The Saudi Embassy claims that the man being held in question by police, in connection with the April 15 bombings in Boston, is merely a ‘witness.’ Plus, CNN reports that he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The burned Saudi student, 20, originally considered a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, is being ruled out by police — he’s “more a witness than anything else,” the Saudi Embassy says they were told by federal authorities.
Boston Bombing Saudi Man: Witness Or Suspect?
“Saudi Embassy spokesman Nail Aljubeir says the Revere man is ‘more a witness than anything else,’” The Boston Globe tweeted on April 16.
Plus, CNN reports that this young man was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
“He’s been fully cooperating with authorities. We were informed by US authorities that no Saudi is a suspect,” said Nail Aljubeir, spokesman for the Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Washington. “We want to know about it [the investigation] as much as everybody else. We’re working very closely with US authorities on this. As of yesterday, we were informed that there were no Saudi suspects. He’s more a witness than anything else.”
The Saudi student said he had been at dinner with friends the night before, April 14, and was at the marathon simply because he “wanted to see the end of the race.”
Earlier today, April 16, it was reported that detectives raided the Boston home of this Saudi student, 20. FBI agents and bomb disposal officers swept his apartment in the suburbs of Boston, after he was arrested at the scene of the explosions.
When authorities arrived at the man’s home, his roommate reportedly opened the door and let police inside to conduct a search.
The unidentified roommate told the Boston Globe: “I don’t think he could do that.” He went on to describe his roommate as a devout Muslim from Media, Saudi Arabia. “He is a sweet kid, a kind person. He would not do this or hurt anyone.”
With the Embassy’s statement, his roommate’s comments and the CNN report, it seems evident that the Saudi Arabian man is more of a witness, as stated by the Saudi embassy.
On April 15, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis said authorities do not have a suspect in the bombing.
The explosions on April 15 claimed the lives of three people. At least 176 were also injured. Sadly, the number continues to grow.
— Chris Rogers
More Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect News:
- Police Raid Boston Home Of Saudi Student Held For Questioning
- Boston Marathon Bombing: ‘Person Of Interest’ Being Questioned
- President Obama’s Boston Marathon Speech: We Will Find Person Behind Attack