After Jodi’s boyfriend was found dead, she was arrested for his murder. Jodi has been on trial since January, and her fate is about to be decided. Take a look back at the key moments in Jodi’s case.
Jodi Arias, 32, has been on trial for the brutal murder her boyfriend, Travis Alexander, 30. In September 2006, the couple met in Las Vegas at a business convention, and began officially dating in January 2007. The couple called it quits in the summer of 2007 when Travis began dating other women. Although the couple ended things, they were still in contact, and there were claims that Jodi was stalking Travis.
1. On June 4 2008, Travis was found dead in his home in Mesa, Ariz. He had been stabbed 27 times, shot in the head, and his throat had been slit from ear to ear. His naked body was discovered in his shower by concerned friends who searched the house after Travis had missed a couple appointments.
2. Initially, Jodi denied that she murdered her boyfriend, telling prosecutors, “I heard a lot of rumors, and that there was a lot of blood.” She later changed her story and claimed that she murdered Travis, but only in self-defense.
3. The prosecution claims that before Travis’ murder, Jodi stole a .25-caliber pistol from her grandparents and rented a car in Redding, Calif. She turned off her cell phone and brought her own cans of gas, so she wouldn’t leave any trace that she had been in Arizona.
4. After Jodi killed Travis, she hooked up with a man out-of-state, which the prosecution claims she purposely did so she could use it as an alibi.
5. Jodi’s defense claimed that Travis was controlling and psychologically abusive towards her. Jodi claims that Travis went into a violent rage after she dropped his new camera. In her defense, she said that if she had not defended herself, Travis would have killed her.
— Jenny Pickard