Cate Edwards: John Edwards’ Love Child Frances Quinn Is Our Family

Fri, March 29, 2013 8:25am EDT by 9 Comments
Cate Edwards Rielle Hunter Interview
Courtesy of NBC

The daughter of the controversial former senator John Edwards revealed on ‘Today’ that even though it was hard to forgive her dad for his affair with Rielle Hunter, she still loves their child Quinn! Read on for more of her emotional interview.

Cate Edwards, 31, revealed in a new interview on Today on March 29 that even though she was completely hurt and devastated by her dad John Edwards‘ affair, she was always there to support him — and considers his love child with his mistress Rielle Hunter part of her own family.

“He’s my dad, I love him, we love each other and we support each other,” Cate told Savanah Guthrie on Today about her dad, and his torrid affair while running for political office. When he confessed the cheating to his family, Cate said it was an extremely difficult part of her life.

“I was devastated and I was disappointed. I grew up with a lot of love in my family..it was hard to see them go through this.”

But Cate said even though there was a lot of anger in her family, she never went through a period of not talking to her father

“It’s easier to stay angry than to forgive someone. It was tough, but we worked through it.”

Cate Edwards: Frances Quinn Is ‘My Sister’

Despite John’s affair with his former campaign videographer Rielle, Cate says their child together, Frances Quinn, is still very much a part of her family — and reveals they have a relationship.

“Yeah, she’s my sister. She’s just a really sweet, innocent little girl. I certainly think of her as part of our family.”

The rest of the interview will air on Rock Center With Brian Williams on March 29 at 10/9 Central.

It’s so great that Cate can put her anger aside and move on for the sake of her family — and embrace little Quinn as her own sister! What do YOU think of what Cate said, HollywoodLifers?

WATCH: Cate Edwards Interview On ‘Today’

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

– Christina Stiehl

More John Edwards & Rielle Hunter News:

1. Barbara Walters Attacks Rielle Hunter On ‘The View’: You Lied About Me — Watch Video
  2. Rielle Hunter On ‘GMA’: ‘John Edwards And I Broke Up Last Week’
  3. John Edwards & Rielle Hunter Are Slimeballs For Attacking Elizabeth Edwards

countesstalkalot

Posted at 10:22 AM on June 30, 2014

It is not the child’s fault. I am glad that Cate is able to differentiate between her feelings for Rielle and not transfer blame to the child. I’m glad that Cate is a bigger person than many of us would be.

c b

Posted at 1:06 PM on June 14, 2013

Oops typo Rielle

cc

Posted at 1:11 PM on June 13, 2013

Well said Debbie and Montana Sky! Quinn iIS Johns and Rieeles problem and NOT Cate, Emma, or Jacks problem.One day they maybe able to have a relationship but it will be on THEIR terms no Rielles. This is the payback Rieeles is getting after the horrible things she has done to the Edwards family.

countesstalkalot

Posted at 10:23 AM on June 30, 2014

Montana Sky

Posted at 4:42 AM on April 23, 2013

If Cate and her younger siblings want a relationship with their half-sister, the illegitimate child of John Edwards, that is extremely kind of them. However, Quinn is John Edwards problem, not theirs. Cate and her two younger siblings should never be guilted into a relationship with Rielle Hunter’s daughter.

Personally, I couldn’t separate the fact that Quinn is Hunter’s daughter and was used by Rielle Hunter to destroy a family and shatter a woman dying of cancer.

Plus, Hunter ripped Elizabeth Edwards to shreds in her self-serving, thoughtless book, while EE’s children were still young and still mourning the loss of their mother. Hunter revealed confidential information she had NO business revealing. Information she doesn’t even know is true, because John Edwards, the world’s biggest liar is her only source.

Ironically, Hunter is the real controlling, scheming, manipulative, hateful witch she accuses Elizabeth Edwards of being. SHE’S the one who emasculated John Edwards. In fact, she castrated him.

There is no way Cate and her two younger siblings will have a loving relationship with Quinn Hunter when they are older. Quinn’s her mother’s daughter. No getting around that.

Debbie

Posted at 4:34 PM on April 17, 2013

It’s going to be very tough for Quinn when she realizes what her own mother did to her siblings mother. Elizabeth Edwards NEVER said a bad word about John Edwards in public – even after all John Edwards put her though – so disloyal to her when she was dealing with terminal cancer. Not long after Elizabeth died – Rielle Hunter dragged Elizabeth’s corpse out in front of the world and set it on fire. Hunter did this to Elizabeth’s surviving children while they were still mourning their mother’s death – and Elizabeth’s children are still young.

I noticed Quinn didn’t go to Cate’s wedding. Probably because Rielle Hunter told the family that Quinn and her are a “package deal.” If that is the case – Cate, Emma Clare and Jack should not take the package. If they can see Quinn without Hunter around fine. If Hunter is part of the deal – they should not have a relationship with Quinnn. Quinn is going to understand one day why she has no relationship with Elizabeth Edward’s children. She is going to hate her own mother someday. Karma will take care of that.

cb

Posted at 6:14 PM on April 8, 2013

Unfortuate for your half sister. Your dad will have to live the rest of his life knowing what he did to your mother; who BTW sounds like a saint for taking in your half sister when she wasn’t at all obligated to do so(I don’t think I would be that thoughtful). Actually, she needs to live with her mother’s family, but if your mother/sister don’t mind, that’s good! Rielle, on the other hand, did some serious bad mouthing and slamming EE where I don’t believe there will be any,if little, relationship at all between Quinn and the rest of the Edwards. Quinn may want it but the others may not because of Rielle and at some point they may want to explain to Quinn the reason why.Rielle sure didn’t earn brownie points by doing the slamming and has caused resentment by the other Edwards children towards her. Rielle has nobody to blame but herself why she thinks ppl are being so mean; because she was being mean, heartless, thoughtless, and disrespectful bad mouthing the wife/mother of your lover.Mistresses do get the leftovers of money and time; it is what it is. Maybe the next man Rielle gets involved with she will learn a hard lesson from this.

Damn!

Posted at 9:01 AM on March 29, 2013

My dad cheated on my mom and had a daughter with the other woman. The woman died and after mom forgave dad, the little girl came to live with them. She now calls my mother mom.
I didn’t talk to my dad for a year after the affair was discovered. Not because he cheated on my mom but because he used me at one point to rent his baby momma a car. I thought he was renting the car to go to a bbq at a friends house, which is what he told me.
At the time my moms mother was on her death bed in another state and she could’ve used his support. I actually thought he was gonna surprise her and pop up for the weekend to support her.
He gave the rental to the baby momma to visit her sister who was sick as well.
The child is the sweetest person you’d ever want to meet. Her mom had brain bleed due to high blood pressure and stress, she died right in front of her child a 4 year old, who was then abused mentally by her moms sister because she didn’t know how to dial 911.
If no one taught her how is that her fault?
She is now a 15 year old honor student beautiful in every way.
I understand Where Cate is coming from. I still love my dad too but a lot of trust is lost. We are not as close as we used to be. I can’t wait for my 1/2 sisters reaction when she is told the whole story.

Alex127

Posted at 12:28 PM on June 25, 2013

In my opinion, you are waiting in vain? Why? Because it really matters little for you and your life what your little sister has to say about all this. Once she becomes aware of the whole story it will be difficult for her also and will take time to put the puzzle together, just as it was for you. Focus on your own life, do not bother with family all that much. If your dad is there for you to support and help you then he is a good father, regardless of what kind of a husband he was to your mother. We do not always come from the happiest family situations, but it is not impossible to work it through, move on and be happy in our own lives.