‘Vampire Diaries’ Sire Bond: Why Damon Needs To Set Elena Free

Fri, December 7, 2012 3:30pm EST by 93 Comments
Vampire Diaries Damon Elena Sire Bond Season 4 Episode 8
Courtesy of The CW

Caitlyn

Posted at 1:20 PM on December 8, 2012

I will be so pissed if they only get like 3 flipping episodes of being together! I’ve waited three years for this to happen lol I hope the show doesn’t ruin eveything. Damon is so different now, he cares about elena, if shes happy and if shes safe, Stefan is working with claus, he’s lying and the fact that he loved human elena, stefan will never be with elena and everyone inlcuding him needs to realize this i think. and is it just me or is caroline being really annoying latly?

TP

Posted at 3:04 PM on December 28, 2012

Damon and Elena are lying too but the difference is Stefan is trying to help Elena. Stefan loves Elena as a human and vampire. Do you even watch the other scenes w/out Damon and Elena in them? If you are only watching the show for Damon and Elena then you should stop. There are other character’s on this show. It’s not all about Damon and Elena.

SamandTarget

Posted at 11:13 AM on December 8, 2012

I believe he should break the sire bond but I also think there is another way to break the bond. Witches have a tendency to be a little shady when it comes to Damon so when the daughter of a witch Damon helped go to the dark side, tells him to leave the love of his life, I question her motives… but we will see…

Lacy (@lace0586)

Posted at 10:35 AM on December 8, 2012

I feel so sorry for Damon and Elena at this point. It’s not their fault and they have to deal with this yet get criticized by all thier friends. Damon is trying to do right by Elena and Elena is trying to do right by both of them. She doesnt want them to end..she doesnt want Damon to leave her. And Stefan just doesnt care if either of them are happy all he wants is it to go back to the old days. If I were Elena I would tell Stefan that he doesnt understand how difficult it is for her and Damon. Damon will not even touch her(upcoming episode theory)because he feels so guilty,Damon is trying to do the right thing by both of them and not feel like he is taking advantage of her but keep them together because the feelings are real which makes them both happy. I dont think Stefan would be happy about it but it’s not like Damon is doing anything wrong. I have a hubby and I always think to myself “what if I do this and how would he feel about it”. That is what Damon and Elena are bonded like. She just doesnt wanna dissapoint him…so what. I do to with my husband if its not going to hurt me and Damon will not hurt Elena. I just don’t understand why its a big deal.

anum

Posted at 7:33 AM on December 8, 2012

So the only way to break the sire bond is if Damon tells Elena to live without him, stop caring about him, to never think of him again n then leaves her. How on earth does this even make sense? Elena’s love, care n trust for Damon is 100% real n true, it only got magnified when she turned, the sire bond had no affect at all on her feelings. So even if Damon does free Elena because his love is very selfless, but since Elena’s feelings r real n she doesn’t want to live without Damon, how is this cure even going to work? Even if Damon tells her to live without him to break the bond, since Elena’s love n desires r real, how would she of her own accord stay away from Damon?
My point is that because Elena’s love for Damon n her desires to live n be happy with him are 100% REAL n TRUE, how n why would she listen to Damon if he asks her to live without him to break the sire bond?
Its really confusing but what I do know is that Elena n Damon’s trust n love for each other is completely real n I m sure Julie is going to fix it n DE will survive this n will be stronger than ever

Wes

Posted at 11:27 PM on December 8, 2012

Because the Bond forces obedience. That is the kicker. She will be forced to live without him, stop thinking about him, stop caring about him. The “Cure” is basically use the Bond to kill itself, and the victims in this case are 2 broken hearts. She must obey. I imagine that Elena would spend the next few weeks after Damon leaves her crying and heartbroken until it alters her enough to adjust her reality.

anum

Posted at 7:09 AM on December 8, 2012

@Mandy Actually Julie admitted that she n Kevin decided which couple is going to be endgame when they were writing 2×07 (Masquerade). The way the writers r building DE up, giving them tiny obstacles to survive n get stronger, i m sure DE is endgame. Not to mention now that the writers have established the fact that Damon loves Elena unconditionally n far more than Stefan, also how Elena is going to fight n prove her love for Damon and not let anyone tear her n Damon apart, add to the already long list of reasons for DE to be endgame.

Wes

Posted at 4:13 AM on December 8, 2012

I said no, but I need to explain. For the Record: Breaking the Sire Bond requires the follow actions, as far as they know. Use the Bond to force the Sired vampire to:
1) live her life without you
2) stop caring about you
3) never think of you again
4) Then leave her, to allow the commands to sink in away from your presence.

That is seriously not an option. It Damon’s defense, he was prepared to do just that. There is no going back after that. So what now? The cure is worse then the problem. This is also a show, and Damon is a main character, we are not going to lose him, so that leaves us with no options. Instead, Damon and Elena will have to learn how to navigate the pitfalls the Bond creates in there relationship. Perhaps practice might help Elena develop the willpower, like the late Bill Forbes, to resist the Bond’s compulsion. I said no, though, because as bad as the Bond is, the cure is the removal of Damon from her life, and that is worse.

Wes

Posted at 4:22 AM on December 8, 2012

Oh, I’m kicking myself for this. The Cure is to take the Bond and force her to excise Damon form her life. ie give her her freedom by taking her choice away. Yeah right, like that’ll happen volunterily.

NES

Posted at 1:53 AM on December 8, 2012

I can’t decide if I think Damon will ‘break’ the SIre bond or not… Either way, this is clearly the show’s way of getting him firmly on board the ‘find the cure for vampirism’ bandwagon. He will either break the bond and search for the cure without Elena, or he will make a deal to leave the bond intact while they search for the cure together… which probably means the cure is doomed to fail, and they will have to find another way to get Elena’s free will back

Shaun

Posted at 12:37 AM on December 8, 2012

I really hope Damon decides to break his bond with Elena next episode. Some kind of one last day together with the winter wonderland trip to the Cabin. It would be so good if thats how they ended the next episode and then TVD did something they almost never do. Actually make a timeskip over the “holiday hiatus.” It would be cool to have Damon get brought back to town to help with something like another member of the Five, or Shanes evil plot after a heartbreaking exit.

Carrie

Posted at 12:13 AM on December 8, 2012

The old quote is SO true… “If you love someone, set them free, if they return they’re forever yours.” He has to let her go, so everyone (including each of them) will know they are connected of their own free will & feelings. Besides, this is a TV Show (much like a Soap Opera) — can’t let your star-crossed lovers be happy too much. Things get boring! XO

anum

Posted at 9:52 PM on December 7, 2012

@jenna A majority of TVD fans r DE fans, it has been repeatedly said n proven in polls, discussion boards n by bloggers. A show is bound to have an episode or two with bad ratings. One Tree Hill had Leyton as the majority ship n yet they had a few bad rated episodes, Gossip Girl’s majority ship was Chair n they still had a few low rated episodes as well but did that ever diminsh the fact that they are popular ships? Never. 4×04 n 4×07 were both advertised as DE-focused were two of the highest rated episodes this season n the whole show. My point is that just because there was one episode with low ratings doesn’t mean that DE isn’t a majority because fact is that it is the most popular ship in this love triangle.

@Mandy ‘Elena ends up with Stefan again (which she will)’ How can u be so sure of that? Because from where I m watching the show, any chances of SE getting back together ever, diminished when Elena chose Damon n slept with him, when she repeatedly stood up to Caroline n Bonnie n defended Damon, when she repeatedly admitted she is happy n more alive with him, when she begged Damon to not tear her away from him, when she fought for her n Damon n didn’t let him set her free because all she wants now is him. Elena broke up with Stefan n slept with Damon off her own accord, it was her own decision n desire n people r kidding themselves if they think Elena will ever run back to Stefan, going back n forth b/w Damon n Stefan is morally reprehensible because (unlike other love triangles) they r BROTHERS. The writers have spent 4 years in building DE n still continue to because they r heavily invested in this ship, and once the sire bond is out of the way n Elena still chooses Damon, they will be stronger than ever before n will be endgame.

jenna

Posted at 11:04 PM on December 7, 2012

Yeah so I’m not buying the whole Delena’s win all polls thing. There a literally over 2 million people who watch the show. Polls, comments, whatever literally have at the most under 100 votes. Don’t even get me started on the teen choice, I just have this image of a bunch of 40 year olds pretending to be a teen and voting over and over again. Kinda comes short of a couple of million. Unless you literally knock on every door and ask however many people in the house watch the show you can’t just assume everyone loves Delena. There are fans of the show as a whole. Those people plus “Stelena’s” are so tired of the Delena Diaries.

TP

Posted at 3:11 PM on December 28, 2012

I agree with you on this one. I do not believe they are the majority. Not everyone who watches the show does those dumb polls. I think DE fans look for polls to vote on. The ratings for show have dropped since DE have gotten together. I am a Stelena fan and always will be but I am losing interest in the show because they are focusing on Delena. I agree I am also tired of the Delena Diaries. I want the show to capture the magic of S1 & S2 when it was actually The Vampire Diaries and focused on all character’s of the show.

Mandy

Posted at 3:12 AM on December 8, 2012

Again, it’s a triangle. There is no endgame couple yet. Elena has plenty of time and space and potential to waver between the brothers for quite some time. I may be a Delena fan, but I acknowledge she still has a thing with Stefan, and that thing is far from dead. The endgame couple will be an uncertainty until the series finale; I’d bet money on it.

jenna

Posted at 7:19 PM on December 7, 2012

Just read that the ratings went down down down for TVD’s. Funny that “Delena’s” are constantly bragging how they are the majority Well last week and this week you guys got your make out scenes and look at the ratings. Don’t even bother with any excuses. Looks like the MAJORITY of TVD’s viewers are not watching anymore. After last nights epiosde me and my friends are out too.

Mandy

Posted at 8:13 PM on December 7, 2012

The ratings are probably down because it’s close to Christmas. And if they are down because Team Stefan is throwing a fit… Well, it only proves you were into it for the masturbatory fantasy. I don’t see Matt/Caroline fans throwing a fit. Several fans have gone from Tyler/Caroline to Caroline/Klaus. The entire premise of the show is romantic entanglement: it’s advertised as a triangle. And the Salvatore brothers and Elena are not the only one anymore.

So many other aspects of the show are brilliant. Paul Wesley is THRILLED to play a darker Stefan. Bonnie is about to unknowingly tap into dangerous magic. Main characters die left and right; where are the angry Alaric fans threatening to quit and drop the ratings? I still miss Jeremy/Anna.

But your ship has a break-up halfway through the show and you call it quits? Really? Because you won’t come running back the instant Elena ends up with Stefan again (and she will–it’s a love TRIANGLE) bragging that they were right all along? And you’ll quit again if Elena has more doubts?

The show has so much backing and is so strong and still the highest rated CW show that one team pouting isn’t going to change what the writers have had planned for YEARS. Sit back, grab a drink, and enjoy the drama like the rest of us. The winds in this road are far from done, and Elena is far from her endgame choice–if there even is one.

vangie

Posted at 4:50 AM on December 8, 2012

yep! and i was once, did not even change myy channel, to look at the vampire’s diaries, loook as handsome as damon is, i might be old school for this, but i never fancy going after your brother’s girl, to me that is a no/no.i lost interest in it, big time…

dreal1

Posted at 7:19 PM on December 7, 2012

The fact that so many people voted to keep Elena sired/controlled/brain-washed by ANYONE, says a lot about the fans of this show. It’s obvious who really cares about Elena and her happiness, and who just wants Damon to be happy, no matter at whose expense. I’m not sure why anyone would want to be left wondering if her love for him is real or not. Also, the fact that he hasn’t ALREADY released her, immediately upon finding out, he is an even bigger selfish ass than ever before.

CatEyes Kita

Posted at 7:01 PM on December 7, 2012

By setting her free she can prove to him that her love for him is real and not obligated because of the sire bond!!!

Lacy (@lace0586)

Posted at 5:57 PM on December 7, 2012

I believe she is going to fight him. He needs to break it..he knows that but then where would thier obstacle be? She doesnt want him to break it because there for he would have to leave and she doesnt want that. Damon is in a hard situation..he knows she will be heartbroken because deep deep down he knows she feels something for him but his mind is telling him she doesnt. I think the sire bond is fine. Honestly what relationship could be better if they want it to be that way. She is going to convince him that she loves him even being sired and she is going to convince everyone else the same thing. They’ll keep the bond for awhile until Damons love grows so much he can’t do it anymore. And when he does break it Elena will love him even more deeply than she does now and it wont effect anything…hopefully

Mandy

Posted at 5:40 PM on December 7, 2012

More than anything, Damon needs to break it for his own peace of mind. He’ll be crushed without Elena in his life–but over time, it would devastate him to always wonder how real her affections truly are. And Elena needs it broken so she can evaluate her feelings without the muddle of the sire bond’s influence, no matter how unintentional it may be.

And, of course, everyone else needs it broken so they can stop wondering how much of Elena is real now–Stefan more than anybody. Though I’m starting to believe that breaking the bond will not affect Stefan as positively as he’s quietly hoping.

Imane Oukich

Posted at 5:20 PM on December 7, 2012

I’d like to add that i think they should find the cure now more than ever so that she’ll become a human again and the sire bond will be broken ! No harm Done Except Jeremy Will be the New Bad Guy :D

Imane Oukich

Posted at 5:15 PM on December 7, 2012

I’m a Stelena fan But i Just want to say that the Witch said that Elena is sired to damon only because Elena had strong feelings for him before she became a vampire So Basicly That adds up to the fact that the sire bond effects how she acts not how she feels well That shows us that her feelings for damon are real (even if i would want her to be with stefan :D )… Just Saying…

Sara

Posted at 5:12 PM on December 7, 2012

The fact that they ended the episode before Damon did it is a dead giveaway that he won’t. Thus leaving him open to the accusations that he’s selfish and doesn’t deserve her from every judgypants in Mystic Falls.

Clare

Posted at 5:09 PM on December 7, 2012

I agree Andy, he should break the sire bond. But I’m just enjoying this Elena so much. She is happier and more alive being dead if that makes sense.

I don’t think I could watch Elena go back to being sad, dependant and dead inside again, while trying to be a good little girl and everything Stefan wants her to be. I’ve seen that for three season. Please no.

Mandy

Posted at 5:42 PM on December 7, 2012

It would be insanely interesting if it only made Elena MORE standoffish toward everyone. I’m actually very curious to see how it would affect her; I doubt she’ll just up and forget Damon and move on.

Arah Kelly

Posted at 4:27 PM on December 7, 2012

I think they are a beautiful couple and they have enough fan’s behind them that the writers would be stupid to seperate them. I think that they can try to look for another way to break the sire bond…without having to leave eachother. it’s neither of there fault that the sire bond formed so why should they throw away the love that was there before because that happened? That seems a little to rediculous to me. Her feelings are REAL…so they should be worth fighting for…not just tossed aside because they are afraid of what others think. Plus, I think everyone should be concerned with their own drama instead of picking apart damon and elenas decisions.

dreal1

Posted at 7:22 PM on December 7, 2012

Yeah that “love that was there before” when she said choosing Stefan was the best decision she ever made, no matter what happens? I think it’s safe to say that this bond has a LOT to do with what’s going on with Damon. It is cheap and we’re watching the heroine of this show be destroyed at every turn. Turning her into a mini-Damon who cares nothing for others and seeks to please herself at all costs–well I guess that’s the only way that her actually being with someone like Damon could be justified. Let the fan-pandering ensue.

Wes

Posted at 11:21 PM on December 8, 2012

Wow, extreme overboard much?

Monica Anders

Posted at 3:51 PM on December 7, 2012

Hmm.

That’s all well and good, and I agree with you in theory. But let’s be practical. He sets her free…. and goes where? How, exactly, would you propose they do this logistically? Half a season in the next town over waiting for her bond to break? And then what? He comes back to test it and see if it’s still there? And then if it is, does he just say “oops, gonna go.. again.. forget about me! cya!”?

I think the show has some interesting ideas with this storyline, but they’re also filling the plot with more holes than a pound of swiss. Not to mention the fact that they’re going to start painting themselves into a corner with this if they’re not careful.

But mostly, I wanted to be able to enjoy this story for what it was.. 3 seasons of two people who hated and loved each other finally coming to terms with what they mean to each other. And instead, while part of that story may be hidden deep in this storyline somewhere, it’s getting muddled by all this sire bond crap.

On one hand, I’d say ‘Who cares what everyone else thinks about them?’, but you’re right, if the show is going to write Caroline/Stefan and maybe Bonnie going on and on about how wrong this relationship is, it’s going to feel kindof gross to watch it play out because eventually it’ll creep into my head, too. And that’s the last thing I want.

But thank you, Andy. I love your recaps and your thoughts about the stories. It always shows how much you love the show. :)

maren

Posted at 4:55 PM on December 7, 2012

@Monica Anders…I LOVE everything you said!! Exactly what I was thinking! I know he should let her go but how is that going to work? We have waited 3 seasons for Delena, and all we get is two episodes? and now they are going to be yanked away from each other?! It’s a bit ridiculous, really. I keep thinking they are trying to create something with Caroline and Stefan and I hope the writers do go that route. Let’s leave Damon and Elena alone for at least a little while! :) And I used to be Team Stefan! All of season 1, I rooted for Stefan. But then season 2 started, and I began to see Damon in a new light. And now, after 3.5 seasons, it is clear who truly loves Elena for exactly who she is and where she is. Damon has loved her as a human and as a vampire. He is her one true thing. He is her person :)

Anna

Posted at 3:50 PM on December 7, 2012

They all will overcome!Love is real!

Zella

Posted at 3:49 PM on December 7, 2012

Delena forever!

dragon

Posted at 3:48 PM on December 7, 2012

They will always be together!

Lola

Posted at 3:41 PM on December 7, 2012

Sorry to say this but this I just don’t get, I really want Katherine back, this elena girl is just using both brothers, Yh her feelings might be true, but I swear in season 1 and 2 she said the same to Stefan! make ur mind and stick to it!

Mandy

Posted at 5:44 PM on December 7, 2012

Katherine used both brothers. She outright compelled Stefan to love her and toyed with Damon as a plaything.