Adam Levine Defends Saying ‘I Hate This Country’ On ‘The Voice’

Wed, May 29, 2013 3:36pm EDT by 23 Comments
Courtesy of NBC

EO

Posted at 9:40 PM on June 15, 2013

Adam, you are a moron!!!! and totally selfish if you insult millions of Americans who have fought for this country to give you the right to be a moron. A girly temper tantrum just because you get your singer selected. I wonder what you would say if something really serious happened. You make me sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dani (@deadpansnarker)

Posted at 10:14 PM on June 18, 2013

Whoa brochacho (or sischaco), relax before you break your exclamation point. It’s okay. You can chill with the misogynist BS (“girly” temper tantrum, really?), and given that this IS America and you’re allowed to say what you think of it, millions of Americans (including me) have fought for his right to say it. If you’re that heated because someone said “man I hate this place” in the spur of the moment, you have far bigger problems than what comes out of Adam Levine’s mouth.

Andy

Posted at 2:11 PM on June 5, 2013

Adam Levine is a jerk.

zyggie

Posted at 11:56 AM on June 1, 2013

I think the media is taking this comment and running with it. Media influences the publics reactions more than you might think. This is being blown out of this world. It’s a way to insight hate, dissatisfaction and a buzz for the show.

The fact that both were excellent singers and were voted off raises a big question mark. Even though the swom bros are a novility act and are good with the novality part of it the Voice is about the singing voice, that amazes me.

Being funny and making faces and singing (poorly) songs the tap on the emotions of the voters appears to have worked. My question is the voteing count not adams remark.

The voice is becoming a personality contest and not a voice talent contest.

skip

Posted at 7:20 PM on June 3, 2013

I think you are spot on

cora santamaria

Posted at 2:08 PM on June 5, 2013

The Voice is becoming to be a country music contest!! Enough of country music. Give it up Blake, were tired of your country people

rosalind

Posted at 12:52 AM on May 31, 2013

I think Ii i was Adam I would have said I hate country music because that is all thats left so I won’t be watching the show any more this season.

Sue

Posted at 11:06 AM on June 19, 2013

I Love Country music,just like many many people in our Country. I also love Blake Shelton!!! Without him the show would not be the same!! Then it would just be a Pop Music show. P.S. Love Love the Swon Bros. I think there is a good mix, I wouldn’t change a thing!

Chris (@Chris_1791)

Posted at 9:31 PM on May 30, 2013

Adam Levine has a history of hating everyone who is conservative. Remember he attacked Fox News just for playing his music?! He said it thinking no one would hear him so it wasn’t meant as a ‘joke’. If it was just a joke he would have said on air intentionally. If he had say “Oh I hate they way people voted” – would have been different. Words means things – he said “I HATE THIS COUNTRY”. He gets paid $6 million a year from the voice and makes $35 million a year total. He is a 1%’er. If he was born in any other country he would be making minimum wage. . It’s time for a new judge who is more appreciative of what he gets paid. He needs to make an on air apology Monday night on The Voice or he heeds to go.

James

Posted at 4:05 PM on June 4, 2013

youre an idiot and an ignorant one at that.

beverlr moore

Posted at 8:44 PM on May 30, 2013

I think that Adam was just as shocked as most people were with the elimination. I wasn’t happyaboutit atall. Esp. Judith hill d

Laura Thomas

Posted at 1:04 PM on May 30, 2013

Again…people loving drama and making a mountain out of nothing. Who fucking cares? Get the fuck over it. I’m sure he’s not the only one that hates this country.

Patricia

Posted at 11:54 AM on May 30, 2013

love it or leave it from a soon to be 70 yr young woman, don’t make such ridiculous statement and when you get hit square in the BUTT try to defend it, I have never made that statement, we are the GREATEST country in the world and the most generous

janice

Posted at 11:36 AM on May 30, 2013

When we are drunk or angry we say what we really have in our heart. Why any red blooded American would defend him I don’t know.

Zuki

Posted at 8:15 AM on May 30, 2013

Dude, no one is stopping you from leaving. By bye

Mary

Posted at 2:53 AM on May 30, 2013

Why does everybody exaggerate his remark? He was shocked & frustrated about the weird resutls. Don’t take hime down with unreasonable conclusion & accusations. Just take it easy.

Mo Davies

Posted at 1:36 AM on May 30, 2013

I loved all the finalists, but I did agree with the voting. If you follow the reality talent shows, you do see differences in the performances. The two that went home left something on the table, while the two who went through stepped up. At this stage, it is nuances that give the edge.

Dave W

Posted at 11:01 PM on May 29, 2013

Oh for goodness sake! People need to get over themselves! The guy made an off-hand remark, he didn’t plant a bomb. And last time I checked, we still have freedom of speech, despite the best efforts of George W to stamp it out (at least within a mile of him). So give the guy a break. It’s just a show, and he’s just an artist, not a politician.

chris peitel

Posted at 7:03 PM on May 29, 2013

Most far leftists like Levine hate this country!

Bob Livingstone

Posted at 10:06 PM on May 29, 2013

I am a Vietnam vet and I do not feel Adams remark was offensive at all. Any fair minded person could see Adam was shocked and frustrated by the voting and the elimination of two of his singers. I was frustrated by the voting as well and my thoughts at the time was that the majority of those that voted haven’t a clue about talent or performers that actually have superior voices. It seems that what most viewers like is country music or rap music and have little appreciation for real talent.

Sarah G.

Posted at 4:43 PM on May 29, 2013

I don’t take it personally nor do I think it says much about his feelings about the country. What I do feel, though, is that it brings out a bit of snobbery that I’ve been sensing from bloggers and other professional commentary about the show: they believe that trends in LA (or NY or Chicago etc) are the national trends or the BEST trends. There is a very large demographic in this country that live differently and enjoy different sounds, different music. That doesn’t make the voters stupid or inferior; it makes them different than YOU, Adam (and those bashing the country stars’ success).

Matt

Posted at 10:18 PM on May 29, 2013

You said it perfectly. It wasn’t insulting or offensive that he said he hates the country, what was insulting and offensive was his smug sense of arrogance and condescending comment about people who made their choice. It wasn’t like “I’m upset they disagreed.” It was like “I’m upset they’re so stupid.”

GeoffBot

Posted at 11:49 PM on May 29, 2013

The only problem is, this show is called “The Voice”. The best voice should win period. Blake has a country artist on his team who very well might have the best voice, but that last girl is total garbage compared to the two contestants who didn’t make the top 6. Adam’s frustration is probably because they voted for a girl because she sang about honky tonkin’ and Jesus Christ instead of voting based on her talent.