‘Glee’ Recap: School Tragedy Leads To Major Secrets Being Revealed

Thu, April 11, 2013 10:00pm EDT by 27 Comments
Glee Recap School Shooting
Courtesy of FOX

‘Glee’ delivered it’s most emotional and powerful episode ever on April 11 as a traumatic event rocks McKinley High. Plus, Ryder comes face-to-face with his online love, Katie, and the result is shocking.

Glee co-creator and executive producer Ryan Murphy warned us that the April 11 episode would be “emotional” and he didn’t lie. He tweeted on April 3, “Just saw the rough cut of next week’s ‘Shooting Star’. It is the most powerful emotional Glee ever. So proud of the cast & crew.” This is a definite understatement.

‘Glee’ Recap — School Shooting

During a New Directions rehearsal, focused on “last chances” to share one’s feelings, two shots ring out in the halls of McKinley High. It’s a heart-stopping moment that threatens to turn the students’ worlds upside down! All of the harrowing action is confined to the choir room, where Will and Beiste immediately turn off the lights and find hiding places for the students, trying to squash any attention that may attract the shooter.

Artie takes out his camera phone and records his peers’ messages to their loved ones, just in case.

Brittany cowers in the ladies’ room, standing on top of the toilet, tears dripping down her face, hoping to see the light of tomorrow.

When the FBI announces that it’s all clear, it’s revealed that the shooter was never identified. During a private conversation in the staff room, Sue reveals to Beiste and Will that it was her gun.

Sue meets with Principal Figgins and he says he has no other choice but to terminate her (or suspend?). Either way, Sue packs her bags and leaves McKinley High behind.

Sue Keeps A Secret & Jeopardizes Her Career

Following the shooting and Sue’s termination, it’s revealed (through flashbacks) that Becky was the one who brought a gun to school and accidentally fired two shots. In order to protect Becky, Sue confesses that she brought a gun to school and it accidentally fired off as she was cleaning it.

Will senses that Sue’s story isn’t the full truth.

Brittany Confesses Her Love For Someone & Sam Gets Jealous

In fear of getting hit by an asteroid (Brittany believes one is aimed at Lima), Brittany confesses her love for Lord Tubbington. Sam gets jealous, so he ends up buying Brittany a second cat — one they can call their own.

Ryder Meets Katie In Person — Catfishing Continues

Ryder, eager to meet his online pen pal, sees Katie walking through the hallway at school (pre-school shooting). He confronts her and invites her to the choir room. Giddy, and clearly ecstatic that Ryder would even notice her, she complies. Ryder does a little dance with her and sings her a song. Afterwards, she questions his intentions. He brings up their online chats and she seems dumbfounded. Sadly, Katie is not really the person that Ryder’s been talking to.

Angry and hurt, Ryder calls “Katie’s” phone number during the school shooting. A phone rings from someone’s bag — someone inside the choir room. Ryder never finds out who the phone belongs to because Will is very adamant about no one making any sudden movements.

Before the close of the episode, Ryder asks his Catfish-er to meet him outside the choir room at 3:30 PM. Sadly, no one comes to meet him and he’s still left in the dark regarding his online pen pal’s identity.

What did YOU think of this episode, HollywoodLifers? Tell us below! Did this episode shock you? Did you miss the presence of the original cast members?

WATCH: Glee – ‘Shooting Star’ (Intense Moments After Gun Shots)

— Chris Rogers

More ‘Glee’ News:

1. ‘Glee’ Scoop: 5 Mini Spoilers From Thursday’s Life-Or-Death Episode
  2. ‘Glee’ Scoop: Season Finale Rewritten Around Cory Monteith’s Absence
  3. ‘Glee’ Ending Season 4 Without Cory Monteith: Finchel Reunion Doomed?

Sarah

Posted at 10:25 PM on July 6, 2013

am I the only one who thinks sam’s reactions/tryingtogetbrittney is adorable!!!

Gloria

Posted at 1:36 PM on April 17, 2013

What about the person who forced the door while they were hiding? Maybe some other student looking for a place to hide? That was really scary!
Maybe it is too soon but let’s give it up for the cast and writers cause they delivered a very well made episode!

another jewinhiding

Posted at 11:49 PM on April 16, 2013

too bad no one had a gun to defend the school!!

Nicki Hazelett

Posted at 7:07 PM on April 16, 2013

This is the most sad, scary, & darkest episode of glee. At first, I throught Brittany was kidding joking about this (making this up saying ir’s the end of this world. Until there were two gun shots. I will never forget this episode of glee. This the more serious dark side of glee.

enid

Posted at 9:56 PM on April 12, 2013

It shook me up real bad hearing the gun shots, to real and to recent for viewers.

peakiboo

Posted at 6:59 PM on April 12, 2013

i couldn’t watch it because the ads wouldn’t shut off, and you couldn’t concentrate or hear a thing… I know know, not to buy Pantene, venus, olay or febreeze now

lovingmom

Posted at 6:07 PM on April 12, 2013

I think this show was sooo amazing!! Can you imagine, this is what teenagers go through in these situations that are sadly becoming more common. Just think about how little children feel and their teachers that are responsible for their safety. Great acting and I cried just thinking about the fear others have had in these type of situations. Huge kudos to Glee!!!

A

Posted at 2:23 PM on April 12, 2013

I do not think this was in bad taste at all. It was tackling a serious subject and did a very good job at it. Some of the acting was superb. I especially thought that Brittany and Sam did a very good job in the scene provided. It was a very powerful episode and I commend Glee. There are way too many shootings nowadays and I am glad that they had the guts to address it.

sadie

Posted at 2:16 PM on April 12, 2013

i think that this episode was truly amazing. they handled all of these sensitive subjects really well!

Drew

Posted at 2:10 PM on April 12, 2013

So we know that Becky accidentally fired the first 2 shots, but what of the 3rd shot that rang right after someone checked the doors to the choir room? Sue’s story doesn’t hold up, I have a feeling there were 2 shooters… One who took the advantage of the current situation to do their own shooting, and the 3rd shot fired out of anger cuz everyone was already hiding

Spenser Amadeus

Posted at 3:40 PM on April 13, 2013

There was no third shot. Turn on closed captioning and watch again. After the third “shot”, the caption says “door slams shut”.

nabilah

Posted at 11:55 AM on April 12, 2013

since shooting in schools in my country is so rare, that i never heard it actually happen since having a gun in the house is not really a thing here, watching this actually make me cry. the feeling of fear actually gets to me. so please, if you want to go all *bad taste* for glee for doing this episode, just realize that its not only for american viewers or watever.

Pio

Posted at 10:14 AM on April 12, 2013

You guys there is another gunshot at 2:03!! Idk if this was a mistake but there is another gunshot while someone is in the hallway!! Listen for yourself! Yourself!

Spenser Amadeus

Posted at 3:42 PM on April 13, 2013

There was no third shot. Turn on closed captioning and watch again. After the third “Shot” the caption says “door slams shut”.

Desi

Posted at 9:16 AM on April 12, 2013

Am I the only one that thought this episode was in bad taste?

lovingmom

Posted at 6:09 PM on April 12, 2013

Yes you are!! Get real, this is how it is now, crazy people attacking young innocent children. It was in excellent taste.

Doodlebug

Posted at 8:12 AM on April 13, 2013

No, you aren’t. The intention may have been good, but It made the situation too light. Unless they plan to have the next 3 season’s show how traumatized the kids are….and what a mistake it was to not get Becky help right away….they just made light of something deep and horrific.

Kayley

Posted at 6:53 PM on April 14, 2013

Becky’s not screwed up. She didn’t mean to hurt anyone even.
The idea was, the gun was accessible because there was no gun control.
Of course it’s traumatizing, they discussed that and it will be present in future episodes…

Zachery Wilson

Posted at 2:54 AM on April 12, 2013

I was disappointed in this episode. It for sure did not live up to all the hype that it was getting. However, I absolutely loved Heather Morris! The scene where she was hiding in the bathroom did genuinely terrify me and her tears were gut wrenching. It may also be because I suspected her to be dead by the episode’s end (she is pregnant and I figured this was an opportunity the writers were taking). Jenna Ushkowitz, Lauren Potter, Blake Jenner, and Jane Lynch impressed me. Glad Marley’s mom wasn’t killed. I was saddened that nobody died though (I know morbid!). I think it would have made the episode much more impacting. Just a thought I feel as if Blaine is catfishing Ryder. It is just a hunch I have.

kolaida

Posted at 12:43 PM on May 5, 2013

I agree with you. I didn’t care much for the episode, either. It really doesn’t fully address how serious a school shooting is and, as someone else noted, made light of the issue. And, as already pointed out, it is too soon. And, YES, we are aware if it’s not JUST for American viewers, but since the show is American, is filmed here, etc- they could have waited a while. Sandy Hook just happened in December and we had over a dozen dead kindergarteners. Heather Morris definitely had the most gut wrenching scenes in the show. Overall, though, it was disappointing. I do hope later episodes address some trauma. If they wanted to go that way, they should have gone all the way and killed someone.

Setra

Posted at 12:45 AM on April 12, 2013

Considereing the two gun shots and the pending asteroid, this was a startling episode of Glee but I appreciated the last chances theme. I was commuting home from work at DISH while it was on tonight, but didn’t miss it. I watched during my train ride on my phone, with the DISH Anywhere app. This app allows me to watch live and recorded show without having to be home.

Disrespectful

Posted at 12:24 AM on April 12, 2013

I think this was a little poor taste. school shootings is a sensitive subject where a lot of innocent children have died, and Glee is…well Glee. It’s supposed to be a stupid-light hearted comedy, not deal with something as tragic as kids killing kids.

ASEKMusik

Posted at 12:53 AM on April 12, 2013

Have you even seen Glee? It tackles serious issues all the time through “light hearted comedy”: bullying, homophobia, teenage pregnancy, etc, etc. The show is obviously exaggerated for entertainment but it’s much more than just silly singing and dancing. I think this episode was absolutely well done and emotional, just as it should have been.

Desi

Posted at 9:44 AM on April 12, 2013

Serious issues in high school. You should not have to worry about school shootings as a teenager. They crossed a line, in my opinion.

Lany

Posted at 2:29 PM on April 12, 2013

I agree that Glee has it’s stupid, light hearted comedy moments, but it’s also really deep. It touches on sensitive subjects like bullying, and depression and suicide, which is also tragic and takes many lives. I think this episode raised awareness of the subject, how scary it actually is for the kids that are involved in these real life incidents. Also, there ARE kids like Becky who do bring knives and guns to school and don’t think about the consequence or how serious their actions are. I loved Sue in this episode.

ok

Posted at 11:07 PM on April 11, 2013

good episode but not all the fuss critics were talking about, good acting on the heather morris and jane lynch part.

abe is doing it?!!?

Posted at 10:50 PM on April 11, 2013

well, ryan murphy has both a penis & a vagina, folks!!