Mom Of Toddler Killed By Wild Dogs Won’t Be Prosecuted

Thu, November 29, 2012 11:02am EDT by 15 Comments
Pittsburgh Zoo Accident Mom
Handout

When Maddox Derkosh, 2, was mauled to death after falling into a wild dog exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo on Nov. 4, his mom faced harsh criticism. Now, police are saying she won’t be charged with any crimes — but the zoo is still being investigated

The mother of a Pittsburgh toddler who was mauled to death on Nov. 4 at the Pittsburgh Zoo inside the African painted dogs exhibit won’t be prosecuted in connection with the violent death.

But authorities are still looking into the zoo for possible criminal negligence.

On Nov. 28, Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. said the death of Maddox Derkosh, 2, at the zoo was a “tragic accident.” His mother, Elizabeth Derkosh, 34, brought the boy to the zoo, and lifted him up on the rail at the African painted dogs exhibit on Nov. to see better.

Witnesses say the boy then lunged forward, and fell into the exhibit, where he was attacked by the dogs and died from blood loss.

“Very unfortunately, in this situation, the dogs were doing what the dogs would normally do,” Dr. Baker said during a press conference from the Pittsburgh Zoo on Nov 5.

What do YOU think of the mom not being charged HollyMoms?

– Christina Stiehl

More Maddox Derkosh news:

1. Identity Revealed Of Boy, 2, Who Was Killed By African Dogs At Zoo
  2. Child Killed By African Dogs At Zoo Died In Several Agonizing Minutes
  3. Child Mauled To Death By 11 African Dogs At Pittsburgh Zoo

Kieataya

Posted at 10:01 PM on April 3, 2013

I think she should be charged for negligence and man slaughter. EVERYONE knows about not putting kids on ledges like that. It’s not only posted all over the zoo but it’s just plain common sense. Just because she lost her child, I don’t think that’s enough punishment. It may be the worst pain a parent will ever go through but if it was someone elses kid she did that with she’d be charged in a heartbeat. There is no such thing as “she’ll suffer enough.” That’s bullhockey. That woman should have to pay for her negligence not given a slap on the hand and told that it’s okay because she’s a mom who lost her baby.

jennifer

Posted at 9:18 PM on November 29, 2012

This woman will be punished for the rest of her life because her baby was killed in front of her & there was nothing she could do. I believe it was a tragic accident. My heart goes out to his family. I’m glad to hear they are not charging her.

ALIALI

Posted at 9:07 PM on November 29, 2012

Dont Judge, you have not walk a mile in her shoes! I think losing her child is enough suffering! Accident and mistake happen, some more costly than other! In the eye of GOD, all sins are the same!

Marcia

Posted at 2:37 PM on November 29, 2012

It was a horrible accident…but I think the mother should be charged. She blatantly disobeyed warning signs and put her son up on the railing. Think about the parents that “forget” that their kid is in the car and leave them in the 100 degree weather to bake to death. I’m sure it’s not intentional either. I see no difference here. She is 100000% responsible for his death.

tiki

Posted at 2:25 PM on November 29, 2012

ffs…. the zoo should not be charged. some women lacked common sense and her kid died because off it. just look at it as a horrible accident.

Sabra

Posted at 1:07 PM on November 29, 2012

The Zoo should have big warning signs. Don’t lift children up to see animals. Accident’s happen. In this case it was a accident of the mother’s brain. And her child died. A real wake up call for future families visiting zoo’s.

Shelly

Posted at 12:06 PM on November 29, 2012

So that’s how you get away with murder… The kid has to be 2, better yet 1, & if you are tired of being a parent, didnt want to be one, or hate the babys daddy apparently you can make a homicide look like an accident this way.

DOYE

Posted at 1:38 PM on November 29, 2012

ARE YOU STUPID OR WHAT TO SAY THE MOTHER THROUGH HER CHILD OVER INTO THAT PIT. GET A LIFE…

SAM

Posted at 1:40 PM on November 29, 2012

SAD, SAD SITUATION

Spelling Matters

Posted at 2:59 PM on November 29, 2012

It’s threw.
She didn’t put her son “through” the fence.

janpots

Posted at 11:47 AM on November 29, 2012

Zoo should be prosecuted for not having safer nets & for the dispicable inaction to rescue the child immediately by storming the enclosure.

Marta

Posted at 12:08 PM on November 29, 2012

It was the irresponsible mother’s fault that the child was killed not the zoo’s. Hope she is haunted for the rest of her miserable life.

Prissy

Posted at 11:34 AM on November 29, 2012

losing a child has got to be the worst feeling ever, especially if it is partially the mother’s fault. She will have to live with that for the rest of her life. I think that is enough punishment. I’m sure she had no intentions of hurting her son.It was an accident and accidents happen. I feel terrible for both the little boy and the mom.

Casey

Posted at 11:17 AM on November 29, 2012

I think she should of got charged with something.. I live in Pittsburgh and I take my 2 boys ages 4 & 3 to the zoo all the time and I would never put them on the railing if they can’t see an animal I hold them on my side.. It’s common sense.. I feel so terrible for that poor boy.

sonja

Posted at 11:14 AM on November 29, 2012

Yes I do she should of had a better hold of him even though she had lefted him up on to the railing to get a better look into the exhibit.