‘The Voice’ Recap: Top 12 Announced After Shakira’s Shocking Elimination

Wed, May 8, 2013 9:10pm EDT by 25 Comments
Shakira Eliminates Karina Iglesias
Courtesy of NBC

And then there were 12! In the first live elimination of season four, each coach had to send home one of their singers. Who did they chose? And which elimination really shocked us?

Adam Levine, Shakira, Usher, and Blake Shelton all suffered with really tough decisions on The Voice on Wednesday, May 8.

Top 16 Narrowed Down To Top 12

After two nights of amazing live shows, it was in America’s hands to decide who stayed and who went. Well, sort of.

America’s votes save two singers per team, leaving two in the bottom half. Out of the two, their coach chooses who should move on and who should be sent home.

On Team Blake, Holly Tucker received the most votes, followed by Danielle Bradbury, leaving The Swon Brothers and Justin Rivers in the bottom two. Blake struggled to decide, and ended up saving the Swon Brothers.

Team Shakira was up next, and (to no surprise) Sasha Allen got the top amount of votes, followed by Kris Thomas. This left Shakira to have to decide between Karina Iglesias and Garrett Gardner. She looked really distraught before making the decision — and admitted that she asked God to help her, so she left it up to fate and drew a name out of a hat. In the end, she said she chose the person who she could help the most … and she saved Garret — really shocking us all.

America gave the most votes to Michelle Chamuel on Team Usher, followed by Vedo on Team Usher, leaving Josiah Hawley and Cathia. Usher was not happy about making that decision and was really surprised! However, at the end he decided to save Josiah.

Of course, Team Adam was saved for last — the most talented of all! Judith Hill received the most votes, followed by Amber Carrington on Team Adam, leaving Sarah Simmons and Caroline Glaser. It was obviously really hard for Adam to choose, saying that he won’t actually support the decision he’s being forced to make.

“As much as we like to make music a game, it’s more important than a game,” Adam said. Well put.

Host Carson Daly then actually had to rush Adam with the decision, telling him “you have to save one, we’re off the air in less than a minute.” At the last second, he blurted out “Sarah, we have to save Sarah.” We didn’t even get to see Caroline say her goodbyes and hug Adam!

Cee Lo Green Returns To ‘The Voice’

Meanwhile, there were two fun parts of the show.

When Cee Lo Green took the stage on Wednesday night, for a minute, we forgot what season it was. The former coach rocked out with season two runner-up Juliet Simms to his new song “Only You.”

Also performing this week was Rod Stewart — ironic since last season, Cee Lo had Juliet singing Rod’s “Stay With Me” on season two. Rod performed “Finest Woman” first, and then was joined by Karina, Josiah and Garrett to sing “Forever Young.”

Tell me HollywoodLifers, were you surprised by the results tonight?

WATCH: Team Shakira Performs ‘We Are The Champions’

– Emily Longeretta

More ‘The Voice’ Season Four News:

1. ‘The Voice’ Recap: Usher Relates A Country Classic To Having Sex
  2. ‘The Voice’: Adam Levine’s Team Will Win It All This Season
  3. ‘The Voice’ Recap: Sarah Simmons Cries During ‘Angelic’ Performance

proxy

Posted at 3:17 AM on May 16, 2013

Numerous thanks for creating the work to talk about this, I feel strongly about this and enjoy studying a great deal much more on this matter. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with a great deal much more info? It’s extremely helpful for me.

jane dow

Posted at 10:12 PM on May 14, 2013

Love Shakira but she missed the entire point of The Voice by choosing the worst singer. Karina was worlds better and deserved to win. This show has disappointed me beyond belief. Karina should have been in the final 3. Shakira, please re-read the objective of this show before you send home another star and save a charity case.

Mark Royal

Posted at 10:07 PM on May 13, 2013

Wow. So many negative comments. Hey, I don’t agree with all of the judges choices either. But I know without a shadow of a doubt that Shakira (and Usher, and Adam and Blake) know more about talent than all of us dime-store critics put together. Sheesh! Lighten up.

Steve

Posted at 5:43 PM on May 9, 2013

Shakira said Karina Iglesias had a tremendous voice and was an awesome singer but she kept Garrett Gardner because she could teach him more???? She must have forgot the name of the show is “The Voice.” You’re supposed to keep the best singers. Let her teach Garrett how to sing on her own time.

bjsmith

Posted at 11:24 AM on May 10, 2013

I totally agree with you. I was shocked.!

Chris

Posted at 1:56 PM on May 9, 2013

I am totally shocked that Shakira didn’t put Karina through.
This isn’t a school to learn how to sing; it’s for the gifted ones to get a chance for America to hear them and hopefully start a career. I really think that Shakira has been very helpful and considerate to her team, but come on, the best vocalists should go through to the top 12 & that’s not happening.

Molls

Posted at 1:12 PM on May 9, 2013

I think Karina has a better voice and probably should’ve been picked by that alone, but… Did anyone else notice a creepy vibe between her and Shakira? Like, Karina was in love with her? I felt that during the coaching, the song and then when she was eliminated. Just a thought as to why Shakira may have dumped her.

And Blake picking the Swon brothers (ho-hum, nothing special) over Justin (great voice, excellent and commanding stage presence)?? BIG mistake.

lexiegreen

Posted at 10:04 PM on May 23, 2013

Yes! I totally picked up on this so you are not alone. Especially as the show progressed. I almost felt that it made Shakira a little stand-off-ish. You can tell it during the critiques and when they were showing the coaching sessions. Karina was clearly starstruck and maybe too much for Sharkira’s liking. Plus, Shakira had this weird thing for Garette that I could NOT understand. Like she had a high school crush or something. She really liked the kid for some reason. Definitely the wrong choice vocally, but I think she felt that Karina was too into her.

Leena

Posted at 12:45 PM on May 9, 2013

Sarah Simmons<3

Bethnie

Posted at 8:30 AM on May 9, 2013

In my personal opinion based on vocal ability only – since this is THE VOICE – the eliminated contestants should have been 1:Carolina Glaser 2:The Swon Brothers 3:Garrett Gardner and 4:I was torn between both Cathia and Josiah Hawley. Josiah doesn’t have a lot of vocal range but seems to have more life in his tone and more emotion. Cathia has amazing range but there is a coldness to her performances and it seem to constructed. So for me – Blake and Shakira’s choices were poor.

Sharron

Posted at 7:46 AM on May 9, 2013

I’m just confused as to why Sarah Simmons wasn’t the highest voted in America. That just doesn’t make sense to me!!

leigh johnson

Posted at 8:35 PM on June 3, 2013

it doesn’t make sense!!!! It makes me so angry to see both sarah and judith go; that I am actually NOT going to continue watching..Amber is the last hope for some justice…American voters are stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rbcomer83

Posted at 6:04 AM on May 9, 2013

Is the author of this article absolutely positive that Holly received more votes than Danielle? Because I have a hard time believing that, and it’s not actually revealed who got the most votes. Just who is the first one safe.

Ulices P

Posted at 1:44 AM on May 9, 2013

Really Shakira! what the hell were you thinking sending Marina home? Oh wait you weren’t thinking and I think that’s really the problem. Karina was one if your stronger players and I court if your little boy toy makes past the next round. Such a shame!

Chepe

Posted at 1:09 AM on May 9, 2013

I feel that Shakira made the right choice in keeping Garrett over Karina. Karina has been at it for a while trying to break into the music business, has performed on numerous venues, and has not gone too far in that time; she obviously didn’t convince the audience enough to give her enough votes. Garrett, on the other hand, is so young and full of promise. I can’t really point my finger on it on what it is about Garrett that appeals to me so much, but I just like him a whole lot more than Karina.

In my opinion, Shakira did not err. If you didn’t want to see Karina leave than maybe you should have given her more votes.

Mark Royal

Posted at 10:09 PM on May 13, 2013

Perfect response. Someone who actualy gets it.

abe

Posted at 12:39 AM on May 9, 2013

what would you believe?
or is it: WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO BELIEVE?

crystal

Posted at 12:13 AM on May 9, 2013

People are being awfully hard on Shakira, she was obviously trying to be kind to Karina. She is loud and that is all. Garrett is the ONLY one who can be helped.

Jeremie

Posted at 11:46 AM on May 10, 2013

I absolutely agree. I think she was being nice to Karina, and watching those two together just didn’t feel right. She chose the one she could help the most get to the end. Blake did the same thing throughout the show, and chose the ones he felt he could coach better, not always choosing the best voice, but the one with the most potential, and he’s got a great team because of it. Karina was not that good. When she sang I completely tuned it out and I never made a connection to her. Her decision was the correct one.

Nana Rox

Posted at 11:10 PM on May 8, 2013

I’m so disappointed that shakira did not pick Karina Iglesias to go on to the top 12. Garrett is popular with the youngsters in the audience but he does not have a voice. We will have a female winner this year so Garrett may as well pack it in now. Karina – you are wonderful and we all wish you the best. Sad to see you off The Voice.

Janechaney

Posted at 9:35 AM on May 9, 2013

I agree. I thought this was about picking the best voice, not a voice training show.

TheGMoneh

Posted at 4:36 PM on May 9, 2013

Well, I’m so disappointed still that she didn’t pick Monique over Karina last week… life goes on, though.

Rambles Robyn

Posted at 10:44 PM on May 8, 2013

I like Shakira as an artist, but I am not sure what show she thinks she signed to do. This is not a show about creating an artist from the worst of the pile, it’s about finding one and coaching them to the win. Garrett Gardner should never have gone past his first performance. That’s right, the audition. She got rid of Karina Iglesias stating that she already has a good voice and she needs to work with Garrett. Her work will undoubtedly be in vain as only his mother will be the only one buying his music. “That is all.”

jeremiec

Posted at 11:52 AM on May 10, 2013

It wouldn’t matter. Neither Karina (if she was still in it), or Garrett have a chance at winning over the talent that is on Blake’s and Adam’s team.

jane dow