Natalie

Posted at 9:47 PM on June 13, 2013

I am so mad! I, and everyone else, wanted Amy and Ricky to end up together so badly! She was the one who pushed Ricky to propose in the first place, and now she just turned on him, leaving him to raise John mostly by himself. And I hate that they made it seem like Ben and Amy would get back together. I hate Ben so much. He was always such a creeper and a freak; I can’t believe Amy could still have feelings for that maniac. How could she ditch Ricky, who is cuter, nicer, and the father of her baby, for Ben! He did everything for her, and turned into the perfect husband and father all for her and John, and now it was all for nothing.

Micchan

Posted at 8:33 AM on June 13, 2013

I can’t believe they made us wait 5 seasons for this crap. If the season finale was the episode where Ricky proposes to Amy, that would be 6392638 times better than this finale. Better yet the Christmas episode.. They switched Ricky from a sex-addict, cheating, player to a loyal, caring, romantic guy (which he did so because Amy told him to if he wanted to be with her) what does he get? His fiancée leaves him with their son. That’s a nice message to teen moms: “If your baby-daddy actually cares about you and the child, and wants to marry you, you should leave him and the baby without saying good bye and go off to to whatever you want to. Especially if he turns out to be the man you want him to be!” Yeah. So much for helping teen moms out there. I fell in love with RickyxAmy and my heart just shattered when she left him like that. Not to mention the fact that you only gave Adrian, the one who said she was fine alone and ruined so many relationships, a happy ending. They also forgot Ricky’s brother. I’m guessing the writers were on drugs or intoxicated of some sort because I could have written a better ending when I was in elementary school. I feel like I’ve wasted so many years on this show. I always got excited for the new episodes and skipped homework and studying to watch it. If I could take back those years, I would in a heartbeat.

Micchan

Posted at 8:26 AM on June 13, 2013

I can’t believe they made us wait 5 seasons for this crap. If the season finale was the episode where Ricky proposes to Amy, that would be 6392638 times better than this finale. They switched Ricky from a sex-addict, cheating, player to a loyal, caring, romantic guy (which he did so because Amy told him to if he wanted to be with her) what does he get? His fiancée leaves him with their son. That’s a nice message to teen moms: “If your baby-daddy actually cares about you and the child, and wants to marry you, you should leave him and the baby without saying good bye and go off to to whatever you want to. Especially if he turns out to be the man you want him to be!”

Neva

Posted at 1:51 PM on June 12, 2013

I am with everyone else, the ending was so disappointing and honestly, kind of predictable. The entire series every viewer was on the edge of their seats wondering and sort of doubting the Amy and Ricky would have the love and family they both had always wanted. But in the end, yet again.. we are left witht he reality of life in a drama series. Everyone knows we all have choices so no we did not need to see Amy leave unmarried and happy to go away to New York for it to seem “real”. As much as Ricky sucked as a person at first he grew into a great guy and amazing father that he never had for Amy and John. So I was extremely mad when That never even mattered and they ended up apart anyway.
The way they played Ben into the mix just made me not like his character at all. Who could be so crazy and obsessive as to hack their ex’s computer and read her personal thoughts? Ew. Not for me. No thank you!
Honestly, I LOVED that Henry ended up enlisting in to the military, i found that very surprising yet heart warming! and Of course he and Alice ended up together, they were too cute not to and just didnt fit with anyone else.
Adrian and Omar, so did not think it would happen for them. But a part of me didn’t believe their break up scene one bit. Seemed like something she would dream due to her guilty conscious. Though she was a super sleaze i like that she ended up happy. She went through a lot of growing up and breaking down through the entire series, i think happy is what she deserved to be.
Now Grace and Jack. oh my. Grace alone was a rollercoaster ride to like but Jack was so girly and frilly. I could see she wasn’t going to stayw ith him because he lost his edge of being the cool strong football player and became this weak little boy. Grace was just too jellyfish-like. had no spine to just lay it into him and they had to play his character out all the way.

Overall, i was super disappointed. Yes it was a mixed ending and just not very settling. Definitely leaves us devoted Secret Lifers with no closure on the show. I definitely hope there is at least a mini summer series to reupt in the future, i mean as long as the story keeps us guessing it could go for a few more years. I was really hoping it would!

Meagan

Posted at 9:44 AM on June 12, 2013

I’m not disappointed with the finale, I think all the flashbacks made it very emotional.
However, I do wish Amy and Ricky would have ended up together.
The message that the real ending portrays is that one should always ‘feel’ in love, and if you don’t have that feeling like there was in the beginning, well then you aren’t in love anymore. When the truth is, love is less about a feeling, and more about a choice..love is action, and whomever you end up with, it is going to be work, and you are not always going to be happy, it requires commitment to ride it out, that is what the promise is for.
Divorce is so rampant now because, like this, happiness is elevated more than the commitment.

I think Adrian got an important lesson, realizing how much Omar meant to her, and she won’t want to lose him again. I myself have been in a similar situation.

As a Christian, Grace and Jack drove me crazy the whole time with the way that Christianity was portrayed. Being a christian one minute, and not the next…I’m not surprised as we live in an antichrist world. Salvation in Jesus Christ doesn’t mean you have to live any certain way. While there is a way a christian OUGHT to live, it boils down to this: we are sinners, deserving of eternal death (hell) but God loves us, and demonstrated his love toward us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. God the father sent his son to die on the cross, in OUR place to take the punishment FOR us. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through his son, Jesus Christ. If we will humble ourselves and confess that we are a guilty sinner, and ask Jesus to come into our heart and save us, and take us to heaven when we die, then he WILL!!!! He promises in his word, and does not make a promise he won’t keep. I testify to this truth, and I was agnostic before I was born again, and God changed my heart and my life. Get this matter settled, make sure you know that if you died today, you would go to heaven.You never know when your last day will be.

Melanie

Posted at 1:18 AM on June 12, 2013

I am highly disappointed in this ending. I’ve been watching the show since it came out and expected a huge grand finale.. not some flashbacks and everyone (with a few exceptions) to end up alone. I mean honestly, Ricky and Amy ?! I would at least like to know they ended up being actual friends or him and Clementine and her and Ben. I wish there was a prologue to show the outcomes. I’ve rooted for Ricky and Ben and Grace and Jack for way too long for a BS ending like this. I have tears streaming down my face considering I just watched it. I just wished it ended differently although the series was entertaining but if there is no follow-up, then I consider it a waste of hours of my life.

Erika

Posted at 9:00 PM on June 11, 2013

The end made Amy appear to be a very selfish Mother! If she does not want to be with the father fine don’t be but to leave you child is crazy selfish!!! Bad ending to me :-(

Kim

Posted at 6:46 PM on June 11, 2013

I hated the ending soooooo much. Amy and Ricky should of gotten married. It just SUCKED!

Lisa

Posted at 10:37 PM on June 10, 2013

Honestly I didn’t particularly like the finale, and would have wanted Amy to have her “fairy tale” ending and be with Ricky, but I think the writers made this happen for a reason. I think the lesson learned here is that you do have to follow your dream, and to the teenage mothers, it is not the end of the world if you have a child. Maybe the real message was not to settle and be unhappy with someone just because you have a child with them. In the end, both Ricky and Amy could admit they weren’t in love with each other and agreed to raise John separately for the time being. I just really hope they eventually give a follow up to what path she takes. I’ve been watching the show too long for it to end so bland like this!

Whatsittoya

Posted at 9:23 PM on June 10, 2013

It sucked. It made me think that I wasted my time ever watching the show.

lucy

Posted at 2:00 AM on June 8, 2013

This show has been in my life for years now. I re watched every episode. And for it to end this way ??? Its ridiculous and sad!! I mean first of all it wasted so much time on what we have seen. Couldn’t she dedicate this final last episode on were everyone was going to stand at the end??… there better be a follow up for it. If not this is how I will remember and let everyone know about the show “great show that had the worst finale I’ve ever seen”. I’m so disappointed .

Lillian Hulse

Posted at 7:18 PM on June 6, 2013

Yea I agree the finale sucked, what happened with the writers? They really screwed up on the ending.The ending was boring and lacked imagination. I was waiting for Amy & Ricky to get married since they met at band camp, and I was really disappointed that they didn’t.

Skylar

Posted at 5:47 PM on June 6, 2013

I swear Amy is the most stupidest person on the planet! What kind of ending is that?! Leaving John with Ricky to watch him while she goes off to college because she’s afrai of what she might have missed? If you thought that then you wouldn’t have had sex now would you?? That’s an image of a mother thinking of herself and NOT of her child. Obviously she didn’t care about her own son to stay and take care of him with Ricky. Horrible ending. I’m glad it’s over.

Lily

Posted at 11:42 PM on June 5, 2013

Most crappy ending ever. I get that okay, maybe Ricky and Amy weren’t in love and shouldn’t get married, but we didn’t get an closure either! she runs off to new york, after hesitating like 50 times, while we don’t get an answer to whether she’ll end up with ben and if ricky will end up with clementine. there’s closure for everyone else BUT amy and ricky, the most important characters.
Very bad example of a mother too, it’s okay if she wants to go to university of course, but they made it seem like she was sick of being a mother and dumped all the responsibility on ricky, without even asking his side.
I so regret watching this show!

johelen

Posted at 9:43 PM on June 5, 2013

Five seasons*↓

johelen

Posted at 9:43 PM on June 5, 2013

Most dumb ending ever. Wasted watching all three seasons for nothing so disappointed!

Letty Elguea

Posted at 11:45 PM on June 4, 2013

I hope that Ms. Hampton gets to read all of the truthful comments on the series finale. I watched this series because I really enjoyed another of her shows that use to air on the CW. This was the worst ending to a show ever. I am sure that I will not waste my time watching another of Ms. Hampton’s shows again. She should consider doing a follow up to REALLY give the loyal followers of the series the ending they deserve.

Vicente E. Kurland (@VicenteEKurland)

Posted at 5:28 AM on June 5, 2013

as Randall implied I cannot believe that a student able to make $4084 in four weeks on the internet. have you seen this link… Can99.c­om

Hilary

Posted at 11:14 PM on June 4, 2013

Extremely disappointed in the ending. Thought it was horrible and unrealistic. I will never watch another show from the writer again just plain awful

Naomi

Posted at 9:18 PM on June 4, 2013

The ending actually shocked me. I thought they would be going through with the wedding after all they have been planning, re-planning and planning on it. Im upset with the ending. Whats going to happen with BEN now? Is Amy going to be with Ben? What will happen next they CANTTTTTT do this to us :( this cant be the end!?!?!?! :”'(

Samiam

Posted at 8:55 PM on June 5, 2013

This was terrible I just watched it and was in shocked. It was so unbievable it was blahh…. Lol … I love how it just makes you wonder of the infinite oppotunities we as viewers may picture of the characters. Overall blah :2