‘Sister Wives’ Kody Brown’s Family Refused Entry At Mormon Museum

Mon, December 24, 2012 1:58pm EDT by 41 Comments
Sister Wives Recap
Courtesy of TLC

Kody — I had to sympathize with you, when you and 15 of your children were blocked from seeing the Mormom museum in Carthage, Illinois by the director, just because you’re polygamists, on this week’s episode of ‘Sister Wives’. That was so wrong!

Sister Wives Kody Brown -- I may not agree with you taking four wives, but I say, live and let live, and I felt sorry for your family — especially your children when you were refused entry to a Mormon museum because of your lifestyle. It happened during a grueling family trip — it could hardly be called a vacation — to Nauvoo, Illinois, the birthplace of Mormonism.

Kody and his four wives, Meri, Janelle, Christine and Robyn, endured three days of endless driving for 15 to 16 hours in two giant RVs to get from Las Vegas to Nauvoo. With 15 children on board, including several extremely reluctant teenagers, every pitstop on the trip took an hour — not 15 minutes — and Kody had the biggest meltdown we’ve ever seen on the tv series.

Sister Wives Kody Brown’s Epic Meltdown

Kody, we learned, you need a lot more than the four hours a night of sleep that you were  getting on this trip or you get majorly cranky. “I try to rotate and spend time with all my wives,” you said, explaining your exasperation with the RV setup. “I hate that word ‘rotate,'” complains Robyn, who should be used to the idea of rotating since she did marry Kody, who already had three other wives.

“I was ready to meltdown because I was too exhausted to sit here and try and delegate. I wanted to bark orders and have them obeyed,” Kody said. ” I think ‘obey’ is a four letter word”, Christine, wisely told you off.

“I needed to stop and get everybody out of my face,” Kody complained. Hey Kody — you were the one who wanted to take 21 people in two RVs on a three-day marathon drive.

Wisely, Kody, you realized before totally letting loose that you needed a time out.  “You’re kind of at a point where you think losing your temper can do a lot of emotional damage, so I just wanted to call on God to help me maintain a decent disposition,” said Kody – which was definitely a good idea.

Violent Beginnings For Polygamy

The Brown adults are all excited to go back to Nauvoo, where founders of Mormonism Joseph and his brother Hyrum lived and were later murdered because of their commitment to polygamy. Joseph believed he was commanded by God to have plural wives. Apparently, he ended up having 33 wives.

“He did a fine job of it, but I’m not interested in that big of a task,” Kody admitted.

The family is all freaked out when their tour guide in Nauvoo, Joseph Johnstun -- a non-polygamist Mormom —  tells them that 12 of Joseph Smith’s wives had other husbands — in other words, “brother husbands.”

The whole family is upset to hear about how Joseph and Hyrum were basically lynched by a prejudiced mob in Carthage, because they were polygamists.

The Brown Family Faces Prejudice

How ironic, that Kody and the Brown family encounter prejudice — not deadly of course, but prejudice, just the same, when they are in that very town. Also, it turns out that Robyn’s great, great great grandfather – John Sullivan Fullmer was the lawyer for Joseph Smith and Christine’s great great great grandfather, William Adams, watched some of the mayhem involved in the episode. The Browns’ polygamist roots, go back a long way.

How sad, that a museum director would deny entry to a museum because he doesn’t approve of the Browns’ religious beliefs. That is so disappointing in a country that prides itself on being accepting of all peaceful people, despite their race, sex, ethnicity or religious beliefs.

“Once in a while, it’s made very clear to us that we have prejudice against us, ” says Janelle. “It’s just me and I’m accepting of other people ( she is) and it hurts.” It does.

Kody Brown — Why He’s More Committed To Polygamy Than Ever

Kody – you ended the episode boldly re-affirming to us all that “I believe Joseph Smith was inspired by God  to have plural wives. Absolutely.”

After seeing the jail, where Joseph Smith was shot and bayonetted in a violent death, you wisely say, “When I’m feeling sorry for myself because my wives are treating me like a ping pong ball I realize so many others have sacrificed so much so I could live in plural marriage in peace.”

Well, no matter, how I or anyone else feels about your polygamist lifestyle, it was wrong for your family to be judged and dissed on your vacation. What do you think, Hollywoodlifers? Do you agree or should the Browns have been refused entrance at the museum? Let me know.

–Bonnie Fuller

More Sister Wives:

1. Sister Wives Go On Attack & Meri Cries Over Janelle’s Cruelty
  2. ‘Sister Wives Tell-All’: Robyn Is OK If Kody Brown Takes A Fifth Wife
  3. Sister Wives Preview: Kody Brown – I Did Not Choose Religion To Be A Womanizer

Teri

Posted at 8:51 PM on July 30, 2013

Everyone had better get ready because, with the gay marriage stuff going on now, polygamy will be legal, too. It is coming. Gays are going to change what marriage is…pandora’s box is open

Catryna

Posted at 5:21 AM on July 23, 2014

How damn ridiculous. Not only are you prejudice against homosexuals but you’re afraid that polygamists are going to take over the world? I’ve never heard anything this silly before in my life. All people are entitled to the right to be married (despite the fact that you believe only a man and woman should make up a marriage) and consenting adults are just that, consenting adults and are entitled to live without your judgement. There is not a single verse in the bible that says that gay marriage is against the wishes of God nor are there bible verses stating that consenting adults should be judged by you. When they meet their maker, He shall do His judging. I do believe that it’s your Bible that says, Matthew 7-1 “Judge not, lest ye be judge” and John 8-7 “Let he who is without sin among you, cast the first stone at her”… Do you read your own bible??

Linda

Posted at 10:44 AM on June 12, 2013

I agree with Beverly. Kody is a married man having affairs with three other women. Plain and simple. Also to Marcy who commented on life being much simpler without religion – true again – I encourage you to check out Christianity – I have found it to be a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, not a religion of do’s and don’ts.

beverly

Posted at 10:24 AM on March 21, 2013

I just dont understand how this is illegal. Their is no law that says people can not live together in any number. And you can have sex with whom ever you want to. The polys only “legally” marry one wife. The rest are”married” in a private ceremony and never registered as legal “wives” so how can it be illegal just because they call the other women wives?

test website

Posted at 10:45 AM on March 17, 2013

I believe this is among the most important information for me. And i’m happy studying your article. But should statement on few common issues, The site taste is great, the articles is in reality excellent : D. Excellent process, cheers

Hannah Martin

Posted at 11:54 PM on March 14, 2013

Wow, somebody really doesn’t know what they’re talking about when it comes to Joseph Smith Jr. and the original mormon church; they sad part is that people believe any source but the source.

breitling navitimer

Posted at 8:29 PM on January 1, 2013

Can I simply say what a aid to seek out someone who truly knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You positively know the right way to carry an issue to light and make it important. Extra folks need to read this and understand this facet of the story. I cant imagine youre no more widespread since you positively have the gift.

rogers3wives

Posted at 8:58 AM on January 1, 2013

wow,i wish i could try this lifestyle.
am sure it has its sensaul advantage&behavioral disadvantages too.
but all i want is 3 women that are reliable,reasonably bright,easy to get-along with,
friendly,thoughtful&natural-teamplayers.all in same house but separate wings(east wing,west wing)
its alot of responsibility to juggel but it beats boredom&certainly worth trying to please a few good women.long live happiness&the constitituion.
roger on harmonica-blues.

Tammi

Posted at 2:45 PM on December 31, 2012

I enjoy watching this show and several others on TLC. I find it interesting to learn about other religions. I to believe that people should live the life they want to. What does it matter if Meri is getting a Wet Bar, or if some of the ladies are over weight. As long as the Brown family is happy, thier children are loved and safe, and they can afford this lifestyle…it’s not anyone else’s business. The Brown’s seem to pay thier own way, not once have I heard they are on food stamps or a government program. I thank them for letting me into thier homes and sharing thier lives with me. I’m looking forward to the next season.

rogers3wives

Posted at 9:18 AM on January 1, 2013

tammin…two excellent post they are happy&healthy,thats certainly a good reason to be happy for them.but in this beautiful world we have some overstating,aggressive individuals that hate freely,
no matter the issue.but i agree with you…let them be happy with their way of life,as they are not imposing on anyone.
the more chubby gals the better.you kno people called jessica simpson fat at size 8…*?thats mean!
women would give up an arm to be size 8,now jessica is a multi-million delicious babe.
rogers harmonica blues.
great post tammin&other considerate posters.

Tammin

Posted at 4:03 AM on December 31, 2012

I dont understand the hate for these people? They are doing absolutely nothing wrong. They are all grown consenting adults, and they have happy healthy children. How does their life affect yours in any way shape or form? If you dont like them dont watch their show. Hating on them does nothing for your life except waste it. Move on people.

facts

Posted at 1:11 AM on December 31, 2012

Let’s get some facts straight….the early settlers to include joe smith himself married wives who were 12-14 years old…this was the birth of the mormon cult…

freedom

Posted at 1:01 AM on December 31, 2012

Being the open minded plig family shouldn’t they accept the fact that not everyone will accept the pervert who married a shiny new skinny woman because of the older, overweight wives he was stuck with.

jw

Posted at 11:49 PM on December 30, 2012

Kody, buddy, the tin man called. He wants the straw man to return. Cut the hair…..

Mrs. Jones

Posted at 11:48 PM on December 30, 2012

I have been watching your show and I dont believe in Polygamist but I do believe ypu have the right to live your lifes the way you want. Im not judging yall for your choices thats between yall and the God. I can see how all the wives fit into your life Kody but I dont see how Janelle dits into your family. I would truely like to know how Kody met her and what he see in her besides being the mother of his childrens.

agreed

Posted at 1:07 AM on December 31, 2012

Agreed, jonelle is 125lb overweight…and clearly with what he chose in robyn..that skinny tight little bod, and the low down comments he made to christene about being a fatty, kody is a dog and believe me…no matter what he tries to claim in the future…he is turned off by chubbies, and prefers sexy women.

TrueBlueGirl

Posted at 6:36 PM on December 30, 2012

As I watched this episode, I was struck by many innacuracies about Mormonism. The “Mormon” tour guide was a joke. As a Mormon who’s ancestors joined the church in the 1830s, I have read, studied and lived Mormonism my entire life. Mormonism was not founded BY polygamists. No one asks your religious affiliation in Nauvoo at official church sites before granting you entrance. If, as has been mentioned, the museum is not owned by the LDS Church, why was this not made clear in the episode, as well as in the numerous articles about it which condemn Mormons? I have many, many polygamist ancestors, who chose to follow the direction of their church leaders when polygamy was ended. I find it interesting that society is eager to believe any negative information about the LDS people, but don’t have the gumption to find out for themselves what the truth is from the church or its members. While the Brown Family seem to be good people, it is sad that they tend to put a negative spin on the LDS Church and its members, even while they display uniquely LDS emblems in their homes (such as the Salt Lake Temple). That seems a bit offensive and hypocritical to me.

KH

Posted at 7:24 AM on January 8, 2013

You are a complete idiot! The tour guide has a degree in church history went on the “church” wagon trains and is a historian. Maybe you should watch it again!!! I will let you in on a little secret… They were not the only people that were denied entrance to the museum! Not only that, but he made it obvious that he was a Mormon. He is a direct descendant of Brigham Young, and he had the lady fired because of what she did. He ALWAYS makes sure his facts are accurate. He knows absolutely everything there is to know about that little town and has a deep appreciation for HIS religion and every other religion. I HIGHLY recommend using him as a guide. You need to go back and watch the show again and get your facts straight. I guarantee absolutely everything he said was documented. Stop being an ignorant fool and thinking that you know it all. When you spend 20yrs just finding facts out then let’s talk! Oh ya, did I mention that HE is the one the LDS church goes to for facts on anything having to do with that era? There is so much I could and should blast you with, but your just a little know it all that didn’t do their homework!!!

Hannah Martin

Posted at 11:59 PM on March 14, 2013

thank you! I’m glad someone knows the facts.

Vivian Eliza Reed (@ReptarsMom)

Posted at 3:40 AM on July 28, 2013

My guess is that the museum officials surmised that the TV show would paint the LDS church in a negative light and therefore wouldn’t let these public figures and their cameras inside. Of course they aren’t checking religions at the door. They’re playing up the irony by summarizing the story so that it sounds like the church was “founded by polygamists.” Unfortunately, it’s more about making an interesting TV show than presenting real facts (on The Learning Channel).

Lilly

Posted at 6:15 PM on December 30, 2012

I’m all for, live and let live, and if this type of life is what they want, then great. But, Meri, needs help, as all she does is cry. On every episode, Mari is crying, and the rest are so depressed & sad, so I guess my question is, Where is the joy in this life style? Kind of pathetic I think.

Ange

Posted at 11:33 AM on December 30, 2012

The people at the museum are hypocrites. The Mormon church was founded by polygamists, it doesn’t matter if they don’t allow it now, the people who are being talked about in the museum were polygamists,plain and simple. So don’t be hypocrites in blocking a polygamist family from wanting to explore their history!

Joseph's Nauvoo

Posted at 3:04 PM on December 30, 2012

Hey Angie, I know it’s heartbreaking that people can be bigoted about others religious beliefs, but the Kibbe Hancock Heritage Museum has no connection with any of the faith traditions that trace back to Joseph Smith. They are actually a private organization like a local historical society. That being said, the person who made that decision is no longer at the museum, and I suspect that if the Browns came back to Carthage, they would be most welcome to have their televised tour. If you would like to take a peak at their wonderful collection, and thus why I wanted to show it off, click on kibbe.wordpress.com

TAG

Posted at 7:22 PM on December 29, 2012

I don’t understand what all of this is about the story was told and clearly detailed on this site what truely happened this show does not make me think one way or the other about the religious aspect of their life but amazed how well they manage plural marriage and all the needs of such a large family. Last time I checked this country has freedom of religion whatever that may be of each individual. We have so many more things in this country to worrry about than this conversation like why a semi automatic weapon ended up in the hands of a mentally handicapped person!

Karol

Posted at 3:07 PM on December 28, 2012

How about those women get a clue. On the episode where the children went to help the organization for abused polygamist families one of the wives is sitting there crying going i didn’t know men could be like that. Where has she lived under a rock? And doesn’t she have a girl? She is stupid and out of touch tell her to look at the news, pick up a paper or something and get her head out of the sand.

Audrey

Posted at 10:35 AM on December 27, 2012

I want to throw out a comment to echo what Joseph’s Nauvoo stated — my family has lived in Hancock County since the pioneer days, and while we are not Mormon (most in the area are not), we spend a lot of time in Nauvoo and have always enjoyed the Mormon history there. After we watched the episode, an old neighbor lady who is familiar with the museum to me said, “Well, did it ever occur to them that maybe the director didn’t want 17 kids running around that little museum?” Now that may not really have been the only factor at play, but you get the idea — that kind of thing is edited to convey the message that the production company is after. Can’t believe everything you hear on TV.

jw

Posted at 11:51 PM on December 30, 2012

Well said, “they didn’t see the forest for the trees”.

Joseph's Nauvoo

Posted at 6:20 PM on December 26, 2012

Thanks for the article, Bonnie! There is more to this story than time would allow in the episode. As Kim mentioned above, it was the Kibbe Hancock Heritage Museum, and, while it is across the street from the Historic Carthage Jail, owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the museum has no religious affiliation whatsoever. The then-director of the museum refused to allow any filming inside the building because, as she stated to me, what the Browns are doing, “is against the law! And it’s against the tenets of your church!” Those were her words to me. When I mentioned that they were not members of my church (and thus not subject to its tenets), she simply reiterated that they would not be allowed to do a televised tour. As an update, the then-director is no longer working at the museum, and people of all faiths, creeds, races, sexual preferences and orientations are allowed to tour the wonderful exhibits at the Kibbe. Not only do they have a great collection of Mormon-related items, but they have an astounding Abraham Lincoln exhibit!

Kim

Posted at 2:25 AM on December 26, 2012

They were NOT refused entry at a “Mormon Museum”. They were refused entry at a PRIVATE museum that may have been owned or run by a Mormon, but it was NOT an official museum of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It was the Kibbe Hancock Heritage Museum across the street from Carthage Jail. Please be honest about what really happened.

BD

Posted at 5:02 PM on December 25, 2012

The article and episode was very heavy handed on polygamy. Polygamy was introduce a decade after the church was founded. The Mormons were kicked out of NY, Ohio and Missouri long before Smith took additional wives. And it really didn’t take hold churchwide until after the migration to Utah. The tour guide hinted that polygamy was only one of many issues, and that’s true, but I understand why they only emphasized (and still emphasize) polygamy. But the bigger issue was slavery, voting blocs and Mormons who “welcomed free negros to settle with them” as the Missouri extermination order says (and not a word about polygamy).

TiffanyWA

Posted at 2:16 PM on December 25, 2012

Definitely disappointed in the false information in this post and with that episode! They were not killed for polygamy nor were they refused entry just for that reason. I’m sure more of it had to do with the cameras, as those tours are open for members and non-members alike. The portrayal of Joseph Smith was grossly inadequate and polygamy was abolished BY the Mormon church, not because it became illegal. Any practicing members from that point on we’re excommunicated for not following church doctoring – it has nothing to do with what is legal or not. I do enjoy your page but definitely not happy with the inaccuracies here.

tvjunkie

Posted at 7:16 AM on December 26, 2012

Church doctoring lol, that about sums it up doesn’t it. Perhaps you meant church doctrine, but your version is much more accuate to how the mormon religion works.

NYC

Posted at 12:14 PM on December 25, 2012

I found a lot of false things in your story about Mormonism. I am a Mormon and they were not lynched and killed because of polygamy. The reason they were directed by God to have multiple wives was because of the men to women ratio and the fact that several men would leave to preach about Mormonism so it was more essentially to help raise the children. I love reading all your stories posted, but I am a little disappointed that the true information that is so easily accessible was not used here in this story.

Ken Dahl

Posted at 1:49 PM on December 25, 2012

Your story about polygamy is just as biased as the Brown’s. Polygamy was still being practiced quietly by church leaders well into the 1900’s. 1890 became the defining moment when Utah wanted to join the Union. Mormons would be practicing polygamy today if it wasn’t illegal.

jw

Posted at 11:53 PM on December 30, 2012

Are you referencing the internet as” easily accessible truth”?

daniel kane

Posted at 7:51 PM on December 24, 2012

Ill bet that there was more to the story than was reported from that side. IF they were denied entry let the person who made that decision explain why. The one side presented seemed totally out of character for a Navoo tour guide.

MARCY

Posted at 12:19 PM on January 17, 2013

Religion bringing out the best in everyone, once again.lol. LIFE IS MUCH SIMPLER WITH OUT IT.