Selena Gomez Asked To Apologize For Wearing Bindi At MTV Movie Awards

Tue, April 16, 2013 1:04pm EST by 44 Comments
Selena Gomez Hindu
Getty

Amy

Posted at 8:58 AM on April 18, 2013

For the people who thought Selena wearing the Bindi was offensive, need to chill out. As I can see it I think some people upset that she isn’t Indian or a hindu and believe she has no right to wear a bindi. She wore the bindi because her song has a Indian vibe. I don’t see them complaining about Debra Messing, Uma Thurman, Gwen Stafani, or Madonna wearing a bindi. I don’t believe Selena should apologize she didn’t do anything wrong. She was embracing the Indian culture and not offending it. A lot of people Indian, non-Indian, hindus and non-hindus wear the bindis these days. It has become a fad and religious symbol.

vanessa

Posted at 7:10 PM on April 17, 2013

well ummm…they should t have kids!

nita

Posted at 5:24 PM on April 17, 2013

Seriously “the hindu society of America” get over it!! I’m a Hindu myself and understand the tradition and culture behind wearing the “bindi” but times and societies have evolved – the majority of single girls wear this as a fashion accessory to parties, weddings etc, etc. Have you recently seen any Bollywood movies showing scantily clad actresses dancing away wearing bindis??? I don’t hear any complaints about that!!

jay

Posted at 5:10 AM on April 17, 2013

I don’t see a problem here as long as Christians weren’t offended. >;P

ireen

Posted at 2:49 AM on April 17, 2013

i dont think that bindi only belongs to married.even in india many single even the bollywood actresses also worn as a fashion accessories

Tani

Posted at 12:15 AM on April 17, 2013

Im Hindu and all I can say is YAWN. I don’t know why people have their panties in a bunch over this when I have seen far more offensive things. Its not like most girls in India don’t wear the bindi as a fashion statement ANYWAY. What was more offensive was Selena Gomez’s singing, lol.

Sunny here

Posted at 9:27 PM on April 16, 2013

I don’t care if she wears a bindi or not. I just wish she would try to stop singing live. That’s the real tragedy here, folks!

hollywoodsuperman

Posted at 9:08 PM on April 16, 2013

To the people and haters who are ‘offended’ by Selena’s performance: KNOCK THAT SH%T OFF! Are you kidding me?! ‘Offended’?! In what way?! ‘It’s Religious’! So WHAT!! I see white dudes with fake dread’s and the Jamaican ‘crown’ on every day,but—you don’t hear all of Jamaica demanding apology’s! I didn’t see ONE aspect of Selena’s performance where she blatantly made fun of the Hindu religion! Not ONE! I saw Madonna have fake choir’s and take a song about ‘taking you there’ and adding a back drop in the video to ‘Like a Prayer’ to make it seem like a religious song,but—the entire Vatican from Italy wasn’t demanding an apology from her in ’89! So what the F&%K is the problem here?! It was a very tasteful performance with a THEME you overzealous fanatic’s! GET A GRIP!! You ask her(Selena) to apologize—when she actually does something REAL for you to be offended about! THIS. WAS. NOT. IT!
My GOD! It’s gettin’ so you can’t try anything new these day’s without some touchy whiner’s gettin’ ‘offended’ about something! EVERYBODY WHO DOES THIS SORT OF THING AT THE DROP OF A HAT—GET SOME THERAPY! STOP WEARING YOUR HEART ON YOUR SLEEVE’S! IT’S JUST ENTERTAINMENT!
I don’t see everybody lined-up to scream about and picket the show ‘The Family Guy’ and THEY go out of their way to ‘OFFEND’ EVERY CULTURE, RACE,CREED,or HANDI-CAP! Yet,I truly believe that they aren’t actually trying to ‘Offend’—just present Humor…
You know,Selena is 20-going-on-21,but,I believe that some of these ‘Too Gung-Ho Religion’s ‘ need to do the ‘Growing-up’…In-fact,after something like this,if I had been inclined to give Hinduism a chance—I wouldn’t bother now…I’ll never be a part of Anything that thinks attacking a young woman, who is just having fun, is the right thing to do…That’s just LOW…Later all; Hollywood—Out.

Hannah

Posted at 10:17 PM on April 16, 2013

No one said she made fun of the Hindu religion, she just disrespected it. The bindi is only supposed to be worn by married women, fyi.

Maddy

Posted at 9:26 PM on April 24, 2013

A lot of non-Hindus wear it now-a-days.. It’s stupid to be crying about it and attacking Selena just because she wore it on TV.

Hannah

Posted at 8:56 PM on April 16, 2013

Just to give everyone a reference, it’s basically like if a guy who wasn’t Jewish wore the Yamaka to portray a Jewish person dancing in a performance. Or if she wore a full body burka to portray a Muslim woman. I think people are overreacting, but I understand why some people are upset (I’m Hindu myself).

sue72

Posted at 8:56 PM on April 16, 2013

I’m surprised people are offended by this! I mean I’m catholic but you don’t see me asking people to apologize every time they use God’s name in vain by saying OFMG. It happens! And beyond this I think people should educate themselves in the flow of this business if they are going to speak up against an artist. She doesn’t dress herself, most of the time her outfits/makeup/hair is pre-determined for her. Most likely she just threw it on because they told her too and put in on her face. Celebrities have style coaches!

Isabel

Posted at 7:29 PM on April 16, 2013

Wow! I am surprised that people would be offended by this?! It’s stupid! I thought she look beautiful in her COSTUME! Jeez! How do u think Asians feel when people do chink eyes! They don’t care! They know they are joking around!

Victoria

Posted at 3:27 PM on April 16, 2013

It was just the them get over it please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamaica

Posted at 3:22 PM on April 16, 2013

No she shouldn’t apologise.Sometimes eople make jokes about other religions but do tey ever apologize? No. The world can not be controled.Some people prefer happy holidays instead of merry christmas which makes some people offended but there are no apologies. Like i said the world can’t be controled.

tiki

Posted at 2:48 PM on April 16, 2013

o.0 well then, everyone in hollywood who’s ever worn a pentagram for a “creepy” performance best start apologizing. this is silly.

S

Posted at 2:40 PM on April 16, 2013

“I don’t think it was offensive”? So I assume that you yourself is a member of the Hindu religion? Otherwise you really have no say in the matter. You can’t decide on behalf of another group of people what is offensive to them.

raquel......

Posted at 2:21 PM on April 16, 2013

Of course not . she shouldn’t be apologizing . so why doesn’t people ask vanessa hudgens to apologize was well? is she diferent?

AOKALANI

Posted at 3:26 PM on April 16, 2013

VANESSA ISN’ ANY DIFFERENT. I BET IT WOULD BE FOR HER COSTUME. ITS NOT LIKE SHES HURTING ANYONE. VANESSA AND SELENA ARE FRIENDS. IM GUESSING VANESSA GAVE SELENA ADVICE DEALING WITH THE HATERED.

ashna (@ashna46228378)

Posted at 2:18 PM on April 16, 2013

Its really stupid ! I am also an indian and i don´t mind cuz where I live I see people wearing saris and bindi in wedings but there not indians or hindu !

Ivan

Posted at 2:10 PM on April 16, 2013

Uuuggg! Stupid people and all their religious bullshit.
People are so sensitive. It this goes to all religion. They always think you’re offending them. They even get more offended thab their Gods.

jezoebel

Posted at 1:43 PM on April 16, 2013

Gwen Stefani wore bindis at the height of No Doubt’s career in the ’90s and no one said a thing about it. Go on YouTube to see Just A Girl. Why is there outrage over Selena wearing a bindi? Much ado about nothing. Selena has no need to apologize.

ELVIS PRESLEY

Posted at 1:39 PM on April 16, 2013

SELENA YOU ARE PUSHING IT TO MUCH TO BE POPULAR! SLOW DOWN OR YOU WILL BECOME YOUR EX!!!!!!!!!! JUSTIN BUT HEAD!!!!!!!!!!

AOKALANI

Posted at 3:26 PM on April 16, 2013

WOW.

LOL

Posted at 1:32 PM on April 16, 2013

Okay, my ladies and gentlemen, Miley cyrus wearing a bindi: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JdQDNR_Kdoo/TMRGCiWEszI/AAAAAAAABd8/gSLQzweLJ9U/s1600/miley-cyrus-bindi+(2).jpg
Katy Perry wearing a bindi:

Why are they telling Selena to apoligize? Weird retards

hannah

Posted at 1:29 PM on April 16, 2013

so those who are christians should get mad about people wearing crosses then since almost everyone wears them as fashion when in reality they are meant to be symbolic for religion.. jeeze people get over it.

lucy

Posted at 1:28 PM on April 16, 2013

she is an idiot

Howudoin?

Posted at 2:06 PM on April 16, 2013

How is she an idiot?

AOKALANI

Posted at 3:23 PM on April 16, 2013

NO SHE’S NOT. I WOULD THINK ITS FOR HER COSTUME. SINCE ITS PART OF THE COSTUME.

AOKALANI

Posted at 1:21 PM on April 16, 2013

IT PROBABLY FOR HER COSTUME THAT SHE WEARS ONE. ITS CUTE ON HER. YOU RARELY SEE ANY OTHER CELEBS THAT CAN PULL THAT OFF. BUT SELENA CAN AND SHES LOOK ADORABLE IN IT.

AOKALANI

Posted at 1:20 PM on April 16, 2013

WHY WOULD SELENA APOLOGIZE FOR WEARING A BINDI ON HER FOREHEAD WHEN CLEARLY ITS JUST FOR FUN.

krishna321

Posted at 10:21 PM on April 16, 2013

damn it! I was going to wear a bindi tomorrow at workfor cultural awareness day , but now I shall not. I will just wear my cross nose ring as usual.