‘Gangnam Style’ Singer PSY Once Rapped About Killing Americans

Fri, December 7, 2012 2:28pm EST by 11 Comments
PSY Anti American
FameFlynet, CNN

The South Korean performer reportedly took part in several anti-American protests, rapping, ‘Kill those f***ing Yankees.’

Americans have made a special place in their hearts for quirky South Korean rapper PSY, but apparently the warm-and-fuzzies aren’t mutual. The “Gangnam Style” singer has an intense anti-American past, according to a recent report from HAPS magazine, vocally condemning the United States and all who dwell within its borders.

Here’s some context: In 2004, a Korean missionary was captured by Islamists in Iraq. The captors demanded South Korea not send additional troops to help America during the war in Iraq. When Seoul did not comply, the missionary was killed, and several Korean artists came together for an anti-American protest.

PSY was one of several high-profile protesters, but for obvious reasons — like that he currently has the most-viewed video in YouTube history — his involvement has resurfaced and is drawing the most ire.

PSY’s Anti-American Rap Translated:

“Kill those f****** Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives
Kill those f****** Yankees who ordered them to torture
Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers
Kill them all slowly and painfully”

But that’s not the first time PSY found himself publicly condemning the United States…

An American military vehicle was responsible for the death of two 13-year-old Korean school girls on June 13, 2002. A U.S. court martial deemed the incident accidental, thus acquitting the two sergeants responsible for the vehicle. The Korean public pressed for the sergeants to be re-tried in a Korean report, but their demands were denied.

During a subsequent protest, a gold-faced PSY threw a miniature American tank to the ground and smashed it with his microphone stand. Video of PSY was posted to YouTube, but the footage was removed at the behest of CJ E&M.

UPDATE: Psy has issued an apology for wishing death on all of us.

“As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world,” Psy tells MTV News. “The song in question — from eight years ago — was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two innocent Korean civilians that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time,” the statement read. “While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one’s self I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused anyone by those words.”

“I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months — including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them — and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology,” he adds. “While it’s important we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that though music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology.”

Do YOU accept his apology, HollywoodLifers?

— Andy Swift

More PSY on HollywoodLife.com:

1. Psy & MC Hammer Do ‘Gangnam Style’ At 2012 American Music Awards
  2. ‘Glee’ Video: New Directions Do Psy’s ‘Gangnam Style’ — Watch
  3. Baby Will Only Eat For ‘Gangnam Style’ — Adorable Video

how to sing

Posted at 8:01 AM on June 6, 2014

Аppreciation to my father who told me concerning this
website, this website is really awesomе.

chrisi

Posted at 2:57 AM on January 15, 2013

If US solders ran over 13 year old school girl on US ground, I do not think the persons involved would be acquitted…and yet, none of the comments below mentioned this fact showed how hypercritical Americans could be…

Meltrose

Posted at 7:49 PM on January 2, 2013

He didn’t wish death on ALL of us. He was singing about only those families who had someone directly involved in torture AND that wasn’t even his song! It was a cover performance of a song another band had written and he only took part in singing it along with others at a rally against the war. Do some research before spouting off your rediculous biased ignorant opinions.

renee

Posted at 11:19 PM on January 4, 2013

Ok… So what your saying is its ok to sing about killing our troops and their family’s. Amazing, you must be what America has become. Since my grandfather was in Vietnam and i have 2 cousins in the military, one actually in Afghanistan, Im highly offended that anyone would even try to justify what this guy said or sung along with or sang or whatever. Im also saddened by the fact that as a nation we were ok with the fact that President shook hands with this guy, especially since it seems that he is ok that someone would say or in along with a song that talks about killing our young men and women that he commands to fight for him. Him who doesn’t care that but wants to smile and be friends with this guy and others like him.

desiree

Posted at 10:13 AM on December 12, 2012

i dont understand how obama is going to even let this man have his music video in the u.s or let alone let him preform infront of him. He is talking about killing people and stuff and just cause hes deeply sorry its ok?? woah. America’s gone to crap!!!

KB

Posted at 5:02 PM on January 14, 2014

Also, *because.. sorry, my brain couldn’t handle all that dumb at once.

Michelle

Posted at 11:33 AM on December 11, 2012

Maybe him and Jane Fonda should get together.

Kim

Posted at 4:39 PM on December 10, 2012

Was that an apology for saying kill the Yankees or was that an apology for using harsh language? But like he said he has the right. That’s was a disgrace.

renee

Posted at 3:23 PM on December 8, 2012

Once again WOW, are you serious, so you can sing about killing us and than perform for the president. What is so messed up is as Americans we don’t see anything wrong with this because he apologized. So did the whites about a million times for slavery but we still hear about that. What is wrong with this nation we elect a president that his people blew up and killed thousands of Americans and than he lets some anti American sing at our white house for him. What a great president we should elect him again, oh that’s right we did. This is so sick and retarded it sshows how unintelligent or blind we have chosen to become. I for one am against this and not afraid to say that im disgusted that more people aren’t but than again this nation is full of stupid people so im not surprised at all.

Taylor Baker

Posted at 3:26 PM on December 7, 2012

Reblogged this on Taylor Baker and commented:
Hmm…I definitely believe our nation should reconsider the quirky artist from Korea, named “Psy”–alongside his catchy tune “Gangnam Style.” When the jarring truth comes out it’s no longer all fun and games.

Michelle

Posted at 11:34 AM on December 11, 2012

Agreed. My 16 year old daughter showed me the video of gangum style the other day. She said they played it at their dance and everyone loves it. I hope the kids will read this article now and stop supporting him.