Steubenville Rape Victim’s Mother: ‘I Forgive You’

Mon, March 18, 2013 7:30am EDT by 15 Comments
Steubenville Rape Mom Forgives
AP/Invision

Emotions ran high in the Ohio courtroom on Mar. 17 when one of the convicted teens approached his victim’s mother. Read on to see their heart-wrenching exchange.

The mother of the 16-year-old girl who was horrifically raped in Steubenville, Oh. has gracefully forgiven one of her daughter’s offenders.

Steubenville Rape Victim’s Mother’s Unbelievable Compassion

The emotional moment occurred soon after the verdict was given sentencing Ma’lik Richmond, 16, and Trent Mays, 17, to one and two years in juvenile detention, respectively.

Ma’lik, who had already broke down in tears, approached the mother and said, “I’m so very sorry,” according to MailOnline.

The mother showed unimaginable courage and compassion, responding, “I know you are and I forgive you.”

Outside of the Ohio courtroom, a spokesperson for the victim’s family reiterated their feelings: “It’s a very religious, spiritual family. They are praying for those two men also,” he said.

What an incredibly difficult thing to do — though the victim herself is understandably not yet ready to forgive Ma’lik and Trent, MailOnline reports.

Steubenville Rape Victim’s Mom Speaks Outside Courtroom

The 16-year-old’s mother also gave an official statement, which was less compassionate, after the verdict was announced. “Human compassion is not taught by a teacher, a coach or a parent,” the mother said. “It is a God-given gift instilled in all of us. You displayed not only a lack of this compassion but a lack of any moral code.”

“Your decisions that night affected countless lives including those most dear to you,” the statement continued. “You were your own accuser through the social media that you chose to publish your criminal conduct on.”

“This does not define who my daughter is,” the mother said. Slightly breaking down, she emotionally finished her statement. “She will perservere, grow, and move on.”

“I have pity for you both. I hope you fear the Lord, repent for your actions, and pray hard for his forgiveness.”

– Andrew Gruttadaro

More Tragic Court Cases:

1. Oscar Pistorius Breaks Down In Tears During Murder Charge
  2. James Holmes’ First Court Appearance — Did He Look Insane?
  3. Jaycee Dugard’s Captors Receive Life Sentences In Court For Kidnapping And Sexual Assault

internet martkeing

Posted at 8:24 AM on March 21, 2013

Normally I don’t read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great article.

Emma

Posted at 7:50 PM on March 18, 2013

How tragic that the mother of the victim actually had the audacity to hug her daughter ‘s rapist. Wow. I wonder how her unforgiving daughter feels about this. If it was me I would feel utterly betrayed. Just another horrible thing she now has to deal with. This mother should feel ashamed. She claims she hugged her daughter’s rapist because she is a forgiving woman. Nothing could ever make me as a mother forgive my daighter’s rapist. I hope she regrets that hug. What was the purpose anyway? Is she a martyr? You betch!

JustMe

Posted at 8:45 AM on March 24, 2013

Where did you read that she hugged him? I read that she said “I know you are and I forgive you” in every article. Where does it say she hugged him?

Ashley Vaughan

Posted at 11:50 AM on March 18, 2013

Ma’lik Richmond’s sorrow and apology is not for the girl or for his horrific abuse of her, but for his own selfishness and because he got caught. If he was truly sorry and repentant, he would have apologized to her the day after he raped her. But, he didn’t did he? He only expressed remorse after he was tried and convicted. Good thing he and his scumbag counterpart, Trent Mays, didn’t have me for their judge. They’d be looking at the maximum: four years.

Bob

Posted at 10:22 AM on March 18, 2013

“I forgive you?” You’re daughter is a drunken psychopath who just took two peoples’ lives. Hopefully someone will do the right thing and end this girl’s life before she destroys any more lives so she can drink herself into a wanton oblivion.

jen

Posted at 11:39 AM on March 18, 2013

You’re an idiot!

Scarlet

Posted at 4:19 PM on March 18, 2013

what a horrible statement. How is this girl to blame?? So she drank.. Are you saying that EVERY OTHER GIRL at those parties was NOT drinking?? MOron.

It is sooo obvious that you are obviously from that town. Are you jelous that those boys didn’t pay more attention to you that night. Because ALL of the girls from that town who are trash talking this poor VICTIM are pathetic.

Lyd

Posted at 6:50 AM on April 1, 2013

I feel sorry for you. If your thinking does not change the only friends you have will bear the same, sick mind as yourself. Your thinking is everything that is wrong with the world.

ELVIS PRESALEY

Posted at 9:06 AM on March 18, 2013

WELL GOD WAS WITH THEM AFTERWARDS. BECAUSE THEY POSTED IT ON THE INTERNET SO THAT THEY WOULD GET CAUGHT TO REPENT THERE WAYS. GOD WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS!

jess

Posted at 11:02 AM on March 18, 2013

So “HE” is electronic too? Ridiculous.

My thoughts.

Posted at 8:59 AM on March 18, 2013

This mother is a far better person than I am. I am still angry thinking that this stuff was posted all over the internet.

HL, why don’t you do a story about what the criminals families are saying??

Bob

Posted at 10:23 AM on March 18, 2013

You’re a psychopath. You make this drunk teen out to be a hero so she can drink herself to the point that she can’t speak or move huh? Hopefully someone executes her for the lives she has claimed with her drinking habit.

liz puff

Posted at 11:53 AM on March 18, 2013

Bob, you are an ignorant, pathetic looser. Only a subhuman could think like you. I am sorry you are the spawn of a tainted gene pool. Probably not your fault, your mother and father probably have a combined IQ of 100. God does make mistakes, he lets you exsist. Have fun in your eventual resting place, hell.

Jen

Posted at 3:36 PM on March 18, 2013

That is very ignorant. Even if you don’t agree with her drinking ways, she is still a child and children make mistakes. You can wish her to die because she drank at a party. Many teens do that. Also, if it was your daughter or sister or mom, and she had done that would u also wish her execution? Yes, she shouldn’t have drank that much but that doesn’t mean she gave those guys open opportunity to do whatever they want. When you sleep at night, does that mean you’re opening your home to others so they can go in and do whatever?

olivia

Posted at 6:15 PM on March 18, 2013

So Bob, what you’re saying is it’s totally okay to rape an unconscious person? Regardless of her drinking, they committed a crime. They performed sexual acts on an unwilling/non consenting human. It doesn’t matter if they’re drunk, high, sleeping, in a coma, dancing naked down the street. It does not give anyone the right to touch them in any way they do not or cannot consent to. We are not animals. We have self control and do not need to stoop to such barbaric and uncivilized actions. Those who do should be rightly punished and, in my opinion, never forgiven. Rape isn’t in accident. It’s a predetermined action that merits harsh punishment.