‘American Idol': Amber Holcomb Shouldn’t Have Been Eliminated

Fri, May 3, 2013 10:30am EST by 53 Comments
Amber Holcomb Eliminated
Getty

angie

Posted at 7:26 PM on May 6, 2013

amber should not be eliminated she is a good singer voice like my idol whitney houston now shes gone im not interested to watched american idol now , im hoping some manager or talent to see what amber has and make some album on her i will support her as a fan. LOve u Amber !!!

Maria

Posted at 1:23 PM on May 6, 2013

Amber and Candice are the best and have been almost from the beginning. Amber definitely should not have been eliminated. If Candice goes home I will no longer watch. In my humble opinion Angie should have gone home a long time ago. Plays too much to the camera and tries too hard to strut her stuff and ends up screaming her songs. I do not find her genuine. Amber has it all. A voice, good looks and a humble personality. Too bad the viewers go it wrong. If the judges had a 1/2 say she would still be there. I do like Kree sp? but after Amber and Candice. I continue to find American Idol is not a talent contest. Often largely dependent on where the contestants come from, for example, the bigger the city/state, the more votes they get. The producers should figure out another way to calculate the votes.

Percy

Posted at 6:40 AM on May 6, 2013

In my opinion, Amber deserved to stay. She grew every week. Even though sometimes I wished she could have put more thought into song choice sometimes. My funny valentine, I was hanging on her lips, she was awesome.
Of the other contestants, Candace deserves to be in the top 2, she consistently blows my mind with her amazing vocals. Kree was one of my early favorites(not anymore) and Angie is kinda like Taylor swift in the sense that I can’t stand her. In her future I see more bubble gum music, wet microphones and screaming, just loud and annoying. But maybe she might surprise me with a great song, like taylor did(sneaky).

Michael Hamilton, Auckland, New Zealand

Posted at 12:48 AM on May 6, 2013

I was and am a fan of AMBER, so are several people I know here in New Zealand. Amber has fantastic well-controlled voice, stage-presence, good looks, top delivery and performance ability — especially being just 19. Yes, I see a future WHITNEY HOUSTON – like Diva.
In my opinion Amber and Candice sing the best overall of the four that were left. She should have been still in to top two (with either Candice or Angela).
I do like that Angela composes her own songs — that’s cool.

I am an event manager, manage two performers when they are in New Zealand (one an electric violinist, Hanna Lee, and an American singer), and Project Manager of New Zealand Christian Youth Film Festival. LOVE AMERICAN IDOL — great having such events!

Linda Zimmerman

Posted at 10:18 PM on May 5, 2013

I think that Amber was the best performer American Idol has ever had on its show. She had it all, including poise, beauty, the ability to draw you in with her fabulous voice. I hope she doesn’t give up singing because, I for one would love to purchase her first album. She is everything I can only dream of being.

blue

Posted at 2:19 PM on May 5, 2013

David Cook is forgotten? That’s news to me, and the rest of the world. His albums have hit #3 and #7 on the Billboard charts, which is more than most artists can dream of. You’d have preferred David Archuleta win?

As you said “it appeared as thought the judges and head honcho Nigel Lythgoe became aware of [Amber’s marketability], because [the judges]. . . only sent praises to Amber and Angie.

Sure, America votes and decides who wins, but the show has a way of manipulating the viewer’s perception of who’s the best.”

The producers hope that’s the case, but clearly their efforts at manipulation failed. And I’ve never understood why they feel the need to manipulate to get the artists they want to the end. If the artists were truly marketable, would they not succeed on their own? Granted, there have been years when the pickings were slim, and years when votes were split at crucial points. But this year it was obvious: the deck was stacked to provide a female winner, and Amber was a bottom choice of the 5 women from the start. It’s no surprise to me that she was eliminated—America put her on the bottom when there were still men left! I’m confused as to how some of your commenters apparently blame racism. If that were true, how come Candice is Top Three, and is a likely part of the Top Two? This Top Three was my selection from the start. In my opinion, they should have chosen Breanna over Amber for the Top Ten, even though Amber just edged out Breanna in the final Top 20 performances. Breanna was better overall. They chose Amber for her looks and what they thought they could mold her into, but that’s not what people vote for on American Idol.

Swag

Posted at 9:48 PM on May 5, 2013

Breanna, really??? That girl was nothing compared to Amber! Amber has the whole package! She only needs instructions and a music that suits her well, because we have all seen that when a music is well chosen the star power is even more enhanced! So, sorry buddy, but Breanna was trash compared to Amber!
Kisses

Minky

Posted at 9:15 AM on May 5, 2013

Amber is unbelievable. I cannot wait to see her become a global superstar.

Bwanga

Posted at 7:39 PM on May 4, 2013

Sad part of the competition all the time. The best is sent home early. Amber is my AMERICAN IDOL! This is from Africa where there is no prejudice of any kind. If Candice doesnt win then this will be the last im watching this nonsense.

Jennifer

Posted at 2:39 AM on May 5, 2013

See here is the thing – I would have been ok if I knew that Amber got lowest votes on that given night rather than the two weeks combined…. but if she didnt she didnt deserve to go. And what a voice – she always stands out when they perform together. Its not a race thing if it was we would not have had a diverse final four. But everything plays into the factor – race, gender, how hot you are which if you are a female can actually hurt you since the bulk of the voting audience are young girls… I do think Cree should go next.

Jennifer

Posted at 2:08 PM on May 4, 2013

The fact that they combined two weeks of votes was totally not fair. It gave a huge advantage to the top two the week before. Amber and Candice started the May 1st show already down Each week they should be going in on level playing fields. I am ok with them doing an automatic save because they need a week to fill but still go into the next week with everyone starting off from zero.

I wonder if Amber had the bottom votes for the May 1 sbow alone.

Gc

Posted at 7:59 PM on May 4, 2013

Amber, I love you girl! I understand the only reason you were sad was because you knew in your heart the American audience was sending you home. They have been trying to send you home for weeks. I, in all honesty, will never watch this show again. The outcomes are mostly ridiculous. I actually cried for you, Amber, but I know girlfriend you will have the biggest career of any of these girls. This show was just a stepping stone, for you for the musical world to witness what an amazing talent you are. You are a superstar, always believe that, no matter what your outcome from this show. From this moment forward your life will change dramatically. Handle it like the professional I know you are. Move over Jennifer Hudson. There’s a new kid on the block!

Jane

Posted at 11:51 AM on May 5, 2013

Well said , Gc. Amber is a truly gifted singer with an amazing career ahead of her. I think she was sabotaged a bit with poor song choices. She started out killing it with awesome RnB ballads that she obviously knew and loved, then kind of got lost with uninspired songs from forced themes. But even through that her voice was always effortlessly flawless. I think the voting public just resented how easy it was for her – amazing voice, effortless delivery, great looks, genuine admiration from the judges. I’m looking forward to her first album

terry

Posted at 9:44 PM on May 5, 2013

shouldn’t combine the votes from last week unfair are you serious if you follow your reasoning then why even preform that week if the show would have done the right thing they would have sent either candance or amber home then what would have been unfair if angie or kree would have gone home the show came up with this bogus lets not send anyone home in hopes that they could save there two favorites who were on the bottom that week guess what they failed oh the judges two favorites too where were the tears from Mariah when Janelle went home the judges are so bias this year it makes me sick

Judy

Posted at 11:57 AM on May 4, 2013

I am sure Amber was sad. She was young, beautiful, compared to a young Whitney Houston. But, American voters never get it right. Adam Lambert is a great example. He should have won. You rarely hear anything about the guy that beat Adam that year. PLEASE AMERICAN IDOL CHANGE YOUR VOTING SYSTEM!! Maybe America will get it right this time. I hope Candice Glover wins, becaue she deserves to win! I feel there is only one singer on the show that constantly brings everyone to their feet (audience and judges), gives me goosebumps everytime she sings. And the winner is: CANDICE GLOVER! In my opinion and I am entitled, Candice continues to prove every week that she can sing any genre, and has a voice to sell albums. Close your eyes and listen to them. Candice is the one with the unique voice, sings with more feeling and emotion in her little pinky then everyone on the AI stage. Don’t get me wrong, all of the girls are talented, but Candice is simply the best singer which is why everyone gives her well deserved standing ovations almost every week. Amber was great too and better than Angie in my opinon. Amber will not be forgotten and Candice will not be forgotten if she doesn’t get the American Idol title. I will be the first in line to buy her album and will continue to play Lovesong over and over again. That song should be playing on the radio….

halina

Posted at 5:51 PM on May 5, 2013

Yes Amber and Candice are the only two in this competition. What I dont understand is that USA doesnt see this! Listen to the voice. AMber is head and shoulders above Angie(who yells on the top notes) and Kree ( there are lots of Kree voices around) Amber is the whole package but also sings with maturiy. She doesnt suit boopy rubbish songs because she is a DIVA. THe show is finished for me. It was only ever Candice and Amber with Candice winning. THese two young womne are extroadinarily talented and Amber has natural star quality. ANyone out there with marketing skills should be snapping her up.

valerie macdonald

Posted at 6:50 AM on May 4, 2013

So let’s all just keep listening to the same kind of music, march to the same drummer, and let any truly talented or unique artist fall by the wayside. Apparently the producers/record companies are supposed to run the show. Candace is by far the most gifted. She just opens her mouth and music pours out.

Nimfa N. Mole

Posted at 3:33 AM on May 4, 2013

I totally agree with you… What keeps me watching AI this season is Amber… The three are amazing singers but Amber, to quote Harry is a charismatic singer.. The three are like gems or stars that are without the glitter… Amber has it… Every time she performs, she owns the stage…Angie is, also, good, but only when she performs with the piano…

Laura Atherton

Posted at 2:14 AM on May 4, 2013

I agree that Amber is an exceptional singer, but I disagree that she and Angie Miller are the two most marketable American Idol contestants in the sense that you speak of — good looks and out-of-this-world vocal talent. Have you heard Candice Glover sing and observed who she commands the room with her emotional and soulful engagement through song? I strongly suggest you go back and re-capture all of her performances since Day One: that girl is unshakable and a musical force to be reckoned with. Angie Miller is next in line — her raw talent is unmistakable. Amber will go places in life, no doubt but she was not going to clinch the title this year — Amber’s great but she has nothing on Candice. I don’t need to be a HollywoodLifer to see that. I suspect Angie Miller will win vote-wise, in the end but the true star is Candice Glover, hands-down. I hope America sees that in time. Ultimately, my money’s on Candice or Angie to bag this!

Laura Atherton

Posted at 2:11 AM on May 4, 2013

tyas

Posted at 1:54 AM on May 4, 2013

since my favorite idol Amber Holcomb has been eliminated i don’t want watching american idol season 12 anymore but I do hope that candice can be win this season

Dom

Posted at 12:47 AM on May 4, 2013

IMHO it should’ve been Krie that ought to be eliminated. Amber is a much much better singer than Krie hands down. I just can’t comprehend why America turned a blind eye on Amber which is arguably the next Whitney Houston that brought America fame and glory.
This should’ve been a battle between Amber & Candice alone. And sad to say the judges couldn’t save Amber however, their tears says it all to hate see her go and couldn’t make it public that hey America are you deaf or what!

Weezer

Posted at 1:22 PM on May 4, 2013

i totally agree with you. I think some of us have better hearing then others. She is the next Whitney or Dionne Warwick as Dionne was once reported as having the most perfect voice closest to a real instrument… Hellloooo that is where Amber lives in this type of category. When she held some of her notes boy oh boy!!!!! she threw me far away and mezmorized me as though to be hypnotized! When someone can do that to me, I’ll pay hundreds of dollars to see her. Good Lord, Music city watch out….. move over or you’ll be run over…here comes AMBER!!!!! all golden-like and simmering… whew!!!!

terry

Posted at 9:05 PM on May 5, 2013

the next whitney amber are you kidding obviously you have been drinking the judges kool aid quit bringing down a great artist by comparing ambers talent to a legend its insulting

terry

Posted at 9:26 PM on May 5, 2013

amber is one of the main reasons why American idol is so bad this year the judges did everything they could to shove amber down our throats even at the expense of more talented singers and what really sickens me is how up front they were with it shame on them not only did amber need to go but she needed to take the judges with her to compare her to whitney Houston is an insult to a legend amber had a big advantage over all the rest of the singers because in the judges eyes she could do no wrong and if she did stumble they were very forgiving and yet she still was voted off so whats that tell you at least maybe the comments from the judges on the preformances next week will not be so mean and bias toward the remaining singers since that god amber is not there

nicole

Posted at 12:35 AM on May 4, 2013

Amber should NOT have eliminated! NIgel will regret this lol

Jamie

Posted at 11:01 PM on May 3, 2013

Amber has a horrible attitude; I think that is a main reason she went home. She does have a great voice, but her low register is not that great. Her video package with Harry showed her biggest flaw. She wasn’t connected at all with that song, she didn’t understand the lyrics at all. It was bad. I do agree that the judges were pushing Amber and Angie. When the judges stop talking about the performance and solely speak about their outfits and makeup, then they are no longer being judges, but cheerleaders.

tonya

Posted at 11:42 PM on May 3, 2013

ARE YOU CRAZY EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS GIRL DOSENT HAVE A BAD ATTITUDE YOU ARE A CRAZY M F YOU JUST COLD LIED ON THIS GIRL REALLY B MAN THESE FOLKS.YOU STUPID INSICURE NO LIFE NOUTHIG BETTER TO DO BUT PUT THIS GIRL DOWN BULLY OF ALL BILLIES GET LIFE GIRL!!!!

halina

Posted at 6:21 PM on May 5, 2013

JAmie get a life. HAve you got COTTON WOOL in your EARS? Amber is a star. PERIOD.

tonza

Posted at 6:16 PM on May 3, 2013

Amber should no have been the one that went home we all know who that person should have be. But I don’t thing angie will be the winner . But I do have candice

karlene

Posted at 3:03 PM on May 3, 2013

They sent the wrong girl home last night. Kree have a good voice as well but can’t touch Amber. The fact that she can sing a Whitney Houston song and not flinch. Hats off. Amber you are not over. Lot’s of love and respect. Look at Jennifer Hudson. Kree will not win anyway.

VPauline

Posted at 2:01 PM on May 3, 2013

The top two from the previous week, Angie Miller and Kree captured the most votes. Do the Math, Kree doesn’t have to harvest a whole lot of votes to remain in the competition. The two weeks should not have been combined. Combining the votes unfairly gave Kree a huge advantage over Amber. Every week is different, with different song choices and the learning of new material. Last week Candice scored big with the judges on both songs, accolades of praise, standing ovation. Kree has the advantage of combining a lower count to her previously high count. It is enough to place her in the top three. Amber did not have a high vote count to add to her final score. I am sad and also glad that she is gone from this grueling unfair competition. Amberable has an amazing voice, crystal clear, beautiful tones, great presentation, and will soar to heights unimaginable.

hetty

Posted at 10:15 PM on May 3, 2013

agree totally. . Amber is already an American Idol!

Weezer

Posted at 1:30 PM on May 4, 2013

I think your are very right about what you say about combining the votes. I think we should start a petition and get Amber back. Amber and Candice should be the 2 finalist with Amber winning for sure even though Candice is amazing but lacks what Amber has which is mystic and mystery in her voice. Every time I watched Amber sing them slow sultrey songs, I couldn’t stop thinking how men must be falling in love with her by her soft but strong voice, sensual and so feminine in her rapport, then she pours all of that into her voice. Helloooo… NOT FAIR AT ALL. IF YOU ASK ME THE OTHER 3 GIRLS WERE SCARED TO DEATH SHE WAS GOING TO WIN IT ALL!!!!

Domanion

Posted at 12:59 PM on May 3, 2013

I agree. Amber should not have gone home. This is the first time I’ve loved all four top contestants, so any elimination is regrettable at this point. But I do not agree that the judges are trying to shove anyone down anyone’s throat. How do you get that from someone saying they love someone? They feel strongly about her just as any one of us feel strongly about whoever we like. Certainly, Randy Jackson has been with the show long enough to know that if America thinks someone is being forced on them, they will purposely vote for the least talented just to show the judges who’s boss.

Bettina

Posted at 11:02 AM on May 3, 2013

I think Kree should have been eliminated. I would have liked to have seen Amber & Candice as the top two. I hope that Candice goes on to be the winner.

christine juillet

Posted at 5:37 PM on May 3, 2013

totally agree-although knew when votes rom last week taken into account it would be Amber-also Texas big state and obviousy Kree benefits. Angie good but annoying-Candice and Amber by far the better.

halina

Posted at 6:19 PM on May 5, 2013

I agree. Candice is just out of this world yet Amber is in her own way and different type of song. Move over Adele, here comes Candice Glover. Candice is a clear winner, who could equal her? But Amber rightly deserves second place in this show and the biggest mistake the producers made was to let Amber go. I will not be watching any more until the final and if Candice doesn”t win it I will not be watchitng this show again. Producers take note!

Marce

Posted at 10:36 AM on May 3, 2013

Hey Christopher,

Who cares your opinion ????

You don´t understand anything about music.

cindy

Posted at 10:34 AM on May 3, 2013

No she shoudnt. She’s a free spirit who reminds me of the young ‘Whitney Houston” (RIP). She is a much better singer than Angie and Kree. But then again, the votes count. There’s a bright future for Amber out there and I CANNOT WAIT to go to her show. I CANNOT WAIT to buy her music.

Robert hayes

Posted at 3:03 AM on May 4, 2013

I also think Amber should not have gone. My question is if so many see her as a young Whitney
Houston then why didn’t she sing Whitney in the contest in her last performance?

tonya

Posted at 12:25 PM on May 5, 2013

OK you lost me here she song whitney song doing sudden death round and when she was picked for the top ten by America votes. So what are you talking about and standards was the theme and 2013 songs.Her singing whitney song in her last performaces has nouthing to do with that.People hear whitney in her voice and they see whitney in her when she perform you got to be a true whitney fan to see this.No one is saying she is whitney she never will be whitney but she has the potential to be great like whitney.