Teen Mom’s Catelynn Lowell Is Pro-Life, Even In Cases Of Rape

Sat, December 1, 2012 12:57pm EDT by 29 Comments
Catelynn Lowell Adoption Pro Life
SplashNews

The ‘Teen Mom’ star famously gave her daughter Carly up for adoption, and has been vocal about her pro-life views ever since. Do YOU agree with Catelynn?

Catelynn Lowell and fiance Tyler Baltierra made the selfless desicion to give up their daughter Carly for adoption — and chonricled their decision in front of MTV’s cameras for 16 & Pregnant and the spinoff Teen Mom.

The couple now goes on speaking tours with their adoption agency Bethany Christian Services to discuss the process of adoption, and how young people can pursue that option when they are faced with an unplanned pregnancy.

But Catelynn shocked fans on Nov. 28 when she expressed her extreme pro-life stance — even in cases of rape.

“Nope I’ve meet many adopted children that come from experiences like that,” she tweeted about unplanned pregnancies from rape. “Just b/c there [sic] dad was messed up they can’t live?”

Of course, her controversial tweets sparked a social media debate, and when one fan pointed out that a mom’s mental state after rape may harm the baby, she responded, “that’s a poor excuse to kill a innocent child..”

Catelynn and Tyler chose adoption, so it’s no surprise they are pro-life. But since their baby Carly was conceived from their relationship and not rape, do YOU think Catelynn should express her views to hundreds of thousands of twitter followers?

What do YOU think of what Catelynn said HollyMoms?

– Christina Stiehl

More Catelynn Lowell news:

1. ‘Teen Mom’ Stars Catelynn Lowell & Tyler Baltierra Living Apart
  2. Catelynn Lowell & Tyler Baltierra Save Lives, Say Baby Carly’s Parents
  3. ‘Teen Mom Farewell’: Catelynn & Tyler Desperately Want Carly At Wedding

Eden

Posted at 9:44 PM on September 8, 2013

It is absolutely 100% correct and/or acceptable behavior for an individual to voice their feelings/opinions/beliefs regarding a certain topic. If Catelynn doesn’t have the right to state her views in casual conversation, then how could Hollywoodlife.com possibly have the right to publish this third-party, essentially hearsay material – spreading it even further?

The day people STOP exercising their right to free speech – as a result of fear, or the desire to avoid negative backlash or offended feelings (due to the potentially inflammatory nature of the speech) – would be a tragic day in America.

Kaitly Peers

Posted at 4:39 PM on July 18, 2013

I agree with Catelynn. In both situations the baby is innocent. The baby never asked for it’s father to rape it’s mother but it happened and a life was created! Adoption is a wonderful thing. And let’s remember less than 1% of abortions are from incest/rape situations. Most of the time people that go through that sort of thing want to keep the baby or give it up for adoption, Because they’ve just suffered so bad mentally that they don’t want that for the baby. So, Saying your prolife but it’s okay if they were raped isn’t really a fair thing. It’s giving the baby a death sentence for what their father did and that is just as wrong and killing a baby due to “Inconvenience”

e.deus

Posted at 11:50 PM on January 20, 2013

I’m against abortion I believe if you’re responsible enough to have sex you should be responsible enough for any of the consequences and dealing with them. Abortion is not dealing with it, its only getting rid of the problem and it is taking a life. Although I am against abortion I believe its a completely different situation when rape is evolved and therefore is the only way I would not b against it not saying I’m for it but they shouldn’t have to deal with a situation some sick bastered put them in

kelsey

Posted at 5:25 AM on January 14, 2013

Not trying to be too rude but… Cate and Tyler don’t seem very happy about their adoption decision on the show. They sound more like they’re trying to convince themselves that they’re happy and made the right decisions… When they’re not crying over their choice.
They also both are in a way… Losers. I mean, Ty wasn’t pregnant but for some reason he couldn’t graduate on time.
They just seem so behind than the other girls and they have no baby! Doesn’t seem to make much sense.
Anyho, they don’t makee adoption look like a positive option at all.

Staci

Posted at 5:19 AM on January 14, 2013

If you are against abortion… Don’t have an abortion! Simple as that. As for other people, let them decide if they want to have a kid or not. In the end they are going to be the ones responsible for the kid, paying for the kid ect, not the millions of crazy people typing ABORTION IS MURDER all over the internet. Accidents happen (& any girl on 16 & pregnant should be the very last to judge).
I had an abortion. & although it was unfortunate, it was necessary. Adoption isn’t an option for everyone & I know I couldn’t carry a child for 9mos & give it away. & I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. I didn’t want to add to the millions of children without homes. Not every child is adopted. Plus, I hate how people (majority of people) only want to adopt babies when there are so many older kids who need homes.
Anyways, I know I made the right decision. I learned from my mistake & I am very proud of where I am going in life. Most importantly I’m happy. & no I don’t feel guilty or bad.
I just want women & girls out there who’ve had or are considering abortion to know that its your decision. Don’t let anyone else get you in your feelings about it because its your body & your baby.
If you’re agaisnt really REALLY hate abortion you should consider being a foster mom or adopt yourself.
As for me, ill be a mom when the time is right… Which won’t be anytime soon.

asdf1234!LKJH0987!

Posted at 2:13 PM on April 20, 2013

I became pregnant unexpectedly last November and I was faced with the decision of what to do with the fetus. I decided to keep the it even though Im still in school. I briefly considered abortion and decided I couldn’t do it because I thought I might regret it someday. I never considered adoption. I agree with what you have to say. I decided to become a mom but I understand that not every one can or wants to make that decision and just like it was my right to choose, others should have the same right to choose. It is at the end of the day your body, your future, your finances and your responsibility so it should be your choice. I don’t understand all the intolerance people have for others if they make a different choice than they would have. I don’t much like the idea of adoption, I was adopted and I have struggled with feeling like my own mother never wanted me for years. I have now resolved that conflict and I now understand it must have been hard for her to give me away but as a child I always felt something was missing. Just because adoption isn’t for me doesn’t mean that I think we should abolish adoption. Those who dislike abortion should be just as tolerant. I think its more cruel to abandon a baby than abort a fetus but Im not putting that idea on a poster board and waving it on the pro lifers faces. I am proud of you for making your decision to abort based on your circumstance and what you felt is best and I am happy that you are reaching out to other girls in this situation. It is so important for girls to know that it is their body their decision seeing as how they are the ones who will deal with all the consequences.

erin

Posted at 3:31 AM on December 31, 2012

This shouldnt even be a debate. It should be no ones decision wether to carry a baby but the person that has to carry it! No one has the right to tell someone what to do with their own body. Accidents happen, not every unwanted pregnancy is a result of being careless. Contraception isnt 100% effective. As most of you reading this should know if you were taught sex education in school. Who are we to judge when someone is haveing to make a hard and very emotional decision. I very much doubt any of you would appreciate being told what to wear or how to look, so what makes you think you have the right to decide something so important for someone else? As you can tell i am very much Pro-Choice, because thats what it is, a choice.

sara

Posted at 7:20 PM on December 30, 2012

She’s entitled to her opinion. She’s very young, immature and emotional. I wouldn’t put much stock in her opinions at this age. She’s fortunate that her daughter’s adoptive parents have allowed her as much access to the child as they have. Personally, I wouldn’t, I don’t think that it’s a healthy situation for the child or the parents. Catelynn and her botfriend need to grow up and move on. I am pro-choice, I think every woman faced with an unplanned pregnancy, should have choices in what to do about the situation. A woman should have the where-with-all to make an informed decision for herself and her unborn child.

Katie Widdop (@RealKatieWiddop)

Posted at 8:00 AM on December 18, 2012

Of course she is entitled to express her views, however many people will disagree. The grown up thing is to respect other people’s views.

Abortion is the choice of the mother, and no one else. It’s not a form of contraception, but for those that choose that option, it may be for the best.

I have no qualms saying that if I were to get pregnant, I would have an abortion as I could not provide a good enough life for the child, and I also think it immoral to bring a child into the world as it stands at the moment.

Just as everyone here is entitled to share their views, so I have shared mine. A subject such as this will always be controversial, but it is the right of the woman to make these decisions for herself without pressure from others.

Heather

Posted at 11:31 PM on December 24, 2012

What about the rights of that little human being??

Trish

Posted at 11:49 PM on December 5, 2012

We use death as the most extreme punishment for the most extreme crimes. An innocent baby should never be punished with death for a crime they didn’t commit. Mothers in this situation need counciling and other support to help them make the hard decision to love their baby or give it up for adoption. Abortions resulting in rape only account for 1% of all abortions…what is the excuse for the other 99% I wonder…

Kim

Posted at 10:56 AM on December 3, 2012

I am all for pro life I do get annoyed when people can’t be bothered to protect themselves during sex and whoops they find themselves pregnant and go for an abortion because they didn’t think of the consequences. However during situations like rape then if the woman wants an abortion then I agree she should have it as this could cause emotional and physical stress to the victim and rape is a horrific experince for any one to go through to then find out you are pregnant must make it even worse plus if she kept the baby it could remind her of the rape.
Any one has the option to have an abortion there are many situations which I do agree that abortion might be better than to have the baby, it only annoys me when the couple or people don’t protect themselves and have unprotected sex and then they have the shock of being pregnant.

pro-choice

Posted at 11:37 PM on December 2, 2012

it’s easy to say that you would do the “right thing” if nothing like that has ever happened to you. perhaps she’d change her story if she was ever raped

Lily

Posted at 7:38 AM on December 2, 2012

My best friend found out she and a product of a rape and that did a lot to her. Her biological mother’s parents made her keep the pregnancy and give her up for adoption. My friend became disgusted with herself and even went through therapy She is fine now of course, I think it was just the shock of the news. Unless you are in someone’s shoes you cannot fathom. Sadly, she could not develop any type of relationship with her bio mom after she came of age. The trigger was too much for the woman. We can give our opinions on the subject, but we will never know anyone’s whole story. Your opinion is important, but the best thing to do is not judge someone if something has already been done, but offer them love and support because you have no idea how they are feeling. Maybe an inkling, but that is not enough to judge as every situation and person is vastly different.

Michelle

Posted at 3:35 AM on December 2, 2012

Man does she ever look like her homly mother April! Yuck! Also, I think each case its up to the mother.

Rachel

Posted at 2:33 AM on December 2, 2012

Emphasizing the importance of a fetus de-emphasizes the importance of the woman carrying the fetus. However, with that said, I’m on the fence about abortion. I think women should have the option to choose for themselves, but, at the same time, I think that everyone needs to take more responsibility for their actions. In the case of rape, though, I think it’s perfectly understandable for a woman to want to abort the baby. I can’t imagine the amount of sadness and anger they must feel everyday afterwards, especially with something growing inside of them. Yes, it’s only a baby, but to them it’s so much more. The baby is a manifestation of the horror they suffered. I’m sure it feels like anything but an innocent child to them. With that said, I find Catelynn and Tyler to be annoying at times. They try to convey to the world that they’re selfless “parents”, but they didn’t give up the baby for selfless reasons. As the seasons progressed, Tyler’s selfishness became more evident. It was clear that he didn’t want to keep the baby – not because that was what was best for her, but because that’s what was best for him. He knew that if they kept Carly, he’d miss out on the rest of his life. Catelynn, on the other hand, only gave up the baby because she thought she’d lose Tyler if they didn’t. They definitely don’t deserve to be on the pedestal that they’re on.

LC

Posted at 4:50 AM on December 2, 2012

They most definitely do deserve that pedestal. Those are not ‘reasons’ they gave up the baby. You’re forgetting they first made the choice to LET THE CHILD LIVE. Not only did they decide to give the child life, they decided to make sure it had a better life than they, wisely, knew they were unable to provide. They did the best thing for every person in the situation, and yet gave up the most. They didn’t kill it and give it over with, they live every day knowing their child is on the earth, that a nice couple got blessed with. I can’t imagine a thing more unselfish. Not to mention, most relationships would not withstand this. With all of the hurt and emotions, it would be easy for a lot of people to be resentful, blame, and push each other away. If either had guilt, it definitely would have split them up. So you can tell they both believe they did what was right. Unselfish.

Tamara Duijvestijn

Posted at 5:04 PM on December 2, 2012

They absolutely made the best choice they could do! They’re really good rolmodels :)

wifemomchristian

Posted at 12:30 AM on December 2, 2012

I applaud her, she and Tyler made a good decision for them. I too feel that in cases of rape, incest, etc. that the children should be given for adoption. Very much pro life ! Go Catelynn!

woo

Posted at 9:59 PM on December 1, 2012

people say a womens mental state is bad for the baby, so that means we should never give it a chance of life outside the womb? Thats where abortion should be replaced with adoption, problem solved.

meg

Posted at 8:49 PM on December 1, 2012

its a personal choice and I believe in freedom over our own bodies. I can’t imagine the trauma of rape, let alone discovering it also resulted in a pregnancy. its probably hard enough taking antiretroviral drugs wondering if your rapist has aids or hep c to top things off.

max

Posted at 6:40 PM on December 1, 2012

Killing an innocent child only because his dad is an animal makes no sense. Let’s make a deal, death penalty for the raper and a new family for the baby if her mother doesn’t want him.

Karina. :]

Posted at 5:10 PM on December 1, 2012

Abortion will always be a topic of debate…and yes, adoption can be an option, but in the case of a woman being raped, I completely understand that the baby doesn’t deserve it, but I can also understand if a woman decides to get an abortion. A rape is a rape, but there are times when women are raped quite aggressively and just treated like animals, and to have that constant reminder (the baby) with you at least for nine months, can be very traumatic. I think that unless a person goes through that experience, we can’t really say if we support or are against abortion. But looking from the women’s perspective and how traumatic a rape can be, I am on the ‘pro-choice’ side. It depend’s on each individual woman, their mentality and ability to cope with the situation and how they can, if possible, recover from what they went through.

Elena

Posted at 2:51 PM on December 1, 2012

Catelynn is very young and it seems like she has no idea how being pregnant with a rapists child can affect the mother mentally. The mothers sub concious is triggerd pemanently by the existence of the baby in her tommy and it is possible that she will suffer of a mental illness for the rest of her life. The baby can be affected, too, and suffer for the rest of her/ his life.
Catelynn doesn´t want people to decide about wether a baby can live or not but she doesn´t care about the mother who has no decision about her life at all – that is a paradoxon.
However, the most important thing is that there is a psychologist or councesler involved.
And another question ist the ethical definition of what life is.
All these different aspects have to be considered an the decision should be made from case to case.

meg

Posted at 4:23 PM on December 1, 2012

Elena, your comment makes no sense..That innocent child did nothing to deserve to be killed. They still are a part of you. So thankful for those mothers that did go through something so tramatic as this and loved their child enough to give them the gift of life. You can youtube videos of children who are born due to their mother being raped and are so thankful for life. These children become great things and many have become an incredible inspiration to others. The obvious response to this is that I’m not considering womens rights and the suffering that they would bare. There are so many women who think this and then when they do go though with an abortion, they suffer even more from the aftermath of getting an abortion. The mental aspect of having an abortion can be unbearable to some woman and they suffer from just what you are talking about. Despression, anxiety and numerous other disorders. Please do research on something like this before you post.

ally

Posted at 12:45 PM on December 26, 2012

when a woman is raped, there is no easy answers to the decisions one must make after finding out not only did this woman have to endure the physical trauma but the psychological trauma of what has happened to her. Now she is going to be constantly reminded of her rape at one of her most vulnerable and horrific times in her life because she is now pregnant? I dont feel anyone has a right to determine what she must do in her most personal circumstances. There is no person to judge but God in this situation. This will definitely have to be up to the woman and what is best for her and thats all there is to it.

Kate

Posted at 12:31 AM on December 2, 2012

Catelynn is not to young to make an informed decision just because she doesnt agree with what your beliefs are. Yes women are raped every minute but out of evil a beautiful thing came about. A child who can be given to a family not able to carry. I know women that have been raped and have kept the child. One is raising the child with her husband and other kids. Women can do this. regardless if you get pregnant or not yes you are going to have mental issues but those can be worked on everyday in counseling. There is NEVER a good enough reason to kill a child. Plus most of the population uses it as birth control anyways. And a rape is Tramatic period. One isnt more tramatic as the next and for the person above you to comment that is just sad. Out of something evil comes a blessing from GOD. Even if you dont believe in Him, He exists. Think of the way you breathe the way your heart beats, the love you feel inside yourself. All that comes from the good LORD himself. So when you KILL one of his children he cries for you. Just remember your day of judgement will come. Even when we ask for forgiveness we will be judged. And you will meet that child you killed. Love, a baby is love plain and simple. A bundle of joy and love and kisses. If you dont want to raise that baby because of what happened there are many many families out there that would cherrish that child all the days of its life! So if this horrible thing has happened to you, and YES it is terrible and wrong and they those that commit rape should be put to death but think about the fast that think horrible thing has turned into something beautiful. So that you wont have to think of the Violence that was committed against you, you can think of the life that God gave to you. That is part of you, that grew amazingly inside of you. Do you even realize HOW HARD it is to get pregnant. 3 days out of the month thats it. Just think before you go and take a life. A life that deserves to be lived, to grow up, have a childhood a family of their own to eventually return home to our LORD and Savior!

Jayu

Posted at 2:51 AM on December 2, 2012

lol!

ally

Posted at 12:53 PM on December 26, 2012

No doubt a baby is beautiful but why after being raped does everything the woman ever dreamed of about having a baby when shes ready and the decisions that will ultimatley affect her life along with an unplanned fatherless child who is going to ask one day who the father is does the woman have to not only lose her power as a rape vistim but also lose her power as whether she wants to ensure the pain of giving up her right to choose when she wants to give birth or give a baby up for adoption, there are many people who wouldnt be able to carry a baby for nine months to give it up for adoption. The rapist already took her dignity, now hes going to carry his power to make a woman have a baby when she isnt ready, that seems like more harm than the abortion to me