January Jones: Eating My Placenta Prevented Postpartum Depression

Thu, February 28, 2013 10:51am EDT by 10 Comments
January Jones Eats Placenta
FameFlynet

The ‘Mad Men’ star and proud mom of Xander, 17, months, revealed in a new interview that after she ate her own placenta, she felt amazing and would recommend it to all moms! Do YOU think that’s gross?

January Jones, 35, welcomed a beautiful gift when her baby boy Xander Dane Jones was born on Sept. 13 2011 — but it’s her infant son she actually credits for giving her an all-natural gift that keeps on giving, and made her feel happy, healthy and energized.

The Man Men actress had her placenta dried and and turned into capsules, which she ingested regularly — and swears helped her stave off postpartum depression.

“I was never depressed or sad or down after the baby was born, so I’d highly suggest it to any pregnant woman,” she tells Glamour magazine in the April 2013 issue.

But even if the idea of eating your own, um, organ sounds gross and foreign to most new moms, the blonde beauty insists it’s not weird.

January Jones Defends Eating Her Placenta

She called it a “very civilized thing which can help women with depression and fatigue,” she told  the magazine. “It’s not gross or witchcrafty.” We’ll take her word for it.

January admitted to eating her own placenta for the first time last year when her son was just a few months old, but admits she should have kept it to herself because of all the fuss it caused.

At the time, dietitians and experts came revealed that there were no nutritional benefits to eating your placenta.

What do YOU think of January Jones eating her own placenta HollyMoms? Is that something you would try?

– Christina Stiehl

More January Jones News:

1. Liam Hemsworth Flirts With January Jones At Pre-Oscars Party — Report
  2. Liam Hemsworth Parties With January Jones: Trouble With Miley Cyrus?
  3. January Jones Takes Son Xander On A Lunch Date — Cute Pic

Jasmine

Posted at 9:07 AM on March 1, 2013

I’ve had 2 kids and never ate my placenta. I never had PPD either. So how does she know that’s the reason?! So silly.

Melissa

Posted at 1:32 AM on March 1, 2013

I’m glad that January Jones made it public that she took placenta pills. I would hope that more women would look into the benefits of them and consider doing this. Initially I was grossed out by the idea of them, but after doing my research and being open minded…I did end up taking placenta pills. I think it was a great choice! I had a quick recovery after labor and did not suffer from any baby blues or post partum depression. Go January Jones! Can’t wait for the new season of Mad Men! :)

Michelle

Posted at 9:47 PM on February 28, 2013

Yuck x 5000

hailey

Posted at 6:28 PM on February 28, 2013

Animals usually eat their placentas after giving birth. IT IS a natural thing. However, I don’t usually rely on my “animal instincts”. I feel a bit more civilized than that…I think we can all agree that this woman is absurd and should focus more on normal vitatims that can give her the same effective vitams and endorphins.

olivia

Posted at 6:11 PM on February 28, 2013

This has no logic at all.

Nobody Special

Posted at 12:00 PM on February 28, 2013

Oh and by the way: I’M Wiccan, and we do NOT believe in eating one’s ( or anyone eles’s, for that matter) placenta. We do not believe in eating/drinking of blood.
Ewwwwwwww.
Gross.

Nobody Special

Posted at 11:58 AM on February 28, 2013

The first thing to pop into my mind, was : can we say cann*i*bal*ism ???

Gina

Posted at 11:27 AM on February 28, 2013

It’s also great for dieting cause I sure dont feel like eating anymore after reading this story!

Nobody Special

Posted at 11:57 AM on February 28, 2013

@ Gina: lmao, IKR !?!?!

abe is doing it!!?

Posted at 11:16 AM on February 28, 2013

don’t talk rubbish: JUST SHOW IT ON SREEN!!