Spike Lee Attacks Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Django Unchained’

Wed, December 26, 2012 9:06am EST by 30 Comments
Spike Lee Django Unchained
FameFlynet (2), Courtesy of The Weinstein Company

Spike Lee is disgusted with fellow director Quentin Tarantino’s depiction of slavery in his latest flick ‘Django Unchained,’ and he’s blasting the ‘disrespectful’ movie on Twitter! Whose side are you on?

Spike Lee has criticized Quentin Tarantino’s work in the past, and now, the director says he’d be disrespecting his ancestors if he were to see the slavery revenge flick Django Unchained. He’s boycotting the movie because he finds it insulting.

“American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust. My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them,” Spike wrote on Twitter.

“I can’t speak on it ’cause I’m not gonna see it. I’m not seeing it,” Spike also said in a video interview with VibeTV. “All I’m going to say is that it’s disrespectful to my ancestors to see that film. That’s the only thing I’m gonna say,” he explained. “I can’t disrespect my ancestors. I can’t do it. Now, that’s me. I’m not speaking on behalf of anybody but myself. I can’t do it.”

Spike Has Criticized Quentin’s Work In The Past

Spike, 55, has criticized Quentin’s work in the past, voicing his disgust for Tarantino’s liberal use of the n-word in Jackie Brown, a 1997 movie starring Samuel L. Jackson.

“I’m not against the word. And some people speak that way. But Quentin, 49, is infatuated with that word,” Spike said of Quentin in an interview with HollywoodLife.com sister company Variety.

“What does he want to be made, an honorary black man?” the Do The Right Thing director asked. “I want Quentin to know that all African-Americans do not think that word is trendy or slick.”

What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Should Spike keep his thoughts to himself or do you agree with him? Don’t forget to read 5 reasons we think you SHOULD go see Django Unchained!

— Chris Rogers

More Movie News:

1. ‘Scary Movie 5′ First Look: Trailer Released — Watch
  2. ‘This Is 40′: Five Reasons To See Judd Apatow’s New Film
  3. ‘Zero Dark Thirty’: Five Reasons To See Jessica Chastain’s CIA Thriller

cigarette electronique

Posted at 7:12 AM on March 18, 2014

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words
in your article seem to be running off the screen in Opera.
I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with web
browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.
The design look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon.
Thanks

rencontre une coquine

Posted at 3:03 PM on March 12, 2014

Thanks for sharing such a good thinking, post is good, thats why i have read it fully

agence de referencement naturel

Posted at 12:35 PM on March 11, 2014

Amazing blog! Is your theme custom made
or did you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would
really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you
got your design. With thanks

forum league of legends

Posted at 11:31 AM on March 11, 2014

I was recommended this website by my cousin. I am not
sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed
about my difficulty. You are amazing! Thanks!

Ouceti.com

Posted at 7:03 AM on March 5, 2014

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have really
enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your
feed and I hope you write again soon!

Ivanhoe

Posted at 8:18 PM on February 11, 2013

Four words: shut up Spike Lee! Grow up, this movie isn’t belittling what happened, it shows just how savage slaves were treated and how despicable slave traders and owners were. Sure he injects him comedy into it, but almost entirely at the expense of the white people who he generally portrays in a very negative light with the exception of one white guy. You think people are stupid enough to think taretyntinos movies are completely realistic portrayals of historical events? Well, I think people are more intelligent than you do.

Julian

Posted at 11:38 PM on January 12, 2013

why are you guys editing and, apparently, deleting comments? I posted one after I’d seen it for the second time and it’s not here any longer.

Billy

Posted at 1:49 PM on December 30, 2012

Spike said he hadn’t seen the movie. How can you judge a movie without seeing it? Also look at the time period the movie is set in. People were NOT called afro-americans but by many racist and cruel names. Think about it Spike!

IP OP

Posted at 9:04 AM on December 30, 2012

Spike surely isn’t falling for such routine
chain-pulling ops from the likes of capstone
‘authorised’ —approved and promoted
—’TEAR—ANT—TEEN ——KNOW’.

Those who’ve eluded lobotomization
via media and meds are surely, as ever
with tarrentino, asking
——————————-WHO needs it?

————————————-WHO asked for it?

RED China handover 2013
————’MANDINGO meets BLAZING SADDLES’ ———–WHY????

Janice Mcgee

Posted at 3:37 AM on December 29, 2012

Another thing is” you can’t make people forget their culture even you being a native american tells me that you haven’t forgotten your culture. so what if I wasn’t born in Africa, my ancestors was, and that means my great grandmother, yes it does” so you get over it.” And if you don’t like it stop reading your history books or better yet have you ever read one? You get over it”. Wasting your time trying to make other people forget.Start living your own life it’s to short to cry about what other people feel .

Janice Mcgee

Posted at 2:32 PM on December 28, 2012

Both Spike and Tarantino is very intellligent director’s.I like them both and I understand what both are saying, everyone is entitled to how they feel and should be respected for that. With everything going on in this world Racisium is a very big issue. Learning to live together and respect each other is what our ancestors died for and Spike is standing for exactly that.The N-word has been a thorn in our side for centuries and like Spike is saying” should be shattied carefully. Mr Tarantino is showing us some incite on what our people went thru for our very existance,and that’s just something we don’t know everything about. I imagined that there is alot we’re yet to know about their sufferrings.The two together, with all that brain power and knowlege could really help us all to understand what our people went thru and maybe could help us come to a reasonable conclusion to all our countries pain. God Bless them both, because after all he put them both here for a reason.

Marchia

Posted at 7:07 PM on December 27, 2012

Enough with the” my people from africa crap”!!!! Most slaves were brought here by pirates who got them from the caribbean islands!!! I am a Native American & we went threw a lot too!! My family was born here & slaughtered here, we’re yours?? Itz the past, give it a rest, already!!!!! Itz a movie, like spike said, he won’t go see it that’s his choice. There are other people in it, they don’t seem to mind!

Nick Hutton

Posted at 9:50 AM on December 28, 2012

Amen Marchia

Terri

Posted at 11:32 PM on December 28, 2012

You Are Native American and went through a lot… where do you think the slaves from the Caribbean islands came from??? Africa!!! What does that have to do with Spike Lee voicing his opinion about an American Holocaust of African/Nubian people? It is voices like yours that keep the much needed conversation to be had, from happening. If Spike Lee made a “comedy” about the Jewish Holocaust… WAIT A MINUTE, that would never happen because Hollywood, would never green light this kind of movie about their Holocaust in the FIRST PLACE!!!! YES it is a movie… YES it is the past…Yes your family was born here and slaughtered… and YES Africans were slaughtered as well. Never under estimate the POWER of a MOVIE!!!

Marchia

Posted at 1:41 AM on December 29, 2012

My point iz there has been movies about every race!! But every time a movie iz made about black people, people have to say something negative! Where you born in africa? Your MOM, Dad, grandma, etc?? I really doubt it. This isn’t africa, asia, australia, this iz America, so you are a American!!!! All slaves did not come from africa!!!! Charlize Theron was born in africa she’s not black!! Get over it already!!

Janice Mcgee

Posted at 3:22 AM on December 29, 2012

First of all,no one said anything about Africa,so keep up ok. The conversation was first and foremost about the N-word got it. Whatever is in your mind it does not have to do with Africa!!!! And where were you born? Because you should learn to read and understand what you’re reading, it’s possible that you’re slow to understand.Yes there was slaves from Africa and that’s not the issue here, the issue is getting alone and thru it.My great grandmother was a slave,and my great aunt did tell me alot about her grandmother being sold from her,now she had hatred in her of course but this is a totally different time.Moving on to better things and making people of all colors now will bring us all together in love, it doesn’t mean we should forget it’s all called forgive.Christ forgive,why can’t we. Stop blaming other people for what you can’t accomplish because you think no one wants to talk about slavery or don’t want to face it. Get your butt out there and do something about your anger, read a book or get educated.Start with Dr Martin Luther King and his intentions to bring people together ALL PEOPLE..

Michelle

Posted at 8:59 AM on December 31, 2012

There was such a movie, it was called Inglorious Bastards. A team of Jewish American soldiers beat and kill a bunch of nazis, at the end a Jewish girl blows up the theatre Hitler and all of his close comrades are in killing everyone. Tarantino also directed this one. The same concept as Django.

Linda S.

Posted at 11:35 PM on December 26, 2012

Since all you like the word Nig__ and listened to it 110 times then all you Nigg— are stupid. Jamie and samuel jackson and the rest will do anything for a buck. And you all are nothing but ignorant blacks yourself. Could the movie not be good without saying the N-word 110 times. Even the whites that saw it said it was too much and asked why the director used it that much. But stupid black people that dont know or care about their history sit there probably hooping and hollering. Because most of the younger generation are ignorant and care only to have a good time. The ancestors are rolling in their graves all they did for you ignorant blacks. You have no pride and are just ignorant. Sorry but I say Roots the series over 5 days and the N-word was used but not no 110 times. What a waste to let a white director call us the N-word as much as he want. He would not have used whitey or cracker 110 times in anything. But he knows black people(many) are ignorant and he could get away from it. THanks spike lee for knowing your history and being proud of your ancestors that bled and died for these trolls going to this disrespectful movie !!

Kristens Evil Twin

Posted at 5:19 PM on December 26, 2012

Ok: just seen all the trailers.
I Cannot. Wait. To See.This. Movie !!!
I predict an Oscar nom for all cast, but especially for Leo and Jamie.
Wow !

cheekbrown

Posted at 5:12 PM on December 26, 2012

Spike Lee cannot say that the n word has never been used in his movies. It seems more like Spike does not think that Tarantino should use the n word because he is white. Django is off the chain! Great movie, and I’m glad I saw it.

Kristens Evil Twin

Posted at 5:20 PM on December 26, 2012

Have u seen the original ? I think u may like it and I agree with you. I cannot wait to see this one,too :)

Nick Hutton

Posted at 4:57 PM on December 26, 2012

Spike should be thanking QT for this movie for it shows how terrible my ancestors (yes I’m white) were in that area, nothing most of us today are proud about. I watch that movie next to an African American and we both laughed and cringed at the same scenes. That’s because, although racism still exist, neither of us felt different about watching and emotionally feeling how bad it was for the slaves back then. Spike is continuing to separate us because if he were to direct the movie (or any black director) on this subject and it was as accurate he would probably love it. Spike, do yourself a favor and watch this movie and stop focusing on who directed it.

wanda

Posted at 2:24 PM on December 26, 2012

The guy is entitled to his opinion.I myself am African American and I will be seeing this movie.I like Tarantino’s work. I also like Spike’s work. I think Spike is a bit jealous that he didn’t come up with the concept of this movie first.Tarantino is being historically correct in using that word in the movie.Actors that are in Tarantino projects Are nominated for Oscars.Spike needs to keep working on what he is doing and stop downing other directors for the work they’re doing.

Kristens Evil Twin

Posted at 5:01 PM on December 26, 2012

@ wanda: I agree, on all points, 100 %. Back then, when this movie was set, in that time-frame, people used that word.
Now,I do agree that not all Africa-American people think it is trendy or slick, but back in that time-era, it was freely used. And I agree: i think that Spike is a bit jeaklous,too, that he didn’t think of it first.
Tarantino’s work is brilliant and yes,I will be watching it. mainly for Leo and Jamie Foxx ( another brilliant actor !)

Reptilicuz

Posted at 12:53 PM on December 26, 2012

Spike lee needs to be more professional & less Ghetto!, respect your fellow director!, & keep your opinions to your self!, ” don’t hate! Simply/ Participate!, don’t be a hateful, opinionated racist/ biggott, simply, live! & let live! & life will be so much sweeter, sincerely, / from my Heart/ Reptilicuz!.

Linda Crawley

Posted at 11:41 AM on December 26, 2012

Saw DJANGO yesterday. Loved it. Can’t speak for anyone else, but the theatre was sold out and people stood and applauded at the end.

Kristens Evil Twin

Posted at 5:03 PM on December 26, 2012

@ linda Crawley: Thank you for your review. When I go see it, I will now know what to expect. ( Afraid that it would bomb…and now I know I am in for a treat !)

flossy

Posted at 11:41 AM on December 26, 2012

If Spike wants to make a point he needs to do it through his craft not by attacking other directors all the time he comes off as sad and bitter. He’s no longer the centre of the universe and needs to move on otherwise he’ll lose what little of his talent he has left.

Jack

Posted at 10:19 AM on December 26, 2012

He hasn’t even seen it so why the hell is he saying its disrespectful – what a dick – if you watch any interview tarantino knows its a delicate situation! Hes telling the truth it was a savage time! So I’m sure he’ll treat it with respect and I can’t wait to watch it!

Lois x Brundage Vance

Posted at 10:17 AM on December 26, 2012

Sounds like Spike is a little Jealous that someone else did something he was thinking about, but, wasn’t first to the table. I say, lets respect and be respected. When he did his movies, we(African Americans) supported him. If it’s not a Spike Lee Joint, Spike doesn’t think we should support it. Well I’m for supporting anything that allows More BLACK PEOPLE WORKING. Spite needs to get a grip. He is not the CENTER if the UNIVERSE anymore.