‘The Voice’ Recap: A Shocking Elimination Reveals The Top 8

Tue, November 20, 2012 9:44pm EST by 18 Comments
The Voice Bryan Keith
Courtesy of NBC

One of the show’s frontrunners was sent packing in a shocking elimination, and Rascal Flatts stopped by to perform their new single. Was the elimination justified?

Things went all topsy-turvy tonight on The Voice as the top eight were revealed. An artist once considered a frontrunner in the game was sent home, shocking host Carson Daly and coaches Christina Aguilera, Blake Shelton, Adam Levine, and Cee Lo Green! Let’s jump right into it.

Record Voting

Carson informed us that this week was another week of record-breaking voting. Every artist charted on iTunes, and at the close of voting, Melanie Martinez had hit number eight and Cassadee Pope hit number one! Both of them had their iTunes votes multiplied by 10 for being in the top 10, which is quite a nifty price.

The Music

Christina performed “Let There Be Love” with her team, Sylvia Yacoub and Dez Duron. They mimicked a blind audition, judging their coach. It was pretty cheesy, but Christina sounded great. Should we place bets on how many more songs off Lotus, her new album, available in stores now, will be performed on the show?

Carson then told us that tonight, a new interactive feature was being introduced. The audience at home got to choose which song the teams would be performing later in the show, making this show more convoluted than ever before.

Team Blake and Team Christina won the weird tweet-off and sang “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benetar. Dez further proved why he doesn’t deserve to continue in this competition, with his inability to sing any note that isn’t mid-range.

Rascal Flatts also stopped by to sing, joined by Cassadee Pope and Cody Belew on “Change,” the title track off their new album. I’ve never been much of a Rascal Flatts fan, and I can’t say I liked that song very much, but yay for Cassadee and Cody? I guess. Blake loved it because Blake loves country. Duh.

Adam also hit the stage with his team to sing Queen’s “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”. The performance was a bit low-energy, but it sounded great. I just think that Amanda Brown, Bryan Keith, and Melanie Martinez are three artists who would never perform together if they weren’t forced to — and it showed.

The Results

The first two saved were Cassadee and Nicholas David. Considering Cassadee’s iTunes success, this was no surprise. More surprising is that Nick continues to earn America’s love, regardless of how different he may be. I mean, could you imagine someone like Nick making it past auditions on American Idol? I don’t think so.

The next two saved were Dez and Cody. I was so glad that Cody was announced safe earlier this week, so I didn’t have to chew my fingernails off again. (I like him a lot! Sue me.) Dez slid on through yet again because he has dimples and clear skin — boo.

The next artist saved was Melanie, followed shortly by Terry McDermott. This left Sylvia, Amanda, Bryan, and Trevin Hunte to sweat it out for the final two spots. Carson announced Trevin first. As he began to announce the final name, I felt a little bad for Sylvia when he led with “From Team Adam,” because she knew she had no chance, yet still had to stand there and wait for him to pause dramatically before announcing the safe name.

But all of that was forgotten when Amanda was announced as safe, as shock took over. Bryan was eliminated? Huh? What happened there, America? Let’s get real — Sylvia and Dez should’ve gone home tonight. I know I’ve ragged on Bryan’s song choices before, but he can sing circles around Dez, and no one can fight me on that.

‘The Voice’ Eliminations Reveal Top 4 — Another Shocking Results Show

What did you think of tonight’s elimination, HollywoodLifers? Did Bryan deserve to go home this soon? Am I too hard on Dez? Let me know in the comments below!

Watch More ENTV Videos!

– Billy Nilles

More on The Voice:

1. ‘The Voice’ Season Premiere Recap: Bryan Keith Wows The Coaches
  2. Simon Cowell: ‘The X Factor’ Has Better Judges Than ‘The Voice’
  3. Britney Spears: I’m ‘Elated’ To Face Off Against Christina Aguilera

Lezkay55

Posted at 5:16 AM on November 24, 2012

Such a shock for sure, Bryan was my main reason for watching. So many others should have gotten the boot B4 him. Amanda was his toughest competition. Bottom line American got it wrong…again!

Michele

Posted at 12:06 PM on November 22, 2012

Though very disappointed about Bryan Keith being eliminated, I truly believe we haven’t heard the last of him. Look what happened to Jennifer Hudson! So glad I can watch his performances over and over again on my DVR until he makes it BIG. You go Bryan!

Joanna

Posted at 6:42 PM on November 21, 2012

I’m okay with who got sent home last night. One of my DISH co-workers really loved Sylvia, so she was sad about that today. I’m just relieved Cody is still around. He is definitely my favorite this season. I doubt he’ll win, but I’m planning to enjoy him while he’s here! I’m already looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next week. I always have plans when The Voice is on, but my DISH Hopper has me covered. I won’t even have to set my DVR timer because I have the Prime Time Anytime feature turned on. Everything on each of the four major networks gets recorded for me automatically during the prime time hours. It makes my life SO much easier. I’m glad I never have to miss an episode of my favorite singing show.

Lyn (@lynb00)

Posted at 1:01 PM on November 21, 2012

I still couldn’t accept it. Bryan is amazingly talented…

JimmyD

Posted at 12:38 PM on November 21, 2012

That Bryan Keith can get eliminated when at least 3-4 people who were clearly nowhere near as talented, is a testament to the fact that America can be a little bit retarded at times.

Cathy Rue

Posted at 11:45 AM on November 21, 2012

I am so incredibly shocked that Sylvia went home!! She was a phenominal singer! Reminds me of how Christina can sing. I am still shocked a day later!

Eric11

Posted at 11:26 AM on November 21, 2012

WTF!!!! You call this the voice but you send people home who can sing and keep the ones that can’t. BTW Amanda Brown has the best voice on that show. If she fiesta win that’s stupid. Go Amanda :)

aprg86

Posted at 10:54 AM on November 21, 2012

I was so distraught when I didn’t hear Bryan’s name called to the top 8! I really hope Adam helps him get a record deal. Bryan deserves it and I definitely want to continue hearing him sing. I’m going to miss him! Watching the show won’t be the same for me. : (

awsmith1313

Posted at 10:09 AM on November 21, 2012

I thought this show was “The VOICE”. Based on that, Cody should have been sent packing in an instant. I think he’s got a great personality and such. However, to see Brian go at his expense is inexcusable. Remember, Cody turned 1 chair in Blind Auditions. Brian turned all 4 in a heartbeat. On a separate note, I’m excited that I get to see Nicholas and Terry perform at least 1 more time.

JimmyD

Posted at 12:44 PM on November 21, 2012

That’s what happens when you turn over the selection to a random system. It only stands to reason that if you have someone like Bryan who turned all 4 chairs within minutes, that he ought to be in the final round. Again, more than a little bit retarded, America. Hope you’re proud.

michele

Posted at 12:17 PM on November 22, 2012

Cody only turned one chair because the others already had their teams filled they couldnt turn

rhyl_yu

Posted at 9:41 AM on November 21, 2012

dez is D only 1 left in team cristina
does it mean he’s automatically one of the top 4 finalist?
does it mean he never be eliminated?

mirandabali

Posted at 7:46 AM on November 21, 2012

shocking!!!! bryan was a strong favorite and contender.. he should be in the top 4 at least….
what’s wrong with the voters? i agree dez could go, he can’t sing compared to the other 8 or 9… I hope Bryan continue on, he’s got to… i think many people want to keep listening to him

Glen

Posted at 3:07 AM on November 21, 2012

if you want to point to an unworthy save by America that cost Bryan a spot, look no further than Cody Belew. America seems to have fallen in love with his personality and ignored the fact that his singing the last two weeks has been thoroughly mediocre.

Grace

Posted at 2:44 AM on November 21, 2012

no!! why did Bryan went home? and as much as I disliked Team Xtina, Sylvia shouldn’t have went home! why did this happen? don’t go Bryan!!! :(

Emily Montian

Posted at 1:34 AM on November 21, 2012

You suck Dez is awesome! And Sylvia should not have went home! You have bad hearing! Check your ears!

Blair

Posted at 11:04 PM on November 20, 2012

OMG I can’t believe this . Bryan is the one that
Ale the show so worth to see. What I suppose to live without his voice . I can’t believe this is happening . Is there other chance for him?

Phuoc Luu

Posted at 9:19 AM on November 21, 2012

Oh my god! I can’t believe. Bryan is the one that I want to hear first whenever I heard The Voice. What’s happening!