Cassadee Pope Lied For Sympathy Votes, Says Her Father

Thu, December 20, 2012 7:32pm EDT by 61 Comments
Cassadee Pope Father
Courtesy of NBC

‘The Voice’ winner is a phony, according to her father. Lenny Pope says Cassadee’s sob story about being abandoned was all a ploy to get more votes and win the singing competition. How scandalous!

Cassadee Pope is riding high after becoming the first female winner of The Voice on Dec. 18. But her newfound happiness may be short lived, as her estranged father Lenny Pope is making some pretty outrageous allegations about her. He says that his “heart ripped right out of my chest” when he heard Cassadee say that she was abandoned by him, and he thinks she was “manipulated” by NBC to make the show more interesting. Read on to hear what else he had to say.

LENNY’S CLAIMS

Cassadee was the favorite to win The Voice for a long time, and she and her mentor Blake Shelton rejoiced when she won the coveted record contract. But not everyone is happy for Cassadee, as her father Lenny has slammed claims that she was abandoned by him, and he says that she owes her success to him.

“I was the one that supported her from the start,” Lenny tells Star. “Who do you think paid for Cassadee’s voice lessons? Private school? Instruments? Who drove her to competitions, talent contests, talent shows and paid for gas money and hotels? My ex-wife was a stay-at-home mom  – I paid for all of it. I worked 22 hours a day, seven days a week for nine years. I was a pastry chef, and the hours were long.”

“My wife and girls did their thing and had fun, and I worked. I broke my neck working to support them, and this is what I get?” continues Lenny.

And Lenny says that he was the one to encourage Cassadee to try out for a televised singing competition. “I told her to do American Idol right after Kelly Clarkson [won], but she said she didn’t want to be part of reality TV. I couldn’t understand why.”

Lenny doesn’t blame Cassadee entirely for suggesting he was a deadbeat dad, instead he blames the higher powers: “I feel like NBC manipulated what Cassadee said to make me out to be terrible.” Lenny has plans to sue NBC for defamation of character. And while he is angry about the situation, he insists that he “loves” Cassadee.

Lenny makes some very controversial and outrageous statements, and he seems very bitter about how he has been portrayed. Is Cassadee a fake, or is he just lashing out?

What do YOU think HollywoodLifers? Is Cassadee a phony, or is her dad just bitter?

WATCH: Cassadee Pope Wins The Voice Season 3 – Plus Season 4 Preview! ENTV

– Eleanore Hutch

More Cassadee Pope News:

1. Blake Shelton Ready To Be ‘The Bad Guy’ To Protect Cassadee Pope
  2. Adam Levine: ‘Voice’ Winner Cassadee Pope Should Release A Song Now
  3. Cassadee Pope: Thought I Would Be Eliminated From ‘The Voice’

JJSmithy

Posted at 2:49 PM on June 8, 2014

As the child of divorced parents. I find myself wondering who initiated the Pope divorce, because here is the honest to God truth… It is always, always, the woman who makes the initial move. Did Lenny accept the paper of divorce from his Ex? Did he try to fight the divorce?
In all honesty, my little Sister (who was only 16 at the time of my parents divorce) thought the same thing, she thought that our Father had walked out on her, that he didn’t love her anymore. but my Pa wouldn’t even sign the papers that my Mother served him, and she didn’t even tell him that she was serving him. she just had someone bring him an envelope, hand it to my Pa and then tell him he had been served. It’s like REALLY!!
So come now all you Lenny Pope haters, maybe you have it all wrong. Maybe it is actually his Ex that is to blame here, eh?

JK

Posted at 4:59 PM on April 27, 2014

EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO HER SONG 11 BY HER!!!!! IT MIGHT BE BASED ON HER LIFE TIME……….

sal

Posted at 8:54 PM on November 6, 2013

So dad thinks if he comes out and says he didn’t abandoned her, that we are suppose to believe him? What makes him credible? And she owes her success to him? Why did he do the singing for her? She owes him nothing!

kevin w

Posted at 3:42 AM on October 20, 2013

What a piece of garbage her dad really is……his true colors came out when he said anything to hurt his daughters career…..what a looser!!!

nathan

Posted at 11:59 AM on October 18, 2013

i belive any body that can sing like that why would they lie i think shes awsome and sings like a brid some times we have to face the truth and some times it hurts and some times we react to the truth in a bad way because the truth dose hurt shes great and very beautiful and i bet every magazine wants her on there cover to shes just beautiful:):)

Meghan

Posted at 10:14 AM on September 30, 2013

she’s said it even when she was in hey monday that her dad wasn’t really around growing up…..So it’s not like it’s a story she just started creating during the Voice

vince

Posted at 6:29 AM on September 30, 2013

22 hours a day for 7 years cmon now

Allegra Agenda

Posted at 10:22 PM on October 11, 2013

22 hours 7 days a week for 9 years… He sounds a little like a liar or an insomniac!

Nelson

Posted at 7:19 PM on September 7, 2013

I believe the network encouraged it, they do all the time. ITs good for ratings. Facts are facts, he says he paid for the lessons and the instruments, competitions, etc. If his wife was a stay at home mom, THEN ITS TRUE! PERIOD. Stay at home moms dont make a pay check, so eventhough I dont know this family, this part of the story must be true, in which case this girl is a LOSER for saying this about her father

CommonSense

Posted at 10:18 PM on October 17, 2013

not technically. There’s plenty of ways to make money at home especially now. That being said he probably did pay for everything. That doesn’t mean that he was there for her growing up or that he didn’t abandon her when she needed a dad. Me uncle paid for half of his kids stuff growing up…but he was still an a-hole who walked out on them when they were little and only paid what he did because the court required him to. We don’t know whats happened to her family, we shouldn’t judge.

Mark

Posted at 7:46 PM on October 24, 2013

Excuse me, a father that works all the time to support his daughters dreams of becoming a famous music artist is not a dead beat or a lier. My father was not there for me growing up cuz he worked all the time 15 hours a day 6 days a week. Her father is a hero, so what if he wasn’t around she had her mother and he kept them living comfy in Wellington Florida a very nice area in west palm beach he has every right to be bitter and say what he said, and like mentioned above they do this stuff all the time for ratings…

Meghan

Posted at 12:52 PM on August 24, 2013

he’s just bitter…. I mean, we all know T.V. show’s edit what you say, but NBC’s lawyers are pretty smart so I’m sure they wouldn’t make something up completely just to boost ratings and garner sympathy… On top of that, as i recall she didn’t say anything about him being a deadbeat, she just said something to the effect of feeling like he wasn’t there for her.. A person can be in your life u but feel like they’re not there for you trust me i know the feeling, and it sounds like they were barely talking so the relationship was obviously strained and I think that’s all she was trying to say on the show was that they had a very strained if not non existent relationship & she was sad about it….

Johnny pope

Posted at 1:12 PM on August 19, 2013

Lenny is full of crap he left our family also he is selfish

Nelson

Posted at 7:24 PM on September 7, 2013

The question is did he pay for the lessons and for the instruments and gas and the hotels to attend competitions, as a musician I can tell you those expieriences create an amount of growth that just wont happen unless you take part in those expieriences. If he did pay for all that stuff as he claims, I would suggest she thank her lucky stars to have a dad who gave a crap. I have seen a talented individual who’s dad just didnt care and today that individual works for the post office. Dont fool yourself, she could have ended up with the same fate if her dad had not stepped up an pay for all that as he claims

Chad VanLoo

Posted at 9:29 PM on October 9, 2013

if he worked 22 hrs a day 7 days a week , he wasnt around , not to mention the physical illnesses that would have cause , but how would he have been doing all this for her , money can buy whatever , but it dont make you a parent/father and its not love

Lonny

Posted at 12:21 PM on June 30, 2013

I would wonder if it was a lie, how good was the father-daughter relationship before she won vs after she won

Tabby

Posted at 9:47 PM on June 4, 2013

He worked 22 hours a day? 7days a week? For 9 years? First off thats impossible!! Secondly, if you are working all but 14 hours a week- when do you sleep? When in 9 years did you see your child to parent her or encourage her? Your own statements pretty much amount to being abandoned-MORON!!! Parents are required to pay child support all the time but it doesnt mean they are parenting because they paying it. I hate this guy. What kind of POS gets in front of reporters to hash out details like this? And if he blamed nbc instead of her… Why bad mouth her? A$$h0/€

Francis Slapurr

Posted at 12:39 PM on September 25, 2013

thank YOU, 22HRS a day had me rolling………………………

kay

Posted at 8:57 PM on March 4, 2013

how can u write such crap. he is a dead beat dad & proving that he is by just saying this stuff. abusive father!!!

joe

Posted at 9:08 PM on April 2, 2013

How do YOU know that either side is true? It is reality TV, which means it is all about drama and publicity. I would be willing to bet that neither side is being completely honest about the situation.

Addison B.

Posted at 9:28 PM on February 15, 2013

Stupid boy

Rebecca

Posted at 2:28 PM on February 3, 2013

Notice the dad said he did everything for NINE YEARS! So he abandoned her after she was nine. Sorry but he is bitter and she was still just a little girl.

Sara

Posted at 9:32 PM on January 31, 2013

Sounds like a deadbeat dad to me that is twisting things around. If you had to pay for things that went towards her, it doesn’t mean you were there to give her love and encouragement. For whatever reason, she felt abandoned. Why don’t you ask her about it dad, instead of acting like a 2 year old and hurting her publicly. She’s the child, you are the parent. Set the example.

leslie m.

Posted at 4:02 PM on February 11, 2013

WOW! So because his feelings were hurt, he has to publicly hurt his daughter he supposedly loves?? Sounds like to me, hes just jealous of his daughters WELL DESERVED, new found fame and wants a piece for himself. CREEP!

kay

Posted at 8:58 PM on March 4, 2013

agree!!

DJ

Posted at 5:27 AM on January 31, 2013

Paying for everything doesn’t mean you’re there for her.

Nelson

Posted at 7:33 PM on September 7, 2013

Really?? The way the music industry is today, without someone putting out money to get your career somewhere, you are getting nowhere, period. Everyone in the industry today has to make a hefty investment financially to get anywhere. She should thank the fact that her dad put up cash. I have seen talented people, more talented then her, who have asked their parents for financial support for their dreams of becoming musician, the response…….Laughter with a “shut up and stay in school” she should thank GOD for a dad that paid for all that stuff! And beg for her dads forgivness

wabasha137

Posted at 8:45 PM on October 17, 2013

You’re kind of missing the point. Anyone can write a check. If in fact he paid for that stuff(which he may well have done), good for him. But that doesn’t equate to being there for his daughter. Anyone can pay for things,