Sandy Hook Parents Slam ‘Glee’ For School Shooting Episode: ‘Too Soon’

Fri, April 12, 2013 9:28am EDT by 10 Comments
Glee School Shooting
Courtesy of Fox, Invision/AP

Yo

Posted at 1:01 PM on April 17, 2013

I thought the episode was an eye opener. Glee tries to incorporate real things that actually happen. Although the Sandy Hook shooting was devastating, we have to acknowledge that there are more schools with shootings that go unacknowledged. We only know of the big events that happen. This episode was heart-felt, and I think it was needed.

Michelle

Posted at 3:28 AM on April 14, 2013

Who cares? Its not like Glee is real life. Theres always going to be shootings in schools, kidnapping, murders etc. Tv is tv. Look how many world trade center shows and movies there are, and still being made. To me that tradegy was far worse and devastating that the Sandy Hook school. Yes they are both sad and unfortunate…But the WTC was by far more worse.

Trish

Posted at 3:01 PM on April 13, 2013

I think it is important to keep the issue alive. I was upset, as a teacher, about the misinformation given for such a lock down. Our school board dictates that all phones must be turned off and given to the teacher ASAP. Teachers are to communicate with the office/outside via email to keep phone lines open and available to first responders. Once a door is locked a teacher is never allowed to leave…this episode gave the impression to teens that teachers would find and rescue them…sadly this. Is not the case. Teachers must protect the students they have with them. An open door, no matter how brief gives opportunity to an attacker to harm.

Umi

Posted at 3:00 AM on April 13, 2013

I understand that the people who lived through the shootings are sensitive to this issue – but as as a child of the constantly distracted generation, I had to stop the episode half way through and cry (not so figuratively) on the floor. It re-opened wounds that shouldn’t be so easy to close. Given that I was fortunate enough not to live through the horror of those shootings, I must say, the episode was perfectly timed. I would find it more insulting if the episode was much later and people considered it a reenactment of some long forgotten incident of history, like the shooting of Abraham Lincoln. That is more of an insult than any perceived off-timed homage.

Kaylah

Posted at 1:18 AM on April 13, 2013

I think that this episode is an eye opening episode, it isn’t just dealing with the teenage drama that has occurred through out all 4 seasons that have aired so far. At my school we have a emergency drill for this sort of situation that we practice at least 3-4 times a year, at random… Although for the people of Newtown that were affected it may be too soon for their open wounds but this episode shows how tragic and terrifying it would have been (even more so in real life multiplied by 1000 and more)
For people that watch the show and don’t know what to do when a shooter comes into any school or building, This episode shows the procedure you should take.
I am a large Glee fan and i am so proud of this episode.

Kate

Posted at 6:30 PM on April 12, 2013

I haven’t seen the episode yet, however I know that when one tree hill had a shooting episode, it really opened my eyes to why people do such a thing, what to look out for, and most importantly what to do if something like this happens. I think it’s important for drama shows to have episode likes this to help educate viewers what to do.

angeluvr4216

Posted at 3:59 PM on April 12, 2013

People are too sensitive. They are going to have show, movies, and books about school shottings. There are also going to be real school shootings. Just because it happened to you, doesn’t mean you should be offended. And if you are, just don’t let your kids watch the show, ignore it, it’s your problem.

Kiki

Posted at 2:54 PM on April 12, 2013

Thanks HL, for correcting the article. Still I hope in the future you read what you are going to post. I bet you people get paid for those ‘articles’ so a little bit of facts check before… Specially when talking of such tragic events…

Barb

Posted at 12:04 PM on April 12, 2013

I watched the Glee episode, there was a disclaimer before the show started so if you didn’t want to watch you were warned.
My heart goes out to the loved ones of all those lost in the Sandy Hook shooting. But unfortunately this kind of thing is happening
way too often. So when whould have been a “good time” to show it. It needs to be talked about and I think Glee did a great job.

Dannielle

Posted at 11:42 AM on April 12, 2013

I can’t understand how the sandhook parents are so offended. So what about the parents of all the other shootings. Just because it was the most recent..and its shockingly similar to that shooting?? There are similar in a sense..how much can they change from one to anyone. It’s reality..a reality that’s becoming sadly more frequent. I think glee did fine.