PSY Retiring ‘Gangnam Style’ Dance After New Year’s Eve Performance

Wed, January 2, 2013 9:06am EDT by 9 Comments
PSY Gangnam Style
YouTube

Watch PSY’s ‘final’ performance of ‘Gangnam Style’ and tell us: Will you miss the rapper’s anti-American moves?

Glee did itBritney Spears did it. Babies on YouTube did it. “Gangnam Style” was the dance nightmare you couldn’t wake up from in 2012, no matter how desperately you tried, but it doesn’t sound like our suffering will subside in 2013! “Being in Times Square on New Year’s Eve is already special — it’s the biggest stage in the universe — plus it’s my birthday, so, with all that, it may be the ending of ‘Gangnam Style,'” PSY told MTV News shortly before bringing the horsey dance to New Year’s Rockin’ Eve on Dec. 31.

“I mean, what better way to do it?” he added. “It’s my biggest and most meaningful birthday.”

But Is ‘Gangnam Style’ Really Over?

Sadly, no. While PSY is planning to put the horsey dance behind him in order to introduce new music here in the states, the anti-American musician said he’ll still be spreading his nonsense abroad.

“The song became too popular, and so you start to have some concern about its life period,” he told MTV News. “I’m really working hard on a new single right now, and I’m not saying ['Gangnam'] is ending on ‘Dick Clark’ — I still have a lot of invitations to perform it … I’ll be in Paris, and in February I got invited to perform in China, and I’ve still got to do promo. So let me say that in America I need a new single because ‘Gangnam Style’ got too popular, so I’ve got to write a new single.”

So close. So close!

What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Are you still into “Gangnam Style,” or — like me — are you anxious to see it disappear and never ever return? Watch PSY’s New Year’s Eve performance below, then vote:

MTV News

— Andy Swift

More PSY on HollywoodLife.com:

1. ‘Gangnam Style’ Singer PSY Once Rapped About Killing Americans
  2. President Obama Forgives Psy: Shake Hands At White House Event
  3. Psy Replaces Justin Bieber As King Of YouTube

Antonio

Posted at 11:17 PM on January 5, 2013

PSY is my personal favorite artist of ALL time and people are making fun of him I hope he can see this comment because 500 out of 1000000000000 people don’t like him so he should keep on doing what he is good at and haters should stop hatting.

Emi94

Posted at 10:48 PM on January 2, 2013

What kind of biased B.S. article is this? Pray tell, is the horse riding dance supposed to symbolize stomping all over the American flag or something? The man sang an offensive song years ago after traumatic events transpired in his country and he has since apologized for it. He is hardly “anti-american”. Get a grip.

dianne

Posted at 10:27 PM on January 2, 2013

everyone loves Gangnam style i am 52 years old and i love it and if i could move i would dance with him good luck psy looking for move keep it going love ya

abcd

Posted at 8:11 PM on January 2, 2013

How is Gangnam Style an “anti American” move????
Cheap journalism. Tsktsk

Meltrose

Posted at 7:42 PM on January 2, 2013

He’s not anti-American and Gangnam Style isn’t anti-american either, you nitwit.

Odin Milbury

Posted at 7:38 PM on January 2, 2013

Gangam style rules it should live on! rock on!
go Psy! :D :D :D

Ally

Posted at 10:40 AM on January 2, 2013

I’m getting so sick of gangnam style. I could tolerate it at first but now it’s on all the time and its just so annoying. He even came to the mall by my university and performed gangnam styles for the thousands that showed up. I’m just ready for it to be over and done with.

John R

Posted at 9:52 AM on January 2, 2013

Is this satire or something? I mean this has to be satire, right? “Anti-American moves”? Because he was related to a political protest event nearly a decade ago he apologized for? You’re an idiot.

tkimmie1220

Posted at 12:10 AM on January 3, 2013

The translation of the controversial lyrics that went viral was submitted anonymously to CNN i-reporter team. You didn’t expect CNN to check for accuracy….cause they didn’t.

Leave PSY alone….he never said Kill the f…Americans. He basically said those yankees who ordered the Iraqis to be tortured be killed. PSY was protesting anti-torture more than anything else. These lyrics were written by someone else but PSY did perform using these lyrics. Not his best moment but this happened after a young Korean female missionary was beheaded by the terrorists in Iraq. They told Korea to stop sending troops over(bullied by the US govt) or else,