‘The Voice’ Judges Have Great Chemistry — Season 4 Is The Best Yet

Tue, April 2, 2013 12:05pm EDT by 115 Comments
The Voice Judges
Courtesy of NBC

Christina Aguilera and Cee-Lo Green who? The amazing chemistry among Usher, Shakira, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton on season four of ‘The Voice’ has me jumping for joy. Find out why I love the new judging panel.

The Voice experienced an image overhaul this season as Christina Aguilera and Cee-Lo Green exited the series at the end of season three to focus on their music careers. They have admitted they may be back for season five, but I hope their absence is permanent. With the additions of Usher and Shakira, the singing competition show is experiencing its best ratings yet and, frankly, it’s so much more enjoyable to watch.

The Judges Support One Another

While Christina and Adam Levine often bickered in the previous three seasons, the judges seem to support one another this season. They’re genuinely happy when another judge succeeds.

When Latina singer Monique Abbadie performed on the April 1 episode, all the judges voiced how she’d do best on Shakira’s team. Every judge pushed their button and expressed interested in Monique, but collectively they knew that Monique would prosper with Shakira.

Usher, Shakira, Adam & Blake Have Great Chemistry

The judges are often seen making playful jabs at each other, joking and imitating one another. However, it’s all in good fun. For instance, Adam imitated Usher’s infamous “knee up” position — the silly way he sits in his chair. When Usher finally let his leg down, Adam made a big stink about it, saying that the contestant on stage was so good because they got Usher to put his leg down.

The Likeability Factor

The bottom line is, all four judges are likeable. They are a fun gang, relaxed and funny. It’s hard to come across television stars who have great chemistry together. In years past, Christina and Adam often butted heads, as I said earlier, but there’s no such tension this season.

Christina and Cee-Lo may have left the show voluntarily, but NBC, you need to keep them from coming back. Usher and Shakira need to stay with the series for the long haul!

What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Is season four the best yet?

WATCH: The Voice Season 4 – Blind Auditions Recap

— Chris Rogers

More ‘The Voice’ News:

1. ‘The Voice’ Recap: Adam Levine Tells Shakira To ‘Shut Up’ In Spanish
  2. Sarah Simmons Will Beat Judith Hill & Win ‘The Voice’
  3. ‘The Voice’ Recap: Sarah Simmons Has All 4 Coaches Begging

alicexie625

Posted at 1:35 AM on June 13, 2013

Thanks so much Gion, that really helps me in my decision. It is good

Sandy

Posted at 8:56 PM on May 26, 2013

You have all noticed that Xtian never had a winner Right??? Can’t wait to see who wins this year all four are equally talanted. Christina is just a little jelous B. Good ridence! I believe that she thought leaving would just stroke her ego, everyone wanting to see her come back. Stay where ever you are!!!!!!! Love the tone the new judges have brought to the show. No more petty jelousy. Lets no one forget what a little B she has been to some of the previous contestants.

Gio

Posted at 9:07 PM on May 26, 2013

The pole above says otherwise. It looks like 70% say season 4 is NOT the best season yet. In case you need proof. Ratings have been down to series lows the past 4 weeks in a row. That means more than half of the season has had poor ratings. Xtina was never mean to contestants. Tony Luca was one demensional and had an unfair advantage having Justin Timberlake tweeting to support him. Xtina was the only one brave enough to say anything. Melanie Martinez needs to be respectful and look at the judges when they give feedback. Congratulations to NBC for giving Xtina a raise to come back because this season was so boring and lost ratings. You can stay pressed and seething. Welcome back Xtina!

SHERLY

Posted at 11:10 AM on May 25, 2013

WE WANT XTINA AND NOT SHAKIRA! SHAKIRAS FAKE AND PLAYED NICED
XTINA WAS FUNNY AND CHARMING THATS WHY WE LOVED HER! WE WANT HER FOR NXT SEASON.WE WILL WATCH AGAIN FOR SEASON 5! GOGOGO! XTINA THE VOICE OF OUR GENERATION AND THE VOICE QUEEN. . . .

marytale

Posted at 6:58 AM on May 16, 2013

Shut up! The current season is so damn boring. Usher is quite funny but Shakira works like a sleeping pill. Christina was funny and charming and I loved her competitiveness. Shakira always holds back and wants to play safe by being the sweet girl *yawn*
I hope Christina will be back for the next season.

Tamra

Posted at 10:42 PM on May 13, 2013

I real love the new judges this season!! I know the others are coming back next season, but I really want these 2 to stay! They are so positive and Thur training skills are awesome !
Please keep Usher and Sherlira!!!

Hue

Posted at 8:51 PM on May 13, 2013

Foul language and complaining? wow you people are too literal and must have been watching the wrong show, you people take things way too seriously clearly. Anyways this season is alright, I preferred the 3rd one so much more. And definitely cannot wait for #XTINA’s return she’s what made the show so much fun and entertaining. When she comes back they should keep shakira and usher too, maybe replace of the guys but keep the newbie’s to the show too. :-)

JZ

Posted at 11:04 PM on May 9, 2013

No disrespect, but I couldn’t disagree with Gion and Daniel more. Must be a guy thing. I can’t stand Christina. I thought it was refreshingly pleasant without most of the sex, boobs, foul language, and complaining, too. I’m not a Cee-Lo fan either, but he did know how to spot talent. He’s just a little weird for me—I’m probably a decade older than any of the judges. This season will bring back a lot of my generation, though, and we’re the ones who have the time to watch. I’ve been singing most of my life and sometimes I’m thoroughly confused by the judges decisions. Pitchy, grinding, gravelly, sometimes just bizarre voices chosen—ugh. One of the judges this season even said, “Singers grind like that because they can’t hit the notes.” I can live with their opinions, though. At least we know that they aren’t motivated because they strictly wanted to see a girl win—like last season! Nope, not missing Christina one bit! Now they need to get rid of the kids that talk in between performances, sometimes with the singer just finishing. The spokesperson is okay, but those kids have got to go!

I don’t think Christina had much to do with America’s Got Talent going down the toilet after Terry Fator and Neal Boyd. Their spokesperson choices since Philbin left are the pits. Almost as annoying as the spokesperson for Do You Think You Can Dance, but not quite. I peeked in of AGT one night in the last season and saw who was judging—really!? Howie Mandel and ugh, Howard Stern—no wonder it’s gone down in ratings. As much as we hated his acid tongue, Piers Morgan made the show because he truly understood talent. I mostly stopped watching because I started to see a great many dog and pony acts that didn’t strike me as talent, and I think children need a talent show of their own, but that’s just my taste. A lot of these shows the “talent” is getting younger and younger—I like the seasoned people better. The sob stories are getting lengthy too.

I was only going to put my two cents in… wow I think I’m up to a buck! Better quit.

Jessica

Posted at 11:53 AM on May 13, 2013

JZ, I just read what Gion and Daniel wrote and I can’t help but agree with them. I don’t think what they had to say “must be a guy thing.” I do agree with you that Cee Lo did know how to spot talent. However, Christina is the only Coach who has produced a commercial success. Chris Mann has been on tour, recorded a television special, and produced a Billboard charting album which sold well. In regards to Christina’s boobs and sex, she is a pop artist. Britney, Madonna, Beyonce, Rhianna, Katy Perry all wear provocative clothing. Christina is like Madonna and reinvents her image to coincide with the album she is promoting. I’m sure her look will be different during Season 5. It’s what pop stars do. If they were country singers, I’m sure they would be wearing more cloths. You have to understand the genre of music they represent. You made a comment about America’s Got Talent, but Gion didn’t mention anything about that. He spoke about The Voice’s rival shows (X Factor and American Idol). What he said is very true. Two years ago (when The Voice started) American Idol was averaging 26 Million viewers and it has dwindled down to 10 Million. X Factor has been beaten in the ratings week after week by The Voice. Last season, producers from X Factor pitted Christina against her music rival Britney. It didn’t work, viewers tuned in and supported Christina. The Voice is now producing it’s lowest ratings ever with the addition of Shakira and Usher. Twitter and Facebook are flooded with comments about how boring the show is now. It’s very true, it has lost it’s star quality and become a fluff piece this season. There is a reason Chrisina has had more commercial success, gets paid 4x more than the other coaches, and has a large dedicated fan base. It’s because she is an amazing vocalist, she draws in viewers, she’s taking viewership from other shows. Frankly, that’s all producers and networks care about. The Voice is a business…

Anne Mason

Posted at 2:38 PM on May 13, 2013

Actually, the ratings have been very good so far. You’re wrong about that. She doesn’t get paid 4 times more. Also, “flooded” with comments? I’ve seen some comments like that. However, I’ve mostly seen people that are absolutely in love with Shakira’s humor, talent, and most of all, the fact that she’s so humble.

Jessica

Posted at 3:08 PM on May 13, 2013

Just have to look at the pole on this page over 70% say it’s not the best season. Just because you say it isn’t true doesn’t mean it’s not. Just google it. Season one male coaches made 25K per episode Xtina made 100K, Season 2 male coaches made 75K per episode and Xtina made 250K, Season 3 males coaches made 2.5 million and Xtina made 10 Million.

Hue

Posted at 8:59 PM on May 13, 2013

and yes she does get paid 4x more if not more then the other celeb’s on the voice and when she returns she will still be getting more than them plus a larger increase that was announced on the press back during season 1 of the voice so the person that mentioned that is actually spot on. ;-)

Daniel

Posted at 3:06 PM on May 9, 2013

I agree with Gion, The Voice was nothing but fluff this season and the chemistry on the show sucks. I’m not a Xtina fan but she has charisma and keeps viewers attention. I admit she gave great coaching and feedback because she has an amazing voice. This year the coaches aren’t giving anything back. People tune in to see what she’s wearing and what she will say.

Gion

Posted at 3:02 PM on May 9, 2013

The voice has officially gone 6 shows with declining ratings. Now that the coaches have had an opportunity to settle in America has decided Shakira and Usher are boring. The show’s chemistry is off and lacks star power. With the ratings down producers will scramble to offer Christina an even bigger pay check to come back. Like her or not her star power has brought great ratings and brought down X Factor/American Idol.

Susan

Posted at 9:09 PM on May 12, 2013

The ratings on these kinds of shows always decline from the opening rounds–as the field gets winnowed so do the viewers. But even with a decline, Season 4 is still doing better compared to previous Xtina and CeeLo seasons.

Hue

Posted at 9:02 PM on May 13, 2013

actually it’s ratings are a little lower, but will be higher when she returns I hope they keep usher thO’ ;-)

Hue

Posted at 9:01 PM on May 13, 2013

I don’t know if this is true or not, but either way I believe it, I will watch the show again faithfully when #XTINA returns, and the part about her her larger pay offer is totally true that I have read about for the past 3 weeks or so in various articles. I love #XTINA!!!!!!!!

Diana

Posted at 2:26 PM on May 9, 2013

Seriously, please do not bring Christina back…ugh! Her ego and boobs are just too much! Shakira is smart, cares about her team, they all get along.

Hue

Posted at 9:08 PM on May 13, 2013

You’re crazy, she doesn’t have a big ego, she’s very funny and you obviously take things way too literally, #xtina made this show fun and she’s #THEVOICE pipes and all. I say keep the newbie’s but #XTINA is coming back with a larger pay offer so that was a done deal since season 3 ;-) woooot wooot.

shakirahS

Posted at 12:07 AM on May 9, 2013

Though I like Ceelo & Xtina I must say I LOVE Usher & Shakirah. Gone with the fakeness, wigs, birds, cats, cleavage, drag makeup, egocentricity. In with Talent, genuine interest in the contestants, really creative coaching, and intelligent critique. Bye Bye Ceelo & Xtina! Usher & Shakirah should definitely stay!

Hue

Posted at 9:04 PM on May 13, 2013

they do have interest in their contestants and all the other stuff is fun so that this show doesn’t get as boring as it has been ever just in season 4, ratings are down, yeah I say keep shakira and usher too, but #XTINA can never be replaced she’s returning with an even larger pay this time too; so she’ back regardless.

Sharon Berry

Posted at 12:54 AM on May 8, 2013

The show is an absolyte joy to watch this season. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE krep this group of judges. They work so well together are so genuine with the contestants. Please let NBC and Mark Barnett know how much brtter the show and to keep these judges around for a long time.

Hue

Posted at 9:05 PM on May 13, 2013

hahaha this season was the most boring, but I do like shakira and usher too, #XTINA is coming back for sure thank GOD!!! But keep the other two too as well. ;-)

Sueannie

Posted at 9:49 PM on May 7, 2013

I have watched all seasons. These judges are the BEST together. I hope they stay.

Diego

Posted at 11:42 PM on May 5, 2013

Love you shakiraaaa

Andy

Posted at 8:20 PM on May 1, 2013

we’ll see.. you never know.. ;) being in the Film and Television Industry.. it’s all about the Ratings, which means more $$$.. ;) and this new duo is bringing them in, so who knows.. they might be a change of plan for season5 where they decided ultimately to keep the current Season4 Judges.. Also you have to think of Demographics.. There is a bigger Latin/Hispanic community that might be watching it just for Shakira, together with Middle Eastern, European, Asian cultures that know Shakira very well, where as in a lot of Cases, they do not know who C.Aguilera is…

Hue

Posted at 9:09 PM on May 13, 2013

they know who she is so just keep ceelo and usher away and the ratings will increase so much with #XTINA and #SHAKIRA no doubt.

Kylie

Posted at 8:17 PM on April 25, 2013

Shakira is a beautiful person inside and out. I love her music. And yes, Christina has an incredible voice, but in my opinion, she tries to do too much with her voice. It doesn’t sound good to my ears. I also CANNOT STAND her arrogance and the clothes she wears. Everything about her appearance is so incredibly fake to me. I would always fast forward when it came time for her to talk. Please keep Shakira on the show! The judges’ chemistry is so refreshing!!

Hue

Posted at 9:13 PM on May 13, 2013

but that opinion leaves you being a nobody, arrogance, fakeness? really? haha you’re funny, she’s not arrogant it’s called honesty and you’re taking so much literally and in the wrong way to even be still talking about his loosin’ up sheesh. Fake appearance? this is show business it’s fun and exciting, you would be saying the same thing about lady gaga, taylor swift and beyonce’ then if they were on this show. It’s not fake, it’s “A SHOW” it’s called entertainment, that doesn’t make it fake. #XTINA is coming back and I cannot wait, but I’d love them to keep shakira too.

Dana

Posted at 5:48 AM on April 24, 2013

Season 4 is INFINITELY better than any previous season with the addition of Usher & Shakira! With Christina Aguilera & Ceelo out, there’s ZERO pretense, ZERO ego, ZERO tension (that’s not to take anything away from Christina & Ceelo’s individual talents). Anyway, I didn’t really tune-in to previous seasons of “The Voice” precisely BECAUSE of the awkward stiffness and palpable tension between the judges. Now, I can’t get ENOUGH of the show! “The Voice” is SO much more fun and pleasant to watch because of the camaraderie and playful / friendly “smack-talking” among the 4 current judges. (I almost want to skip the performances just to have a good time watching the four judges and laughing at what they’re going to say to each other next!) It seems that the producers have FINALLY remembered that half of the show should be the light-hearted competition between the judges — not seething, barely masked disdain — while the other half of the show should be about talented contestants competing against each other. NBC, please don’t mess with this line-up.

Hue

Posted at 9:19 PM on May 13, 2013

funny, cuz I can’t watch too much of this season cuz it’s so boring, though i like shakira and usher, I cannot wait for #xtina to return, people take everything too literal, she makes the show so much more entertaining and when she coaches her team and sings with them that is always the best, true artist true talent, true artist not afraid to take risks and not afraid of what closed mind worthless people say; she is a true artist, things she does makes women that aren’t afraid and closed minded see that you can be outspoken and dress a certain way and still be a lady, you can be up and down in weight, and though you may be at target of haters you are still strong and it makes you strong knowing that an artist like her isn’t afraid to take risks, she is a great role model for those who see her positive messages that are very clear for us educated and non-closed minded people to see. Keep this line up NBC #XTINA coming no matter what :-) and keep the 2 newbies, and adam can go fishing with cee lo LOL though I like them too, or just add 2 or 3 new chairs hahaa

Dara

Posted at 1:12 PM on April 23, 2013

I totally love them all and especially together. I sort of liked the show before and didn’t always watch it. Now I LOVE it and never miss an episode!! If the original line-up returns I’ll watch it only if I don’t have anything else to do – which is hardly ever.

Jill

Posted at 1:02 AM on April 23, 2013

Love the line up this year. The chemistry and over joy of the show is soo much better. \

erika

Posted at 12:50 AM on April 23, 2013

I hope christina and ceelo come back. The show is not the same without them!!!!!

Jules

Posted at 3:55 AM on April 18, 2013

The show execs would be crazy to change this lineup. Christina Aguillera may be the superior vocalist, but this is not about her singing ability, it’s about the chemistry..and the current lineup knocks it out of the park…as the ratings, clearly, reflect.

Rockwell

Posted at 6:53 PM on April 17, 2013

When u gonna end this poll?..@xtina is coming back

maria

Posted at 7:49 AM on April 17, 2013

I don’t care about their chemistry, the only thing I care is that XTINA is gonna be back for season 5

Andy

Posted at 8:19 PM on May 1, 2013

maria

Posted at 7:30 AM on April 17, 2013

I don’t care if you like shakira & usher the only thing I know is that Xtina will return for season 5!!