‘Vampire Diaries’ Planning Spin-Off Series, ‘The Originals’

Fri, January 11, 2013 4:19pm EDT by 55 Comments
Vampire Diaries Spin Off
Courtesy of The CW

Dora Spalding

Posted at 7:00 PM on January 14, 2013

I love the klaus character. He needs his own story with no over shadowing from the rest of the cast. I don’t really care who else is included it that. His character alone is worth the spin-off.

niconut

Posted at 6:21 PM on January 14, 2013

NO, BECAUSE KLAUS NEEDS TO STAY AND KLAROLINE NEEDS TO HAPPEN I DON’T LIKE THIS.

Alice

Posted at 10:31 PM on January 13, 2013

The news of this spin off show does raise a lot of questions about Hayley and Klaus’ stories this season. I doubt that they will be killed, though a coworker at DISH thinks that they could be forced out of Mystic Falls. I can’t wait to see both of them in New Orleans, making this another show I will be recording with my DISH Hopper. With everything I watch, it really helps that I have 2,000 hours of storage space to not fall behind. I also love that I can fast forward through commercials on my recordings, getting me back to the vampire drama quicker. It will be interesting to see the role that Klaus plays in this spin off, considering he is still a villain in The Vampire Diaries. It seems like he could make the evolution to hero, especially if his protégé is even more diabolical than him.

kim

Posted at 6:35 PM on January 13, 2013

I think Klaus and Haylee are sister and brother. Klaus’ dad is a werewolf so Haylee is probably his sister too.

Klaus and Hayley (@KlausandHayley)

Posted at 2:44 PM on January 13, 2013

Yeah, I love this project!!
Klaus and Hayley appear together in this project does not mean they are together as a couple…anyway, it would be an interesting idea, as the pair of Caroline and Klaus has no sense…In addition, fans of Phoebe and Joseph should think that it’s a good opportunity for both…

Linda Marie

Posted at 11:24 AM on January 13, 2013

i only watch this show because of joseph morgan. if there’s a spin off, i’m following that and unloading TVD like i was going to back at the end of S2. BUT, hayley??? i like tonkin but not for the spinoff!! caroline is stagnant of TVD, all she does is get kidnapped and beaten up or she’s nothing but klaus bait. she grew when she became a vamp, but now mystic falls itself will hold her back from further growth. she needs to jump ship and follow the spinoff. we need to see caroline grow into herself when presented with options. klaus was good 1,000yrs ago, but was turned to how he is because of what mikael and his mother did to him. caroline needs to be more edgy but still hold that spark of humanity. what if she had similar experiences to klaus, it would change her and i want to see more internal struggle for her. when she and stefan had that moment of “how are we any different than klaus” i was throwing up my arms and saying “frickin finally a light bulb”. give us a spinoff with the originals and caroline, the rest can stay in mystic falls and worry/fight over elena.

Hi

Posted at 9:06 AM on January 13, 2013

ugh i’m so not interested if haley is involved

Lola

Posted at 4:37 AM on January 13, 2013

I also think that Candice Accola’s character of Caroline, is totally pointless for TVD by now and definitely wasted as a side- character! She completely deserves a main- lead, to get the chance to develop and grow as a Vampire – that includes the temptation of exploring her darker side! And she coudn’t do that in Mystic Falls – with her Mum around and all the people she grew up with. Caroline simply HAS to leave MF after her graduation!

Lola

Posted at 4:21 AM on January 13, 2013

I am only watching TVD because of the Originals, but I do understand the need for the old characters to get back storylines that wouldn’t include Klaus all the time. Therefore I am all for a spin- off- series about the Originals – although they have to cast ALL of the Originals for this! And they better NOT to make Haley (P. Tonkin) a lead- character as Klaus’ love- interest!!! She might turn out to be interesting for Klaus’ werewolf- heritage plotline, but I still want a certain blond baby- vampire to leave Mystic Falls after her graduation, to learn more about the big bad Vampire/ Werewolf- world out there. I am pretty sure that the TVD producer’s wouldn’t yet hint on that possibility, since it will spoil a potentially big surprise for the final episode – but this entire Klaus/ Caroline- chemistry and their talk about seeing the world/ Klaus’ offer of taking her out of MF/ her impending graduation etc., couldn’t have been for nothing, surely?! Because if this Klaus/Caroline- plotline wouldn’t have had any future meaning at all, it would have been totally pointless and silly! If the producer’s are planning a Beauty & the Beast storyline for the spin- off – Caroline & Klaus would be it! And I can’t wait to see the other Originals – like Becca, Kol, Elijah, too :)

Scarey Kerri

Posted at 4:00 AM on January 13, 2013

I dont really think that there will be a love interest hardcore with klaus and haley, their characters just dont mesh well together. Shes the last werewolf hes got right now, his hybrids are dead…yeah hes gonna take her with him. Common sense tells you that. But what gets me is that shes going with him, I want her dead, sorry but its true. Im not a fan of her character, its seriously dragging the show and not really needed, she was one to stir up trouble, but her character has just been half there half getting on my nerves.

I think honestly she just needs to go and not becomeing a spin off. And I dont know how I feel about the originals, there needs to be a spin off that dates back to the beginning, going back to tell their story completely and then into present day mystic falls, now that would be one hell of a show.

Hi

Posted at 9:08 AM on January 13, 2013

agreed. If haley becomes klaus’ new love interest i’ll be officially done with the show

Catherine

Posted at 1:57 AM on January 13, 2013

I can’t even begin to convey how much I want an Original’s spinoff… just not like this. I’m absolutely and utterly heartbroken and destroyed… and conflicted! I’m ecstatic for Joseph, because that means that his acting prowess is finally getting the recognition it deserves. The CW has to believe that he has the ability and popularity to carry a show and that’s AMAZING. But I HATE the idea that Hayley will potentially be going to the spin off with him. It makes me physically ill! And don’t get me wrong, I actually am a fan of Phoebe Tonkin. I LOVE her! But I don’t want Hayley ANYWHERE near Klaus on a weekly leading-character/potential-love-interest basis! Are you kidding me? HANDS OFF!!! THAT’S CAROLINE’S JOB!!!

The good thing is that back door pilots are a good way to find out what will/won’t work with an audience/fan-base and nothing is set in stone. We have an opportunity to let the CW know that yes we’re happy for Joseph and the rest of the Original siblings cast that could possibly be joining him on the spinoff, but some things are definitely going to have to change!

Suzy

Posted at 1:47 AM on January 13, 2013

I agree with many odf the other posts in here, no Haley. Klaus and Caroline.

M

Posted at 3:12 PM on January 12, 2013

Spin-offs are so tacky. People will think its a joke.

Jules

Posted at 2:15 PM on January 12, 2013

BRILLIANT NEWS – the Originals have been the most entertaining part of TVD for quite a while. Can’t wait to see more of them, particularly the brilliant Klaus and Elijah. Can ditch the tedious TVD love triangle and get stuck in with some real action.

Rina

Posted at 1:53 PM on January 12, 2013

Happy about the concept. Not happy that Julie Plec’s name on it. She ruined TVD when she took the reigns. So I’m pretty sure that she will ruin this one too. Already starting off in the wrong foot by bringing Phoebe Tonkin with them. I’m sorry, the character is just as useless as all the other guest stars that TVD graced us with this season! So a no go for me with this spin off.

Lina

Posted at 9:59 AM on January 12, 2013

Caroline needs to go with them. They can’t have built up Klaroline, that chemistry and the epic romance that could be just to screw it up like this….seriously. Oh and Klaus should force Stefan to come too so that I have no reason to watch TVD, since I don’t care about any other character. Delena can carry on being the most dysfunctional piece of crap ever made on television, who the hell cares?!

tvd

Posted at 9:19 AM on January 12, 2013

I’m surprised. Phoebe Tonkin ? Why ? It’s not wise at all.
What will happen to Klaroline ?
When I read the title , “Spinoff series The Originals” I was so glad.
I prefer Candice to Tonkin.
Choose the right thing before it’s too late.

Ella

Posted at 1:07 AM on January 12, 2013

Yay!!! This means we won’t have to see the annoying Originals and Hayley on the show anymore. Seriously they were bringing the show down. Good riddance!

Mr Pointy

Posted at 5:17 PM on January 13, 2013

I agree.

DarkWhisper-

Posted at 12:40 AM on January 12, 2013

Happy that Joseph Morgans Supreme talent has been recognised but.. Hayley ? wtf ? If it was Caroline instead of Hayley? it would be brilliance. but separating Klaus & Caroline? they were the highlight of TVD!! And Hayley sucks!! If this is the end of Klaroline I’m gone. And if it turns out Klaus knew hayley before she came into TVD? That will ruin Klaus for me!! Im furious. Spitting mad. Julie Plec has done brilliantly so far, how can someone so brilliant make such a huge mistake!? Hoping there is a twist involved that we haven’t heard yet because otherwise I think this is the crashing and burning of our beloved Vampire Diaries D: #devastated #spitting mad #having a tantrum -

KD

Posted at 11:07 PM on January 11, 2013

Klaus was always meant to be diabolical, not turn into a pony loving pussy. They cant do that with every character on TVD. Yay!! I hope this means Stefan and Caroline will have a chance now, I love them. Paul and Candice are amazing together. Steroline could top Delena :)))))

Huda

Posted at 7:08 PM on January 11, 2013

NO NO NO WTF !?!? What About KLAROLINE,!?!? You kill off Klaus I don’t watch #TVD anymore. That’s it.

DarkWhisper-

Posted at 12:38 AM on January 12, 2013

AGREED!!

Parker

Posted at 5:20 PM on January 13, 2013

Klaroline doesn’t even make sense. Good riddance.

Vanessa

Posted at 6:09 PM on January 11, 2013

NO NO NO I want KLAROLINE, whats gonna happen do them if this happens? JUST NO

MuseandTheKillers

Posted at 4:39 PM on January 11, 2013

YAY THEY SHOULD TOTS DEF MAKE A SPIN OFF NOOOO THEY SHOULD NOT KILL KLAUS IN THE PRESENT I MEAN WHAT ABOUT US KLAROLINE FANS?????? I HONESTLY DOUBT ANYBODY CARES ABOUT HALEY IN PRESENT DAY

Winnie

Posted at 4:36 PM on January 11, 2013

NOOOOOOOO what will happen to my klaroline??

vita

Posted at 4:34 PM on January 11, 2013

NO NO NO WORLD! DID I MENTION NO??? (c)