Shakira Should Have Saved Karina Iglesias On ‘The Voice’

Thu, May 9, 2013 10:39am EDT by 35 Comments
Courtesy of NBC

Shakira shocked us all May 8 on the first live elimination episode of ‘The Voice’ this season. Though she admitted  Karina was the better singer, she still chose Garrett Gardner so she could continue coaching him. Isn’t ‘The Voice’ supposed to be about finding the best singer?

Shakira had an extremely tough decision to make May 8, as did all her fellow coaches on The Voice. While both Garrett Gardner and Karina Iglesias have a tremendous amount of talent, Shakira saved Garrett because Karina is “so good already.”

Shakira Eliminates Karina Iglesias

The Voice is arguably the best show on NBC. It has the most talent, and its amazing coaches have great chemistry. However, Shakira is one of the newbies — and I’m worried she’s not quite sure how the show works.

The point is to find the best singer, not to find one who has the most potential and then help them become great. Yes, that’s part of it, but by the time live shows come around, the coaches should be basing their choices on one thing: how great the contestants’ voices are!

When struggling to make the decision between Garrett, 17, and Karina, 35, Shakira voiced her concern.

She told Karina she had a “monster voice,” then followed that up by saying, “You’re so good already. But, Garrett, I think I can make you improve a lot more.”

Shakira Needs To Keep The Best Singers

So, basically, she chose the one with the less-powerful voice to move on. Does she think Karina doesn’t need The Voice? I’m not sure that that is the way the show should work.

Don’t get me wrong, Garrett has a great voice. His performance of “Imagine” was outstanding, and he’s come a very long way, and impressed all the judges. However, Karina was one of Shakira’s favorites from the beginning; she was originally on Adam Levine‘s team (which bummed out Shakira), but after going head-to-head with Judith Hill, he let her go, leaving her for Shakira to steal.

At this point in the competition, the coaches need to be saving the best singers. America isn’t voting on who has the potential to be better, but who’s already amazing. Tell me, HollywoodLifers — do you agree with Shakira’s decision?

WATCH: Shakira’s Shocking Save On ‘The Voice’

– Emily Longeretta

More ‘The Voice’ Season Four News:

1. ‘The Voice’ Recap: Usher Relates A Country Classic To Having Sex
  2. ‘The Voice’: Adam Levine’s Team Will Win It All This Season
  3. ‘The Voice’ Recap: Sarah Simmons Cries During ‘Angelic’ Performance

Lorrine

Posted at 11:00 PM on February 20, 2014

It’s actually a cool and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this useful
info with us. Please keep us informed like
this. Thank you for sharing.

Bridgitte Raven

Posted at 4:19 PM on June 18, 2013

More youth obsession typical of todays winning music industry formula.

Lana

Posted at 12:23 PM on May 15, 2013

I agree with Shakira’s decision. I would keep Garrett as well. Karina seemed to me as she was not that excited about being coached. Karina probably thinks she is too good to take advice from Shakira. I am sure Shakira noticed it. Also, Karina is good, but nothing is unique and no charisma.

tracy

Posted at 10:49 PM on May 13, 2013

It’s not a competition for who can be the best coach/teacher. These contestants have worked hard to be on the show. Bad choice.

Michael

Posted at 9:32 AM on May 12, 2013

I think that Garrett Gardner is the WHOLE package; good looks, charm, and a unique singing voice!!!

Ginny

Posted at 9:32 PM on May 13, 2013

:D I love Garrett he’s my favorite :)!

Jen

Posted at 12:28 AM on May 12, 2013

Come on…at this point it IS about the best performances. We are suppose to vote for the best performances and so should the coaches. As far as i’m concerned, once you come that far, you should take all you’ve learned so far and sing your butt off or get the boot. Garrett is pretty good I guess, but he’s not better than Karina. She hasn’t made the best choices so far, and as good as Monique was, she didn’t win her battle. She shouldn’t save them just because their latina. If they want to make another show where the coaches take less experienced singers and try to coach them to stardom, they should do that. That’s actually a great idea. You heard it here first. Lol.

jasmine

Posted at 8:32 PM on May 13, 2013

Agree

Gaby

Posted at 9:28 AM on May 11, 2013

Isn’t this show really about coaching and to help improving? Shakira was right. On the whole show Garrett has the most destinctive voice. I think Garrett belongs on the voice

Michael

Posted at 9:34 AM on May 12, 2013

I agree with you, Gaby!!! I think that Garrett Gardner has a very unique voice and deserves to stay on The Voice. I’m looking forward to the show tomorrow!!!!

andrew

Posted at 5:50 AM on May 11, 2013

Guys shakira is a superstar. She knows what she’s doing.

aragorn82

Posted at 7:00 AM on May 10, 2013

Anyone else notice that all the talent (Garrett is not included in that number) left on Shakira’s team came from Adam’s? :P

Honestly, I think h=she’s banging Garrett. Why else would she keep him?

jess

Posted at 6:43 AM on May 10, 2013

Eh…I think she could have gone either way. Both contestants were good in their own way and I see a lot of star quality in Garrett, so there really was no “right” decision. Shakira’s biggest mistake was getting rid of Monique. Monique wasn’t perfect, but she should have recognized the same potential in her that she saw in Garrett, who also wasn’t perfect. It’s kind of sad that there were four very talented latinas on the show and they all were eliminated.

Alex

Posted at 1:36 AM on May 10, 2013

You could not be more wrong. Karina is as good as she’ll ever be. Garrett keeps on improving quickly. He’s more likable and charismatic. At this rate he could be a longshot with a chance. Plus, there aren’t any “rockers” left on any team. Pretty much every singer that deserves to go on did except for that Josiah guy on Usher’s team. His Muse cover was the worst performance on the history of the show so far. Usher is really hoping the Bieber good looking factor will help him but he’s so bad. Very bad

olive

Posted at 2:20 AM on May 10, 2013

agree.

jasmine

Posted at 12:36 AM on May 10, 2013

Shakira’s bad calls so far:

1) She coached Shawna P. to tone down her rocker voice on the song she performed and it caused Shawna to lose the battle because the other coaches were expecting that original rocker voice.

2) She chose Mary Miranda over Cathia, because supposedly Mary Miranda had more ‘charisma’. Not only was Cathia obviously the better singer, she was way more vibrant, alive and charismatic than the expressionless, doll-faced Miranda.

3) Karina Iglesias was leagues ahead of Garrett in singing talent. Not only is Garrett a run-of-the-mill singer with nothing special about his voice, he needs his huge yellow teeth whitened. He isn’t even remotely appealing.

My conclusion is that Shakira’s nuts.

olive

Posted at 2:17 AM on May 10, 2013

unnecessary comment about garrett’s teeth.

i like his music and his style far better than karina’s. i had yet to be impressed with karina, feel like i’ve heard it before, and it kind of bored me. didn’t understand the hype.

i would have kept garrett. a good voice, throw in a guitar, a piano, etc…and it can take you to different places than just…a good voice.

Kuniki

Posted at 1:54 PM on May 16, 2013

The show is called “The Voice” for a reason and Garrett’s not anything I would want to listen to on a regular basis. Karina sang with soul and I could feel her emotion.

Trina

Posted at 11:37 PM on May 9, 2013

Shakira is out of her mind. America loves underdogs. What happens to Karina happens to me all the time. I got overlooked at school and I get overlooked at work because of teachers and administrators who want to help the underdog or their favorites. And what happened to me? The underdogs are now the top dogs. I sometimes see the look in people’s eyes at work; who realized they were in a position to help me and they chose not to believing I would be fine on my own. I feel bad for Karina and I just hope she gets some new singles out before the show ends. Shakira did what people do all the time; they hook the people they like; feel comfortable with; and want to help. For someone who isn’t from America she acts just like most Americans; merit be damned.

Taylar

Posted at 11:20 PM on May 9, 2013

I think garrett is by far the better singer. He’s come a long way in a short amount of time and quite frankly I didn’t like karina from the start. Garret deserves to win. You go garrett <3

Alia

Posted at 11:03 PM on May 9, 2013

I love shakira as a singer but she has shown such poor judegment on the voice. I was so upset after losing j-sun and monique. Letting karina go was the last strike. Even worse was justifying her decision by saying karina was too good to move on but garett could become better if he just stays a little longer. I thought the best voice was supposed to win but shakira evidently uses a different standard of measurement.

Trina

Posted at 11:39 PM on May 9, 2013

I totally agree with you Alia. I hope Americans were watching and now realize that if they want someone to really stay on Shakira’s team they are going to have to vote for them; because Shakira can’t be objective.

Kuniki

Posted at 1:58 PM on May 16, 2013

I agree. When Shakira sent J-Sun home after he sang circles around Garrett on a ROCK song, because he has a special place in her heart, I was done with her!

Alexandra

Posted at 10:09 PM on May 9, 2013

Garrett all the way! He is so talented and deserves to be in the competition!
He’s just so GREAT

Alan

Posted at 9:32 PM on May 9, 2013

Karina may have one of the mostpowerfull voices but Garrett’s is more special. Plus, Shakira is not a judge, it’s a coach. Finally, Garrett’s prove with his last performance that he can beat anyone…HE IS A SUPERSTAR!!!

Ellie

Posted at 7:57 PM on May 9, 2013

Honestly, I’ve been rooting for Garrett since Season 3. I see something very special in him that is developing and Shakira sees the same thing. Karina never interested me and I think she tends to oversing. Garrett, I really feel something there, and we can’t just have a bunch of people trying to out sing each other on this show. I believe in Garrett and I can’t wait to see what he does next week. I’m a huge Judith fan, so, he has a huge challenge ahead.

roben

Posted at 3:00 PM on May 9, 2013

most contestants come with such sob stories that compels some judges to make dumb decisions (here, shakira). feel bad to know of their struggles and hardships, but a contestant like Garrett clearly isn’t meant to sing

Taylae

Posted at 3:47 PM on May 10, 2013

Garrett can sing. He has improved a lot. At first he didn’t have much experience. He didn’t know where to use the rasp in his songs. Now with the help of Shakira his voice is smooth and angelic. Honestly he deserves to be in the competition more then Karina does. Karina isn’t very likable and Garrett is, and I have faith that he will make it far. There is something special about his voice.

Carol

Posted at 1:28 PM on May 9, 2013

I don’t agree with your comments..Shakira said that Karina was a more experienced singer and very good already, but NOT Better. The show is about talent and marketability.Talent between the two of them may be a toss up but marketability clearly isn’t… From My persepective she DID save the Best singer !!

Mary Lou

Posted at 4:52 PM on May 9, 2013

I agree ….she is there to coach a good singer. What coaching does karina need? She gets up there and belts out a song in her own way…..these coaches are here to bring out the best in a good singer and wow us with the unexpected not the predictable, because in that case this show would be all about good singers, predictable winners and no “wow” factor.

cameorn

Posted at 10:36 PM on May 15, 2013

if they caoch the people that can use it then why is judith hill in it?she good already she amazing why wouldn’t she have gone home because someone else has
potential?

abe

Posted at 11:18 AM on May 9, 2013

pssst: take a rifle with you next time!!

josborn12012

Posted at 10:43 AM on May 9, 2013

No reply on any of the posts. But I keep getting posts from you folks & am at a lost to know why. Please delete me from your e-mail lists. I don’t even read the biggest majority of your posts so it’s just a waste of time. PLEASE DELETE MY NAME!

buddylee

Posted at 9:29 PM on May 9, 2013

Shakira may have forgotten that technically, it’s her goal to WIN the competition with the best singer. Blake has bragging rights. That’s all we hear about. If she chose Garrett, it must be because she think she has a better shot at winning with him.

Bella

Posted at 1:30 AM on May 10, 2013

Garrett all the way. Good for you Shakira. You saved the best!