A Pennsylvania 2-year-old boy tragically shot himself on Feb. 21 after finding a gun inside his mom’s purse, and is in the hospital fighting for his life. He remains in critical condition — read on for more of the tragic details.
Owen Harris, 2, found a gun in his mother’s bag late at night and accidentally shot himself in the head. Owen was rushed to the hospital after this horrifying incident, and remains in critical, but stable, condition.
The gun that Owen found allegedly belongs to his stepfather, but no charges are being made because Pennsylvania does not currently have any laws requiring guns to be locked up. This will only add fuel to the fight on gun control that is sweeping the country since the Sandy Hook massacre.
Owen Harris In Critical Condition At UPMC Children’s Hospital
Family and friends of Owen’s have been visiting him at UPMC Children’s Hospital, where he is currently recovering, and praying for him since they found out what happened. Phillip Gill, Owen’s great-grandfather, has been trying to get information from doctors about the toddler’s current condition, but they haven’t said much.
“They just told us they are trying to get the swelling down and they can’t really tell us anything because it’s on and off,” Philip said. “I was shocked and rushed down here to see what happened. Just what they’re telling us [is] bits and pieces.”
Pennsylvania Authorities Warn About Gun Safety After Tragedy
Police officials have no clue if Owen even knew what the gun was when he grabbed it from the purse, but one trooper spoke about how to prevent things like this from ever happening.
“Number one would be to unload the weapon and to keep it unloaded in the house at all times,” Trooper Stefani Plume said.
Our thoughts go out to Owen’s family during this sad time and we are hoping for his full recovery.
What are your thoughts, HollyMoms?
– Rachael Ellenbogen
More tragic HollyBaby News:
- Woman Allegedly Killed Baby Girl, 2, By Feeding Her Chili Powder
- Newborn Baby Mauled To Death By Family Pit Bull
- Baby Dies, Toddler Hospitalized After Being Left In Hot Cars