How tragic. More details are trickling out regarding the sudden death of the Kris Kross rapper, and the police report claims that he had been using drugs the night before he died on May 1. Chris was 34 years old.
Whenever a young person passes away, you hope that drugs or some other foul play isn’t involved. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case for Chris Kelly, the rapper from the famed duo Kris Kross who was found unconscious in his Atlanta, Ga. home and later died in an Atlanta hospital on May 1.
Chris Kelly Used Cocaine & Heroin
Chris had used a combination of cocaine and heroin just one night before his death, according to the police report obtained by TMZ. Early on May 2, Fulton County police also hinted that Chris’ death may have been influenced by drugs.
“It appears it may have been a possible drug overdose,” Corporal Kay Lester told the AP.
After being found unconscious in his home, Chris was rushed to the Atlanta Medical Center on May 1, where he was pronounced dead at around 5:30 p.m. ET.
Chris Kelly’s Family Releases Statement
Chris’ family released an official statement shortly after, both remembering and grieving their loved one:
It is with deep sadness that we announce that our beloved Chris Kelly has passed away on May 1. To millions of fans worldwide, he was the trendsetting, backwards pants-wearing one-half of Kris Kross who loved making music. But to us, he was just Chris — the kind, generous and fun-loving life of the party. Though he was only with us a short time, we feel blessed to have been able to share some incredible moments with him. His legacy will live on through his music, and we will forever love him.
It is truly devastating to see someone so young taken from the world, especially if the police’s report on his drug use turns out to be the cause of death. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.
WATCH: Kris Kross – “Jump”
— Andrew Gruttadaro
More Celebrity Drug Overdoses:
- Joey Kovar’s Suspected Overdose: Viagra, Cocaine & Alcohol
- Sage Stallone, Sylvester’s Son, Dies Of Overdose
- Heather Locklear Hospitalized After Mixing Alcohol & Prescription Drugs