Harry Connick Jr. Should Be A Judge On ‘American Idol’

Thu, May 2, 2013 9:38am EDT by 7 Comments
American Idol Harry Connick Jr
Courtesy Of Fox, FameFlynet

Harry was a guest mentor on the May 1 episode of ‘American Idol,’ adding helpful criticism and a great sense of humor. He would be perfect for the judges panel — here’s why.

In my opinion, Harry Connick Jr. totally overshadowed judges Nicki Minaj, Mariah Carey, Keith Urban and Randy Jackson as the top four battled it out once again. His down-to-earth personality and real, genuine willingness to help the contestants was refreshing and exactly what the show has been missing this season. Could he be taking a seat on the judges panel next year? I think he should!

‘American Idol’ & Harry Connick Jr. — A Winning Combo

Angie Miller, Amber Holcolm, Candice Glover and Kree Harrison had an effortless ease around Harry. His unique sense of humor had Angie giggling through their mentoring session — I’m sure it didn’t hurt that he looked adorable with those glasses!

Amber seemed so comfortable around him that even when she forgot the words to the song while practicing, she hummed and snapped along with ease, and really connected to the song. It was interesting that Randy pointed out that she didn’t connect to the song in the same way when she sang it for America that she did when she was singing to Harry.

I loved that Harry agreed with Candice about not changing the pronouns of Bruno Mars’ “When I Was Your Man.” They both knew that she could tell the story of the song. It was true — I completely forgot she was saying “man” instead of “girl” because her performance was so stunning! I love that he instilled extra confidence in Candice.

The current judges are obviously experts in their own right, but last night I heard the word “stellar” at least four times (from multiple judges). And if I hear Randy say, “She’s in it to win it!” again, I’ll snap. They all want to win!

I thought Harry was a refreshing change of pace from the judges we’ve grown accustomed to. At the very least, he was more likable than Jimmy Iovine! Sorry, Jimmy.

Would you like to see more of Harry Connick Jr. on IdolHollywoodLifers? Tell us below.

WATCH: What a Week It’s Been – AMERICAN IDOL SEASON 12

– Dory Larrabee

More ‘American Idol’ News:

1. ‘American Idol’ Recap: Candice Glover Has Best ‘Idol’ Performance Ever
  2. ‘American Idol’ Recap: Nicki Minaj Tells Mariah Carey To Clean Her Ears
  3. ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Dominates Diva Week

jane

Posted at 5:31 PM on May 2, 2013

i think they should do what the producers of “the voice” have done—find talented artists who dont have huge egos, have good chemistry , can joke around with one another w/o being rude and who give honest feedback to the performers—————they got it ALL wrong with the judges this season—it is nothing but a huge joke and i feel sorry for those girls who have to stand up there after singing thier hearts out and listen to the immature crap between mariah and no talent nicki!!!!!!!——————–i am happy that ratings have fallen to an all time low—they have no one to blame but themselves ————idiots !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cindy

Posted at 3:37 PM on May 2, 2013

jimmymackey

Posted at 3:27 PM on May 2, 2013

I don’t care for Harry, but yes, now that you mention it, Harry is the lesser evil of comparison with Iovine. Jimmy Iovine just doesn’t have much tact when he gives feedback, does he? So, I don’t like to get spoilers when I go in at my DISH office though, so I like to watch the show before I get there. I like how my DISH Hopper instantly skips all of the commercials with the touch of one button so I can save time and watch it while I get ready for work. That way I watch more TV than I could when I just watch at night and I can talk about Idol with my coworkers.

Holly

Posted at 2:58 PM on May 2, 2013

Harry was intelligent, funny and a great mentor to these young ladies… Idol would get some legitimacy back by bringing him on as a judge.. Harry for Idol Judge 2014!!

LadyBlues

Posted at 12:29 PM on May 2, 2013

Yes, Harry really was a great mentor to the ladies and he really knows how to direct them properly. I would love to see more of Connick on this show or any show!

abe

Posted at 10:43 AM on May 2, 2013

show “Dirty Ear”-Mariah carey the back door, please?

Lisa

Posted at 2:42 PM on May 2, 2013

How disrespectful you are Abe! Mariah Carey is a well respected vocalist, sold many sucessful albums and has more talent in her little pinky than many of the judges on the panel. I’m not sure who or what you think you are? But, before you say show someone the door, please remember that Mariah Carey has the most talent and is very deserving. If anyone should be shown the door it is boring Keith Urban or Niki who know little about the businees. But, seem to have more rights to be a judge than Mariah? PLEASE, GIMME A BREAK!! Stop hating on a DIVA!!!