‘The Voice’ Recap: A Surprising Elimination Reveals Top 4

Tue, December 4, 2012 9:53pm EST by 14 Comments
The Voice Eliminations
Courtesy of NBC

Two more singing hopefuls got the axe this week as season three of ‘The Voice’ begins its sprint to the finish line! Did the right two get sent home?

The Voice is nearing the end of its season, which means every elimination from tonight on is going to be a difficult one. As the top four were revealed, one more coach joined Christina Aguilera in the losers category with no contestants left in the game!

The Music

Amanda Brown joined Ne-Yo on his new single “Let Me Love You”. I actively dislike Ne-Yo and his whole “whining-as-singing” shtick, but this performance was fun. Amanda sounded great and seemed to be having a total blast, so that’s all that matters to me.

Terry McDermott and Trevin Hunte teamed up on “Feel Again”. Trevin sounded super shaky when he began the song, and the duo had an odd chemistry on stage, but it sounded alright, I guess. The ending was nice. Yawn.

Amanda and Cassadee Pope took on Kelly Clarkson‘s “Breakaway,” which was a bit better than Terry and Trevin’s outing. It was still a bit listless, though. Am I just cranky and tired? Maybe. Either way, the girls sounded good. It was just a little “meh”.

Matchbox 20 were helped out by Trevin and Nicholas David on their new single “Overjoyed”. This performance was so weird, as Nick and Trevin weren’t really given much to do except become backup signers to Rob Thomas. It was another downbeat song, making this episode feel much longer than it had any right to.

Nicholas and Melanie Martinez teamed up for “Criminal,” Fiona Apple‘s magnum opus. This performance was everything I hoped it would be. It was cool, sexy, and a little bit dangerous. These two voices worked so well together on this song. It was just so very, very good.

The Results

-The first artist safe: Terry. Seeing as how I did not include Terry on my Top Four wish list, I felt pretty foolish.

-The second artist safe: Trevin. While I did predict Trevin, this means that at least one singer I hoped for didn’t make the cut. Boo.

-The third artist safe: Cassadee. This was a no-brainer. Was anyone worried she wouldn’t make it through?

-The first artist to go home: Melanie. This didn’t come as too much of a surprise, and Melanie handled her elimination with true grace. I hope we see a lot more of her in the future.

-The final artist safe: Nicholas. Man, this was a tough one. I was personally rooting for Amanda, but knew that Nick deserved to be there just as much. Poor Adam Levine now joins Christina with nothing to do for the remainder of the season!

Did the right two people go home tonight, HollywoodLifers? Are you happy with the top four? Let me know in the comments below!

– Billy Nilles

More The Voice News:

1. ‘The Voice’: Cassadee Pope Continues Her Frontrunner Reign As Top 6 Sing
  2. ‘The Voice’s Amanda Brown Reveals Her Biggest Top 6 Competition
  3. Christina Aguilera Interested In Collaboration With Dez Duron Of ‘The Voice’

Pat Green

Posted at 8:34 PM on December 6, 2012

I read the comment about downloading the songs on itunes and I really don’t like that aspect of the voting process. I think the votes calculated should be the actual calls made. As far as Christina A, I just love her and she seems to sincerely want to help the singers. Sometimes she has a little attitude, but I think that is just part of her personality and I accept her as she is.

Sophia

Posted at 2:47 PM on December 6, 2012

I hate that Amanda was sent home she was one of my favorites the thing that’s messed up about the voice is that all the singers whose songs are in the top 10 on iTunes gets thier vote multiplied by 10x so America voting really doesn’t matter…they want you to pay $1.29 to download the singer performance song so voting is irrelevant why even give America the choice? And Christina aguilera has a real stank attitude with certain contestants she picked a terrible team so the only one to be pissy with is yourself

Sally Aschim

Posted at 11:52 PM on December 5, 2012

Amanda has more polish and poise than the other contestants. I always felt Christina had a burr under her saddle about Amanda, though. She never gave Amanda the kinder comments as she did the other performers. Christina was guarded and lukewarm with her comments of her. But as noted in other posts, America doesn’t always vote for the most qualified performer who has paid their dues. Nick is unique, but he kind of gives me the heebie jeebies when I watch him perform. His might be a song I’d listen to, but I would never go to one of his concerts. Amanda, on the other hand, is an entertainer. Her, I’d go see. Of the final 4, Ms. Pope should take home the trophy. She is a peach of a human being and a “Holy Cow” on the vocals…not to mention she’s stunning.

Grace

Posted at 5:23 PM on December 5, 2012

I cant believe America voted Amanda Brown off the show. I tried voting for her and Trevin Hunt twice but couldnt get through. I also tried the text thing but I got error message that it was invalid number. Go figure…..

larry h

Posted at 3:18 PM on December 5, 2012

Amanda is the star of rhis year regarrdless of the results last night. She is polished on stage and has a God given talent that is star quality. Amanda will be the benfactor of all the exposure of this and will will be the most successful of all the 4 that are left. You do not have to win this or Idol to be a big star. I only need to site Katharine McPhee and Jennifer Hudson who did not win Idol whose careers have rocketed in 6 years to TV and movie stardom. They both have incredible voices from the heavens and are going to be on Smash this year together making millions iof dollars while those who were voted by the call-ins are mostly nowhere to be found. Amanda has that vocal greatness and I would not be shocked to see her achieve the same type of results with offers that are going to come her way

matt

Posted at 9:21 AM on December 5, 2012

I thought Nick’s performance of “Over The Rainbow” was Horrible. It came off to me as odd. He can sing, but I think Amanda’s performances were much stronger overall… I predicted Melanie and Nick to get voted off at the end of Monday’s show. I got it 1/2 right.

marshafgr

Posted at 8:22 AM on December 5, 2012

I do not understand why you would send Amanda home. She was one of the best singer there. Nickolas can not sing for the world. He does not have the voice to do it. You have sent the wrong person home and the people will feel that you have let them down. Christina should take Amanda under her wings and help her in the career as a singer or Celow. Please help her along.

cathy

Posted at 3:13 AM on December 5, 2012

the top final 4 really deserves to stay and continue their best… congrats to the remaining contestant, GOD SPEED TREVIN,, sure u gonna make it!

JB

Posted at 4:05 AM on December 5, 2012

I do not feel that Terry deserved to be in the final four….not at ALL. The guy can’t even carry a tune!! I have never…ever heard him sing even one song where he stayed on key through the whole thing. For him to still be there while Amanda. of all people, was sent home, just makes me SCREAM!!! Come ON!! I just can’t BELIEVE those results!!! Amanda is soooo much better than Terry!

Laurie

Posted at 7:17 AM on December 5, 2012

I am so glad you are not in the music industry!! I would be so afraid for the future of music if you were. While I agree Amanda is a great singer, you can’t compare her to Terry! I mean come on, what the hell are you thinking?! They are in different genres of music. Terry definitely deserves to be there. And if you are upset that Amanda didn’t make it, than next time vote for her more!! Stop whining and don’t ever try to compare two people that are in different genres of music. I can only imagine what music you listen to! Ugh!

Norah

Posted at 12:07 AM on December 5, 2012

I’m really sad Amanda got eliminated. She was my favorite one left on the show. A couple of my DISH co-workers adored Melanie, so I’m sure they’re going to be devastated tomorrow. It’s so weird that two coaches have lost their entire teams. I don’t know who’s going to win this season, but I’m looking forward to finding out. I’m not usually home when The Voice is on, but my DISH Hopper has me covered. I never even have to set any DVR timers because I have the Prime Time Anytime feature turned on. Everything on all four major networks gets recorded automatically every night. It makes my life so much easier!

Jim Buford

Posted at 8:45 AM on December 5, 2012

Adam should have givin melanie the song (I hope you dance ) by Lee Ann Womack she would have one hole deal

Pat Green

Posted at 11:25 PM on December 4, 2012

Whatever happens in the end, I believe with all my heart that Nicholas is truly the most talented singer that I have heard in a long time. He not only sings but is truly magic. He touches everything that music is truly about-touching the soul!!! I would love to see him win and go on with not only a great career, but to see more of what he is all about as a musician. When I listen to him I think of Stevie Wonder. I think he could be a true legend in music!!!

marshafgr

Posted at 8:23 AM on December 5, 2012

Nicholas does not have the voice to be there. Amanda should of been there not nickolas