‘Sex and the City’ Author: Sarah Jessica Parker’s Too Old For Third Movie

Mon, March 25, 2013 6:10pm EDT by 50 Comments
Sex and the City 3
Courtesy Of HBO, FameFlynet

Say it isn’t so! Candace Bushnell, author of ‘Sex and the City,’ doesn’t think there will be a third film in the long-running franchise.

Fans who may have been hoping for a third movie in the Sex and the City franchise, shouldn’t hold their breath. Due to Sarah Jessica Parker’s age, Candace Bushnell, the author of Sex and the City, doesn’t think there will be a third installment on the big screen.

“No. Look, Sarah Jessica Parker is 47. I think with the second movie, Carrie Bradshaw couldn’t be an ingenue anymore. But I think they were stuck doing what the audience wanted. Realistically, a middle-aged woman who was married without children would be much more focused on her career and less focused on this Mr. Big: ‘Does he love me?’ … ‘Does he still not love me?’ I mean, I think it was coming to the end of what they could do with the character,” Candace told The Daily Beast.

Some fans may celebrate this new development. While the first movie was loved by fans and critics, the second was panned across all platforms. Fans felt let down by the second installment, and the thought of a third movie may make some nervous.

Candace Bushnell: How I Would Have Changed The Second Movie

Candace doesn’t believe the girls should have left New York City in the sequel. If you recall, they traveled to Abu Dhabi and got into all sorts of shenanigans overseas.

“If it were up to me, the second movie would have been Carrie Bradshaw decides to run for mayor and Samantha helps her. It would get into some real issues of what happens when you’re part of a relationship and the woman is ambitious. What does that do to her relationship with Mr. Big? To me, that would be interesting. But they were not going to go there,” Candace said.

Candace would have possibly also changed the end game for Carrie and Big if she directed the second film.

Carrie & Big Would’ve Never Ended Up Together In Real Life

“[Carrie and Big would not end up together in real life]. In real life, I don’t think women end up with that character, and if they do, they usually get divorced after a year. He couldn’t commit. Here’s the thing. I think the character Carrie and Mr. Big, it became in the audiences’ mind a very romantic story,” Candace added.

While we appreciate Candace’s opinions, we’d LOVE to have a SatC 3! And SJP is definitely not too old to win our hearts over again!

What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Should there be a Sex and the City 3?

WATCH: Will There Be A ‘Sex and the City 3′ Movie?

— Chris Rogers

More ‘Sex and the City’ News:

1. Is ‘Sex And The City’ Returning To Television With Sarah Jessica Parker?
  2. ‘Sex And The City’ Author Candace Bushnell To Divorce
  3. ‘Gossip Girl’ Series Finale Pays Homage To ‘Sex And The City’

Kelly

Posted at 4:57 PM on July 9, 2013

I think there should be another on…end on an odd number not an even! I mean if they can think about bringing back Ghostbusters then why not SATC!

VF

Posted at 3:49 AM on June 26, 2013

Hmmm…did I miss something? Was SATC supposed to depict real life? Really? I love SATC because it is entertaining. SJP and gang are not too old to entertain me….Please, bring me a little laughter and a break from my “Realy Life!”

Montessahall

Posted at 8:04 PM on May 26, 2013

Citing the characters as being too old is dumb. Of course there older isn’t everyone? Perhaps the author has run out of imagination However that’s no reason to blame it on the characters and being “older”

Crystal

Posted at 8:53 AM on May 22, 2013

I would love to see the finale movie i mean to see the finale chapter with the ladies one last time.

Crystal

Posted at 8:52 AM on May 22, 2013

It is so sad for the author to say that … yes i mean she did create the whole thing book wise but if it wasn’t for the show and SJP then she wouldn’t be where she is today . I mean really Sarah Jessica Parker is Carrie Bradshaw and always will be at any age . I’m sorry but i can’t watch Carrie Diaries cause i can’t get into it i mean again SJP is carrie . So Candace Bushnell needs to think about where her bread is buttered cause her books did not sell them selves.

Jacki Rive

Posted at 4:04 AM on May 9, 2013

I love SATC and believe these women can actually pull off another nlmovie. They are soo beautiful and designers couldn’t less agree .

Elliek

Posted at 5:56 AM on May 5, 2013

The author is right. There can’t be a new satc. First it’s called satc, it was about SINGLE girls finding their way through the city, learning life lessons… Now it would be about married women being frumpy with in appropriate fashion. They should have just quit while they were ahead and left it after the first movie :( it really was/is one of my favourite TV series, please don’t ruin it even more!

Nichols

Posted at 9:03 PM on April 29, 2013

Why do people put such limitations on someone’s entertainment career? it should be a group decision. she is a mom now and may not want to be away from her kids at such a critical age or whatever the case may be. but it is extremely rude to say she is too old. i agree with the difference in direction of issues and concerns as her character should have matured by now. I also agree that Mr. big is in real life inobtainable but it is a good story. in summary, if there were to be a third movie, the decision should be made based on the direction of the characters and willingness of the actors.

Анна

Posted at 2:11 PM on April 19, 2013

Мне скоро 27, я обожаю этот фильм, меня и моих друзей он сто раз спасал от депрессии!
Сара Джессика для меня всегда молода!
Думаю, 3ю часть можно было бы снять на деньги фанатов)

Sara

Posted at 12:50 AM on April 17, 2013

This is so sad! I can’t believe the actual author of the series thinks the only thing interesting part about carrie is her relationship with Big! Although that was a big part of the show (ha-ha), the relationships between the girls (I LOVE samantha) was really in my opinion what set it apart. I’m 26, and it’s soo disturbing that 47 is somehow a cut off; where you somehow become irrelevant. Maybe some people lose their edge with age (insert the author), but if she had some creativity, i think carrie aging gracefully (like Sarah jessica parker) could make for a great movie. Carrie has always identified with fashion/Style ect. but as you get older, you must start to identify with other areas in life, a issue we all have to someday face. I would LOVE to see carries take on it all, as well as the other girls!

Anastasiya

Posted at 3:43 PM on April 16, 2013

there should DEFINITELY be a 3rd movie!

Paulina

Posted at 6:51 PM on April 13, 2013

I really want SATC 3, please…. Candance U r so wrong!

NATALIA

Posted at 8:54 PM on April 12, 2013

ANYBODY KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT A 3 PART OF SEX AND THE CITY I MEAN YOU’RE THERE (USA CITIZENS) I’M HERE (EUROPE) I GUESS YOU MIGHT KNOW IT BETTER I WOULD THANK YOU FOR ANY NEWS ABOUT IT. Natalia

NATALIA

Posted at 8:50 PM on April 12, 2013

Is Sarah J.P. too old?? So if you are over 40 you’re washed up That comment it’s too tough I think sex and the city is about glamour, sex, friendship those principles that never disappeare There is much more to tell Life changes according to their age Those characters were and still being magical Who’s gonna write a 3 part…..????? PLEASE

Jenjen

Posted at 10:12 PM on April 10, 2013

Love what she said about BIG!!! True, they would have been divorced after a year! It’s just sad that society saw what they ‘thought’ was an authentic love story!

G4519

Posted at 5:26 AM on April 5, 2013

I definitely think 3 is better than too. How outrageous that a character is written off because of age. Quite insulting to 45-50 year old women I’d say. There’s all sorts they can do with the third like bring in some teenage characters to maybe visit the girls as teens, maybe Carrie could get pregnant and Big freaks out and she ends up with Aiden who deserves her more, Miranda could have a second child, a rocky road for Charlotte and Harry, Samantha cancer comes back……..the possibilities are endless!!! You cannot leave Sex and the City with Big and Carrie on the coach forced for wear a rock on a finger because she kissed another man, are you kidding me!!

Jon

Posted at 9:54 PM on March 28, 2013

I think there should definitely, most absolutely be a 3rd Sex and The City Movie, but we’ll just have to wait & see what happens, there should be at least one more, but who Knows?

Mel (@SparklingWino85)

Posted at 7:59 PM on March 28, 2013

As much as I would love a 3rd Sex and the City movie, I would really prefer that they go back to HBO and do a few more show seasons! I would love to have a new episode to look forward to every week rather than another movie. I think they could do a lot story line wise revamping the show too instead of squishing it into a 2 hour movie. After the success of the 1st movie I was hoping that is what they would do.

Give_Me_A_Break

Posted at 4:08 PM on March 26, 2013

Candance lost the right to comment after she sold the rights to sex and the city

LKT

Posted at 1:06 PM on March 26, 2013

they should totally make a third Sex and the City Movie! I miss the girls so much, and if you ask me, the story isnt complete yet. I think sam should get a happy ending with maybe someone spesial (not marriege tho haha) Carrie is still missing something. Anyway, you can always make a story out of four woman! Seriously, I cant wait if there is a possibitiy!! <3

SM

Posted at 12:20 PM on March 26, 2013

Hello?! All the original, core fans of SATC are aging right along with SJP and her onscreen friends. We want to see the REAL SATC characters! Let the teenagers and twenty-somethings create their OWN shows. Sheesh! There are enough shows about women chasing husbands and having babies. Let the women be DIFFERENT, act their age and share the interesting lives they have now. … We’re true fans and we WILL see the movie.

MC

Posted at 6:29 AM on March 26, 2013

I think its sad that 47 year old is put off as too old…

TRACY123

Posted at 7:46 PM on March 25, 2013

She’s all dried up!

Dee

Posted at 7:28 PM on March 25, 2013

Candace B. does NOT know what we want! Us women of all ages want Romance at every age NOT just up to age 47. The reason why SATC did not do well is because we all expected a big surprise at the end! And it did t happen… The unexpected – a baby for Carrie & Big or even adoption! Or even what SJP went through in real life SURROGACy!! It never happened! For 85% of us that would of been the way to go! The woman who had everything- great marriage, career, baby! I definitely could of seen Carrie ad that place in her life!! Do us a favor Candance and make it happen! That story is NOT complete!!!!

:D

Posted at 6:30 PM on March 25, 2013

I liked the second movie….Still can’t forget the scene with Miley in it! hehe