Baby Survives 8-Story Fall With Mom After She Jumped To Her Death

Thu, March 14, 2013 9:51am EST by 19 Comments
Baby Survives Suicide Jump
Courtesy of Google

A 10-month-old baby miraculously survived an 8-story jump out of a New York City apartment building on March 13 when his mom, a New York State Supreme Court lawyer, committed suicide with the baby strapped to her chest.

Cindy Bacharach, 44, was in an argument with her husband, Hal Bacharach, 48, when she jumped from her the eighth floor of her apartment building in the Harlem neighborhood of New York City — with her 10-month-old son strapped to her chest.

Fortunately, the baby boy, Keston, survived the fall, but Cindy was found dead at the scene, authorities tell the New York Post. Cindy was a Columbia University-educated attorney with the New York State Supreme Court. She lived with her husband at The Sutton luxury co-op building at 102 Bradhurst Avenue in Harlem.

Authorities say Cindy landed on her back when she fell, which led the baby, who was strapped to her chest, to survive. He was rushed to a Harlem hospital, where he remains in stable condition.

Witnesses Report Hearing A Scream From The Apartment

“I heard a scream, a scared scream,” a witness Steven Dominguez, 18, tells the New York Post. “I noticed a woman was falling. As she was coming down, she was coming down on her back. I saw the baby bounce on her chest and fall to the concrete. The baby started crying.”

Two police officers happened to be nearby in a squad car and witnessed the jump.

Cindy left a seven-page suicide note according to the New York Daily News, in which she reportedly wrote to her husband, “I love you. I’m making you suffer. You’re going to think I’m evil.”

What do YOU think of the baby surviving HollyMoms? Isn’t is a miracle? Let us know in the comments below!

– Christina Stiehl

More Miraculous Baby Survival Stories:

1. Infant Survives 6-Story Fall From Apartment Building Unharmed!
  2. Toddler Falls Five Floors From A Window… And SURVIVES!
  3. The Terrifying Moment A Toddler Falls From A Fourth-Floor Window — And Survives!

last reggae video "Sème" - pot

Posted at 5:17 AM on July 14, 2013

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this web site before but after looking at many of the posts I realized it’s new to me.
Nonetheless, I’m definitely pleased I came across it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!

Mrs. Right

Posted at 8:45 PM on March 15, 2013

As a mother who suffered through ppd, I can not understand how you can be sympathetic to her situation. No matter what you are going through, you can always seek help. If you have suicidal thoughts, call the police. If you want to harm your baby, do anything to keep yourself from doing so. If she had the focus and dedication to write a 7 pg. suicide note…she could have taken the baby to a neighbor and then jumped. Why can you sympathize with a woman who essentially attempted pre-meditated murder on her own child?

Communicate

Posted at 12:32 PM on July 1, 2013

In our country, more people DON’T seek help, than do. And research tries to explain why. Mental illness is still very misunderstood, & the public outcry surrounding it, & it’s stigmas, are harsh. We still don’t understand how people can’t be more in control, during or after, an elpisode. we are mind boggled. Mental Illness. Our society is FAR FROM PERFECT, to include us, the people in it. I hear the pain & anguish of the “post-ers here….some hurting, some angry, & wishing the hands of time were turned back, to have stopped this tragedy, for the child, mother & family.

Communicate

Posted at 12:36 PM on July 1, 2013

Sorry for the typo…..meant “episode” . In our country, more people DON’T seek help, than do. And research tries to explain why. Mental illness is still very misunderstood, & the public outcry surrounding it, & it’s stigmas, are harsh. We still don’t understand how people can’t be more in control, during or after, an episode. we are mind boggled. Mental Illness. Our society is FAR FROM PERFECT, to include us, the people in it. I hear the pain & anguish of the “post-ers here….some hurting, some angry, & wishing the hands of time were turned back, to have stopped this tragedy, for the child, mother & family.

Marshmallow CHAOS

Posted at 12:25 PM on March 15, 2013

Someone mentally unstable enough to jump out of a window with their baby strapped to their chest as a means of revenge to their husband is just as evil and psychotic as the lunatic who shot up that Colorado movie theater.

That being said, since everyone is trying to ban guns, maybe they should also consider banning high rise buildings too. Since it’s only logical to ban everything the lunatics use to terrorize other people. Also, since it would be relatively impossible to spawning lunatics, I hope the next lunatic uses a pair of Crocs, because I’d like to see those banned.

Marshmallow CHAOS

Posted at 12:26 PM on March 15, 2013

*to stop spawning lunatics

Laura

Posted at 10:32 AM on March 15, 2013

What I am arguing here is that she was in a state of mind where she wasn’t in control of her actions. To me her comments sound heartbroken. She knew that this act would bring pain but didn’t feel able to stop herself. She was clearly psychotic, in that she felt she had failed as a mother because her baby fell off the bed. She believed that her inattention had caused him to be at risk to develop cerebral palsy or autism. This is despite the fact that doctors told her this wasn’t the case. I don’t believe that she is “rotting in hell” and would like to remind you that I knew this woman, so would appreciate a bit of sensitivity to that fact.

Wanda

Posted at 8:27 PM on March 15, 2013

@Laura. You knew this woman you say. You also seem to know a lot about what was going on….her state of mind. I’m sure if she had PPD someone would’ve done something about it right?
I don’t think someone having a psychotic episode wouldn’t take the time to write a 7 page suicide note telling the husband she wanted to hurt him. Why do that ? wouldn’t she have just jumped whether she took the baby with her or not?
All I can say is that if you kill yourself you’re going to hell.

Jen

Posted at 11:22 PM on March 15, 2013

I had severe PPD. I don’t think many people understand. I can imagine she was most likely a type A personality. Andrea Yates was valedictorian as well. I can understand if she was not getting help that she suffered a pyschotic break. I did seek help but there is a lot of shame in seeking help for some people. Mental health issues are serious, just like cancer.My neighbor commited suicide a year ago. Had everything going for him and hid a serious depression. Left behind a 4 year old son whom he adored. Do I think he was selfish? No, he was depressed. Depression is cancer of the soul. RIP Cindy.

Michelle

Posted at 4:17 AM on March 15, 2013

In the suicide note she left is pure selfishness ”I love you. I’m making you suffer. You’re going to think I’m evil… Selfish! She should have seeked help long before her jump and she didnt have to think she was going to take her childs life away from this world and her husband, Oh well, Shes rotting in hell now from committing that kind of act. Atempted murder and suicide sure dont get you into heaven now does it.

Laura

Posted at 11:25 PM on March 14, 2013

I actually graduated two years behind Cindy and knew her through friends. She was valedictorian of our high school and voted “smartest” and “most likely to succeed.” A girlfriend of mine shared that she was a good, kind, lovely soul. She was clearly in the grips of extreme post partum depression, which can slip into psychosis. Unbelievably sad, but the proof of her not being in her right mind is shown by not only the fact that she took her own life, but jumped with her baby in arms. This from a woman who served as a lawyer in Pakistan fighting for women’s rights against abuse. Clearly she must have had some sort of psychotic break that drove her to this act. For those of you here, my comment is “Judge not lest ye be judged.” You have no idea who she was or what her struggles were.

Frustrated Genius!!

Posted at 12:44 PM on March 14, 2013

I’m sorry but that really is selfish, you shouldn’t ever give up on life anyway but to take ur baby with u just cause u’ve given up on it…No!!

Really

Posted at 11:27 AM on March 14, 2013

That is very sad and I hope that baby will be okay and grows up without too many mental and emotional problems from his mother’s selfish act.

With that being said, WTH Hollywoodlife? You are a gossip site, don’t try to pretend you do real news. This woman wasn’t famous and it didn’t even happen in Hollywood, so STFU! and leave the real world stories to real news people.

Wanda

Posted at 12:31 PM on March 14, 2013

@Really. Damn! you went off on them. Whats really going on?

Jess

Posted at 10:33 AM on March 14, 2013

I don’t believe anybody should quit on life, things can get better, but why quit?

switcher

Posted at 10:24 AM on March 14, 2013

HOOOOOOOO in the hell killes herself if just fighting was going on!!!!!!!!!!!!???????

Wanda

Posted at 10:59 AM on March 14, 2013

@Switcher. You’d be surprised how many people kill themselves over dumb s###!
They think it’s punishing the person they had a fight with,but they’re the one that’s going to hell.
I live by a saying that goes like this.
If you think you got it bad, there is somebody out there who’s got it a whole lot worse. That saying has gotten me through a lot of bad days. When bad things are happening I always think, hey! it could be worse. I then do what I can and leave the rest up to God.

switcher

Posted at 11:18 AM on March 14, 2013

@ Wanda very!! very!!very!! good comment!!!!!

abe is doing it!!?

Posted at 10:13 AM on March 14, 2013

there was more going on in that family than just a fight!!