Boy Scouts To Lift Ban On Openly Gay Youth Members

Fri, April 19, 2013 5:37pm EST by 11 Comments
Boy Scouts Gay Ban
Courtesy of NBC

The Boy Scouts of America are set to end the ban on openly gay youth members, but gay adults will still be prohibited from serving as troop leaders. Do YOU think that’s fair?

The Boy Scouts of America are finally expressing their empathy with the gay community. The organization announced on April 19 that the proposal to end the controversial ban on gay members would be voted on by its National Council the week of May 20.

Boy Scouts Leave No Room For Gay Adults

Gay rights groups have pushed for a complete removal of the ban, but churches and conservative groups have stood in their way, claiming that the new proposal will create more criticism from both sides. The Boy Scouts of America estimated that alleviating the ban on gay adults could possibly cost the organization 100,000 to 350,000 members according to ABC News.

Boy Scout Survey Reveals Members Want Gay Leaders Banned

In January, the Boy Scouts mentioned a plan they had in mind that would give local Scout units the option of allowing gays as youth members and adult leaders. However, the organization decided to only propose gay youth after they surveyed nearly one million members in the Scout community. The statement from the Scouts said:

While perspectives and opinions vary significantly, parents, adults in the Scouting community and teens alike tend to agree that youth should not be denied the benefit of Scouting.

From the survey, the Boy Scouts discovered that respondents were in favor of their current policy of keeping gays out by a margin of 61 percent to 34 percent, while most younger parents and teens were against the policy.

What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Do you agree with the Scout’s proposal of only allowing youth members and excluding adult leaders?

ABC

– Yakira Young

More Gay Rights News:

1. Stars Tweet Support For President Obama’s Gay Marriage Endorsement
  2. Gay Dads’ Membership Ban Lifted After Club Slammed With Lawsuit
  3. Celebrities Speak Out Against Chick-fil-A’s Anti-Gay Stance

Irv

Posted at 2:00 PM on May 23, 2013

USA – from Puritans to Impure-itans

Is there a connection between beautiful New England and entire American cities turned into smoking rubble? There is.
Take same-sex marriage. I would have guessed that a “sin” city (San Francisco? Las Vegas?) would have been the first to legalize it.
Oddly it’s been the place where America started that’s wanted to be the first place to help bring about the end of America and its values! It’s been a Nor’easter of Perversion (helping to fulfill the end time “days of Lot” predicted in Luke 17) that began in (you guessed it) Boston in 2004.
New England has gone from the Mayflower Compact to the Gay Power Impact, from Providence to decadence, from Bible thumpers to God dumpers, from university to diversity to perversity, and from the land of the Great Awakening to God’s Future Shakening that will make the Boston bombings look like Walden Pond ripples by comparison!
The same Nor’easter has been spreading south and as far west as Washington State where, after swelling up with pride, Mt. Rainier may wish to celebrate shame-sex marriage by having a blast that Seaddlepated folks can share in lava-land!
The same Luke 17 prediction is tied to the Book of Revelation which speaks of the cities that God will flatten because of same-sexism – including American cities – a scenario I’ll have to accept since I can’t create my own universe and decree rules for it.
I’ve just been analyzing the world’s terminal “religion” that has its “god,” its accessories, its “rites,” and even a flag. It’s an obsession that the infected converts are willing to live for, fight for – and even die for!
Want more facts? Google “God to Same-Sexers: Hurry Up” and “Government-Approved Illegals.”

/ Spotted the above shock-piece on the never boring web. Enjoy. /

Dhandapani

Posted at 8:58 AM on April 26, 2013

Hey Cool Post bro!! Keep posting!! If you need any pyjamas, Bermudas or boxer Shorts, Just click on my name

Just sayin'

Posted at 8:44 AM on April 20, 2013

A small step is still moving in the right direction! Allowing openly adult homosexuals to be a part of the boy scouts will not harm the organization. They may lose members and followers initially, but in the long run they will be better for it.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” John 13:34

Most people (and I say people because both women and men do it) who prey upon little boys and girls aren’t attracted to children, they want the power they get from dominating and taking the innocence away from their victims.
Plus true pedophilia has nothing to do with sexual orientation!

Nobody Special

Posted at 9:28 AM on April 20, 2013

@ Just sayin’ ;
very well said and I agree with you. I liked your comment because it was fair and did not point fingers.
I agree, that in the beginning, it may cause a few to leave, but then again, if the ban is liftem many more will join without fear of discrimination. :)
Well said.

JohnC

Posted at 12:50 AM on April 20, 2013

I expect a significant increase in paedophilia and abuse claims connected to the Boy Scouts. Most adult leaders were Scouts first, and there are enough paedophiles amongst current leaders. Openly homosexual boys scouts will contaminate the entire organisation.

Nobody Special

Posted at 9:31 AM on April 20, 2013

@ JohnC:
I expect it to be that way,too. That is the whole point of my comment, but I did not have the courage to be that blunt. You said it though. I suspect that alot of uproar with this decision.

andrew

Posted at 7:35 PM on April 19, 2013

I can accept ur opinion nobody special if and only of u never sent ur son to a straight female child care provider or allowed ur son to go on an outing with a straight female…because if u base sexual preference as a reason to be a child molester I’m sure u have already put ur aon in harms way?

Nobody Special

Posted at 8:26 PM on April 19, 2013

@ andrew:
Actually I have not raised sons. I had girls. And none of them wanted to go into the scouts. It was not their thing. I am the daughter of bi parents. I would question an outing with a straight female, for my son to go on one, and I would, personally, not allow it, unless his father or I were going,too. I most certainly would not allow my son to be alone with a female,until he is an adult. It just makes sense to chaperone my son ( should i have ever had one, of course ) to a doctor’s appointments, ect, and as his mother, that is the sensible,and responsible, thing to do.

Maybe it is because as the daughter of a bi father, whom many did not know he was bi,unless he told them, I was raised in a different era and by a father whom did not believe in announcing his sexuality,either by his actions, his speech or his dress.
But i have not had sons, instead,I had daughters.
The views I had expressed, on mormonism,were because I was in said church for over 25 years, and they were adamant about gays in “their” scouts. I doubt this would change even if the scouts did lift the ban.
Why some people feel that a gay man would molest their son, before a straight man, is beyond me. I am just saying what I was taught, in the mormon church. And considering the lds church practically owns the boy scouts, I seriously think that this would be a big headache for them ,should they challenge it.
‘Twill be interesting to watch,though. ;)

Nobody Special

Posted at 7:22 PM on April 19, 2013

Yes,I think it is entirely fair. Why ?
Because Boy Scouts was founded upon christian princaples and homosexuality goes against that.
What parent wants a gay man to teach their children ? That is what is on a parent’s mind when they allow their boy into the Scouts. They may not vocalize it , but that is what is going through their minds.
Plus, alot of christian groups advocate the Scouts and do not want gay men mingling with their boys.
Now, for the BIG statement:
They do not want the potential for a boy to get molested by a scout leader, and while it is not proven, alot of christian people feel that gay men have the higher potential for molesting their sons, than a straight man would simply by the fact the man is gay. Think of the over-night camp-overs. Alot of straight parents would secretly worry that little Johnny or billy is going to be molested by the ScoutMaster, or Group Leader. They may not vocalize it, for fear of retaliation, but they will worry.

Hey, so before any of you decide to slaughter me, think on this: do not blame the messenger: I am just vocalizing what I have heard over the last 5 or so years. As a former mormon, the mormon church is a huge sponsor of the Scouts, and from what I’m told, they will not allow any gay boys in the scouts NOR will they allow gay leaders.
( just trying to give a head’s-up here) . That is just the mormons,I cannot say for anyone else.
As a straight woman and as a mom, I personally would not allow my son to go to boy scouts if there was a gay leader.

@ spaz101: i agree.

spaz101

Posted at 5:50 PM on April 19, 2013

I don’t think this has any thing to do with question of leader ship i think it is more with the leaders may possibly thinking it would be okay to date one of their kids i am not saying all gay guys think like that but i think they should be allowed if they sign a certain form saying they won’t sexually abuse little kids or going into a long depth about what they believe in or not bringing their faith in at all

Tara

Posted at 5:41 PM on April 19, 2013

I think they’re doing the right thing, it’s always better to be safe then sorry<3