‘Sister Wives’ Kody Brown Tries To Prove That Polygamy Isn’t Evil

Mon, December 10, 2012 2:30pm EDT by 10 Comments
Courtesy TLC

The Brown family is shocked by the abuse suffered by teens who escaped from the fanatic FLDS sect and try to convince them that a polygamist family can be loving and not  an oppressive nightmare!

Kody Brown, and his four wives faced a tall order when they invited young escapees from extreme polygamist groups to their homes to see that a polygamist family can be loving and not abusive.

Kolleen, Nicole, Steven and Suzanne are four young people getting desperately needed help from a  Mormon Fundamentalist “rescue” group called Holding out HELP, after escaping from two extremist polygamist groups where they had been traumatized.

Suzanne fled the infamous Warren Jeff’s FLDS community with her mother and five sisters after her father was sent away from the group and was forced to tell his children that he was no longer their father. She cries as she explains that her mom and siblings now have no idea of where he is.

Kolleen ran away from her abusive home in the “Kingston” polygamist sect after a life of oppression. “One of my earliest memories is of my father beating me up,” she told Brown teen siblings, Logan, Madison and Aspyn.

Thirteen year-olds Forced to Marry 40 Year-old Men

Nicole “got out” of the Kingston community after her father tried to force her to marry someone she didn’t like at 16. She tells the Brown teens that she knew five 13-year-old girls in her community who were forced to marry 40-year-old men. “They were physically, sexually and physically abused or all three,” she recounts.

Steven was thrown out of his home and never allowed to return after he stayed out until 2 a.m. one night with friends.

All four are now bitterly opposed to polygamy much to the dismay of the Brown teens even though neither Madison nor Logan plan to personally be polygamists anyway.

Aspyn nevertheless would still like to be a sister wive.

“I wouldn’t want to live it (polygamy) because I have a brain,” insists Kolleen. “I want to yell at the Browns,” she says. “I want to tell them (polygamy) isn’t as happy as it seems.”

Madison responds that she doesn’t want to live in polygamy but “I support my parents 100% because they are good people.”

The Evil Side of Polygamy

She breaks down in tears saying that “It’s disgusting that people like Warren Jeffs took polygamy and abused it so all those kids know is the evil side of polygamy and they’re scared by it.”

All four escapees are deeply grateful to Holding Out HELP which was taken them under its wing.

“These people have lost everything. They don’t know how to navigate in the outside world,” explains Tonia from the organization. “These Fundamentalist Mormons don’t know where to turn. They’re family is cut off. Their life is cut off and they need someone to walk along side them.”

Kolleen, a pretty punky blonde, was set up with a host family that she has lived with for some time and has come to love.

“I consider my host family, my family and it’s a world of difference. I have a mom that’s there for me, and I have a dad now,” she says.

The Cruel Father Kolleen Barely Knew

Her own father visited her home growing up, very infrequently and was treated like royalty when he came. “When my dad would come over, my mom would freak. He’d have special glass dishes just for him. He was the king,” relates Kolleen.

Kolleen warns “brainwashed child” Aspyn: “The chances of you marrying a polygamist and them being as good as your family are very slim,” and she tells Madison that “you have to be a very dumb person to be a polygamist.”

It’s easy to see why Kolleen is so dead set against polygamy, Kody and his wives agree, but they are desperate to show her that THEIR family life is the complete opposite of what she grew up with.

“I was always shunned in my community,” says Kolleen. “Everyone started calling me the devil’s child.”

Nicole Calls Polygamy Prostitution

Nicole tells the Browns that she had 27 moms but “not one was around. My mom was too busy just fighting for attention from my dad.”

She thinks polygamy is “a bunch of control freaks that get into power and it’s prostitution.” Strong stuff.

The sister wives — Meri, Janelle, Christine and Robyn  all agree that the ugly, old-fashioned dresses that Suzanne was forced to wear in the Warren Jeff’s FLDS community were dresses “of oppression.”

But the Brown take some satisfaction showing the abused polygamist escapees that they have sadly grown up in a completely different polygamist world than theirs.

What is especially sad is how Kolleen and Nicole have desperately missed having a father in their lives. It’s so obvious in their wistful comments about Kody, who has clearly impressed them with his commitment to being a father.

Wishing They Had a Real & Loving Father

“Seeing your family, I see it is possible to live it in the right way. Seeing your dad being a real husband and dad, I have a lot of respect for him — it’s awesome.,” admits Nicole.

Kolleen sounds even more deprived over what she’s missed.

“I hated every polygamist on earth, but then I met your dad and he’s a dad…a real dad. I respect this guy and you guys are so much better than what we had to go through,” she says.

The experience of meeting these four damaged polygamist refugees leaves Christine in tears.

“I didn’t know of the problems in Kolleen’s and Nicole’s groups. I thought polygamy was a blessing and not used to control people,” she cries.

So Kody gets his wish — he convinces the abused escapees that polygamy isn’t all bad, but he and his wives and children face a sobering reality — polygamy’s very dark side.

This was the best and most riveting episode ever of Sister Wives — don’t you agree, HollywoodLifers?

– Bonnie Fuller

More Sister Wives

1. Sister Wives Go On Attack & Meri Cries Over Janelle’s Cruelty
  2. ‘Sister Wives Tell-All’: Robyn Is OK If Kody Brown Takes A Fifth Wife
  3. Sister Wives Preview: Kody Brown – I Did Not Choose Religion To Be A Womanizer

test website

Posted at 10:46 AM on March 17, 2013

A lot of of the things you point out happens to be astonishingly appropriate and it makes me wonder why I had not looked at this with this light before. Your piece truly did switch the light on for me personally as far as this issue goes. But at this time there is actually just one point I am not necessarily too cozy with so whilst I make an effort to reconcile that with the central idea of the issue, let me see just what all the rest of your subscribers have to say.Nicely done.

not plig.

Posted at 11:44 PM on December 30, 2012

First, if meri was not in the picture I believe the other 3 wives would live under the same roof….this is not a plural marriage…in addition I believe its horrible that meri would get the same amount of money as the women who have 6-7 children…I would not call this a plural marriage.its 4 women who can’t stand each other, but they love the same man…they love him enough to let him have sex with the other women…I believe in their warped minds they would rather let him sleep with women in a controlled environment..he’s not sleeping with strange….I would define it as conservative swingers

Melanie

Posted at 2:39 AM on December 19, 2012

It’s ironic that the Brown family tried to show these people who escaped that polygamy CAN work. At the end of the episode, they show previews of the next week’s episode, in which Christine says that it’s NOT working, that her kids are complaining because Kody hasn’t seen them in a week, that she’s not getting along with her sister wives. But yeah, I can see how well this lifestyle works!

Dee

Posted at 2:28 AM on December 13, 2012

Kody Brown may not be marrying 13 year olds, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a pig who enjoys his patriarchal, ‘I can have as many holes to poke as I want’, lifestyle.
I just don’t understand these people.

Al Pratt

Posted at 11:52 AM on December 11, 2012

If you really want an inside look at modern Mormon polygamy, read Joanne Hanks’ new book “It’s Not About the Sex My A**.” Easy to find if you google the title or the author’s name. It’s danged funny and danged infuriating at the same time.

tiki

Posted at 11:16 PM on December 10, 2012

I know pologamyst personally who are amazing people, amazing parents, just great people. I think it’s painted in a bad way because there are some very dark sides. if it’s all consenting adults? yes, go for it! I’ll support happy, consenting adults in plural marriages 100%

Sabra

Posted at 1:12 PM on December 10, 2012

Marriage is between one man and one woman,and that is in the bible. Confusion isn’t a blessing.These young girls look at this Brown family and see more than one wife,it still is like what they left whether or not their is abuse or not. People so involved with their cult problems, T.V. ect.I don’t see anything but heartache,for all the children.So very sad for these young people. I see alot of abuse in the brown family,it is called the art of Brain washing.

Dee

Posted at 2:35 AM on December 13, 2012

Marriage *should* be about people lovingly committed to one another…this does not preclude same sex marriage.

That being said, what is truly healthy about polygamous marriage? It’s about some damn man having a harem so he can have a hole anytime he wants. There shouldn’t be a pecking order (no pun intended) in a fulfilling marriage.
The fact that he is threatening his wife, Meri, over her reluctance to have another child is a prime example of his superior outlook. His wives are a means to an end: booty whenever he wants it and lots of kids to show for it…whether he can afford them or not.
Why any sane woman would put up with this crap is beyond me.

Dee

Posted at 2:38 AM on December 13, 2012

And as far as the ‘biblical’ definition of marriage, you might want to check your facts. Actually, if you’re totally honest, the bible would seem to support polygamy. There were a LOT of multiple marriages described in its pages and we know that the mindset of the middle eastern region where the bible was written is that having more than one wife is just fine.

former wife #4

Posted at 1:05 PM on December 10, 2012

As a former polygamist wife, and the youngest of 4 sister-wives, i can tell u from experience, that there are loving polygamist marriages/families out there. It CAN work. I was 19, and with a young son to support,and while I will not go into detail, i will and can tell you that yes, plural marriages CAN work out. Thank you, Kody, for allowing outsiders to really see a positivie take on plural marriage. Yes, polygamy has a dark side, and yes, there are bad marriages, but that can be any marriage, not just a plural one. There is abusive people and not just in polygamy, but all over.
As a former mormon (25+ years) I can tell you first hand that the religion is a solid one. It just isn’t for me.
Once again, thank you Kody and wives, for shedding a positive light on an shrouded issue. Thank you, Kody, for setting a fine example of how a father should be. Thank you, for allowing me to spout off on this sensitive issue. :)