‘Downton Abbey’ EP Defends Season Finale Death: Why He ‘Had To Die’

Mon, February 18, 2013 11:00am EDT by 36 Comments
Downton Abbey Matthew Death
Courtesy of PBS

How Does Paleo Diet Work

Posted at 1:21 PM on August 5, 2014

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new
scheme in our community. Your website offered us with valuable information to work on.
You’ve done an impressive job and our entire community will be grateful to you.

Micha

Posted at 5:46 PM on April 1, 2014

Mattew was great actor in the show.I miss him.I miss him with Mary.

Lexi

Posted at 6:18 PM on November 11, 2013

The series seems to be going down hill fast. All the loveable characters like Matthew & Sybil get killed off and there is just way too much tragedy for everyone. Why can’t the writers allow anyone in the story to have more than just a few moments of happiness in their lives. It just gets way too depressing!

michelle

Posted at 7:56 PM on June 16, 2013

The problem I see is that there were too many deaths in a short period of time. Or at least that’s how it felt to me. And the happiness between Matthew and Mary was short lived. There was a lot of commotion with Matthew and Mary’s dad to make Downton Abbey self-sufficient and now who is going to make everything work? I am intrigued. I loved Matthew. He was my hero. And the fact that he went through everything and was miraculously saved… for nothing, is kind of pathetic in my mind. I will watch season 4 though. I hope Edith gets some light. Her character is so sad. Hope there are good news for her.

SarahSmilesCA

Posted at 8:40 PM on June 9, 2013

Why wasn’t recasting an option? It’s the character everyone loves, not the actor. Neame thinks Mary is the spine of the show but he is dreaming. Mary is not the least be likable without Matthew to ground her. Matthew makes her character dynamic. They should have just cast a new actor to play Matthew rather than kill him off. Many great British actors could have pulled this character off with even more depth. Steven’s isn’t that great of an actor.It was really stupid to kill Matthew, I don’t even want to watch the 4th season now. I have a great affection for most of the characters, but I adored Matthew, Mr Bates and Anna are the only two loved more. This was a really stupid move by the writers and producers.

Audrey

Posted at 12:09 PM on June 25, 2013

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t give a hoot about Mary or Cora. I hope the story line of
Edith has some sunshine ahead. I am very interested in the story line of Daisy and her father-in-law’s offer, but I don’t trust the BBC not to take viewers down rabbit trails, and I don’t trust Julian Fellowes after the idiotic ending of Monarch of the Glen…not a cell call, text, email, telegram, NOTHING from Archie and Lexie. I watch at arm’s length and I always read spoilers ahead.