Magic Johnson Talks: How I Encouraged My Son To Come Out

Thu, April 4, 2013 1:22pm EDT by 8 Comments
Magic Johnson Gay Son
FameFlynet, Courtesy of Instagram

Turns out the basketball legend is also a pretty amazing dad! In a new interview, Magic talks proudly about his gay son, EJ, and explains how he supported him through his decision to come out.

Magic Johnson’s son Earvin Johnson III – aka EJ — officially came out as gay on Apr. 1 with his parents proudly behind him. On Apr. 4, Magic talked candidly about supporting his son and encouraging him to be himself.

Magic Johnson To EJ: ‘I’m Gonna Love You Regardless’

Magic admits that he and his wife, “Cookie,” knew years before the public that EJ was gay in an interview with TMZ, and that as parents, they wanted to address it as soon as possible so they could better communicate with their son. “I told him, ‘Look, I’m gonna love you regardless, just let me know — are you or aren’t you?’ And then finally he just said, ‘Yes, I am.'”

By leveling with his son and raising him in a judgement-free environment, EJ was able to be himself and learn to be proud of who he is. “I told him, ‘We are here to support you, man. We’re gonna love you no matter who you are, what you do. We just want you to love yourself.'”

How Magic Johnson Helped His Son Come Out

Magic says that the support took a huge weight off of EJ — knowing his dad was okay with it allowed him to live freely and enriched the relationship between Magic and EJ.

Finally, Magic admits that EJ coming out to TMZ cameras on Apr. 1 was “a good moment for us as a family, and a greater moment for him.” The whole interview, Magic is clearly beaming with pride for his son. It’s truly touching, and a good example of how parents can handle a situation like this.

Click below to watch another part of Magic’s interview, where he talks about anti-gay haters.

TMZ

– Andrew Gruttadaro

More Celebs Coming Out:

1. Jodie Foster Comes Out As A Lesbian During Golden Globes Speech
  2. Queen Latifah Comes Out As A Lesbian
  3. Jim Parsons Reveals: I’m Gay

Lita F. Okeefe

Posted at 1:07 PM on September 30, 2014

Remarkable issues here. I am very glad to look your article.
Thanks a lot and I’m taking a look ahead to contact you.
Will you please drop me a e-mail?

Rikki R. Nenno

Posted at 10:59 PM on September 29, 2014

Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this article is awesome, nice written and come with approximately all important infos.
I would like to see more posts like this .

Katherin T. Okeefe

Posted at 5:32 AM on September 27, 2014

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the structure of your blog?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.

But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two images.
Maybe you could space it out better?

Paris U. Reap

Posted at 6:39 AM on September 25, 2014

My partner and I stumbled over here from a different page and thought I might check things out.

I like what I see so i am just following you.
Look forward to looking into your web page repeatedly.

Vilma B. Urtiaga

Posted at 10:21 PM on September 24, 2014

I pay a quick visit day-to-day a few web pages and websites to read articles or reviews,
except this webpage provides feature based writing.

Idell C. Harding

Posted at 10:32 PM on September 23, 2014

Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful post.
Many thanks for supplying this information.

Dannielle H. Dobler

Posted at 10:16 AM on September 22, 2014

Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice while you
amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog website?
The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

finance

Posted at 12:01 PM on September 4, 2014

Awesome! Its really awesome paragraph, I have got much clear idea concerning from this article.