Regina George may have mocked the drama kids, but now it looks like she’s heading to Broadway herself! How grool is that?
When Tina Fey walked the red carpet Jan. 27 at the Screen Actors Guild Awards, she discussed four words I never thought I would ever hear in this order: Mean Girls, The Musical! “I would love to,” Tina told E! when asked about bringing the Plastics to Broadway. “I’m trying to develop it … with my husband, who does all the music for 30 Rock. I think Paramount’s on board.”
As crazy as it may sound, I think Mean Girls could make a great musical, especially with Tina and husband Jeff Richmond at the helm. Did anyone think Legally Blonde would be a great musical? Or Bring It On? Of course not, but they both turned out to be huge hits!
That’s right. They were both HUGE. HITS.
Potential Songs For ‘Mean Girls: The Musical’
Because Mean Girls: The Musical is still being developed, we don’t know anything about the show’s sure-to-be-crowd-pleasing musical numbers, but that’s not stopping me from making a few suggestions. Here are five songs I’d like to see make their way to the stage:
1. “You Go Glen Coco,” one boy’s triumphant song-and-dance number about getting multiple valentines — while Gretchen Wieners got none.
2. “I’m A Cool Mom,” an upbeat number introducing the beautiful creature that is Regina George’s mother.
3. “Projection Room Blues,” Shane Oman’s surprisingly poignant ballad about getting caught in his undies — all alone.
4. “I Want My Pink Shirt Back,” Damian’s big moment, where he demands Cady return his over-sized garment. (This could be a major highlight of act two.)
5. “So Fetch!,” Gretchen Wieners’ desperate (musical) attempt to make “fetch” happen.
HollywoodLifers, do you think Mean Girls should be made into a musical? Drop us a comment with your ideas for potential songs!
— Andy Swift
More theater news on HollywoodLife.com: