My Chemical Romance Breaks Up After 12 Years

Sat, March 23, 2013 10:22am EDT by 11 Comments
My Chemical Romance Break Up
Courtesy of My Chemical Romance

How sad! The popular rock band announced that they are splitting with a letter to the fans on their website on Mar. 23. Keep reading to see the band’s full statement!

My Chemical Romance, the alt-rock group behind massive hits such as “Helena” and “Welcome To The Black Parade,” announced on Mar. 23 that they were breaking up.

My Chemical Romance Calls It Quits

But even in splitting, the band reaffirmed why so many people loved them with a heartfelt, gracious letter posted on their website.

“Being in this band for the past 12 years has been a true blessing. We’ve gotten to go places we never knew we would. We’ve been able to see and experience things we never imagined possible. We’ve shared the stage with people we admire, people we look up to, and best of all, our friends. And now, like all great things, it has come time for it to end. Thanks for all of your support, and for being part of the adventure.”

Judging from the letter — and the fact that it was posted in the first place — it seems like MCR is splitting amicably, that the time has come to move on to new things.

My Chemical Romance’s Legacy

Since their formation in 2001 by lead singer Gerard Way, My Chemical Romance scored four Billboard Top Ten hits and two platinum records. Their 2008 album, The Black Parade, was nominated for a Grammy.

MCR will be remembered for bridging the gap between popular music and emo rock. They made it cool to wear black and be emotive, and they gained a huge fan base while encouraging everyone to be themselves. They were talented and most of all inspirational to a generation. They will be missed.

Are you sad to hear this news, HollywoodLifers? Let us know!

WATCH: My Chemical Romance – “Welcome to the Black Parade”

– Andrew Gruttadaro

More Band Breakups:

1. Foo Fighters Break Up — Watch Video
  2. The Civil Wars Break Up?
  3. Jack White’s Band, The White Stripes, Officially Calls It Quits! So Good Or No Good?

Paige Raymond

Posted at 8:02 PM on July 14, 2014

God, I am still crying. On the official year of them being broken up, my best friend and I hugged and cried in each others arms. I miss them so much. Gerard Way will always be my hero. I hope one day I will meet Gerard and I can personally thank him. I love My Chemical Romance, they will always be in our hearts.

Nachaly

Posted at 11:18 PM on December 25, 2013

Well I love them a lot I remember I was playing saints row 2 in my room and a song came up witch was My chemical romance Teenagers and I fell inlove with the song so every time I play that game I always listened to that song so one day I decided to search the band and I heard all of there songs and fell inlove all over again you know that feeling you get when you hear that one song and you immediately fall in love with it and the band! That was me and I still have there songs on my phone till this day :) I’m not sad they broke up because I bet they just wanna move on and live there life’s with people they love and just live a normal life so yeah :) I’m going to miss them ALOT though :D

katie-alice

Posted at 2:39 PM on March 27, 2013

plz get back together i <3 you guys

Katy Lopex

Posted at 5:21 PM on March 25, 2013

so breaking up means no more chemical romance? or like splitting up to do their own music?

Reece

Posted at 7:52 AM on March 24, 2013

i remember hearing my first song of mcr on the radio in the car and falling inlove,
this was at an early age and since then i still listen to them, this broke my heart hearing that they broke up.

kate

Posted at 7:24 AM on March 24, 2013

here comes another panic attack, their memory will carry on

Alexandria E

Posted at 2:52 PM on March 23, 2013

Reblogged this on Rainbow Glazed Nights.

killjoy ID: the unusual boring

Posted at 1:48 PM on March 23, 2013

i am seriously crying right now i was looking forward their new music i thought they were going on tour, how about conventional weapons ? i never thought this day would come i thought they’d go on for a while , i’ll miss them so much those guys have saved my life with songs like famous last words.
this isn’t the end of my chemical romance we’ll always be killjoys

sam

Posted at 11:49 AM on March 23, 2013

Noooo i cant belive it

abe is doing it?!!

Posted at 11:35 AM on March 23, 2013

they simply have to by their wifes.
it’s very simple:’Take it or leave it”, I WANT KIDSSSSSSSSS, she screamed

sarah15aj

Posted at 10:27 AM on March 23, 2013

hay i need to ask a question?