‘Glee’ Scoop: Season 5 Only Taking Place In NYC?

Fri, January 11, 2013 12:41pm EDT by 68 Comments
Glee Season 5
Courtesy of Fox

KC

Posted at 10:45 PM on January 31, 2013

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

I like the way Glee is right now. I thought the format would be awkward but they’ve done a good job with it.

S Purvis

Posted at 8:27 AM on February 2, 2013

Though I’d like a spin-off and like the NYC stories better, if it HAS to be a single show, yes they’ve done a great job with it. Esp with the (stupid) interruptions this season-

Melissa Mckenna

Posted at 4:13 PM on February 9, 2013

Glee can’t move exclusively to New York! They need to continue with the Wemma storyline. True fans deserve a happy ending. Plus, the glee club is better with Will at the head of it. He’s the heart and soul of the show. This season has been lacking due to his absence!

Setra

Posted at 12:01 AM on January 29, 2013

I think I would like to see Glee move primarily to New York. I supposed it could start to focus on college life for everyone, while maintaining the idea of music and dance as apart of that environment. My coworker first told me about this possibility while at work at DISH, we both watch every week. I like to record it on my DISH Hopper using the PrimeTime Anytime feature. I have this set up to record all primetime programming that comes on the four major networks. With this I don’t have to set up an individual timer for Glee each week.

KC

Posted at 10:46 PM on January 31, 2013

I dunno, if they do that it could go the way of “Saved By The Bell: The College Years” and totally tank. I think the McKinley stories are more interesting than the New York ones.

Plus, I don’t think they could even call it Glee anymore at that point. Since Rachel’s adamant about not joining the college glee club.

Lydia

Posted at 3:25 PM on January 28, 2013

I would love if Rachel and Finn get back together and if everyone like Kurt Blaine, Santana Britney, Everone will get back together that might happen if everyone goes to NYC they’ll all get together I expecially want Rachel and Finn to get back together kitty just should shut her face and stop being mean to marley. And the boys should stop fighting over marley pluss I think that it should show puck and what he’s up to maybe even show sues kid with her all that will be amazing!!

Shadowslayer1209

Posted at 12:34 PM on January 28, 2013

I think its a good idea basing the 5th season of glee in one place beside maybe Finn and Rachel will finally get back together and so will Blaine and Kurt i miss Finchel and Klaine

KC

Posted at 10:48 PM on January 31, 2013

Klaine was BORING. It was good for Kurt to have a first love, but there was no romantic chemistry. It just seemed fake.

DeathJoker

Posted at 10:20 PM on January 27, 2013

Ryan Murphy messed up by graduating most of the original cast because “they were getting too old.” TV is all about suspending reality – their age wasn’t really a big deal. I think they just didn’t want to have to pay them more, despite all the $$$ Glee rakes in.

KC

Posted at 10:49 PM on January 31, 2013

Agreed!!!

Stephanie

Posted at 8:34 AM on February 2, 2013

Is that why he graduated them? “Too old”? Colfer is/was the YOUNGEST of them! Yup- suspension of disbelief is essential. I’m pretty happy w the way things are going this season, though (if they had to split) and I DO like the older, more mature storylines in NYC. I’m just hoping Santana really will move there and Quinn will pop up from New Haven…and Mike/Mercedes wander over. It’d give the older veterans a place to go at the end of this year, too…Blaine was talking about NYADA (ooo – love interest triangle?) Glad they added another love interest for Kurt (for drama/character development sake), but not thrilled with Brody. No chemistry there and (nice as Dean probably is) Brody’s not a very interesting character.

StrainAsylum

Posted at 11:24 PM on January 26, 2013

My best case would be a NYC spin off, which would have Santana, Mike and Mercedes move to NYC (and Blaine, Artie & maybe Sam & Tina next year) and Finn, Puck and the newbies and teachers in Lima. I like WUnique and like the Jake/Puck dynamic, but the others are pretty vanilla (though Marley has good chemistry w/WUnique and, oddly, with Kitty – in musical numbers, at least).

Some people seem to really like the high school environment and it does allow some stuff to be addressed, with a regularly changing cast. That’s fine. Keep Lima for that; the Lima segments have been OK to pretty good this season, for me. I’m not sure that I could see Finn in NYC…

Mostly, however, I look for the NYC segments, since I like the more adult storylines that still address important aspects of growing up, and have the artistic environment I like Glee for. And I love the Kurt/Rachel chemistry.

Either way, there have been some really good episodes (in my opinion): “The Break-Up”, “Thanksgiving”, “Swan Song”, “Glee, Actually” and I really enjoyed “Sadie Hawkins” for the fun. Oh, “Dynamic Duets” was silly, but fun. Not a “Grease” fan, so that was a lesson in endurance with a couple of exceptions.

Nicholas [Claudius] Chiam

Posted at 4:33 PM on January 18, 2013

Maybe they could Move in between LA and NYC. I mean Mercedes can’t go Broadway, right, she will probably be THE DIVA of the recording studios of Hollywood. NYC is cool, but Broadway is not for everyone.
About the new characters, it kind of fun, but I will seriously get a headache trying to remember all of them. There will be a new Rachel, new Finn, new Replacement for all the empty cliched character profiles. And it could be a never ending cycle of McKinley Newer Directions. But that ain’t fun. They’d already won Nationals once. Glee doesn’t equal Lima Ohio or Mckinely High.
Just like Gossip Girl, The show does not need to stay in one place, it moves as the characters move

Ashley

Posted at 10:02 PM on January 14, 2013

I would love it they moved everyone to New York and ditched WMHS. I really do love the show but i dont find it as interesting as it was. I love the scenes in New York and as long as they all move there naturally i think its a wonderful idea. Well as long as Klaine get back together, then ill be all over the show! GO KLAINE!

Chip Skylark

Posted at 10:09 PM on January 13, 2013

well maybe it could be like a glee college years ugh I just dont want it to end

tirpse

Posted at 12:15 PM on January 12, 2013

For me it depends on what their plans for Blaine/Klaine are. If they want Blaine in the NY arc I’d be all for it.

Ashley

Posted at 10:04 PM on January 14, 2013

SAME!! I love Klaine and as long as they are together i will keep watching the show!

Miri

Posted at 10:05 AM on January 12, 2013

My beloved fox hit is doomed. I miss the original kids, even Will & Emma’s previous dramas (whatever happened to an epic wedding & possible throwing Terry into the mix?!) The stories are weak now. Move to NYC or stay in Lima doesnt matter, like Saved By The Bell and all good things, Glee must come to an end.

Kel

Posted at 3:56 AM on January 12, 2013

Think next year just the boring newbies at Mck. Please not one of the new kids have shown they can carry the Mck side of things. NY has potential and has characters we actually care abut.

HEYYALL

Posted at 12:53 AM on January 12, 2013

That is so dumb. The whole reason the show is entitled “Glee” is becuase it orginally started off of a HIGH SCHOOL Glee club. Not having it in Ohio wouldn’t even make it Glee anymore…

Nathalie

Posted at 4:19 AM on January 12, 2013

Glee is not exclusively a High School thing though. There’s a lot of world famous Collegiate Glee Clubs out there, one of which was the Tufts Beezelbubs which provided the voices for the Dalton Warblers vocals during season 2. So it wouldn’t be so out of place to have it a Glee College edition now that all of our beloved characters are graduated. Besides, it’s time to move on. We’ve seen them at their lowest in season 1 then their triumphs in Nationals, so what’s next for the McKinley Glee CLub now that won’t make it so predictable or repetitive, especially once the seniors (original characters) graduate this year, and leave it to the newbies?

Leigh

Posted at 10:53 PM on January 31, 2013

I’m working on a screen play for something like that. It’s kind of glee-meets-pitch-perfect in college. But with a different cast of characters, of course. I think there’s a lot of room in television for many series like this but I’m too worried that people will just think my screenplay is trying too hard to be like glee.

Nathalie

Posted at 12:39 AM on January 12, 2013

With Blaine, Sam, Tina, Artie and Brittanny set to graduate this year, there’s really nothing left in McKinley to care about. The newbies are 2.0 characters, so I usually fast forward during their parts already anyway unless they’re with the old characters. Plus, they’ve done most of the high school dilemmas already so what other stories are they going to tell next year without it being repetitive like it’s starting to be already. I’m ready to move on to a new, more grown-up Glee so I’m all for moving to New York next year.

Alex

Posted at 7:16 PM on January 11, 2013

A move to NY would be best, because we want to follow the lives of characters we care about, not waste time on uninspired noobs. But RIB will have to step up their game and make New York a much more exciting story than it has been so far. I do think adding more already established characters to the story will help immensely, because watching Rachel and her sidekick is getting really boring. Move Santana there, and Blaine for sure after graduation so we can see Kurt and Blaine living together. There is a lot of potentially great comedic story lines from that. Quinn could come visit more often, and Tina and Brittany could also go to NY. So could Artie, actually.
As for the competition/show choir structure, college has glee clubs too. And there are a lot of opportunities for singing, especially if people like Santana get gigs in lounges or we see Rachel and Blaine and Kurt in the musicals at NYADA.

Tara

Posted at 7:05 PM on January 11, 2013

I personally only care about the original cast so I think moving to new York is something Ryan should consider. Then we could hear more about Mercedes and Mike and Quinn.

jj

Posted at 7:03 PM on January 11, 2013

Glee should focus entirely on New York ASAP. The McKinley stories are all recycled, and the newbies aren’t interesting at all, nor are they anywhere near as talented as the original cast, especially Chris, Lea, and Cory. New York is underdeveloped, but the storylines are fresh. They need to drop McKinley, and the entire cast of students there (including Blaine who is nothing more than a jukebox).

eternity

Posted at 7:01 PM on January 11, 2013

Klainchel in NYC pls

Penny

Posted at 6:02 PM on January 11, 2013

Oh I hope they don’t :(. I already skip the new york scenes as it is. I don’t see the benefit, they’d lose a fan here for sure.

Glee has changed so much and not for the better. So bummed to say that, two years ago I wanted to MARRY this show. Now it’s just the ex your still creepily hung up on. You want to love again but you just don’t want to be hurt, lol.

DeathJoker

Posted at 10:27 PM on January 27, 2013

I don’t like the NY storyline either, but by graduating most of the old cast they kind of burned the bridge after they crossed it. They can’t go back to high school. Or can they? How many shows have flashbacks that allow them to return to a previous time? Or fake dream sequences that allow them to wipe away entire storylines? I say “go for it!” Get the old cast back to McKinley!!! Graduation and NYC were all someone’s nightmare.

ana

Posted at 5:47 PM on January 11, 2013

No way! Glee are one “drastic change” from cancelling themselves. The New York storyline is already insufferable. Boring. In what realm would most/all members move to the same city?You can’t cut it off at the roots, the cliche is there but true. Cut it off at the roots and it will DIE.

Glee needs to pick and choose. One minute it wants to portray the quirky wacky, unrealistic yet funny high school life, the next it’s trying to be “realistic” and deep with it’s hit social issue of the week. Make up your mind Glee. The clash of the two worlds is making this show PAINFUL to watch. Once I find out why Kitty is evil, I am outta here. Hopefully it doesn’t take her a pregnancy, several relationships and a car accident to work out she has inner beauty.

Stephanie

Posted at 8:46 AM on February 2, 2013

Boring?…NYC? How boring is it to be stuck in the limited range of stories you can get into in a high school- Admittedly, they’ve done a pretty OK job with the split locales, but I much prefer the veteran cast and love the “starting out in college/work” discoveries. But the new characters are finally starting to grow on me…a little. “Naked” and “Sadie Hawkins” were much more fun than I expected–and they still managed some pretty cool, positive messages in there, too.

Kitty I hated (the fake Rapture damage and bulimia instigation were evil; Quinn/Santana at their worst didn’t do harm), but she and Puck had some good chemistry in “Sadie Hawkins”. I would like to find out WHY she is the way she is.

But NYC boring?? NOT! I was skipping over the Lima stuff, then MADE myself watch it (if you don’t try it, how do you know you don’t like it? as my mother always asked). So far, glad I did.

Amy

Posted at 5:45 PM on January 11, 2013

move to NY definitely because it’s the characters we care about and are invested in. I wanna follow Santana, Rachel, Kurt (and hopefully Blaine and Britt pending graduation) and their life stories. for me, once those kids leave WMHS, I don’t care about glee club anymore. I’d also love to have a few eps where we see Mercedes in LA and mike in Chicago, and all the other original glee clubbers doing what they do.

A

Posted at 3:54 PM on January 11, 2013

I’m not sure about the whole series moving to NYC. The series began about a glee club at McKinley. I think that’s what the show is about and it should stay that way. I like the show like it is now with the split between New York and McKinley. It changes things up.

Gleeky13

Posted at 5:19 AM on January 12, 2013

Fully agree. Unfortunately, it seems like Glee is starting to take the “Pitch Perfect” approach by making a Glee Club at NYADA, so everyone’s “But Glee is about the Glee Club!” arguments are totally negated because now New York does have a Glee Club for its cast.

Jaxon

Posted at 3:42 PM on January 11, 2013

I think Lima should stay no matter what. If they want to keep New York, they can, but with the split. I personally think the split is working perfectly and they should keep it. It has added a dynamic that has been a pleasure to watch. I think a full shift to New York by season 5 would produce two things: 1) a huge fan base that likes McKinley that would be outraged and fight back and even stop watching, dropping the views. 2) people would get bored again. Last season faced the problem of people hating Glee because it had become so repetitive, which New York would easily fall into. I think the split needs to stay for a while, I personally don’t think New York will be strong enough by season 5 to support itself.

S. Strain

Posted at 8:49 AM on February 2, 2013

I could handle another year split, but am only moderately interested in the newbies (sorry, guys & gals). They ARE growing on me, though, and the stories have been done well. Frankly, the folks that jumped ship without looking back are missing out; most of these (not all) have been pretty darn good.

Michelle

Posted at 2:43 PM on January 11, 2013

I think a move to NY would be a natural continuation of the show. From reading people’s views, many people enjoy the NY scenes more than McKinley scenes so far in Season 4, I know I do!

Becky Curtis

Posted at 2:39 PM on January 11, 2013

So think we should have two show one glee anther called Nda I think fans would like it this way better i hope it work out for the good smile glee fans smile

Gleeky13

Posted at 5:16 AM on January 12, 2013

I agree with this. The split narrative now ensures that everyone is half-satisfied, but it’s not good enough. I love it because I do like to watch Rachel pursue her dreams, but I prefer to watch the high-school kids push through high school. Others only watch it for the New York side; others may only watch it for the Ohio side. But two separate shows can give everyone almost 100% of what they want. I’m just wondering, how expensive or inconvenient would it be for Fox?

The only inconvenience here, though, is that some characters just don’t belong in New York. Mercedes, Artie, Puck, Marley, Ryder, Joe, and maybe Sugar and Jake belong in LA, so maybe New York can get its own show, and Glee can be about New Directions and LA? I’m sure it’s just my own personal bias, but seriously. xD The writers created a tough road for themselves by not clarifying their longterm intentions from the start.

Stephie

Posted at 9:01 AM on February 2, 2013

Mercedes can sing in NYC and Artie can learn directing in NYC :) Sugar? Her dad has money; she can hit the upper crust stuff anywhere. Can’t really see Finn, Puck, Jake, Marley, Joe & Ryder – or Britt in NYC or LA.

The split works well enough (surprisingly well), but there’s just not enough time for decent storyline or character development (though they’ve done very well the last 2 episodes, after struggling with that); that’s my main issue. I prefer the veteran characters, who have been given short shrift, time-wise, while the new characters get development time.

Not sure if the network would cough up enough funds for a spin-off. However, the actors are probably getting a lot more rest. We think about an episode as just acting, but Glee performers have to learn new songs, choreography AND do the scenes. Sounded like they had some pretty long sessions over the last few years; bet it’s easier this way.