Parents Of Newtown Victim Meet With Shooter Adam Lanza’s Father

Fri, March 22, 2013 1:00pm EST by 8 Comments
Newtown Shooting Victim Family
Courtesy of Facebook/CBS

After the terribly sad loss of their six-year-old daughter in the Newtown tragedy, Emilie Parker’s parents decided to meet with Peter Lanza, the killer’s father.

Robbie and Alissa Parker revealed the details of the private conversation they had with Adam Lanza‘s father about his son’s actions at Sandy Hook Elementary and if they feel he’s responsible. See the full interview. The emotional conversation took place Jan. 23, and lasted over an hour, Robbie and Alissa told CBS This Morning on March 22.

The meeting was encouraged by Peter Lanza after he saw the press conference in which Robbie spoke out after losing his daughter in the massacre that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec 14. 2012.

“And we want everybody to know that our hearts and our prayers go out to them,” Robbie had said in the press conference. “This includes the family of the shooter.”

Alissa, Emilie’s mother also had a message for Peter.

“I wanted to tell him that there was a lot of hope and opportunity to gain from this, that he held the keys to,” she said during the new interview. “There was information and things to be learned … and without his cooperation it would go no where.”

Does Emilie’s Mother Blame Adam’s Parents?

When asked if they blamed Peter for the tragic killings, Alissa explained that he wasn’t completely guilty or completely innocent.

“I feel like he’s made mistakes … I don’t feel like he gets the pass, but I don’t feel like he should be responsible for what happened that day,” she said. “That was not ultimately his decision to do that. So, how can I hold him responsible for that? Were there missteps in the raising of his son? Possibly.”

CBS also asked if Alissa and Robbie felt Adam’s mother, who was killed by Adam that day, was guilty.

“Looking from the outside in, it’s hard to not think that there were things that she could have saw,” Alissa said. “But I’m not in her place. I don’t understand their dynamics and their situation so I’m never going to understand that. Does she have accountability? Oh I think she has a lot of accountability. Do I think it was her fault? I’m sure that there were things that, you know, she’s gonna have to be accountable for. But again, it’s not my burden to carry.”

WATCH: Robbie & Alissa Parker Reveal Details To ‘CBS This Morning’

– Emily Longeretta

More Tragic Sandy Hook News:

1. Sandy Hook Killer: Saw School Children As Easiest To Kill
  2. President Obama To Sandy Hook Victims: I Will Reduce Gun Violence
  3. Sandy Hook Hero Who Protected Kids Attacked By Massacre Disbelievers

Aubrey

Posted at 5:52 PM on September 13, 2014

Every weekend i used to pay a quick visit this web site, for the reason that i wish for
enjoyment, as this this web site conations truly pleasant funny material too.

reasons to move to hawaii

Posted at 11:23 PM on August 30, 2014

Do you have any video of that? I’d care to find out more details.

Tina

Posted at 2:25 PM on July 23, 2013

I am not impressed with the Parkers, you can not blame parents for the actions of their mentally ill child. Shame on Mrs. Parker for putting a guilt trip on this man. What if it was their child that had a mental illness. I do empathize with the families here, but my God let’s not play the blame game here. I truly hope the parkers apologize for such a statement it is not founded. It is a shame their is so much secrecy, and still so many unanswered questions. Being a teacher I do not think it honors anyone in my profession to hide the facts. However I do not think the parkers are fake but rather opportunist from a bad situation..:(
T

Michelle

Posted at 9:17 PM on March 22, 2013

That father is a fake! He was laughing at the video the day after his daughter was murdered. Who in the right mind goes from laughing one second to choking up in front of the cameras? Watch the video… What a joke. This whole family is a joke too

Elli Kra

Posted at 2:59 PM on March 22, 2013

Sure there was something wrong in a household where a mother has a gun and ammo depot, leaves it unsecured, and believes she has propoerly trained her son in gun use and safety. I don’t blame the father for getting the he’ll out of that house.

James Knudson

Posted at 1:56 PM on March 22, 2013

This is the same father that was laughing coming out of the school hours after the shooting until camera’s viewed on him, then he came to the mic with such sad talk, he is so fake, go to u tube and see the vid..

morekare

Posted at 1:28 PM on March 22, 2013

Very simply put: if you produce a child and that child is a doctor, e.g., and saves many lives, then the father is responsible for his offspring because without having the child the world would not have benefited. On the other hand, Adam Lanza’s father had a son who killed 20 innocent people, therefore, the father is ultimately the cause of producing his offspring. This is the reason that people should take responsibility for their children’s actions. If you don’t want to spawn, then just say “NO”! Not everybody is meant to reproduce.

abe is doing it?!!

Posted at 1:23 PM on March 22, 2013

I’m glad such families excist in america because this dissaster was NOT america.
your faith must be enormous….