Joy Behar Leaving ‘The View’ After 16 Years

Thu, March 7, 2013 6:58pm EDT by 20 Comments
Joy Behar Leaving The View
Courtesy of ABC

Joy says ‘it seemed like the right time’ to say goodbye to the show that made her a household name.

There’s about to be a lot less clucking on TV’s most popular hen house! HollywoodLife.com‘s sister site Deadline is reporting that Joy Behar — who has been involved with ABC’s The View since its premiere in 1997 — is leaving the show in August.

“It seemed like the right time,” she tells the site. “You reach a point when you say to yourself, ‘Do I want to keep doing this?’ There are other things on my plate I want to do — I’ve been writing a play, I’ve been neglecting my standup.”

But don’t expect Joy to disappear from TV forever! No, sir.

“I do like talk shows, I’m interested in talking to people,” she continues. “I want to do an intelligent talk show where you have room to breathe.”

(Well excuse me, Joy, but if Whoopi Goldberg farting on national television isn’t “intelligent” enough for you, then what is?)

CNN seems like a likely second home for Joy, as she confirms she had a “positive meeting” with CNN President Jeff Zucker and that she sees CNN as a “great place” for a potential new show.

Is Joy Behar Being Replaced On ‘The View’?

Despite a report from Star magazine, claiming that Joy was being forced off The View in order to be replaced by either Brooke Shields or Alexandra Wentworth, that’s simply not the case.

Joy’s decision to leave was completely her own, Deadline reports, and her rep tells RumorFix, “There is no chance Joy is going to be replaced on The View.”

That said, someone will have to come in to fill Joy’s legendary seat at the View table, so drop us a comment and tell us who you think should join the cast!

Barbara Walters On Her Way Out Too?

Sources tell the Daily News that the show’s creator/executive producer and star, Barbara Waltersis considering stepping down.

Barbara and reps for the show declined to comment.

— Andy Swift

More Joy Behar on HollywoodLife.com:

1. Joy Behar: ‘Honey Boo Boo Will Grow Up To Be A Big Fat Woman’
  2. Joy Behar Marries Her Longtime Boyfriend Steve Janowitz
  3. ‘The View’ Ladies: Michelle Duggar Must Be Getting Pregnant For Great Orgasms

Quinn

Posted at 8:35 AM on August 12, 2013

Thank goodness that Joy Behar is leaving. Nasty know it all person. Stop watching the View because of her. She needed to be reminded that it was called THE VIEW, not Joy Behar’s View. Go and never come back.

rdaley

Posted at 2:40 PM on August 12, 2013

I agree 100% with Quinn.

anne

Posted at 3:02 PM on March 11, 2013

i love brooke shields, but do not think she will be the best replacement. you need someone that has some spunk, but is not annoying

Bonita Allen

Posted at 12:34 AM on March 11, 2013

FINALLY, the old bag is out the door! Good riddance and change your name too…a “joy” you are not! Rude, obnoxious, unfunny, would be good names for her. She always sounds like she needs to blow her whining nose! This change comes 161/2 years too late.

jjinfl

Posted at 8:34 AM on March 8, 2013

So pleased to see this happen. All the members of the View are so hateful and ugly to one another and are always barking their political opinions as if they are uber queens who have a right to dictate to everyone else. Whoopi Goldberg is unable to even crack a smile,and Barbara Walters seems unable to control the constant yelling and negativity. Joy Behar is one of the worst mean and angry people I’ve seen on t.v., and she is one reason why I stopped watching this show. The post says she plans to go back to stand up comedy, and I sure wonder what is funny about her. Is it possible that they can replace her with someone who is not as rude and biased? Find a new panel member who is not a raving bee-och and can discuss a topic without being an irrational egotist.. I ask the View please not to make it worse by getting another Rosie O’Donnell type….select this new person thoughtfully and have some actual calm discussions rather than screaming matches.

ladym

Posted at 8:54 PM on March 8, 2013

I am glad to see her go. Should take the show off the air. I quit watching it a long time ago can’t stand all the bickering and talking over each other.

Rayna

Posted at 1:06 AM on March 8, 2013

I’ll be sad to see Joy Behar leave the View, one of my favorite shows, but I’m glad to hear she’s writing a play and also returning to standup. I never miss an episode of the View, even though I’m always at work at DISH when it’s on, so I record it on my DVR. I’ve recorded a lot of seasons of the View on my DISH Hopper because it can record and store up to 2,000 hours of entertainment. This way, I can keep my seasons of the View with Joy Behar, and my kids can also keep their favorite recordings.

Laveda

Posted at 11:49 PM on March 7, 2013

Good riddance! Never had anything good to say about anyone! Loud mouth liar!

Katie

Posted at 11:27 PM on March 7, 2013

They all seem like they are in a bad mood all the time and they talk over each other.
Kathie Lee and Hoda are more fun.

margeret krizmanic

Posted at 8:35 PM on March 10, 2013

thank god.I try to skip past Elisabeth’s rants. Love the show, not E.
probably will miss joy. Its about tjme that BW checks out .NEVER miss the show.

peter

Posted at 10:45 PM on March 7, 2013

Wanda Sykes

CC

Posted at 9:50 PM on March 7, 2013

What in the dickens does Obama have to do with this discussion. Some of you are more obsessed than the liberals.

abe is doing it!!?

Posted at 9:32 PM on March 7, 2013

be honest: IT WAS THAT GOOD?

Nancy Marcho

Posted at 9:23 PM on March 7, 2013

Good riddance – she’s an annoying big mouth who isn’t funny at all. I stopped watching the show many years ago because I just couldn’t stand her anymore.

richpol09@comcast.net

Posted at 9:46 PM on March 7, 2013

My feelings exactly. In spite of her katty relations with barb wawa, she was a chubby bore with a stupid grin. Liberal or whatever, better off gone.

kris

Posted at 8:09 PM on March 7, 2013

since i stop watching this show many years ago i don’t really care but know matter what people do move on to do other things all the best joy

Jeannette Harkin

Posted at 7:22 PM on March 7, 2013

As long as it’s not another liberal Obama lover all will be well!

angie

Posted at 8:00 PM on March 7, 2013

well well well they’re trying to keep ole Liz there i get it though guess they have to have that one that is slightly off and makes non stop senseless jibber jaber….

C-ya

Posted at 10:25 AM on March 8, 2013

I agree that Joy leaving the show will be a plus for the audience. It was so much negativity from her constant biased politics. She definitely made it hard to enjoy the last year in particular when she brought her personal political bias into every conversation and only asked political opinions from guests that shared her agenda. So transparent and tunnel visioned!

Carol Timmel

Posted at 4:29 PM on March 11, 2013

I agree. She was definitely loud mouthed and you could not talk against OBAMA. I got sick of her. I stopped watching the show. Now I guess in August I can start watching it again. Elizabeth is the only sane one. We need more like her. Whoopie is so liberal like Joy, I would be careful with what I say. I think Whoopie should dress more smart. She really looks dauty.