‘American Idol’: The Judges Made A Mistake By Keeping Zoanette Johnson

Thu, February 28, 2013 1:59pm EDT by 32 Comments
American Idol Zoanette Johnson
Courtesy of YouTube

Donriki Wood

Posted at 5:41 AM on May 27, 2013

Lets be practical here. I may not be a professional judge of who’s good at singin & who’s not. But hearing Zoanette at the auditions round, i was surprised that the judges voted yes. I doubt if Kieth totally agreed to those yesses. It seems to me that she totally swallowed all the right tones in, and to say that her voice was out of this world, idon’t know how.

jouna x

Posted at 8:13 PM on April 18, 2013

ubangee tribal primate…

Mike

Posted at 10:41 PM on April 3, 2013

I will discribe Zoanette in one word “PROFESIONAL”

ELVIS PRESLEY

Posted at 7:52 PM on March 21, 2013

SHE IS TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT I GUESS NICKI LOVES HER, SO I GUESS THAT SHOWS THE KIND OF TASTE NICKI HAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kay

Posted at 4:09 AM on March 7, 2013

“Singing competition.” Yeah. Ok. Then why did half the country complain about Jessica Sanchez being too boring when everybody knew her voice was beyond comparison to any idol winner? Contradictions irritate me.

Rhiley09

Posted at 8:37 PM on March 5, 2013

She is horrible! I don’t care about her struggle or how “entertaining” she is… Or isn’t. She is not a good singer and doesn’t belong on the show. It’s a singing competition people not a pity party. Send her on her way!

kay sparks

Posted at 1:24 AM on March 5, 2013

Why because she is not what u typical look at for your standard of beautiful all the ones u named u thought they were your version of beauty in our society we judge people on the outside how about covering your eyes and judge by what u don’t see I hate society u always want us to fit into your picket fence she’s real she does her own thing she makes the show interesting and she has talent now how about that judge yourself

NATHAN

Posted at 7:22 PM on March 4, 2013

ZONNETTE IS THE BEST PERFORMER EVER SO WHO EVER MADE THIS BLOG GO PLAY WITH YOUR SELF ZONETTE IS THE MOST LOVING ENTERTAINING AND MOST EJOYABLE PERSON WHOSE EVER BEEN ON AMERICAN IDOL SHE MAKE IDOL WHAT IT IS I PRAY AND HOPE THE BEST FOR HER!

Ricky Alexander

Posted at 5:23 PM on March 6, 2013

You must be her mother!

ELVIS PRESLEY

Posted at 7:54 PM on March 21, 2013

YOU ARE A NUT CASE, OR YOU ARE BLIND AND DEAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tlbook

Posted at 12:53 PM on March 2, 2013

Seriously?? There were so many ballads that night that is was almost boring. Zoanette is ENTERTAINING; plain and simple. I also think Charlie Askew is entertaining. Those two contestants will keep me watching Idol this season.

WarriorJudge

Posted at 2:22 PM on March 1, 2013

While her version of Circle of Life wasn’t bad, it wasn’t great either. But I think she is older than the 20yrs old that she is claiming to be.

Scooter J

Posted at 1:07 PM on March 1, 2013

For those of you saying this is a singing competition, you are grossly mistaken. The Idol machine is all about making money. Regardless of singing ability, they need someone with a personality, someone with a story, and a “wild card” to keep interest up. I am not saying that she should win, but she most certainly would add some terriffic fun and show-womanship on the Idol tour.

I love her spirit, she is the first contestant in many seasons that seems to truly enjoying herself. The response that she gets from all the other contestants shows that she is making many friends and connections.

Zoanette will get my vote every week as long as she is in the competition!!

Dan Eckes

Posted at 5:11 PM on March 4, 2013

someone with a personality????? Do you mean like Niki Minaj…she’s so ‘into herself’ that her personality shouts out, Look at me ‘only me’, I’m the star of the judges, the Show, and the entertainment business…This is just my ‘side job’…I’m a STAR!!! Just look at my hair…I can’t keep my hands off of it!!! I’m obsessed with MEEEEE!!!!
Personality???? I don’t think so….

Asian

Posted at 11:17 AM on March 1, 2013

I only remember Zoanette and Angela…..

miniZee

Posted at 8:47 AM on March 1, 2013

Zoanette is thru to next stage, yall should deal with it!!!!

Kay

Posted at 6:28 AM on March 1, 2013

Wow. I must be strange minded because I thought Zoanette straight up EARNED her spot in the top 20. Juliana did wonderful but she’s not ready. Esp only being 15. Give her another 2 years and she’ll blow the competition out of the water. Zoanette is as ready as she’s ever gonna be (along with Angela, Aubrey and Candice). I hear comparisons to Jennifer Hudson’s rendition but shouldn’t the sudden death round be original performances? Zoanette stayed true to herself AND stomped the rest. At the end of the day, she was the only memorable performer.

slimtee

Posted at 1:58 AM on March 1, 2013

Well, I felt the same way in the beginning, but if you think about it, don’t we have enough cookie cutter Taylor Swifts and Rihannas out there? Most of these girls sound and look alike. They are not unique in my opinion. Last season, not one black girl made it to the top 20, which was an insult and a slap in the face to African American viewers. Zoanette does not conform to what Americans think a pop star should be, but they call people pop stars who can barely hit a note or do a simple dance move…one of them is ironically a judge this season…go figure…Ms. Minaj!

Jim

Posted at 12:42 AM on March 1, 2013

Zoanette may be a big girl but she really displaced only one person, not three. Juliana was real good, but she’s just not ready. Besides, the world doesn’t need or want another Taylor Swift. Melinda made a mistake singing TWO Jessie J songs (she sang one 2 weeks ago, the last time she performed before Wed. night). It made them question her flexibility, but her vocals are kind of weak anyway. Talented, but she wasn’t ready. Zoanette did not have great vocals, but she did good and she’s very creative, unafraid to take big risks, and has a big personality. And she’s very endearing, despite all her craziness. So I have to disagree with you – they did right by keeping her. Will she last? Probably. Will she win? Probably not.

Didi

Posted at 9:47 PM on February 28, 2013

Yeah its not fair to others … Love rachel and juliana … If you wanted help zoanette to find her family … Just add another special stool for her, dont cut others …. Zoanette still can perform for her last vote next sing … When we all got to vote … Kaching !!

Alow

Posted at 9:17 PM on February 28, 2013

I agree totally zoanette should not have made it past first round auditions unless to be this years joke. She can’t sing and honestly she scares me I’m a 208 pound construction worker and she could probably beat me up or just yell at me enough with that voice to make me deaf

Sam

Posted at 9:08 PM on February 28, 2013

She should not be in top 100.

RR

Posted at 9:02 PM on February 28, 2013

that pronounced “ZOOnet. as in see the monkey at the Zoo.

Julie

Posted at 4:06 AM on March 1, 2013

U racist prick…

Hashtag

Posted at 3:45 AM on June 11, 2013

What the heck it’s wrong with you’ll? Nobody can take the stage and blow away all judges
like she did. Please, just give her a break and stop hating!!!!!

Stefi Supersonic (@StefiSupersonic)

Posted at 6:49 PM on February 28, 2013

The other girls deserve it, and yet Zoanette is the one you’re talking about and Zoanette’s video is the one you’re showing. The problem lies here. American Idol IS a singing competition but people will WANT to hear from Zoanette, whether they love her or not.

For the record, I thought Juliana’s perform was absolutely ACE.

Bill

Posted at 6:12 PM on February 28, 2013

Sorry, I’m gonna sound like a hater, but Zoanette is a horrible singer. She’s not even remotely close to being on-pitch, and please – American Idol is supposed to be a singing competition, not a “see how crazy I am” competition. I agree with Chris, her performance of “Circle of Life” was comical when compared with the same song from season three by Jennifer Hudson. She completely blew her audition where her sad rendition of the “National Anthem” was alternately flat and sharp. Terribl and painful to watch. Nicki Minaj continues to prove that she has no business whatsoever judging a singing competition.

Maurice

Posted at 5:22 PM on February 28, 2013

Zoanette is awesome.. Glad she made the top 20 .. U said Juliana sounded like t. Swift well that the prob.. We already have a Taylor swift . Somebody with out a guitar sound when this year

Chris

Posted at 2:06 PM on February 28, 2013

I agree with everything you said..just like to add that I don’t think Nikki should be there JUDGING, either.

PGM

Posted at 10:34 PM on February 28, 2013

Zoanette didn’t belong in Vegas, much less in Hollywood. Her audition was dreadful! She forgot the words to the national anthem, was off-key many times, and sounded like a parody of an animal dying for her big finish. Vote her off ASAP! Vote For The Worst thinks they have their best chance of winning yet. Zoanette has 92% approval for VFTW. She’s not marketable because she screams off key.

ELVIS PRESLEY

Posted at 7:57 PM on March 21, 2013

DID YOU SAY DYING FOR HER BIG FINISH, OR FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I THINK FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL

ELVIS PRESLEY