Selena Gomez’s Performance Slammed For Being Culturally Insensitive

Mon, April 15, 2013 11:24am EDT by 73 Comments
Selena Gomez MTV Movie Awards Performance
Invision/AP

James Freedom

Posted at 6:21 AM on April 17, 2013

Blacks and media are super-hyper-sensitive about any white person imitating a black (wearing blackface).

Anything goes as far as blacks imitating whites.

So now no white person can put a dot on their forehead? Are dots copyright of Hinduism?

Now that whites can not imitate Hindus (BTW, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery) let’s make sure Hindus can not imitate whites – all Hindus should wear dots.

P. Radhakrishnan

Posted at 10:20 PM on April 16, 2013

Rajan Zed is a Hindu Taliban in America. He misuses the freedom given to him in America. Bindi is not the monopoly of Indian Hindus. It’s quite common in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka South Africa and Indonesia. Bindi has no religious significance. It is used by girls as a beauty spot. But Rajan Zed belongs to the genre of Hindu extremists in India who are responsible for killing Christians and burning churches. Rajan Zed’s movements and activities in the United States are to be monitored by CIA.

ruri16

Posted at 9:51 PM on April 16, 2013

I am a hindu and i was no way offended racist and culture illiterate people should not watch TV .. I was so happy to see her looking so sexy and all bollywood i absolutely adored it #TeamSelena

mezmreyes

Posted at 9:50 PM on April 16, 2013

Ohhhh, just saw the Dancing with the Stars performance and it was worse than the MTV one. If she is going to sing she needs to stick to autotune!

Ashwani

Posted at 9:33 PM on April 16, 2013

I liked her performance she did a very gud job!

Ashwin

Posted at 9:27 PM on April 16, 2013

I liked her performan she did a very gud job!

amy lynn

Posted at 5:30 PM on April 16, 2013

but its okay for rappers singing about drugs and hos to wear huge crucifixes? whatever.

James Freedom

Posted at 6:22 AM on April 17, 2013

Everyone knows rappers are scum

d bhu

Posted at 11:26 AM on April 16, 2013

If you watch her interview with Disney radio, she mentions that this is tribal. This is Bollywood. Not tribal nor Arabian.

The Fara (@farafatale)

Posted at 10:16 AM on April 16, 2013

haters just can’t leave her with unique style xD

Kylee

Posted at 8:43 AM on April 16, 2013

I think her costume was cute and her dancing was well performed but hee singing was incredibly bad. Apart from insulting my eardrums I don’t think she was disrespecful in any way. Some people are way too sensitive…

ruri16

Posted at 9:51 PM on April 16, 2013

I agree

ashna (@ashna46228378)

Posted at 7:38 AM on April 16, 2013

I don´t think it was inappropriat ! I am also an Indian and didn´t feel bad cuz she encourages people to not be afraid of his coultral!!! So go away haters !!!

milly

Posted at 5:56 AM on April 16, 2013

oh please, these were just a few stupid tweets, I FEEL LIKE YOU WERE JUST LOOKING FOR A STUPID STORY AND YOU FOUND ONE. MOST PEOPLE ENJOYED HER PERFORMANCE. YOU’RE THE ONLY WEBSITE I’VE FOUND REPORTING THIS………

Aura Borealis (@OfficialAura)

Posted at 5:55 AM on April 16, 2013

GomezQuality

Posted at 5:32 AM on April 16, 2013

IT’S TO ENJOY OTHER CULTURES. I DON’T SEE ANY INDIANS COMPLAINING ALL CAUCASIAN HATERS. I AM FROM THE MIDDLE EAST BUT RAISED IN AUSTRALIA AND MY PARENTS ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO DRESS UP LIKE US. THIS IS RIDICULE. THIS IS HATE.

THE PEOPLE SAYING THIS ARE PROBABLY RACIST THEMSELVES

GomezQuality

Posted at 5:31 AM on April 16, 2013

IT’S TO ENOY OF CULTURES. I DON’T SEE ANY INDIANS COMPLAINING ALL CAUCASIAN HATERS. I AM FROM THE MIDDLE EAST BUT RAISED IN AUSTRALIA AND MY PARENTS ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO DRESS UP LIKE US. THIS IS RIDICULE.

Natalie

Posted at 5:21 AM on April 16, 2013

I’m Indian, I didnt mind it. Its a art of culture but its a fashion statement in india too

boring

Posted at 3:22 AM on April 16, 2013

selena looks like a child playing dress up

Vips

Posted at 10:49 PM on April 15, 2013

I am an Indian and I do not find it inappropriate. If Indians can do it and show it off why not others? I think it is good.

Giovanna Whyte

Posted at 9:31 PM on April 15, 2013

Come on, people, I have plenty of Indian friends, this IS NOT a big deal. Do you really believe your culture is reserved to you alone? And that if someone borrows from it, whether for fashion or not, they have to go exactly by the book? No! You’re all being ridiculous! My friends think it’s really cool that she did that, and honestly, so do I. Yes, bindis can be used as fashion accessories. She wasn’t trying to be offensive or vulgar in anyway. A lot of you don’t like Selena Gomez herself, I can tell, and you hardly give two craps about what she wore during her performance last night.

Phoenix

Posted at 11:50 PM on April 15, 2013

I bet those tweets are from the haters who pretends that they really care about cultures just to have something to say about her performance… We all knows how haters are, anything to make the person look bad…

blaize

Posted at 8:54 PM on April 15, 2013

Yeah, I completely disagree with the idea that it’s wrong to wear something from or do a dance move that originates from another culture, as long as you aren’t using it to mock or vilify the people of that culture. As many different races share this planet, it’s only natural that people will observe, like, and adopt art forms and many other things from different countries. It’s not an attack. People are being oversensitive. And this is from somebody whose maternal grandmother is from India.

sedf

Posted at 11:09 PM on September 10, 2014

Oh wow, a person who is just 1/8th Indian is speaking for us Indians.

Lol, get lost. Youre white, not Indian… 1/8th does not mean you can speak for real Indians

I bet you deny your Indian roots anyway loser

Lesly

Posted at 8:31 PM on April 15, 2013

Her singing is not perfect, but she is getting a lot better

Macarena

Posted at 7:05 PM on April 15, 2013

Well, i don’t hate her nor do i judge her but I’m an Indian and i know that a bindi is not just a fashion accessory.. It’s a tradition which we follow since years; and wearing it while performing is not bad but take a proper look at what she is wearing!!! FOR GOD’S SAKE SELENA, WHY?!!! I’m a Belieber since the start and i never disrespected her.. But this is just over the edge.. We Indian’s wear clothes like ‘Sarees and Kurta’s etc’ with bindi; not shreds of a remaining dress!

Lesly

Posted at 8:32 PM on April 15, 2013

I agree with you.

taketwo

Posted at 12:54 AM on April 16, 2013

You know a lot people probably don’t even know WTF you’re talking about because we do have a lot cultures out there. I don’t think she even knew was disrespecting your culture at all. How much do you know about her culture? It was just a show she put on and knowing her she would never offend anybody’s culture. But who ever wrote these comments I’m sure are Selena haters. Quit making fools of yourselves and get the f**k out of here!

sabulba

Posted at 2:29 AM on April 16, 2013

She was wearing 100X more clothes than bollywood actresses wear in their own movies. She obviously was copying the entertainment aspect of indian culture…not the religious/cultural norms.

Jazz

Posted at 6:35 PM on April 15, 2013

ok people need to think before they say i’m indian and i know that a bhindi is just a fashion accessory anyone can wear it and the performance wasn’t insulting at all she even reminded me of priyanka chopra in it

Macarena

Posted at 7:13 PM on April 15, 2013

Yeah! anyone can wear it but they should show some respect by wearing that kind of clothes which we wear a bindi on! And piggy chops was wearing a proper dress while her performance.. I can’t even explain what she is wearing in that pic above!!

Amy

Posted at 10:43 AM on June 19, 2013

if you were indian you’d know that its spelled “bindi” not bhindi, “bhindi” is a kind of vegetable. -sigh- people these days.

maren

Posted at 6:24 PM on April 15, 2013

I didn’t think the cultural thing was a big deal…it was her singing that was so horrible. She either needs to work on her cardio so that she sounds better live, or she should lip sync if she’s gonna dance so much.

Sarah

Posted at 6:21 PM on April 15, 2013

She looked ridiculous,she can’t sing neither

shenica

Posted at 11:11 AM on April 17, 2013

she do not look ridiculous she looks beautiful and verry grown up