Elisabeth Hasselbeck Leaving ‘The View’ After 9 Years — Report

Fri, March 8, 2013 11:59pm EDT by 75 Comments
Elisabeth Hasselbeck The View
Courtesy of ABC

Ironically, the former ‘Survivor’ contestant is reportedly being voted off the hit talk show. And will Barbara Walters join her?

Worst. International. Women’s. Day. Ever. Just hours after Joy Behar confirmed she’s ending her 16-year run on The View this August, a new report claims that Elisabeth Hasselbeck will also be bidding farewell to the ABC daytime feud-fest. But unlike Joy, Elisabeth is allegedly being forced out of her seat at the ladies’ table!

“The viewers they polled all said she was too extreme and right wing,” a source close to production tells Us Weekly. “People did not watch the show because of Elisabeth. So they told her yesterday her contract would not be renewed.”

Elisabeth, who became an official View co-host in Nov. 2003, is believed to be the show’s most polarizing force. Viewers either love her for being an outspoken Republican in Hollywood, or they despise her for having such radically different views from their own. If Us‘ report is true, it would appear the latter category has won out.

A Brief History Of Elisabeth Hasselbeck

Though The View made Elisabeth, 35, a household name, the daytime talk show wasn’t her first foray into the world of national television. She was a member of the Kucha tribe on 2001’s Survivor: The Australian Outback, where she apparently didn’t learn how to survive being voted off of shows.

She married Tim Hasselbeck, her college boyfriend, in July 2002. They have three children together: daughter Grace Elizabeth, born in 2005; son Taylor Thomas, born in 2007; and Isaiah Timothy, born in 2009.

Barbara Walters On Her Way Out Too?

Sources tell the Daily News that the show’s creator/executive producer and star, Barbara Walters is considering stepping down.

Barbara and reps for the show declined to comment.

HollywoodLifers, are you disappointed to hear that Elisabeth is leaving The View? Where do you think she should go next? Drop a comment with your thoughts on this shocking departure.

— Andy Swift

More of The View on HollywoodLife.com:

1. Joy Behar Leaving ‘The View’ After 16 Years
  2. Elisabeth Hasselbeck Accuses Chris Brown Of Twitter ‘Verbal Rape’
  3. Sherri Shepherd To Rihanna: Admit You’re Dating Chris Brown

Tony

Posted at 1:50 PM on September 16, 2013

I have tried to e-mail in the past but never got through. I belong to a book club and everyone loved Elizabeth. Non of us could stand Joy. As a matter of fact most of the ladies us to tape your show but stopped because they could not watch how the ladies treated Elizabet. I just stopped watching period because I was getting so fed up everyday. The nice thing about Elizabeth is that she obviously read the news paper and new what was going on. People should be able to say what they feel. The other ladies would be so rude to her and cut her off all the time. I was so sorry to see her go but so glad to see Joy gone. Still will not watch it.

Mr Contradiction

Posted at 6:43 PM on July 23, 2013

I agree with almost nothing Elisabeth says but I’m going to miss her. Her views many times are half baked and not always well thought out but for some strange reason she’s grown on me over the years. I think she’s a good person with a good heart but somewhat misguided. She’s a perfect fit for Fox and Friends where half baked, not well thought out views are not only tolerated, they’re encouraged! Farewell Elisabeth I wish you well….

Lettamae

Posted at 11:37 AM on July 12, 2013

Listen to the way you state your comments, they sound so hateful why can’t you give an opinion without sounding so hateful or like a racist, this is why people left and right wing does not want to hear what a lot of republicans have to say anymore you come across as unfair, insensitive, judgmental. Listen carefully judge wisely and try to make sense when you say.

ebonyskydiver

Posted at 12:17 PM on July 10, 2013

Ratings will reveal how the majority feels about her departure. Watch the ratings shoot up, LOL!!!

Larry

Posted at 10:50 PM on June 30, 2013

Elisabeth Angel, when you leave the view, what are you going to do next? I’m the guy who always defended you on the MB site when so many people disliked you because you dared say something bad about President Obama. I wanted to start world war three when these dummies accused you of being racist and all that nonsense! I may have over done it and got banned from that site, but it really made me angry. Sorry for my over response. Where can I follow you next Elisabeth?

Larry

Posted at 10:41 PM on June 30, 2013

Elisabeth is the last regular on the VIEW that you could fire. Just reading that discusts me! She is gorgeous and smart. The only woman who was both gorgeous and smart, I liked the older Italian woman, but she is 70, Still great looking! but no contest for Elisabeth. The other three regulars seemed to be mentally ill. SO WHY PENALIZE THE BEST!!!

magic johnson

Posted at 6:09 PM on March 26, 2013

Hi there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this website.

Sandra

Posted at 7:13 AM on March 12, 2013

I love Elizabeth. She is a dignified, intelligent, articulate, decent lady. I love Whoopi too. Loved her in Sister Act. Whoopi is such an independent thinker! She and Maya Angelou are some if my favorite American voices. Love Elizabeth and love Whoopi. All these women are deep thinkers and a lot of fun!!!

TroobeeSez

Posted at 3:27 PM on March 27, 2013

Lizabeth has plenty of worthwhile points of view. I’m what most would call Liberal, Elizabeth is Conservative. Yet we share many ideas based in common sense. Why can’t there be a variety of ideas to think about? If the View was all-liberal POV, even I would get bored. You really need a balance to spark interest and conversation.

And by the way, Elizabeth is NOT leaving, Barbara Walters announced a few days ago. DO YOUR RESEARCH!

Richard Fitzwell

Posted at 1:48 PM on March 11, 2013

Too bad she is NOT leaving. Some great reporting and inside info on this story, NOT.

Marianne

Posted at 10:57 AM on March 11, 2013

I will never watch this left wing show again now that Elizabeth is going..she made it half-way balanced

lavon smith

Posted at 11:26 AM on March 11, 2013

I agree, Elizaeth was the only INTELLIGENT MEMBER OF THE VIEW. It is trash and I will not watch without a modicum of intelligence. there is NONE; BEHAR IS NO LOSS. GOOD RIDANCE.

Thundergrammy

Posted at 10:55 AM on March 11, 2013

WOW, some so hateful. Sorry your life is such a disappointment that attacking others, makes you happy. Chill, it’s just TV, not your life.

rosemary smith

Posted at 10:11 AM on March 11, 2013

Liberals can NEVER take the heat …and if they think EH is a right wing fanatic , they are truely dillusional cowards . Michele Malkin could SCHOOL those LEFTIES …Now , THAT would get the Ratings ! ha ha

Audrey DeShields

Posted at 9:45 AM on March 11, 2013

yes I don’t agree with her on most things but her opinion his valuable according to the rules of
offering different thoughts and views…we cannot not just hear the things we agree with and should make room for a different perspective

coopsa

Posted at 9:30 AM on March 11, 2013

It is fine to have a “view” but when your view crosses over to demeaning your other co-hosts, because your view is different; then that is a problem.

Jeanne Ohr

Posted at 9:17 AM on March 11, 2013

I think this is so childish, not to want another opinion on the View, I will never watch it again, if it’s all liberals and no other voice to be heard. Th
is is a two party country and you already have four democrates up there why should only one republican threaten you so much. I am happy Joy is leaving because ever since she walked out on O’Reiley it showed that she cannot hold it together and her other shows have failed also, it’s great she’s going. But they still need a balance and another Republican on the show. Barbara needs to leave too if she’s now getting only one Democratic opinion on the show with no other people welcome. Let the show go people it’s over for this screaming bunch of women who can’t discuss without hating each other.
Good Bye.

Khan

Posted at 8:15 AM on March 11, 2013

There is a God! Good bye you Right Wing Twit!! Don’t let the door smack your backside on your way out! Yes!!

Kevin

Posted at 9:18 AM on March 11, 2013

How she could sit next to those fugly liberal hags for 9 years is amazing to me.

john

Posted at 10:21 AM on March 11, 2013

whoppie is a fanatic when you say something she doesn’t like about the liar in chief,barack pinocchio oblamer. baselessly alluding that it is racially motivated, when in truth it is a fact that this is the worst president we have had in along time.when are you going to boot her off the show with her biased opinions,or is it a fact that republicans are not allowed to have an opinion on abc’s liberal left leaning show.

halois buggs

Posted at 12:03 PM on March 19, 2013

John your statement sound like a redneck idiot. How is this the worse president when we had one that we lived of the horoscopes for 8 years. The reason you think he is the worse is he african american,be for real he won 4 more years. All his votes were not from blacks, I guess you’re smarter than all other americans who voted for him.

Maggie

Posted at 7:50 AM on March 11, 2013

The name of the show should be The Far Left Liberal View. Good riddance Joy Behar, you are grossly ignorant.

Steven

Posted at 2:55 AM on March 11, 2013

The…”Poll” sounds irresponsible:dishonest. People who say “I didn’t watch show because of Elisabeth” are liars. MOST likely watched it BECAUSE of her. Beth IS/was the one who energized and electrified the show. It’s…THE View, not Everyones-View-Will-Likely-Be-The-Same View! If ABC’s executives did that…”Poll,” then they are some poor exscuse of dust mite procreants. And that’s REALLY low. Just have a look at this poll, yahoos, US Weekly, maybe more. Those executives are rats and snakes, having a PERSONAL agenda to be rid of THE energy of that show. Maybe HOLLYWOOD had a word with ABC? Likely.

Big Daddy

Posted at 2:37 AM on March 11, 2013

to right wing??? as opposed to the ultra left others.. what a flipping joke.

corey

Posted at 1:21 AM on March 11, 2013

yea did not like her ..every body was wrong ( but her)

Teri Hooper

Posted at 12:44 AM on March 11, 2013

Glad to see her go. I only watched when she was on maternity leave because I couldn’t stand her immature know-it-all attitude. Barbara can go with her.

Elizabeth Gordon

Posted at 12:48 PM on March 21, 2013

I agree with you!!!

Noreen

Posted at 7:36 PM on March 10, 2013

I find it interesting (read ridiculous) that a show called “The View” which was supposed to be comprised of women with different views found it necessary to not renew the contract of the one woman on the panel (since the show began, I might add) that represented conservative women and their “views” and opinions. Why don’t they just call it Liberal View?

John

Posted at 8:31 PM on March 10, 2013

Elisabeth and Barbra are the brightest spots on the View!

TroobeeSez

Posted at 3:39 PM on March 27, 2013

Elizabeth wasn’t on from the beginning; the article states she started 2003. She replaced Lisa Ling, if I recall correctly.

And she’s NOT LEAVING!!!!!

greg

Posted at 7:16 PM on March 10, 2013

And I’m sure they did an “unbiased ” poll. A left wing group only polling left wingers for all the left wing media.

Jane Brown

Posted at 5:24 PM on March 10, 2013

I used to watch ABC all day long. Then I tired of the View, but not of Elisabeth. I thought Whoopie was a great addition. I just couldn’t put up with Joy and her bad manners. Then they took of my soaps leaving only General Hospital. That’s when I stopped watching everything except General Hospital and Castle. The final straw was when they wouldn’t allow men to wear an AMERICAN FLAG in their lapel. I used to enjoy the news programs, morning, noon & night, but I won’t watch them any longer. I’ll adjust to CBS in time. My anger & disgust is directed toward management more than anyone else. Of course, I’m glad to know the Joy is leaving & sad to hear about Elisabeth.

CARMELA

Posted at 3:17 AM on March 11, 2013

I AM GLAD BOTH OF THEM ARE LEAVING

Jeanne Ohr

Posted at 9:22 AM on March 11, 2013

Elizabeth I feel was fair in her opinions she always complimented the demos when she felt it was earned and she said what she felt when she had to stand up for the Republicans. Guess they want a private club up there, Democrates only. Don’t watch this show it’s one sided and it’s time they get off the air altogether.