Adam Lanza’s Body Remains Unclaimed

Sat, December 22, 2012 8:44am EDT by 151 Comments
Adam Lanza Body
Courtesy Photo, LinkedIn

Michelle

Posted at 2:23 AM on January 17, 2013

Throw his body in the dump and let him decay and the birds peck at his dead body. He doesnt deserve the decency of burial or cremation, those cost too much. Hes def not worth the price of a funeral either. Hell why not flatten his body with a stone crusher and blow it to pieces..I dont blame that anyone hasnt come forward, If it were my son, I wouldnt… I would just say donate his body to science or something.

wjwoodward

Posted at 9:41 AM on January 1, 2013

Well, first of all the remains may not have been released by the coroner/medical examiner until very recently. It is hardly uncommon in cases like this that there is a delay. In any sudden and violent death an autopsy is mandatory, given the number of deaths Adam’s autopsy may have been left for last.

Another possible reason, which one can hardly argue with, is that perhaps the family needed time to deal with this tragedy, bury Nancy Lanza. Does the family have to RUSH to get this done, just to prove to people that have absolutely no involvement or degree of relationship that the kid wasn’t abandoned? Give yourselves a shake! They have the right to do things at their own chosen pace or not at all should they see fit. Who are you to judge them?

Posted at 12:41 PM on December 31, 2012

How ironic… so either the family was shamed, or a good samaritan paid to have this chapter of a horrific story closed…

John Henry

Posted at 6:42 AM on December 31, 2012

Well, apparently the body has been claimed by person or persons unnamed and the arrangements are not public. The story was released this morning.

John Henry

Posted at 7:42 AM on December 31, 2012

Probably this was the family, or someone acting at their behest. An attorney acting on behalf of the executor for Nancy Lanza’s estate, Adam’s brother Ryan, Peter Lanza, his father or another unnamed friend or relative. The reports say the body was claimed several days ago, the delay in release of the information likely to prevent unwanted publicity.

Kay

Posted at 6:08 PM on December 30, 2012

His father helped bring his son into this world and it is his responsibility to step up and see that his son’s body is picked up and buried or cremated. Most likely there are those who would help ensure that he could do so discretely and privately.

wjwoodward

Posted at 10:02 AM on January 1, 2013

Sorry, but you are wrong on that point Kay. The fact is that nobody, parent or not, is responsible for another adult. Who are you to judge? First of all he was divorced from Adam’s mother, lived in another state as did Adam’s older brother Ryan. Adam had little or no contact with his fater since the divorce (do you know why?). Maybe you think his older brother should be reponsible too? This is the real world, law say he’s not responsible so who are you to say different? I wouldn’t claim his body either if it were up to me.

owainglyndwr1416

Posted at 3:53 PM on December 30, 2012

Is there a body to collect ?? Nancy was buried in an undisclosed cemetery WHY ? Wasn’t she innocent of a crime ? Was there even a Nancy ? You only have to look at the behavior of Ryan ..He is not coming across as even related so it begs the question Were these people actors ? The reason why i ask is the burial of the victims raises many questions Emilie Parker, 6, was laid to rest in the northern Utah city of Ogden .. How many miles away from Conn is Utah ?? Doesn’t that strike you as odd ?

Posted at 4:57 PM on December 30, 2012

Let me see 1416. I’m hopeful that at this writing Adam’s body has been buried/cremated. Nancy’s remains were discreetly claimed by the family and she had a funeral in N. Hampshire w/ a few them in attendance. Some blame Nancy for knowing Adam was mentally ill and therefore should not have provided lessons and access to weapons. The family didn’t want her grave desecrated…thus unknown..unmarked. Emilie Parker’s family moved to CT they were originally from Utah. So I’m not thinking conspiracy..

owainglyndwr1416

Posted at 6:06 PM on December 30, 2012

Lee Harvey Oswald’s grave.Rose Hill Memorial Park.Fort Worth. Maybe if he shot up a School he would’ve been buried in an unmarked grave or dumped in the Ocean like Bin Laden.. It’s bogus.. The whole convoluted story is nonsense .. Did you forget the AR-15 was still in the Trunk of the Car Lanza allegedly drove to the School ? 4 Hand Guns were found in the School and the Pathologist said most if not all were killed with a Rifle.. Do a little research and you try to make sense of this obvious conspiracy to disarm America ..

wjwoodward

Posted at 9:47 AM on January 1, 2013

Good Lord, I certainly hope you’re not a gun owner. Clearly your elevator doesn’t go all the way to the top floor either. Hopefully, if you are a gun owner somebody will find a way to disarm you before it’s too late.

Posted at 10:30 AM on January 1, 2013

wjwoodward…Who me a gun owner? Not in my home.. too many children in and out. I’m trying to figgur out what I said so outlandish?? I was responding to individ that believed this tragedy was one huge conspiracy astutely planned by no doubt Pres. Obama.

Kay

Posted at 6:03 PM on December 30, 2012

Emilie Parker was buried in Ogden, Utah because that is where she lived prior to her family moving to Connecticut. They had only lived in Connecticut for a very short time and most likely have other family members buried in Ogden, Utah. That makes perfect sense and is not unusual at all for families to take loved ones back “home” to be buried.

John Henry

Posted at 7:38 AM on December 31, 2012

Waste your time elsewhere, please.

Rob Re

Posted at 3:16 PM on December 30, 2012

The father wants nothing to do with the final claming and burial of his own flesh and blood just shows the disconnect between him and adam and his other son ryan. Seems the whole family was in denial of the whole situation and just wanted to keep it under wraps. Peter lanza is probally trying to lay low as much as he can to not jeopardize his highly lucrative position at GE.

Dalziel

Posted at 9:56 PM on December 29, 2012

I don’t think anyone wants to admit to claiming his body, but someone should see to his burial. It can’t stay where ever it is now forever. It should be buried by a family member discreetly, without anyone knowing when or definitely without knowledge of the location. I think for his tombstone, I would just mark the date of birth and date of death and maybe initials. Everyone, even someone as evil as he was, needs to be buried or cremated. I think cremation is right for this devil, but something must be done with the body. At some point, I would think it would become mandatory.

Crystal Locke

Posted at 11:16 PM on December 28, 2012

WTH is wrong with Adams Dad not claiming is own sons body!!!! Get some “balls” Dad!!!!!!!!!!

Posted at 11:37 PM on December 28, 2012

I’d like to believe at this late date Adam Lanza isn’t still in the city morgue.

Jazz diva

Posted at 3:03 PM on December 29, 2012

WTH, is wrong with you? If I was stupid, negligent, sorry enough to be the other half of Adams parents, I wouldn’t claim his body either! My Lord! They let him basically run amok in this city, BOTH OF THEM selfishly living their own lives instead of tending to their crazy son. I wouldn’t claim his body either.

Posted at 3:29 PM on December 29, 2012

Jazz Diva…For the sake of debate let’s say the scenario you present is accurate. I think you’re obligated to dispose of your son’s remains. In your own words you’ve admitted ” I was stupid, negligent, sorry enough to be the other half of Adams parents”. So since the residents of Newtown were the beneficiary of the evil this person you bore bestowed upon them, why must they also bare the cost of doing whatever w/ his remains? Especially when the parent left behind is a high level executive at GE w/ the ability to pay $200k+ yr. in alimony.

Jazz diva

Posted at 5:43 PM on December 29, 2012

You’re right, but I would not PHYSICALLY claim it. I would pay for someone to pick up the body, and cremate it, or something.

Posted at 5:52 PM on December 29, 2012

and that’s the point Jazz Diva.. Nobody goes to the morgue and physically claims a body. You call a funeral director and he/she will follow your instructions.. all they want is to get paid. Actually, I believe the morgue could handle also and then bill. So that’s the reason some of us are p/oed w/ the family. The same way family had someone quietly remove Nancy’s body similar could have been done for their son, brother, grndson, nephew, cousin. Not one member in the entire family wants to provide closure to this part of the story?

Dalziel

Posted at 9:59 PM on December 29, 2012

The father didn’t even live with them. It was just his mother and I heard she was planning on moving and admitting him to a mental facility thus causing him to flip out. Along with the fact he felt she cared more about her school kids than she did him. Since one can’t claim his body (she’s dead thanks to him), it looks like no one else is going to step up to the plate either, but someone has to at some point.

mad mom

Posted at 5:47 PM on December 29, 2012

would u want to claim him after what he did??? i would leave his body there to rot….

Posted at 6:01 PM on December 29, 2012

W/O hesitation. If my published apology was sincere… then I wouldn’t want the residents of CT pay to have my murderous beyond evil son cremated and disposed. Especially since I bear the responsibility of neglect.. All of this could be done confidentially. As wealthy as Dad is.. if I were him.. I’d volunteer to pay for all the burial expenses of the victims. Hell he doesn’t have to pay Nancy 200k a year in spousal support.

roxanne

Posted at 1:58 AM on December 28, 2012

he should get burried what the hell, he was a victim too. I would of gone to his funeral. yes he did someting bad but he should get burried as well. roxanne parga :) that my name he should too.

Joe

Posted at 10:54 PM on December 27, 2012

Where’s the nearest landfill?

Matt L

Posted at 10:02 PM on December 27, 2012

To anyone who says “he still deserves to be buried, laid to rest, etc”:

What is wrong with you??? Apparently you don’t have children… I don’t care how messed up or what kind of disorder this lowlife child killing scum had, he should be burned and his remains should be placed behind the walls of a prison – that should be his “resting place” – Well that and deepest pits of hell.

I don’t blame the Dad or brother for not claiming the remains… I wouldn’t want to be affiliated or have any connection to this piece of garbage. Honestly, if that was my kid I’d be contemplating suicide.

roxanne

Posted at 2:00 AM on December 28, 2012

still he should get burried as well no matter what!!

jw

Posted at 12:04 AM on December 29, 2012

Adam was a victim just like the others. A victim of his mother’s poor judgement. She was slow to seek help for his mental illness. She made the mistake of showing him how to shoot. She made the mistake of not properly securing her firearms. Her poor judgement resulted in the deaths of 20 small children and 6 women, not including herself. I am just as surprised his father has not stepped up to the plate. We have not seen the father since the tragedy. He bailed out with his lady friend, not to be seen or heard from since. Where is the press when you need them???

Jazz diva

Posted at 2:57 PM on December 29, 2012

I agree, the father was part of the problem. Even if Adam refused to see him, HE had an obligation toske sure Adam was being taken care of properly, as well as what Adam was doing in his life. He failed to do that, and as a result, unspeakable horror ensued. They ARE BOTH to blame, she just paid the ultimate price. As a parent you do NOTshow your som who is prone to violence HOW to SHOOT a gun, and you SURE AS HELL DON’T leave the gun cabinet unlocked! And thirdly, you don’t tell him that you are planning to have him committed,.

Dalziel

Posted at 10:10 PM on December 29, 2012

Don’t go and kill yourself if you were related to him. Wouldn’t you think he had caused enough damage? What would that solve? I am sure his family is not proud of what he did and is still in shock but the fact remains something has to be done with the body. Someone has to claim the body and take care of the remains. Cremation, I think, fits the best for him. Prisons are too crowded but I wouldn’t want to infect trash dumps with the likes of his remains either. How would you like to be his father and be in this predicament? I have to feel sorry for the family to have to have this burden on their shoulders.

Mellissa Bond

Posted at 11:45 PM on December 26, 2012

Maybe, just maybe the Lanzas could have the decency to bury Adam, and Nancy and maybe even have offered to cover any costs of the victims burials. Im just appalled at the carelessness of these people collectively.

Posted at 10:49 AM on December 27, 2012

I agree Melissa. They claimed Nancy’s body and left Adam. Hey no matter what he belongs to them..at least dear ole Dad. My family member WE would bury if for no other reason but the optics. However kinda gives us a glimpse into the Lanza family dynamics. Treating Adam same way in death as they did in life.

NR

Posted at 6:41 PM on December 26, 2012

I DO NOT WISH THIS MONSTER PEACE. I WISH FOR HIM TO SUFFER IN HELL FOR WHAT HE DID TO THOSE LITTLE BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN. HIS BODY SHOULD BE TOSSED SOMEWHERE LIKE GARBAGE BECAUSE THAT’S HOW HE TREATED ALL THOSE PEOPLE AS GARBAGE.

wh

Posted at 10:54 PM on December 27, 2012

I agree with you. He had mental illness and I am sure he was an angry person. If he was my child I would bury him. I wish there was somewhere to place the mentally ill. Got bless the children.

jane doe

Posted at 9:26 AM on December 26, 2012

Cremation and tossed in a field. If that had been my relative, why would I want my $$$ on a burial, for someone who obviously didn’t care about himself or others.

The father has no legal obligation to bury an adult child. Plenty of estranged substance abusers/alcoholics get buried on the state dime, because the families have cut the ties years ago.

Having to track down next of kin, who do not want to be found, is such a pain.

John Henry

Posted at 1:20 PM on December 25, 2012

Regal, the state cannot lawfully force such action unless by the terms of the divorce decree Mr. Lanza was obligated to provide that service at his expense. Earlier reports specified the father agreed to provide payment for medical insurance and college fees, but those do not ordinarily include funeral services. Legally, Adam was an independent adult even when in practical terms he was not employed (nor likely employable) nor fit to live independently. He was apparently not resolved to change those circumstances. In fact it was necessary for his mother to secure a judgement of conservatorship to be able to compel Adam to undergo treatment if he was unwilling to do so. This last issue was apparently a source of significant contention between Adam and Nancy Lanza in the days prior to the murders and is speculated to be a motive for the rampage.

Posted at 1:33 PM on December 25, 2012

So what you’re saying is that it’s quite possible the taxpayers of CT may end up paying for the disposal of Adam’s remains. (GASP and WOW!!!).

John Henry

Posted at 1:40 PM on December 25, 2012

Exactly, just as would be the case for any other adult died of any cause.

victoriasueno

Posted at 5:28 AM on December 26, 2012

“Disposal”? Adam Lanza may have been a monster in his final hours of life, but isn’t a piece of trash or an empty soda can. Disposal is not an appropriate word. He’s still a human and deserves a burial.

Posted at 11:29 AM on December 26, 2012

Victoriasueno, disposal means to “get rid of”. So let me be clear about what I meant.. Adam Lanza s/b cremated and whatever is done w/ unclaimed ashes his final resting place. I’m hard pressed to feel a whole lot of sympathy for Adam Lanza, although I know it takes a really tormented soul to follow through on such heinous acts…. But I’m haunted by those beautiful faces. I thought about them and their families on Xmas. So if asked I’ll bet 10 to 1 the residents of Newtown would prefer their tax dollars bury the indigent drug abuser/alcoholic over baby killer Adam Lanza. Peter Lanza is an extremely wealthy man, considering the pain HIS SON has caused a nation the very least HE can do is pay to have him cremated. Just maybe perhaps if Mr. Lanza and older brother Ryan hadn’t left Adam w/ only his mom and the demons that plagued him, they wouldn’t be suffering such humiliation. Adam Lanza deliberately placed Ryan Lanza’s id. on himself which spoke volumes…

victoriasueno

Posted at 7:25 PM on December 27, 2012

Thanks for the clarification. I completely agree with you. It was the use of the word disposal that skewed what I thought you meant.
Thanks for the clarification.

Posted at 11:27 AM on December 25, 2012

The state of CT, MUST force the Father to claim his son’s remains and any subsequent charges incurred. Surely insult should not be added to the grievious injury thrust upon the citizens of Newtown by using their tax dollars to bury/creamate Adam Lanza.. The thought gives me chills….

Mandy Jones

Posted at 9:31 AM on December 25, 2012

I hope his father and brother quietly claim the body of their son and brother and bury him where no one knows. So that the crazies cannot desecrate his grave. If the family of at least one of the victims can respect the Lanza family’s right to grieve, then who are the nuts who post on social media to judge the family. RIP all the victims and Adam and his mum.

wh

Posted at 10:35 PM on December 27, 2012

Posted at 3:29 PM on December 24, 2012

Here in the problem lies… At the very least HIS FATHER could have him cremated or buried in an unmarked grave. The dad and the rest of his family ALLOWED this young man to distance himself. For 2 years Dad and the brother hadn’t seen him. They weren’t that far away.. NJ. Adam was envious of those kids and the love he witnessed, he wanted to hurt them and the adults that loved them. I believe he spared his mother the shame and vicious taunting she would have experience alive, it was an act of love. She seemed to be the only one that cared. But he wanted his father and brother to never forget him… he’s left a generational bloodstain on the family name.

John Henry

Posted at 4:45 PM on December 26, 2012

You are badly over interpreting this event. I really doubt his murder of his mother was any act of “love.” If there is a rational explanation, it was angry retribution for her plans to have him committed to treatment if he did not voluntarily elect to admit himself. The murder of the children may well have been retribution for their being rivals for his mother’s attentions, but we will never really know that answer unless Adam left some illuminating information on one of his computers. Somehow I doubt he had that much insight.

Audra

Posted at 12:35 PM on December 24, 2012

I belive the family should donate His body, maybe it can help others with mental illness, maybe other things as well.

Gi Rip

Posted at 2:52 PM on December 27, 2012

That would be perfect; I can’t imagine his family would want not claim his body, not even his brother. I tried putting myself in their shoes and the thought of having to admit relation to someone like that is sickening.

Jody Luv

Posted at 8:54 AM on December 24, 2012

It’s very sad the whole thing, I can understand why the family hadn’t claim this boy!! The state should have just went ahead and burned him again. But the mother i really feel sorry for !! Sad day when your Father or Brother want claim you… Not saying anything bad about these guys, I undersatnd

owainglyndwr1416

Posted at 8:04 PM on December 23, 2012

Reminds me when no-one in Osama Bin Laden’s family tried to claim his Body/Ghost.. (Dec 2001 Shhhhh)

I’ve never seen a case with so many inconsistencies apart from the Nuremberg MIT ..

Brent

Posted at 8:02 PM on December 23, 2012

He doesn’t deserve a funeral. Let him rot in a ditch somewhere.

Andrea Morris

Posted at 6:54 PM on December 23, 2012

*I don’t blame anyone for not claiming the body. If he were my family member I wouldn’t claim it either!!!!! He should rot in hell!!

Nicole Norris

Posted at 4:44 PM on December 23, 2012

I really hope this is NOT true. Yes what he did is horrific and unimaginable however he WAS someone’s son, brother, family…they had to love him, at some point! yes people can change and turn for the worse if he had some kind of mental disability then it was not his fault…he needed help and it wasn’t given to him. He still deserves to be laid to rest, whether it be cremation or burial that should be the families’ decision, however that being said “GO get your son and brother please!” Perhaps he felt all alone while he was alive I don’t know, I’m not privy to your lives, however the way the picture has been painted is that it looks like that may have been the case, and that is just so sad. ALL the families are in my prayers and that mean’s Adam’s family as well, they are victims in this all also and I am so sorry for all you are dealing with also. May God bless you.

Debbie

Posted at 11:43 PM on December 23, 2012

i know and feel as you do… sooooo Soooooo glad you said it …..that boy…. the son…. and brother of somebody!!!needs and desreved to be buried and lsid to rest!!!

glenna

Posted at 8:28 AM on December 24, 2012

Adam Lanza was a victim within himself obviously he didn’t get the help he desperately needed for his mental disorder—so hard for society to understand. Obviously, Adam was in some kind of pain and torment a prisoner of himself to do a horrible crime. I dont’ know his family can
memoralize anyone like this. My heart goes out to Ryan and his father Peter whatever burial decision they make for their brother and son is their business.

LeeAnna

Posted at 12:02 PM on December 24, 2012

I feel the same way..what he did was horrific, but he was a very troubled and disturbed young man who needed help that was failed to him…His friends from school had said ” he was a nice kid,” ..Something went wrong along his way and I feel for his soul…To his father/brother claim your SON/Brother don’t fail him in death as you did in life…..There are many victims in this horrendous tragedy, May god bless all those innocents lost at Sandyhook school my prayers are with you all …And Adam Lanza may you find peace finally that you did not have here

Scott

Posted at 4:15 PM on January 14, 2013

Let the maggots eat him…he doesnt even deserve that