Dad Accidently Severs Feet Of Daughter, 2, With Lawn Mower

Fri, April 12, 2013 6:45pm EDT by 9 Comments
Lawn Mower Accident
Courtesy of Facebook

A Florida dad was left horrified after he accidentally ran over his two-year-old daughter in their yard with his riding lawnmower, dragging her down the driveway and severing her feet. Read on for more shocking details.

Jeremiah Nugent, 47, started up his family’s lawnmower in their Florida home on April 10, and planned to drive it into the garage. Instead, he put the machine in reverse — not knowing his daughter Ireland Nugent, 2, was behind him — and ran over his precious girl.

Dad Cuts Off Daughter’s Feet: The Tragic Lawn Mower Accident

Jeremiah says he was planning on driving his riding lawnmower into the family garage in their Palm Harbor, Fla. home around 7 p.m. on April 10, according to police. His wife Nicole warned him of an object in front of him, so he put the mower in reverse — but apparently did not notice his daughter was behind him. He unknowingly ran over his daughter — and accidentally dragged her the length of their driveway.

As soon as the panicked dad realized what he had done, he immediately shut off the machine, and his wife called 911. According to police, both of her feet were severed and her hand was injured.

Ireland’s Surgery To Remove Appendages

After the tragic accident, she was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital, where she was treated for her horrific injuries. She underwent two surgeries, and is due to have two more.

Her parents spoke to reporters at a press conference, and revealed their daughter’s tragic injuries won’t hinder her in her future. Her mother Nicole said:

She will continue to succeed. She will do great things in her life. This will not stop Ireland.

What do YOU think of what happened to poor Ireland, HollyMoms? Are you more careful with your riding lawnmower at home?

More Tragic Parenting News:

1. Horror As Mom, 21, Gives Birth Alone & Stabs Newborn To Death
  2. Texas Father In Horror After Finding Twin Boys, 4, Drowned In Backyard Pool
  3. Couple Charged With Keeping Autistic Son, 6, Locked Naked In Cage

new elliptical 2014

Posted at 8:59 PM on June 7, 2014

Whoa! This blog looks exactly like my old one!
It’s on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Superb choice of colors!

lawn mower repair edmonton

Posted at 6:00 PM on July 1, 2013

I was curious if you ever considered changing the layout of your website?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 images.
Maybe you could space it out better?

niki

Posted at 10:41 PM on April 13, 2013

Accidents happened that’s why parents should be careful with their kids.

I have 2 little dogs and when the gardener mows the lawn in the backyard, I see to it that the doors are close esp the dog’s door!

yvonne jimenez

Posted at 7:50 AM on April 13, 2013

For those people who have small kids, need to have more safety in place for these kind of sad stories. Such a night mare lesson learned.

Michelle

Posted at 4:07 AM on April 13, 2013

Poor child. She will never be the same:(

inlove

Posted at 10:56 PM on April 12, 2013

To Damn!
Accedents happen and its horriable but stop bein so negative it was clearlu an accident are the father would be in jail u just piss me off because your like who was suppose to be watchin her u kno people are human and do make mistakes my two year old niece could be standin a inch away from me and I could look away for one second and shell be across the room poor family sorry that yall have to go through such a tragic thing and as far as the father keep your head up shes alive and still can live on god only gives us what we can handle its up to us what we decide what we do with it many prayers

Damn!

Posted at 11:21 PM on April 12, 2013

@inlove.Don’t jump down my damn throat,all I’m saying it could’ve been avoided if she had been watched closely while her dad was mowing the lawn.
some parents are so damn lazy! a little planning goes a long way.When my husband decides he’s gonna mow the lawn,I lock the doors and keep the kids occupied.When he has finished and the mower is locked away then I let the kids roam again.
Accidents do happen,but some can be avoided like I said.
Sometimes it does take a tragic accident to happen for people to realize they need to be more diligent in watching the kids!yeah she’s alive thank god and I am praying for them.
That poor baby now has years of rehab and pain to go through,all because she wasn’t being watched closely while her dad mowed the lawn.
I bet from hearing this tragic story you’ll watch your niece more closely now while she’s in your care, won’t you?

Damn!

Posted at 7:41 PM on April 12, 2013

OMG this is so terrible. I wonder who was suppose to be watching her when this happened?
When my husband mows the lawn the children are inside until he comes in and says he finished! and the mower is already locked up again.
I hope they’ll all be okay, so tragic!

Me

Posted at 7:09 PM on April 12, 2013

OMG this is so terrible! Poor baby! And her father – just imagine the guilt he’ll live with his whole life. Such a terrible accident.