‘Vampire Diaries’ Recap: A Surprise Return Proves Deadly For [Spoiler]

Thu, February 14, 2013 11:59pm EDT by 107 Comments
Vampire Diaries Jeremy Dies
Courtesy of The CW

IHeartLux

Posted at 9:28 AM on February 15, 2013

I think they should give the cure to one of the Originals, with the chance that it will work on all in their bloodline. If Katherine happens to be apart of Klaus’s bloodline, then Stefan, Damon, and Elena would all get the cure.

Borie

Posted at 8:54 AM on February 15, 2013

It was the perfect time to bring the bitch back! I`m pretty sure she stole the cure, so she can use it on Klaus. Looking forward to the next episode! I hope they find a way to save Jer.

Marnee

Posted at 7:07 AM on February 15, 2013

I still am in denial over Jeremy’s ‘apparent’ death. I truly believe that he isn’t truly gone and if he really is, then shame on the writers. Jeremy wasn’t just one of my favourite characters but rather a huge role. Yeah, he’s had his moments where you’d think, ‘Why exactly is he here again?’ but to use him as an important role this season and just cut him off just as his character had become so interesting would be a completely stupid move. As for Katherine, it’s good to see her back… but unless she is going to play an important role for the rest of the season, I don’t even understand the point.

I can’t really make a judgment of the episode until I see the next few because, yes… it’s a great episode but at the same time it might just be the episode that makes me reconsider where exactly this show is going…

Keira

Posted at 5:57 AM on February 15, 2013

I understand that Delena fans are disappointed but the truth is, this is the reality of their relationship. I’ve always had faith in the writers because they know their characters more than we do, how can they not…they moulded them. The hype surrounding Delena was so big but I always suspected that they wouldn’t work for the long haul…it was just too difficult. Elena needs him to be different and while I’m sure he would have completely changed himself and what he wanted for her, I think it’s already evident that he’s tired. His happiness was short lived and I know they may love each other and even try again later on but ultimately the writers know who Elena is more compatible with.

X

Posted at 2:15 PM on February 15, 2013

I just don’t believe that Delena wouldn’t work. It doesn’t make sense. Yes Stefan is a good listener and he loves talking about feelings, but that doesn’t mean he makes a better boyfriend. Delena haven’t even had the chance to have a relationship, there are too many obstacles. 1-Sire bond, 2- Stefan, 3-every single character going against them, 4-Damon’s insecurity, 5-Elena wanting to be human, 6-constant physical separation….I could go on. What gives them potential as the ultimate couple is their willingness to accept each others flaws, they trust each other, they have passion, they feel consumed by each other, they fight desperately for the people they love, and they laugh together and no matter what they strengthen one another and don’t let the other get away with any bullshit. Its such a wonderful dynamic, and i really really miss how they used to be. I think the writers made a huge mistake with the sire bond and they seem to be stuck in a repetitive mode where they recycle the characters old behaviours and arcs. I don’t believe they know their characters. I think its Julie Plec trying to placate the fandoms but doing a terrible job of it. There are many missed opportunities to have Elena and Damon bond. And next week we find out that Elena leaves and Damon stays on the island. MORE separation, big surprise. This is a chance for Damon to step up and be there for Elena, and maybe, just maybe, use the sire bond as a positive thing and tell her to stay calm and tell her not to turn off her humanity. But God forbid the writers would keep Damon and Elena in the same room or scene for more than 3 mins.

sabrina

Posted at 5:13 AM on February 15, 2013

This is my worst episode ever!!!I can’t believe all everyone cares about it delena’s sinking relationship and stefan blood drinking…my god!!!jeremy just freaking died!!!!am I the only one who was watching!!!!ok so he’s died a few times but I’ve got a bad feeling about this time around!!!right now all I want this that bitch katherine to die!!!why the hell did she take the cure..???!!!the only thing that would make me happy is to see katherine tortured to death…can’t believe I still have tears in my eyes..oooh…poor jer!!!!!!*sobs*

X

Posted at 8:59 PM on February 15, 2013

Its sad that Jer died, but to be honest, I’ve seen him die so many times now I just don’t feel shocked anymore. I liked him, and I hope he comes back! Loosing him and Tyler would suck, seriously. But to answer your question, why do we care about Delena’s sinking relationship? Because, personally, that’s my favourite part of the show and its sucks to see it treated this way. I hope you feel better about Jeremy. Hugs.

mvk

Posted at 2:38 AM on February 15, 2013

Hey x, at 12:56 you really said it all. I totally agree with you. I am really disappointed with Julie Plec too. I always knew she adored Stefan, but it’s time to give Damon his chance and she is not going to let that happen. It has gotten to a point now that I stop watching the show while it is airing and tape it so I can fast forward to some of the bull. It is getting boring again. Klaus makes the show exciting and he is leaving for his own show.

X

Posted at 1:06 AM on February 15, 2013

Here’s where the logic in this episode fails. 1-Silas is desiccated so why bother killing him? 2-Why are there 5 hunters when apparently only one is needed for the spell? 3-Why didn’t Damon recover from his wounds? 4-When did Stefan learn to drink from a blood bag, thought he was a “vegetarian”? 5-Why didn’t Elena recover from her wounds? 6-Why didn’t Katherine feed the unconscious hunter to Silas rather than Jeremy? 7-Why is Damon giving Elena up?????? 8-Why didn’t Caroline run away with Tyler? None of this episode made sense. I don’t even get why the hunter kidnapped Damon in the first place. If he had been spying on them for so long he would know that no one ever saves Damon. Ugh. This episode was so annoying. Its fallen into a pattern of dull, dull , dull, last five minutes exciting.

Shane

Posted at 1:33 AM on February 15, 2013

1} I guess to make it final
2}In case one dies you dont need to wait for another one to awaken to get on with the hunt
3} He was bleed near dry when that happens you need human to recover least it takes a while
4} Since last season he came to terms and learned to feed every now and then instead of going all crazy rampage anytime he happens to feed
5} They were some pretty serious wonds and I’m guessing she also had her neck snapped as even with vampires sometimes it takes a while to heal especially when you get your neck snapped
6} I guess she was just being cruel {plus dramatic effect for the audience and something to look forward to come next episode}
7} I guess he’s just tired of fighting
8} Because I supposed she thought by staying she could help delay Klaus by means of distraction
9} I guess he kidnapped him because he was the only one alone
Eh I still find the show interesting and will keep watching till it ends

X

Posted at 1:55 AM on February 15, 2013

Thanks for your answers Shane! I still don’t think that Stefan can handle his blood, because if he could then he would have helped Elena in her change. But I’ll let that go because the fact that Damon would give up just blew my mind! I thought at first that Prof Shadypants may have hypnotized him to say what he said to Elena last ep, but then to see Damon just give up was too much to watch. It goes against his character. Damon has always chosen Elena, in every single situation, he’d do anything for her, so why he would give her up now is just insane. I guess what everyone has been saying to him has really effected him, its just disappointing. I want him to fight for love, not roll over and bail.

Catherine

Posted at 7:02 AM on February 15, 2013

1. Perhaps killing Silas could end up killing all the vampires in the world. That’s what hunters are created for.
2. If one of them dies unfortunately, others can keep up with the hunter’s mission to kill vampires. (a subtle coincidence with the Originals, also 5 siblings)
3. Damon was injured and tortured so badly by the hunter that he needed more time to recover. (the hunter actually got some powerful weapons, see how he knocked out Rebekah within seconds)
4. We could assume that it was animal blood in the blood bag. He prepared them for the journey perhaps?
5. Maybe Katerina hurt her badly so she needed a moment to recover (remember when Caroline was snapped by Rebekah and it took her a while to revive after April came in)
6. I was thinking perhaps she did not know that Jeremy is a hunter and used him as a normal human to feed Silas. Katerina was afraid that using the hunter might cause her trouble? Because she’s supposed to know nothing about the “hunter’s curse” before Jeremy shouted out.
7. Quoting Elena: “Every time you think you don’t deserve it, you just ruin it.”
8. Caroline should stay in Mystic Falls at that particular moment to offer assistance once these island gang needed. And she could keep an eye on Klaus for Tylor’s safety.
9. Grabbing Damon may be because the hunter wanted a hostage when the Mystic Fall gang stood up to fight against him. Since Damon is the one who does not want the cure at all and it would be safe for the hunter in the sense that Damon would not tussle with him for the cure. (but Damon would do it for Elena. I’ll say, yes, I agree with you; this makes no sense)

I’m not justifying every illogical mistake but it would be fun to recap the plots before.
And I must say that some of my answers are also nonsense.

And here comes my question: Why can’t the originals be killed if their hearts were ripped out. If they can dodge in incredible speed, why can’t someone do this when they were weakened, say, by vervain (Rebekah was once weakened by this on her party); or by dagger (when they were in the coffins)?

Aileen Miah Collins

Posted at 3:41 PM on February 15, 2013

rebekah was not weakend by vervain she and all the other vamps were weakend by tylers venom were wolf venom can kill a vampire and weaken an original vampire

Cam

Posted at 9:07 PM on February 15, 2013

Question. Why are hunters made to kill vampires if their job is to kill Silas? That means that Silas is a vampire and he spawned other vampires, which would mean that the originals are not the only blood lines that exist. So some vampires wouldn’t die if the originals were killed but only if Silas was. Still, the guy is mummified in a tomb, why even bother creating hunters? Why wouldn’t the witches just feed him blood and force the cure down his throat then kill him? Hunters seem pretty unnecessary to me.

Cam

Posted at 9:08 PM on February 15, 2013

I never understood why ripping out their hearts or decapitating them wouldn’t work!

lc

Posted at 9:48 AM on February 15, 2013

I agree with you, this episode was my least favorite ever…..Damon giving up elena?? Klaus going to kill Tyler again?? Show is getting too repetitive and boring, I am just about ready to stop watching….the only good thing was Kath
erine making an appearance…

Aileen Miah Collins

Posted at 10:54 AM on February 15, 2013

if you’ve watched from season 1 you’ll know stefan hasn’t always been a vegitarian stefan is known as the ripper he knows how to drink from a blood bag he was the first to turn out of the brothers

Cam

Posted at 9:02 PM on February 15, 2013

Stefan was never able to drink from a blood bag in season 1, and only when he was hiding his blood addiction did he drink human blood. Since he came back from being a ripper he went cold turkey. That’s when Damon tried to teach him self control. I just don’t remember seeing him make the decision to drink human blood, because if he was, then why would he teach Elena to hunt animals and not drink from bags?

X

Posted at 12:56 AM on February 15, 2013

The only reason I watch this show was for Damon and this episode turned him into a useless wimp that gives up the girl he loves. WTF?!?!?! I’m sorry but did anyone else feel like Damon was completely out of character this episode? He spent YEARS trying to win Elena over and now that he FINALLY gets to be with her he just throws it away??!! I mean come on! Ever since Damon and Elena slept together the writers have done everything to keep them apart and change their relationship and essentially killed Delena. I feel like its over. Elena didn’t even care that Damon was kidnapped and tortured. She left Damon. I would NEVER leave my boyfriend behind bleeding and in pain no matter what. And then she calls out for Stefan and has a heart to heart with him on the beach? You know, I always knew that Julie Plec loved Stelena, I just never thought she’d stoop so low as to not even give Damon and Elena a real relationship. I expected a lot more from this episode. Disappointed in every way possible.

lc

Posted at 9:57 AM on February 15, 2013

I agree with you, very disapppointed, this was my least favorite episode ever, Katherine appearing was the only thing I liked….the whole cure thing is very old already and Klaus wanting to kill Tyler and Tyler leaving town again is very old….I may not watch any more…

❤TVD❤

Posted at 3:10 PM on February 15, 2013

He didn’t just give up on Elena. I think he was completely in character. He loves her and will always do whatever it takes to make her happy. In his own words to Elena he said “I can’t be selfish with you” and that is what he continues to prove. He loves her and if she wants the cure then he will make sure she gets it because he wants her to be happy. No he wasn’t ripping heads off to accomplish that but he was still in character. He is allowed to be sad because he thinks if she gets the cure it is the end for them but as Elena said to Stefan even is she becomes human again she isn’t the same person so how about all the Delena shippers relax a bit and see what happens before freaking out and assuming that Stefan and Elena will be back together so fast. You would think you would just enjoy the fact that Delena are together now.

Janelle

Posted at 12:51 AM on February 15, 2013

Jeremy had it coming after he killed Kol…Looks like Kol was right about Silas all along…Now if they could just kill off Caroline I’m tired of watching her use Klaus. Hopefully Klaus will get some revenge for Kol’s death.

Aileen Miah Collins

Posted at 10:56 AM on February 15, 2013

really klaus to get revenge for kols death? considering he killed tylers mom he killed aunt jenna and a few others you really think he needs revenge? i think kalus had it coming he has been nothing but trouble!

Kayla

Posted at 12:51 AM on February 15, 2013

I admire katherine for her grand entrance but hate her because she’s come back for the cure, and killed jeremy. I really really seriously hope that jeremy isn’t dead because that would devestate everyone. I think that they all need to ram it down klaus’ throat because his evil doings are becoming a bit much. And stefan needs to leave elena alone because Team Delena all the way!

Posted at 1:25 PM on February 15, 2013

I just liked that Katherine had straight hair. Always nice to try out a new look! ;)

Dary

Posted at 12:19 AM on February 15, 2013

I’m not surprised at all half way through I knew it was Katherine; he is a woman who knows how to cozy up to the most powerful and strike a deal. This will definitely be used as leverage-the potion. Silas on the other hand, I’m not sure what he is. Is he a vampire or a wizard?? Apparently the first Bennett can’t kill him so I guess he wasn’t bound to the tree like Esther did with her children. So wats his weakness other than the potion?

TehD

Posted at 12:04 AM on February 15, 2013

That was a weird experience for me. I literally went, “YAAAAAAAY, KATHERINE’S BA–W. T. F. Seriously?!”

Posted at 1:26 PM on February 15, 2013

Right? She really is such a badass, and I’m thrilled she’s back.

Lolly

Posted at 11:51 PM on February 14, 2013

Oops to finish my first comment I think she will wake up nd she will be in hospital after the first car crash nd it will all have been a dream nd we will never find out who she would hav picked . ( sorry that I forgot 2 finish d first comment but I’m nearly asleep nd wen I put in d full stop I just forgot ) lol;)

Lolly

Posted at 11:48 PM on February 14, 2013

I also think that Katherine has been impersonating elena for a few episodes nd elena is kidnapped or sumtin

Lolly

Posted at 11:47 PM on February 14, 2013

I know this is a completely different subject but I think that on d last episode of TVD ever , elena will just be about to choose between tha salvatore bros.

❤ TVD ❤

Posted at 11:16 PM on February 14, 2013

Doesn’t Jeremy have a ring that protects him from being killed by anything supernatural? Or is it now useless because he is a hunter? I love that Katherine is back but how does she know what going on, where the cure was, etc? She has been supposedly running as far away from mystic falls as possible so klaus wouldn’t kill her so how does she still know all that is going on? It’s a little bit too coincidental for me. I also am kind of upset that Klaus will be leaving to go to the originals because I love him with Caroline! They have such an amazing chemistry on screen that just makes me want them together! I like Tyler but Caroline has outgrown him. Hopefully Jeremy isn’t dead because I love him, he is the one thing that grounds the show so that in the midst of all of the unbelievable supernatural stuff he is very normal and real and it balances it out (at least until he became a supernatural hunter!) and we all know Silas is the new bad in town to replace the originals when they leave so we can all expect that no one will actually use the cure because it will be needed eventually to kill Silas to make room for the next big evil so we have at least one full season of Silas ahead of us! Hopefully he is as yummy to look at as klaus is!

Posted at 11:48 PM on February 14, 2013

Jeremy does have a ring, but I’m not sure if he’s wearing it. Plus, as someone pointed out on Twitter, he might be considered a supernatural being now that he’s a hunter — just like how Elena was considered supernatural as a doppelganger. In that case, it wouldn’t work.

I’m curious about Silas, too. I think you’re right that he’ll be sticking around to replace the Originals. And yes, he’d better be damn good to look at! ;)

X

Posted at 12:49 AM on February 15, 2013

I figured that Jeremy was considered a supernatural being now, but technically he should have been a supernatural being from birth since he had the hunter gene and the ring should never have worked on him. Another of the many TVD plot holes.

Kell

Posted at 7:35 AM on February 15, 2013

Jeremy was wearing the ring ! he should not die, you can clearing see that he is wearing the ring in several shots.

lisa

Posted at 10:51 PM on February 14, 2013

For kristen stewart at 2013 kids choice awards

Posted at 11:29 PM on February 14, 2013

I believe you took a wrong turn somewhere near Crazy Boulevard.

abe is doing it!!

Posted at 10:44 PM on February 14, 2013

kids just wanna be entertained……………………

Posted at 11:29 PM on February 14, 2013

Ain’t nothing wrong with that.

Ally

Posted at 10:33 PM on February 14, 2013

Omg not Jeremy! I don’t want him to be gone.

Posted at 11:30 PM on February 14, 2013

No one does! That’s why we all need to stage candlelight vigils every night for a week!

Scarlett

Posted at 10:13 PM on February 14, 2013

I think the only one taking the cure is the one it was made for – Silas. Seeing as how he’s the baddest badass this world will ever see apparently. They need to put him down somehow.

Sameer-

Posted at 10:12 PM on February 14, 2013

I think, it should be Rebekkah. Coz, she’s d most in need of d cure among d grp. She cn ‘ve a normal lyf aftr dis. & yeah, Jeremy cnt b dead. No way, it’ll only mean destruction of d Gilbert family line: 1 by 1. & Shane said it himself (maybe lied, bt i hope it’s true) dat d 5 hunters wr creat’d 2 kill Sylis-so, I dnt thnk pretty little Vaughn cn do it. Kat’s bck & dis is d high point of d Season. Wt if it’s all her plan? Her plan 2 destroy every1 ? She cud ‘ve used Alaric.

Posted at 11:31 PM on February 14, 2013

I would say Rebekah too… but now that she’s going to be on the spin-off, I think she needs to stay a vampire.

I’d bet $1 million that they either use it to kill Silas, or Elena gets it.

Anna

Posted at 10:10 PM on February 14, 2013

Well Kat’s return was hinted two ep ago when Jeremy brought her up by saying that they might have to look up Katherine Pierce in order to escape Klaus’s wrath (after Kol’s death). So I wasn’t surprised to see her opportunistic lil’ skanky ass. She should be called Katerina Petrova the tomb raider (her being entombed, then finding Mikael, now Silas). Anyway, I cannot believe they killed off lil’ Gilbert. I couldn’t care less for him in the first 2 seasons but he’s grown on me, just like Tyler. TVD won’t be the same again for me without these 2 characters. Jeremy’s death seems so cruel and pointless to me… just like Jenna’s, although her character served no purpose at all.

Posted at 11:49 PM on February 14, 2013

LOL @ “tomb raider”

Honestly, when I first heard there was going to be a death, I was hoping it’s be Tyler. I love Michael Trevino, but I feel like his character kind of moved past its point of importance — besides the Klaus/Caroline triangle.

olivia

Posted at 9:55 PM on February 14, 2013

WAS THE EPISODE THAT BAD?

Posted at 9:58 PM on February 14, 2013

No! It was that GOOD! The ending, at least.

TVDFAN

Posted at 9:41 PM on February 14, 2013

Jeremy better not be dead. Not Alaric and Jeremy within the same year of each other. It makes no sense

Posted at 9:54 PM on February 14, 2013

Jeremy’s death would be tragic, but it’s not like they haven’t pulled the rug out from under us before.

(It’s also not like Jeremy hasn’t died before. There’s always hope!)

Monica Anders

Posted at 9:29 PM on February 14, 2013

Severely dislike the use of Katherine here. I want her back, but this was cheap. And I’ll be really upset if Jeremy is actually dead. The convoluted cure crap was just confusing and a bit mess. Just overall didn’t enjoy the episode at all.

Posted at 9:34 PM on February 14, 2013

I won’t disagree that the cure part was a little convoluted. (No one seemed to know what the heck was going on.)

But the last 5 minutes more than made up for any of that, in my opinion. It felt like a classic TVD twist, one we haven’t gotten in a LONG time.

olivia

Posted at 9:56 PM on February 14, 2013

WAS THE EPISODE REALLY THAT BAD?

Scarlett

Posted at 10:14 PM on February 14, 2013

How was it cheap the way they used Katherine? That’s who she is. She kills people to get what she wants. It was entirely in character.

Posted at 11:31 PM on February 14, 2013

Exactly! She’s a master of trickery!