NBC Cancels ‘Smash’ After 2 Seasons

Fri, May 10, 2013 10:02pm EST by 12 Comments
Smash Canceled
Courtesy of NBC

The musical drama’s two-part series finale will air May 26.

If you’re wondering why the lights on Broadway are dimmed, it’s because NBC has officially announced that Smash will not be returning for a third season. Though the writing has been on the wall for a while — moving the show to Saturdays, following disappointing ratings, was not a good sign — the network finally confirmed our suspicions May 10.

‘Smash’ Series Finale Spoilers

The good news is that fans won’t be totally left hanging once the curtain fall on Smash. Showrunner Josh Safran recently told HollywoodLife.com‘s sister site TVLine that the season’s final hour “was constructed as a series finale.”

Josh also teased that we can expect the following ‘twists’ from the series finale:

1. Someone finds out she’s pregnant. My guess is either Ivy (Megan Hilty) or Julia (Debra Messing).

2. Someone gets arrested. Is Jimmy (Jeremy Jordan) too obvious a guess?

3. A gay guy kisses a straight guy — and the kiss is reciprocated! All of my fingers and toes are crossed for Tom (Christian Borle) and Derek (Jack Davenport).

HollywoodLifers, what do you hope to see on the Smash series finale? Drop a comment with your theories and predictions!

— Andy Swift

More ‘Smash’ On HollywoodLife.com:

1. ‘Smash’ Video: Katharine McPhee Performs ‘Broadway, Here I Come’
  2. ‘Smash’ First Look: Jennifer Hudson Performs ‘I Got Love’ — Watch
  3. ‘Smash’ Season 2: Inside Karen & Jimmy’s ‘Tumultuous Love Affair’

Person of Interest

Posted at 5:42 PM on September 22, 2013

Just when I find shows worthy of my long term loyalty, somebody with an axe to grind wields it. First 666 Park Avenue was yanked mid season (last year). Now they took Smash off the air. Who decides these things? Ahhhhh!!!!!!

Sonia

Posted at 3:05 PM on May 27, 2013

I don’t watch programs on TV anymore but I love watching Smash on Hulu. Maybe Hulu should pick up the 3rd season. Smash always captivated me and I loved every single show! Be awesome and someone pick up the 3rd, 4th, 5th …..seasons!!!! Come on!!!!

missjnikki

Posted at 12:30 AM on May 27, 2013

I wish the networks would count internet views as ratings as well. If it wasn’t for great sites like Hulu.com, I probably would have missed SMASH every week. Definitely one of my favorite shows. Sad to see it leave.

As much as I hate his character, seeing Ellis return would be a nice juicy way to end the season in some form .

Person of Interest

Posted at 5:43 PM on September 22, 2013

Brilliant idea!

Phuong

Posted at 10:49 PM on May 26, 2013

I LOVE this show. It’s the first show in a long time that I am excited about. I HOPE that NBC will change their minds and put the show back on.

Bailey Kavanagh

Posted at 12:00 AM on May 25, 2013

I’m so disappointed this show is being cancelled. It was the first show in years where I didn’t miss an episode. The ratings may not have been high, and I think that was due to no advertising. When our TV’s are filled with such garbage, it’s a great shame when a truly good show is cut. There are many, many shows that are worn out that could have been cut instead of SMASH.

Bway_tenor

Posted at 12:31 PM on May 24, 2013

It’s extremely sad that shows like this, that stay true to an entire culture of theatre goers is deemed a bit too unorthodox for other viewers. Well some people say that broadway doesn’t appeal to everyone and is exclusive. Well we tried.

Nickie

Posted at 3:34 AM on May 11, 2013

I stopped watching the show after last season. I hated how it ended.

Amanda

Posted at 1:04 AM on May 11, 2013

I bet Jerry is the one who gets arrested. Yeah, my money is on either Ivy or Julia winding up pregnant.

abe

Posted at 12:58 AM on May 11, 2013

…………..even my grandma stayed in bed.

Amber

Posted at 12:33 AM on May 11, 2013

WHAT! NOooooooooooooo! I loved Smash! I watched every single episode, until it went onto FOXTEL! I HATE FOXTEL! NOT EVERYBODY HAS FOXTEL, IT’S UNFAIR FOR THOSE WHO LOVE THE SHOW, TO NOT BEING ABLE TO WATCH IT! NOW ALL WE HAVE IS RWALITY GARBISH! WE SHOULD HAVE A FEW DRAMA SHOWS THEN MORE REALITY! SOON REALITY WILL TAKE OVER GOOD TV!

Neva Goergen

Posted at 2:58 AM on May 13, 2013

I can’t believe they are canceling this show. Finally something worth watching and the pull the plug on it. Total BS