‘The Following': Why Season 2 Will Be Just As Compelling As The First

Wed, May 1, 2013 1:00pm EDT by 29 Comments
Courtesy of Fox

After the cliffhanger Kevin Williamson left us with on the season finale of ‘The Following,’ no one is sure what’s coming next. But after chatting with the cast, we’ve got three reasons why season two will bring just as much — if not more — surprise and excitement!

When it comes to shocking deaths on TV, Fox’s The Following is at the top of the list. While the first season surprised us week after week, ending with a dramatic cliffhanger and multiple major deaths, it mostly left viewers wondering how season two could still work. Not to worry, HollywoodLife.com chatted with the show’s stars, and they revealed EXACTLY what they’re looking forward to next season!

1. Kevin Williamson’s Good At Reviving The Dead

If you haven’t watched the season finale of The Following, you won’t want to hear this: Joe Carroll (James Purefoy) was killed after a knife-turned-gun-turned-fist-fight with Ryan Hardy (Kevin Bacon); Ryan pushed him into a burning lake house moments before the entire thing blew up.

While the coroner’s office said the body was definitely Joe’s, we know how Kevin Williamson‘s mind works.

In I Know What You Did Last Summer, the body in question ended up not being the guy hit by the high-school friends; In ScreamNeve Campbell, Courteney Cox, and David Arquette survived every possible trauma; and on The Vampire Diaries, no one is ever actually dead. (Even after our funeral, Jeremy Gilbert’s not really gone).

I’ve got a feeling Joe somehow escaped that fire near the light house.

2. Emma Has The Potential To Be The New Joe

You may have noticed the Edgar Allan Poe reference during Joe’s ‘death’ scene: “The Light-House” was the name of Poe’s last work before his death, and he didn’t actually live to finish it — just like Joe didn’t live to finish his novel.

So, if Joe actually is dead, the flash forward to a long-haired Emma (Valorie Curry) reminded us that she could totally take over. The people of the cult trust her — aside from Jacob (Nico Tortorella) and Roderick (Warren Kole), and we all know how it ended for those two.

Valorie told HollywoodLife.com on April 29 that she’s looking forward to the progress of Emma’s character, and hopes that Emma will finally find some happiness.

My hope is for her she finds some sort of strength of her own, rather then be defined by the people she surrounds herself with or her purpose and mission. I hope she finds her own. [Her happieness] is always the face of Joe Carroll, you know! A white picket fence and babies with Joe Carroll, she could care less about the killing people, she wants a dog a couple kids and watch Game of Thrones at night. That is her happiness!

Well, wouldn’t that be a nice spin-off.

If Joe is really gone, Emma’s mix of anger and heartbreak over his death will drive her to be even crazier, making it easy for her to step in to the serial-killer role. Plus, season two will bring a lot of new characters into the fold — and sometimes, the best don’t appear until season two! (Jack McPhee wasn’t introduced until the second season of Dawson’s Creek, just FYI.)

3. Dream Sequences & Flashbacks Will (Almost) Definitely Happen

Executive producer Marcos Siega admitted there were a few different endings shot for season one, and there’s a great deal of extra footage. In my mind, that means there will definitely be flashbacks — or maybe dream sequences — with Joe, and possibly Agent Parker (Annie Parisse).

So although I admit I was really angry when Agent Parker didn’t wake up from Ryan’s CPR, I’ve got a feeling that wasn’t the last we’d see of her. And you know that wasn’t the last of Joe. Or the Poe references.

So, HollywoodLifers — do you think that season two can bring as much suspense and twists as season one, even if Joe Carroll is dead? Or do you think he’s still alive?

– Emily Longeretta

More ‘The Following’ News:

1. ‘The Following’: Natalie Zea On Ryan & Claire’s ‘Complicated’ Future

bob durkis

Posted at 2:38 PM on August 28, 2013

Just when does season 2 begin?

Roni

Posted at 7:07 PM on December 7, 2013

March

Adie Stone

Posted at 1:13 PM on June 11, 2013

It wasn’t a flash forward to Emma, it was a day later when it was released that Carroll was dead.
She was wearing a wig.

alicia

Posted at 6:44 PM on June 10, 2013

por favor tiene q estar los 2!ryan y joe!y mike!!!!!!

alex

Posted at 10:39 PM on June 7, 2013

Anybody else annoyed when Ryan gave up after like 2 seconds of CPR?

tan

Posted at 8:37 AM on June 14, 2013

I was actually waiting for Parker’s eyes to open when they started to get angry!

GSX

Posted at 11:22 AM on July 1, 2013

Abslutely.
Joe’s ridiculous escapes from an inept FBI kinda made much of the outcomes predictable!
I really hope Joe’s character is out of it.

Roni

Posted at 7:05 PM on December 7, 2013

Me too

caterine

Posted at 9:26 PM on June 7, 2013

I know joe carroll is not dead hekept me on the edge of my seat all seaon long and i hope to see him again next season i love this show and hppe it will never end

Joseph Mwangi

Posted at 3:05 PM on June 2, 2013

It’s only thru death that u find life,love n evrything else!
U get to b reborn…

Lauren Singer

Posted at 8:46 AM on May 31, 2013

I sure hope joe is not dead… I believe Kevin Williamson
knows better then to kill joe off. atleast I hope

Ava

Posted at 3:54 PM on May 19, 2013

This show is a giant turd. Period.

MB

Posted at 7:46 PM on May 17, 2013

I am not sure how season 2 is going to live up to the first. Especially since season 1 already had some disappointing elements, considering the show’s potential. Anyway, I wish they could get Adan Canto (Paul) back, nobody ever found him after all. Anyway, we’ll see how this goes…

terry

Posted at 12:14 PM on May 15, 2013

the best series on tv season one has kept us on the edge of our seats,
so many twists and turns, looking forward to season 2

wanda

Posted at 3:50 PM on May 14, 2013

I love the show..I hope its joe’s daydream about the final chapter..Ryan had to help write it..I want to see all of the men and women come back, love the group..they work well together..I BOUGHT IT AND DRANK THE KOOL AID..LOL Great job..

Farooq

Posted at 5:19 AM on May 13, 2013

i am Very excited to watch season 2 ,, i like this series :) , i listened news about Agent Parker Might Appear In Season 2, so

Jody Worrall

Posted at 2:18 AM on May 8, 2013

to all the people who dont like the show …simple do not watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I for one cannot wait for season 2

jane

Posted at 3:09 PM on May 3, 2013

I agree the show is too unrealistic but watching Kevin Bacon and his female partner is great. Make the show different but keep them.

Ava

Posted at 3:55 PM on May 19, 2013

She died.

Roni

Posted at 7:06 PM on December 7, 2013

I agree…. It’s TV let her live

Jessica

Posted at 5:17 PM on May 2, 2013

Joe needs to be dead. The show is getting hopelessly unrealistic in that these people keep out smarting and outsmarting. C’mon Good over Evil! Kevin Bacon is terrific and so is the female lead. They need to have some happiness and then she can go into witness protection never to be seen again until later that is when she is discovered. Hahaha! Like I’m the writer, right. Great first season. Can’t wait ’til next!!!

Sharon

Posted at 10:43 PM on May 3, 2013

Joe can’t be dead, joe and ryan are the whole show. It won’t work unless both are in it. Joe faked his own death, remember he kept playing ryan tape over and over, he can’t kill me I’m already dead. that gave joe the idea to fake his death. it was all planned.

Spanglish

Posted at 11:19 AM on June 3, 2013

You are right!!. I didn’t remeber that part of the plot but now I can recall that I did’t get what he wanted to do with that Ryan’s comment

saintcroix

Posted at 12:24 AM on May 2, 2013

I for one do not plan on “following” a season two. It’s like The police woman who’s son was kidnapped for an entire season, then she was kidnapped, then they cancelled the worthless BS. Emma needs to die, what a horrific character. She has betrayed all her friends, and I never felt sorry for her, start season two with a shot to the head for her. then cancel the series. Never more…

liciajoe

Posted at 7:45 PM on May 3, 2013

I’m with you all the way on that Ryan should have told her to shut up and then shot her in the head better yet gave Claire that gun and let her take her head off for kidnapping her son. WOW!!!!!

Ava

Posted at 3:58 PM on May 19, 2013

I agree. She needed to die more than Joe, who, by the way – I would not “follow” across the room if he had a million dollars taped to his butt. This show is horrible and Kevin Bacon deserves better. I hate-watched it to the end, but I am going to give season 2 the full ignoring that it deserves. Just ugh.

Starr

Posted at 10:02 PM on May 1, 2013

Didn’t really think it was that good…just a lot of horrific killing…wouldn’t be upset if it had been cancelled. I imagine Joe is not really dead even though that would be totally unrealistic.

Hazel G. Flores

Posted at 5:20 PM on May 1, 2013

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job Ive had. Last Monday I got a new Alfa Romeo from bringing in $7778. I started this 9 months ago and practically straight away started making more than $83 per hour. I work through this link, MOJO50.COM

Sylwia