Christina Aguilera’s Rude Diss To ‘Voice’ Contestant Melanie Martinez

Tue, December 4, 2012 11:43am EDT by 145 Comments

rose

Posted at 12:08 PM on December 5, 2012

SHAME, SHAME, CHRISTINA, QUITE OBVIOUS YOUR FANGS SHOWED FOR MELANIE AND AMANDA AND ON NATIONAL T.V…

rodney

Posted at 10:59 AM on December 5, 2012

I agree with most of the comments here. Christina was mean. Who cares about the props? I couldn’t believe she kept talking about the prop guy when “critiquing” a performance. Over the last three seasons, I’ve watched as she given negative feedback to many of the female contestants. To be such a successful pop artist, Christina seems really insecure. Her attempt to influence voting for Blake’s team instead of Adams was a cheap shot too. If she doesn’t like Adam she should just be quiet.

Now a couple of comments about the show itself… Personally I think the show has gone overboard with the staging and all the dancers. This is the “The Voice” not Solid Gold. Most of the time I found the dancers distracting, as they moved around and in front of the contestants. It’s just too much.

Finally, I thought Amanda was a great and versatile performer. If anyone is ready for prime time it’s Amanda Brown.

Katkat

Posted at 6:28 AM on December 5, 2012

Melanie was a big suck who couldn’t take a negative comment. Refer to the first song. The look on her face. She acts like she’s a nice girl but she’s not. She’s not even that great. Her voice is boring. That brat deserved it

Juan Rodriguez

Posted at 6:24 AM on December 5, 2012

I think she basically hates Adam, it’s seems physically painful for her to give a compliment to any of his team, especially girls, particularly Melanie, and if she ever gave a compliment it was a backhanded one,always a ”but” in them, she certainly was rude when she was ”showing how it’s done”, I mean she has a great voice, but she is not the best out there, ie. Jennifer Hudson can out-sing her any day of the week. Ok I had my rant, as for Melanie,I’ll be buying her cd when someone signs her.

Timothy Holland

Posted at 2:34 AM on December 5, 2012

Hell yeah Xtina was outta line. I have noticed that anytime she feels threatened she has something mean to say. I cant stand her. As my momma always said, “If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all.” There is criticism then there is just plain meanness, she is just plain mean.

Bill

Posted at 2:07 AM on December 5, 2012

Melanie made it to the top 6. Christina was the only coach to not turn around for her.
Obviously a whole lot of people including Blake, Adam and Celo liked Meloni’s voice. And still do, by the way, based on thier support for her.
She’s made a huge impact on I-tunes and You Tube and I hope and pray she has a very successful career. Christina’s team was the first eliminated. In a way some of her negative comments were probably attempts to justify her non-decision. If you watch a replay of Meloni’s first performance, you can see that Christina was enjoying it, but wasn’t “all in” on her decision. I think it was more of a style thing rather than a dislike for her voice. Christina probably prefers singers that emulate her style. I love Christina’s voice and really appreciate her talent and also sympathize with her weight issue. She is human like the rest of us and probably has to deal with a lot of her own mental anguish about her weight. She is still a beautiful and extremely successful artist. Who wouldn’t want to enjoy her success. However, I don’t like the way she tries to use her persuasion to pull votes to her favorites after her own team has been eliminated. I think it’s a flaw in the system of the Voice and it should be changed.
We, as a purchasing public, have the power and discretion to support whoever we choose. I’m sure Meloni will do great things based on the support she’s had. I purchased all 9 of Meloni’s songs from I-tunes. I personally love her voice, her look and her personality. Don’t forget she’s just 17 and has only been singing in front of the public for a very short time. How would most 17 year olds react to the type of comments Christina was making?
Looking to her coach Adam was probably her only escape option at that moment. I peronally wish he had chosen a different song for her but she did the best she could do with his selection. I still loved it because, I love Melon’s voice. She could sing the ABC’s and I would probably buy it.

Seh

Posted at 7:32 AM on December 5, 2012

Extremely well said. Wish I had posted that. Christina was very rude and cruel, not just to Melanie but also to Amanda..The other judges give kind and useful advice and also are very vocal about their own short coming and verbalize their admiration for the contestants talents. This is called humility. They seem to realize these kids are not there to emulate them but be who they are.

Ana

Posted at 1:40 AM on December 5, 2012

I thought they were both in the wrong. Christina I think because she kind of beat around the bush in her critique, and Melanie seemed to have an attitude because of it. But Christina ha a point-Melanie kind of only seems to want to sing moody, somber songs. She got such a cute song to sing second and she didn’t seem to embrace it/enjoy it.

Me

Posted at 1:30 AM on December 5, 2012

I knew something was wrong with Christina last year when she sang a gospel song in a boob revealing dress with back fat.-___-. She is immature. She noticably is rude outside of giving criticism. For instance coughing while Adam complimenting Amanda. Talking to a teenager who at this point was trying to guard her emotions because she knows Christina was getting ready to come off with some BS. She is not her mother and spoke to her to be intimidating. She wouldn’t have spoke to an adult that way. To top it off she talked one of her contestants like his voice was gold and he couldn’t carry a consistent not but was cute. I had thought that she was probably one of the best singers but her attitude and demeanor has left me unimpressed. Unfortunately she’s in denial and will probably blame everyone else for a long time before she realizes her own faults. Maybe thats why she did receive the attention like Justin and Brittany as she repeatedly brings up. I was sick of hearing that too.

Sheri

Posted at 12:52 AM on December 5, 2012

Christina was also rude to her when commenting on her first performance. First she gave kudos to the set designer, then said the only reason the song worked was because of Celo’s soul. Then said it was “a hair under a lot, but you made “a great effort”. Wow,,, go find another job, Christina..those were digs, nothing less. And tell Christina to stop reading anything. She can’t even speak from the heart. Shame on the Voice for letting a celebrity give such a poor critique. Coaches are supposed Encourage, not Discourage.

Timothy Holland

Posted at 2:37 AM on December 5, 2012

Totally agree..

Dbucsb

Posted at 12:15 AM on December 5, 2012

Christina is such a B*tch! And has never had anything nice to say to Melaney. I think it is definitely jealousy! Christina has never been original nor can she ever imagine being a true artist nor think outside the box. She needs to take her negativity to American Idol.

Doris

Posted at 11:51 PM on December 4, 2012

Melanie has a unique voice. I get tired of the screaming, loud powerhouses and it’s nice to hear a softer voice. Christina was rude and crude. I appreciate Christina’s voice, but have lost respect for her watching her “act out” on The Voice.

Sara

Posted at 11:49 PM on December 4, 2012

Cristina never has nothing nice to say to her. She has never liked Melanie since the beginning of the show. I would of ignored her too!

Kathy Hanna

Posted at 11:37 PM on December 4, 2012

It almost seemed like there was something going on behind the scenes. Amanda and Melanie both looked nervous when the bully was at the helm. Christina gave no critique about Amanda’s 1st song of the night and then she droned on about the set (Melanie’s performance). Melanie acted like she was afraid to look at Christina. I got tired of her personal attacks on the performer ( from Disney) last season. Twisted n tacky. Hope they don’t let her come back.

Abztract

Posted at 11:23 PM on December 4, 2012

I think Christina was right, Melanie should pay attention to what all the coaches have to say. They’ve been in the industry a long time. If Melanie can’t handle the criticism of what a coach has to say, she wont last long in the real cut throat world of the music industry. And tonight (Tues., Dec. 4/12) the show proved they listen to what Christina has to say, by having Melanie perform the song Christina suggested. Stop bashing the only coach who has the guts to tell the truth.

Ggallen

Posted at 12:12 AM on December 5, 2012

Your wrong. The music game has changed. One does not have to kiss butt to make it anymore. It does not have to be cutthroat. Indie music and styles are huge these days. Pop stars like Christina are lame. Long live DIY.

duh

Posted at 12:52 PM on December 5, 2012

well thing is something or someone could have disstracted her and looked for a short moment so maybe she was paying attention u wasnt there so who knows what really went on….duh!

Lynn

Posted at 11:04 PM on December 4, 2012

I am a fifty something Mom…who quite surprisingly fell in love with Melanie Martinez. She is adorable. She has a sweet spirit….and I will miss her very much as the show reaches completion. Christina is very talented but has lost it somewhere between the diva attitudes and the bouts of illusions of grandeur. She should be ashamed for her display toward Melanie last night. I look forward to Melanie’s first release and will certainly buy it. That is more than I have ever been able to say about Christina. She should make a public apology to Melanie!

Aaron

Posted at 10:47 PM on December 4, 2012

I am so glad to see that Christina will not be back. Her comments were out of line and just flat out made her look bad.

Dean M

Posted at 9:19 PM on December 4, 2012

If I were Melanie, I would not have given much attention to Christina either….she has no one left on Team Christina….goes to show you what a judge of talent she is… Best to get advice from the other coaches who actually know talent!

Dean M

Posted at 9:28 PM on December 4, 2012

PS…Christina does have a big fat belly….that genie won’t fit in the bottle anymore!!

M B Panda

Posted at 8:59 PM on December 4, 2012

Christina has been a hater towards Melanie Martinez! …and others…. She doesn’t have anything nice to say about contestants that she doesn’t find appealing (for whatever stupid reason) I’ve always liked her music, but on the flip side she’s always been one of those chicks that drnks a lot of Hater-Aid! Oh well……

Amanda H.

Posted at 10:04 PM on December 4, 2012

I agree Christina has been rude to Melania, and Amanda Brow threw out the contest. One of my favorite things about the voice has been the positive feed back from the coaches. So the way Christina treated Melanie was a real turn off.

Alexandria R.

Posted at 8:50 PM on December 4, 2012

The amount of disrespect Christina A. is getting all because she called her out for not paying attention is ridiculous. Melanie Martinez wasn’t even trying to listen to her. She constantly made faces and even cut her off at one point. Yes, Christina was being a bit condescending but she is a judge, one of the most influential and worthy judges up there. You do not make those faces towards her. Melanie certainly came off as a brat who wasn’t getting what she wanted. I was a fan of hers up until that moment. Also, those that are bringing up jealousy… really? Melanie Martinez is cute and unique but no where near the level of Christina. Christina is not jealous of her weight or anything so those of you that are bringing her weight gain into this discussion are bringing up something completely irrelevant.

TL;DR… Christina was being condescending but Melanie Martinez was behaving like a brat.

Rob

Posted at 7:47 AM on December 5, 2012

All Melanie did was look to her coach Adam when Christina was touting the set design as rhe work of someone else, when, as Adam later pointed out, the set ideas were envisioned by Melanie and himself. Christina has dissed Melanie and Amanda all along and Seventeen year old Melanie was simply looking to her coach for support. I liked the Lenka song and Melanie’s performance of it, but I will admit that Chritina’s Fiona Apple suggestion was right on and I loved Melanie and Nicolas performing Criminal – those two should team up again sometimes as their careers progress.

There is no need for jumping on Christina for her full figure just because she has always been lukewarm to Melanie. Melanie is going to have a great career. She is unique and different, artistic and independent and I will definately be buying her cd.

This has been the greatest collection of talent this year on the Voice.

Rozelyn

Posted at 8:26 PM on December 4, 2012

Yeah, I’m done with Christina. I was bothered by her attacks. If anything, Blake didn’t pick-up support–he picked up a problem. Christina doesn’t give many standing ovations; therefore, last night, every time she stood up it was just to get votes for Blake’s team. I was so turned away by her behavior. At the end of the day, Christina is just woman singing for her profession. She’s nothing more-nothing less. She doesn’t need to be idolized… Melanie was being nice to turn away. Christina’s a piece of work.

Wendy

Posted at 8:16 PM on December 4, 2012

Christina was talking about the set and what an amazing job the guy who does the stage setting for the show did. I believe the reason Melaine looked away was to look at Adam, because they were the ones that did the staging not that guy.

Jamie

Posted at 10:03 PM on December 5, 2012

Nope, Adam is full of crap. Melanie interviewed with Access Hollywood after the show and said it was a collaboration with she and Jeri Slaughter (the set guy/Christina’s best friend), but that Jeri was largely responsible for it. Adam is full of crap and wanted to make Christina look bad and looks like everyone bought it.

J C

Posted at 7:54 PM on December 4, 2012

Christina is just showing sour grapes cuz SHE is out of the runnin!! She’s been mean EVRY season!! She tried playin nice but her true colors are showing now that she has failed a THIRD time! Used to thnk she was a great woman but it’s obvious HER beauty is on the OUTSIDE ONLY!!

aviano

Posted at 7:49 PM on December 4, 2012

Who cares if Christina pointed out that Melanie wasn’t looking at her while she was talking to her? If that’s the case, I’d say it’s pretty disrespectful on Melanie’s part. You can diss Christina all you want, but she is an established artist and all of the contestants should give her respect during her critiques. Also, who cares if Christina doesn’t like Melanie’s voice? She is allowed to have an opinion. Melanie is not universally “good.” I certainly don’t like her voice. I think her voice is very weak. She only had one good performance to me. That doesn’t make me “mean.” That makes me a person who has an opinion. Same with Christina.

JC

Posted at 7:58 PM on December 4, 2012

She wasn’t ‘critiqing’ she was being mean!! You can give constructive criticsm without being ugly, but what Christina did was to be nasty intentionally!

Alexandra Nickle

Posted at 7:06 PM on December 4, 2012

Christina always comments on the staging first when critiquing Melanie. As a sensitive girl myself I know that that would hurt my feelings by implying that the staging is the only really great thing about the performance. So for her to have done it yet again, I understand why she would glance away. It looked as if she was looking in the direction of her coach Adam, which is probably exactly what I would have done in that situation. Christina has often been less than warm to Melanie, but the comment last night was way out of line.

DMD

Posted at 8:57 AM on December 5, 2012

My thoughts exactly. Melanie should have came back with “I want to complement your hairstylist with all the unique wigs you wear.”

Jesterz

Posted at 6:49 PM on December 4, 2012

And what was all that singing Xtina was doing after she called Melanie out? I am so over Christina A. “I want to hear you sing like This” She says as she rips off a tune. Really? WOW…

She reminded me of John Lovitz in the Wedding Singer “Good luck finding somebody that can move and sing like this!”

I really think she is leaving the show to be a contestant on “The Biggest Loser” Now there is a show she might have a chance at winning.

aviano

Posted at 7:50 PM on December 4, 2012

What a mature comment about Christina’s weight. She is allowed to have an opinion. You don’t have to agree with it. GET OVER IT.

Jones

Posted at 8:14 PM on December 4, 2012

And you don’t have to smash their comment down just because YOU disagree with what they said so I believe that you should GET OVER YOURSELF