Sandy Hook Massacre-Related Movie Wants To Film Near Newtown

Tue, February 5, 2013 3:31pm EDT by 10 Comments
Sandy Hook Shooting Movie
Getty

An independent filmmaker is doing the unthinkable — not only is he trying to capitalize on the horrible events at Sandy Hook Elementary School by making a movie related to it, he is also trying to shoot it in Ridgefield, Conn., only 20 miles away from Newtown! Read on for more shocking details.

Little-known indie film director/writer Jonathan Bucari has apparently never learned the word “tact.” Less than two months after 20 children and six teachers were murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary School, he is looking to make a movie in Connecticut that uses the Sandy Hook shooting as a plot device.

‘Illness': A Sandy Hook-Related Film

The film, titled Illness, plans to depict a 13 year-old boy suffering from mental illness and his parents, who start to worry about their son in the wake of the Newtown massacre.

On Feb. 3, Bucari told News 12 Connecticut about his plans to scout for filming locations in Ridgefield, Conn. He told reporters that he chose Ridgefield because it had the same feel as Newtown.

The French-born director and his producing partner, Carina Rush, have set up an Indiegogo.com page in order to start a fund-raising campaign for the film’s production. The filmmakers are looking to raise $3,000.

The Backlash Comes In Full Force

Illness and the people making it instantly received backlash once news of their filmmaking plans went public. The superintendent of Ridgefield schools called Jonathan’s project “insensitive,” while Ridgefield First Selectman Rudy Marconi took an even stronger stance. “I will do everything in my power to stop this,” he told The Danbury News-Times, “Mr. Bucari is going to have to find another location.”

Meanwhile, Twitter went into a frenzy in defense of Newtown. “From what the Newtown residents tell me (my friends) they don’t want him either. Opportunist slime,” @GuerillaGirl tweeted. @calicab, a Ridgefield resident tweeted, “Keep out of Ridgefield and give up on a movie about the Newtown tragedy. Way to soon, way out of line, and not welcome in our town.”

In the face of the criticism, Jonathan took to the film’s Facebook page on Feb. 4 — which was later taken down — releasing the statement, “Dear friends, after yesterday’s report about the film, I would like to clarify one very important point. We are not doing a movie about what happened in Newtown and will never do so. We are doing a non-profit film about mental illness. Our objective is to help families with kids struggling with mental illness. I thank you again for all your support.”

Either way, we’re thinking that all filmmakers should stay away from Newtown and the horrible tragedies that happened at Sandy Hook for a very, very long time.

But what do you think, HollyMoms? Are Jonathan Bucari and Carina Rush out of line? Let us know.

– Andrew Gruttadaro

More Sandy Hook News:

1. Jennifer Hudson & Sandy Hook Choir Sing ‘America The Beautiful’
  2. Gabby Giffords’ Plea: ‘Too Many Children Are Dying’ From Guns
  3. Policeman To Dying Child At Sandy Hook: ‘Your Parents Love You’

Pete

Posted at 11:21 AM on February 28, 2013

I think he should write a movie about Sandy Hook the Government Hoax
That would be much more interesting and very much closer to the truth.

Paul

Posted at 8:11 PM on February 10, 2013

THE SANDY HOOK SHOOTING WAS THE MOTHERS FAULT FOR NOT LOCKING UP HER GUNS FROM HER MENTALLY ILL SON. SHE KNEW HE WAS NOT TO BE TRUSTED AND BROKE THE LAW BY NOT LOCKING UP HER GUNS FROM AN UNDER AGE PERSON. IN CA. IT’S A FELONY IF A CHILD GETS ACCESS TO AN UNLOCKED FIREARM. THE ANTI GUN LOBBY IS HIDING THIS FACT FROM THE PUBLIC SO THEY CAN USE IT TO PUSH THERE GUN CONTROL ON US. INFRINGING ON OUR RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS! FUNNY HOW THE MEDIA NEVER WENT INTO WHY, OR WHAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THIS , NOT TALKING ABOUT THE MOTHERS IRESPONSIBLE ACT OF LEAVING UNLOCKED GUNS KNOWING HER SON WAS CRAZY. THEY SHOWED THE GRIEF AND THE SERVICES. THEY JUST JUMPED ON THE BAND WAGON FOR GUN CONTROL. OBAMA IS SUCH A LIER! MATBE OUR SPOOKS IN THE GOVERMENT GOT TO LANZA AND PROGRAMED HIM TO DO THIS SO THEY CAN START THE ROAD TO BANNING ALL GUNS IN THIS COUNTRY AND ABOLISH THE 2ND. AMENDEMENT. I LIVE IN CA. NOW i COULD BECOME A FELON.

Craig Sears

Posted at 4:44 PM on February 8, 2013

My Name is Craig Sears I am a survivor of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) this event changed each and every single aspect of my life, being someone that lives with a brain injury my journey made me all-too familiar with the difficulties of individuals and families working through the arbitrary system of care. For years, I felt as though no one else knew what I was going through, but believe me Traumatic Brain Injury survivors almost ALWAYS experience the same things.

After suffering my injury in 1987, in the years that followed there was little knowledge on TBI in the medical field and even less in the public. As a result, my physical injuries were confused with intoxication or drug abuse and my brain injury misdiagnosed as mental illness. I was falsely arrested and institutionalized time and time again. My life turned into a constant tug of war. If it was not a mental institution it was a jail cell. Today more awareness has occurred, but there is still much to learn.

There have been many studies shown that brain injuries are NOT a mental illness. Well, then why do the states still continue to put it under that category? My thoughts would be because it’s an easy way out of not taking care of this bigger issue. TBI is separate and distinct from developmental and mental health diagnoses. Individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental health issues may suffer a TBI. However, not all individuals with TBI have developmental or mental health issues. Finally, challenges and interventions implemented with survivors of TBI may be very different from those implemented with individuals with developmental disabilities, mental-health diagnoses and a dual-diagnosis of TBI and developmental disabilities and/or mental health issues.

You may ask; was the shooter identified as having a brain injury? No, the bigger picture is we are allowing the United States to walk all over the brain injury survivors and allowing them to say that the shooting that accord at Sandy Hook Elementary has to do with brain injury. You might also say there is not enough information about the shooter to make any diagnosis, and you might be right but at the end of the day they are still not the same! All of the talk of Asperger’s Syndrome is misdirection… Asperger’s Syndrome is not known to create violence (i.e., our prisons are not filled with kids with autism but they are filled with kids with brain injury). Everyone needs to wake up and realize the bigger picture. Or is this just another way for the United States/Connecticut to take advantage of us, “the brain injury survivors?”

It hasn’t even been a whole two months and they are already trying to put together a movie on mental illnesses with the mention of the Sandy Hook tragedy. People, can we let the families be at peace? Of course not, why would they? All they are worried about is making money and not worrying about what they are doing or putting the families through, look at the bigger picture.

We hear how brain injury and mental health are “alike”, well they are not and everyone needs to understand this. By putting these into the same category is not making things any better. I know many people who have either a mental illness or a traumatic brain injury and they are both two different topics. Again my point is on the bigger picture which is dealing with brain injury. The United States was handed a National Pediatric Acquired Brain Injury Plan on a silver platter that would help in situations such as this. (I.e. a traumatic brain injury is not a mental illness it is an injury, injuries require care, care we all need, care this plan can provide). The National PABI Plan Act of 2011 is bipartisan legislation that seeks to develop a seamless, standardized, evidence-based system of care that is universally accessible for the millions of families who have a child or young adult suffering the leading cause of death and disability for American youth and then transitioning into an adult system of greater independent living.

It always seems to amaze me how people can talk down to someone just because they are different and I’m constantly talked down. It’s bad enough trying to find anyone that knows anything about brain injury. I’ve been a participant in the Connecticut Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) Waiver Program for several years and I have YET to find anyone that I don’t need to tell what to do, or anyone that does not talk down to me like I’m a 2 year old, or even try to get one over on me! I have kept in this “box” where I’m very limited on what I can do. I believe that my rehabilitation has been curtailed as a result.

We all need to stop and take the time to really understand the difference between the two (mental health & brain injury) because they or NOT one in the same. They are two completely different situations and different disabilities.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and communities impacted by this horrible… attack.

This movie is wrong on so many levels.

Craig Sears

eyeswideopen

Posted at 11:26 PM on February 5, 2013

Why not film at the school the set is now cleared ,hurry before they demolish it as the real truth may come out

countrygirlkz

Posted at 10:13 PM on February 5, 2013

Reblogged this on countrygirl965 and commented:
your kidding me ! no we dont need a movie .. this is a horrible idea

Courtney

Posted at 9:48 PM on February 5, 2013

some people are too overly sensative cinema is supposed to make you think. the last film about young school kids that was shot in Connecticut was nominated for 4 academy awards the school scenes in that film were shot only 10 minutes from Sandy Hook in Danbury granted that was 46 years ago. correct that’s 1968’s Rachel Rachel and the director/lead actress lived about 40 minutes from Sandy Hook n Westport which she still does

omg!!

Posted at 7:02 PM on February 5, 2013

Well i dont understand why its such a big deal they make movies about everything ok!!!

RaisingAwareness

Posted at 5:42 PM on February 5, 2013

Not true! It’s a short film about mental illness in a 13 year old boy & his parents fear of it. Not about Newtown! #mentalhealth

bandgeek96

Posted at 3:57 PM on February 5, 2013

Reblogged this on livefreeandbeyourself and commented:
Bad thing? you tell me… do we need to make a movie about it or not?

patinaandcompany