Gossip Girl’s Identity Revealed On The Series’ Final Episode

Mon, December 17, 2012 10:38pm EDT by 49 Comments 29,948 Article Views
Dan Gossip Girl
Courtesy of The CW

ashleigh

Posted at 10:02 PM on December 19, 2012

If anyone remembers the season finale of season 2, GG gives everyone a label. Dan’s label was “The Ultimate Insider” I believe the writers wrote Dan as GG from the beginning not later on in the series.

Andrew Donaldson

Posted at 8:39 AM on December 19, 2012

Televisions shows have “Bibles”, with the essential plot details of the sweep of the show written down before the pilot was filmed. Sometimes the writers of such shows get in a box, and write stuff that invalidates or changes the initial plans for a series. That seems unlikely in this case.

christina

Posted at 1:50 AM on December 19, 2012

I was close it thought it was jenny because its named was gossip girl, But Dan. Its makes sense. n

Lauren

Posted at 7:56 PM on December 18, 2012

I just went back to the first episode ever and the first time Gossip Girl said “Who am i? That’s a secret I will never tell” they putted Dan looking at the computer they tried to tell us at the begining but we just didn’t see it. They didn’t put no one else in the computer just Dan

Rachel

Posted at 7:36 PM on December 18, 2012

DAN IS GOSSIP GIRL??????????????????????????????

Haha

Posted at 6:07 PM on December 18, 2012

haha I never watched a single episodw so it doesnt natter

Olivia

Posted at 2:35 PM on December 18, 2012

As soon as it was over I turned on the Pilot episode on Netflix to see if Dan even made sense. I loved it, but was sure it was riddled with inconsistencies because they decided last season or something. But almost immediately I was like, “Oh my gosh! They knew the whole time!” First the station scene makes a whole lot more sense and the first time you hear Gossip Girl’s voice say, “And who am I? That’s a secret I’ll never tell” they immediately pan over to Dan’s face lit up by the light of his lap top which is open to the Gossip Girl page. The ultimate give away. And later in the episode Serena and Dan are rescuing Jenny from Chuck at the Kiss on the Lips party and as soon as they get there Dan suggests they split up to look and as soon as Dan leaves the scene a GG blast about Serena being there goes out.
I would obviously have to watch all 5 seasons again to check for holes and inconsistencies. But whether they were true to it or not, I do think the creators knew Dan was GG the whole time.
The biggest inconsistency is the mind blowing departure from who we thought Dan was this entire time. The sweet boy from Brooklyn who just wanted Serena would turn out to be a ruthless master manipulator and impeccable liar (after all the stuff about trust during his and Serena’s relationship) but c’mon, one thing you could never say about this TV show was that they ever kept their characters personalities consistent. Serena was all over the place,so was Blair, Lily, Eleanor, Jenny, and most noticeably Chuck who went from rapist to hero and few of us even blinked.

Danielle

Posted at 11:50 AM on December 18, 2012

1. Season 2 finally when they’re at their graduation and they get the e-blast with everyone’s label “Dan Humphrey: The ultimate insider”!

2. The pilot the first time gossip girl says “Who am I? That’s a secret i’ll never tell” They show dan in front of his computer!!

It was in front of us the ENTIRE time!!!

msms24k

Posted at 4:07 PM on December 18, 2012

So true! HAHA

jess

Posted at 10:55 AM on December 18, 2012

Dan being gossip girl is stupid! What about the episode where Jenny and Nate kiss and dan finds out opening up gossip girl?? (plus means he wasnt near them to find out) there is no way he could know half the stuff one gorrip girl as he was always with someone

Christy

Posted at 1:17 PM on December 18, 2012

Jess, people sent stuff to gossip girl (Dan) to blast on gossip girl.

clearslive

Posted at 11:02 PM on December 20, 2012

remember that Gossip Girl recieved information from everyone. Maybe was Jenny herself who sent the blast and being on the spotlight as she always wanted. Or someone saw them and told.

Amivicky

Posted at 9:59 AM on December 18, 2012

My question is…in one episode, I think in season 2, Blair said GG had been writing about them since 9th grade. Was Dan in school with them then? How would he had known what they were doing if he didn’t go to St. Jude’s until junior year?

Danii

Posted at 1:56 AM on December 19, 2012

hes been with them since he was a freshman, not junior?

Linda

Posted at 6:33 AM on December 18, 2012

OMG.Dan is the GG.I Can’t belive.Im really gona MISS GG and the characters.It’s an amaizing show.

Michelle

Posted at 2:11 AM on December 18, 2012

Great finale!! Going to miss the show though.

Noelle

Posted at 1:32 AM on December 18, 2012

Everyone here who says that it doesn’t make sense for Dan to be gossip girl is stupid.
Case# 1: When Serena first arrives from boarding school Dan saw her at the train station and it was mentioned in the GG blog. GG said “If only she knew who lonely boy was” How else would GG have known that Serena didn’t know him and that Dan was pining over her?
Case# 2: When Serena was looking for the real Gossip Girl she sent her a text to come meet her and Dan showed up.
Case# 3: When GG girl wanted her Laptop back she knew Nate and Serena’s Number and email.
Case# 4: He never posted about Georgina because she wasn’t in the in- crowd and his whole purpose was to fit in with them.
Case# 5: He also sent in the video from Blair’s wedding and posted it to stop the wedding. Then later posted that she was at the airport to stop her from leaving.
Case# 6: He describes himself as lonely boy B/c at Constance he felt alone and he wanted Serena and to be apart of her world.
Go back and look at the old episodes. I bet you’ll have your DUH moment.
Come on ppl. The signs were there from eps. 1 and clues are dropped every season.

Tash

Posted at 8:39 AM on December 18, 2012

Half the UES had Nate and Serena’s number.
Georgina didn’t go to their school so she wasn’t relevant to any gossip.
Dan sending in the video to stop the wedding makes just as much sense without him being the one hitting the “post” button. Why wouldn’t any other GG post that?
Why would Dan not want Blair leaving to get a divorce if he was in to her?

I’m not disagreeing with you I’m just saying these are poor reasons.

Christy

Posted at 1:20 PM on December 18, 2012

Noelle, I see it now! But did you?

Sammy

Posted at 1:25 AM on December 18, 2012

The only episodes I’ve watched are the ones with Hilary Duff, and the one this last season that had Dan write two versions of a story about Serena and then the bad one got published or whatever. But I have to say, for not watching the show, that episode gave the fact that Dan was GG away. Why he would pretend to be a gossiping girl is beyond stupid though.

tammy

Posted at 1:12 AM on December 18, 2012

Seriously I can care less who GG was. Am in Africa and haven’t watched the finale yet and am still not fazed about finding out the identity of GG. I’ve only watched this show exclusively because of Blair and Chuck. The show would have been the ultimate fail if they hadn’t gotten them back to gether at the end. To me they had the best chemistry I’ve seen in a long time on any show. Never cared about any other character on the show.Blair&Chuck made up GG to me. Would have still watched if they were the only castt. Love you ‘Chair’!!!

tammy sucks cock

Posted at 11:54 PM on December 18, 2012

shut up u idiot

Marissa

Posted at 1:01 AM on December 18, 2012

Okay i was anticipating the gossip girl finale so much and it was a complete dissapointment. first off i wanted Chuck and Blair together but it was way to rushed and unrealistic. We hear once from Ivy and then never again.. also LIly getting together with dr. whats his face was SO stupid. Also we never REALLY get to see much of what happens with Nate. And seriously the flashforward thing was the worst TV ending EVER.It really seemed like the writers miseed a whole bunch of details and the entire show should have been 2 hours not 1. And Dan as gossip girl was the worst choivce they could have made I mean it obvious they didn’t make the decision it was Dan until a while into the series. It doesn’t make sense at all because he was so intertwined in their lives. He claims to have had real relationships with these people and Serena yet he constantly wrote terrible things about them, and it seems all is just easily forgiven. And they show makes it seem like this whole time all he wanted was Serena and that was always his objective. then what was Blair? I think at the time that they started Dair they didn’t know that they would make Dan Gossip Girl. I mean he used to fight so hard that Chuck and Blair shouldn’t be together and then in the last episode he isn’t even caring that they are getting married. I used to love this show and this was a terrible way to see it off, i think they should call the actors back and re due the entire last episode.

GG12

Posted at 1:15 AM on December 18, 2012

You obviously don’t understand the idea of Dan being gossip girl at all… He used it as a means to write himself into their lives; “You are no one until you are talked about”. What do you think he would start a blog and write how good he is?

Marissa

Posted at 1:38 AM on December 18, 2012

yeah we’ll he took it a bit further than just ‘writing himself into their lives’
I seriously doubt that the gossip girl writers had it planned to be Dan from the beginning considering a lot of it doesn’t make sense. I mean he made it seem like the whole time he wanted Serena and when he dated her he wrote terrible things about her and about Blair too and he was in a relationship with her too. I mean near the end his dad asks Dan about writing about Jenny and he uses the excuse that she knew and she wanted it to happen.. no, what happened is they made Dan gossip girl later in the show and they had to explain the Jenny thing last second or else it would have made absolutely no sense at all. I think they started to decide Gossip Girl would be Dan in the 5th season which made the whole thing rather messy and not at all a good end to the series.

xoxo gossip girl

Posted at 4:46 PM on December 20, 2012

It’s not a choice that they just “made.” They knew Dan was GG at the beginning… that’s not how shows work. You obviously have no idea how television is made. Redo the whole episode? Hahaha. Okay.

Sheree

Posted at 11:31 PM on December 17, 2012

I just knew Dan had to be GG! Saw it a few seasons ago, but biggest clue was when he got mad at Serena for videotaping them and then GG also said she didn’t exist anymore.

Nooooooooooo!

Posted at 11:27 PM on December 17, 2012

Also why didn’t Lily and Rufus get back together!? I was shocked when i saw Rufus and Lisa Loeb (real life singer/songwriter) and Lilly back together with William dies she know he brought Ivy there all so he could use her to get Lily back? but i laughed when Mayor Bloomberg cameoed saying i thought it’d be Dorota

Elle

Posted at 11:14 PM on December 17, 2012

It’s true that I quit Gossip Girl mid-season 3, but I never really cared about GG identity. Although, from what I remember of the show, Dan being her makes very little sense.

Me.

Posted at 10:33 PM on December 17, 2012

you said if you haven’t watch the episode stop reading, but seriously!? you wrote Gossip Girls name on the title of this article

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:45 PM on December 17, 2012

The title with Dan’s name in it is only visible if you’ve already clicked into the article. The warning is for people who are seeing the article on the HollywoodLife homepage.

I can't believe that i'm not seriously more shocked about this.

Posted at 10:26 PM on December 17, 2012

Also choosing Dan as gossip girl means that even his s1 and s2 persona was a huge lie. Lonely Boy was not only the master puppeteer of everything (including all the lives subsequent ruined by his actions) but the master con of the entire series. And the fact that everyone including Serena (and the people whose lives were put in legitimately placed in danger because of it ie chuck and Blair )was okay with this…I’m like this is too much.

I can't believe that i'm not seriously more shocked about this.

Posted at 10:20 PM on December 17, 2012

Everyone, including the real life actors who cameod for the episode, and Blair said it i thought it would Dorota! OMG Dan seriously!? I ruled him out and thought that if it were any Humphrey it’d be Jenny then Rufus. What’s worse is that i’m not all that shocked either. After nate gave that weird look after hearing those girls talk about gossip girl not posting i swear to god i was like don’t tell me it’s Sage, but i knocked that thought out and said it’s Dorota they made it so obvious that we’d say it couldn’t be her because it’s too obvious.

Ally

Posted at 10:17 PM on December 17, 2012

Omg I was so shocked that Dan was gossip girl! My jaw literally dropped to the floor. I always thought it was Dorota and if not her then Jenny but I didn’t even consider Dan! I love the episode though, I thought it was a great ending to the series, it was good to see old faces from previous seasons to.

iMember

Posted at 10:14 PM on December 17, 2012

“Gossip Girl’s identity was literally the most anticipated reveal in teen-TV history. (Sorry, “A.”)” Less than 1 million people watch Gossip Girl, and a majority of the fan base has grown to dislike the show with a burning passion. Meanwhile, the fanbase for “Pretty Little Liars” is huge, strong, and PLL continues to dominate twitter. Finding out who the ultimate “A” is, is waaaaay more highly anticipated than this. Like by far. Sorry, “Gossip Girl.”

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:43 PM on December 17, 2012

PLL may have more viewers, but the suspense for GG’s reveal has been building for six years. There are also countless people who are searching to see who GG is, even if they didn’t really watch the show. It’s just something people want to know.

xoxo gossip girl

Posted at 4:50 PM on December 20, 2012

I agree. Nobody cares about A. And it was very obvious that it was Dan the whole show, not that everyone wouldn’t have had questions. But this is not a surprise. And I don’t understand how so many people think they just “wrote it in” as though a TV is just casual plot-writing.

Obviously the show has holes, most likely due to the fact that they don’t tightly follow the storyline from the book and the characters stray. (I.e. where’s all the pot smoking? And Jenny should have been a voluptuous brunette?)

Anyway, great article.

mypropeller

Posted at 6:26 PM on December 19, 2012

I must disagree with you. PLL is the new ‘gossip girl’, yeah, I know it has nothing to do about it, except pretty girls in fancy clothes. But it’s aimed to the same audience gossip girl started with: teens (even a bit younger). It’s the new era. Gossip girl is a mith now :) We’ll see what happens with the pretty little liars some seasons from now on..

DisappointedRedhead

Posted at 10:12 PM on December 17, 2012

I feel like even though I love the show that the last episode was just too predictable and cheesy. The writers paid too much attention to the shippers and the fans and less to the substance and integrity of the show. Dan as Gossip Girl is just a travesty though i get the outsider wanting in premise. I just feel like it completely destroys his character and to push him and Serena back together is even worse. He should have realized his dreams of success not married Serena when they were never good together. As for the Chuck and Blair ending it was cheesy and rushed and predictable and the ending is basically validates every bad thing anyone has ever said about the show. It lacked the originality and depth that the show used to have and it was just too rushed.

Anna

Posted at 11:23 PM on December 17, 2012

Ditto!
Besides, Lily ending with Dr Shameless Van der Woodsen was definitely out of character and out of nowhere. Given the fact that Ivy was keeping until the finale, obviously as a plot device, I was expecting a less humiliating exit for her. That character was used and abused by everyone except Cece and Rufus; she was no angel but the same thing could be said about the rest of the UES club. My point: Ivy was no different in what she did than Dan but Dan has earned his place because he’s in love with Serena while Ivy is seen as the ultimate social climber? So was and is Dan! Sorry but it felt like a rushed finale to me. Anyway, thanks for the years of fabulous free runaway shows! I did need it when SATC ended.

Christy

Posted at 1:32 PM on December 18, 2012

Anna, I agree the ending was too rushed after so many years! I did enjoy the behind the scenes hour, but that should have been totally different and not connected to the lousy 1-HR the allowed to end a series!